Hydaelyn Role-Players
How to: Cats? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: How to: Cats? (/showthread.php?tid=9386)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

How to: Cats? - Kage - 12-23-2014

On slightly less RAWR topics going on...

Who has cats.

Who has run into this issue. >.>;

Recently the cat has decided he wants to go outdoors. yesterday I had to carry a big bundle of stuff out at 5am. I had it right next to the door, dropped cat 5 ft away and as I opened the door he darted through my legs. Cue 40min of both owners looking for cat in the dark with cell phones, flashlight and a bath towel. We had to just sigh and give up, leaving part of something open in case the cat loves us enough to return.

Thankfully, I guess he does? He returned. T_T

Anyway, this morning he was particularly happy to be right close to the door as I opened it, sans carrying anything. I picked him up and stepped outside and I gently tossed him back through into the apt and closed the door as he tried to dart for it again.

tl;dr I think cat really wants to go outside but he's spent his life indoors and I don't want him eaten by coyotes. What are ways to deter this type of behavior?

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - g0ne - 12-23-2014

I don't have cats! I haz parrots! :3

But, wait! I know someone who can help!

SOUN-

Ohnowait! ... Wrong alarm...

Let's wait for someone well versed in the cat ways to come along. Smile

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - Gegenji - 12-23-2014

One of my folks' cats like to dart into the backyard and then chill under the patio. For the most part we just wait until she wanders close enough to snag, or wait for her to get hungry and show up back at the sliding door. The rest of their cats seem content to stay house cats.

As for myself, my apartment complex ALLOWS for pets, but I keep flip-flopping on if I should get one. I'm the only one living in the apartment, and I work a 9-5. I just feel like I wouldn't be giving the little guy or girl the love and attention they need.

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - Warren Castille - 12-23-2014

Cats... Cats never change. They're headstrong animals, and they don't exactly take to behavioral training like dogs will. If you try to show the cat it shouldn't run out, kitty logic is going to dictate s/he's just gotta be EVEN SNEAKIER/FASTER about getting outside.

I wish I could help. If you can, fantasia it into a dog.

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - TheBlob - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 01:59 PM)Kage Wrote: On slightly less RAWR topics going on...

Who has cats.

Who has run into this issue. >.>;

Recently the cat has decided he wants to go outdoors. yesterday I had to carry a big bundle of stuff out at 5am. I had it right next to the door, dropped cat 5 ft away and as I opened the door he darted through my legs. Cue 40min of both owners looking for cat in the dark with cell phones, flashlight and a bath towel. We had to just sigh and give up, leaving part of something open in case the cat loves us enough to return.

Thankfully, I guess he does? He returned. T_T

Anyway, this morning he was particularly happy to be right close to the door as I opened it, sans carrying anything. I picked him up and stepped outside and I gently tossed him back through into the apt and closed the door as he tried to dart for it again.

tl;dr I think cat really wants to go outside but he's spent his life indoors and I don't want him eaten by coyotes. What are ways to deter this type of behavior?

A spray bottle of water.

He comes near that door he gets a jet to the head.

This of course is negated if, like two of my cats, he enjoys trying to catch the stream no matter how many times it's squirted at his face/head/area...

If it's a new behavior, it's possible that there is a cat in the vicinity that is in heat or that has recently moved in and he quite interested in them.

It's going to be a constant battle until he realizes that he's not allowed out. We go through this with one of our cats (who's been an indoor cat since we got him at five months... he's four now) a few times every couple of months. He's a real ass of an opportunist in the middle of the night when I get up to let the dogs out... 

Mmm.. Practice soccer? You'll get good at blocking his ass when he goes to dart out... 

/owner of seven indoor cats Frustrated

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - Kage - 12-23-2014

The shelter neutered him before we completes the adoption so I dont know if it's other cats...

I mean he looks outside and he was accidentally let out for a few hours while we slept.

I think he's gotten a smalot taste of the outdoors and liked it.

Would a spray bottle mame him hate us?

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - Kitty Wizard - 12-23-2014

Aaah~ Well... unless someone has some epic cat whispering skills around here, I'm fairly sure that's about all you can do. >.< My roommate and I ended up taking in an orphan kitty like 5 months ago who must've been discarded when someone went on vacation or moved. :/ She's since left with said kitty to a land of warmer climates, but uh we found the most effective method was to use a lot of (kind) foot pushes when entering/exit the residence. e_e We also smoked/had friends that smoked so there was a lot of going in and out. 
She did escape several times though. Considering the house was a prime spot for social gatherings, I'm actually impressed she didn't get out more. Always managed to catch her before she darted under the porch. Also she was declawed, so she wasn't really a climber (in our favour, THOUGH I DON'T AGREE WITH DECLAWING CATS).

And with my cats here at home it's much of the same thing. Use your foot, dive-catch them before they make a beeline outside, show initiative and just hold them if they make any sign of interest to the outside world.

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - Warren Castille - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 02:16 PM)Kage Wrote: Would a spray bottle mame him hate us?

Cats are already beings formed of pure hate and malice, so no, no more than it already must.

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - TheBlob - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 02:16 PM)Kage Wrote: The shelter neutered him before we completes the adoption so I dont know if it's other cats...

I mean he looks outside and he was accidentally let out for a few hours while we slept.

I think he's gotten a smalot taste of the outdoors and liked it.

Would a spray bottle mame him hate us?

Regardless of his neutered status, if there's a Miss Kitty outside shaking her tail, he's going to want to go oblige her.

Getting that taste could certainly make him want more. If Gizmo succeeds in darting he'll try harder for the next few days until he gives up again.

A spray bottle won't hurt him or make him hate you. Most of my cats have all gotten in a few times in their lives when they're being little butts and they are all pretty well behaved and quite loving cats. Smile It's just water and it just startles them away from what they're plotting.

They're momentarily offended that you would wet their sensitive selves at best. Then they dry up and they're fine...and hopefully they retain that the door is offensive.

... or you'll have a cat that has just found a new toy in the water bottle experience.Tongue

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - Kage - 12-23-2014

time to get a water bottle real quick before I get home.

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - Zyrusticae - 12-23-2014

I, personally, am not particularly bothered by the cats running outside since I know they're just going to hang out in the immediate vicinity (they hardly ever go outside the property limits, for that matter). I'm more concerned about them hiding out under cars and getting crushed (happened to one of our kittens, so sad Sad), something that can be avoided by checking the underside of the vehicle before leaving. Our older cat seems to find the smell of cars disagreeable so that hasn't been a problem for him. The she-cat, meanwhile, is still in her kitten phase, so hopefully she doesn't get any bright ideas...

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - Reshie - 12-23-2014

I don't know about detouring it but you could leash train him or build him an enclosure on a porch where he can be outside but is still safe. Our cat is interested in going out the back door and I just shoo him back inside but your baby seems more determined than Rhaps. The enclosure would give him a way to be outside and still give you guys piece of mind. You could build or get something alone the lines of a rabbit cage or one of the tall, multiteared cat cages to put out there.

We have no property limits. There is no fence. There is no gate. It's easy for them to just go out and bam freeway or cars. Our streets are 50mph streets and there's a freeway right next to us. Coyotes are in the area.

I have nothing to worry about. Nope.

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 03:47 PM)Kage Wrote: We have no property limits. There is no fence. There is no gate. It's easy for them to just go out and bam freeway or cars. Our streets are 50mph streets and there's a freeway right next to us. Coyotes are in the area.

I have nothing to worry about. Nope.

You could try to the whole cat leash thing to see where he wants to go. ...most cats just wanna sunbathe and find some hiding spots.

While there are a lot of inherent dangers, cats are pretty smart animals. I'd assume your cat wants the grass more than the road. And will get hungry before it's dark. 

We have coyotes in my parents' neighborhood, and they've never been an issue with pets. As with anything in life, everything is a risk for enjoyment. If he's only allowed out under supervision, it'll probably click sooner or later.

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - Jancis - 12-23-2014

Spray bottles typically don't make cats resentful, but it by itself is only so much of a deterrent without it being enforced with a good habit in place of a bad habit. So expect him to get use to getting a spray in the face or hearing the water bottle and trying to sneak around it regardless.

Considering you have a coon mix, he's bound to have a ton of energy and want places to go. My friend works for a cat shelter and they get a lot of abandoned coons because they become a rambunctious handful.

I suggest finding episodes of My Cat from Hell and watching the ones that deal with big cats.

Some cats you can walk on a harness and they like it. Since he's young, you can probably still temper him into tolerating the harness with putting it on then rewarding him. After that can go for a walk and explore the area he so badly wants to see.

Otherwise if that's not option, having high places to stoop and watch help. Some people have had to put one by the door or a window near the door so the cat can see outside without going outside.

All else fails, play a lot with him. Wear him out until he wants to bat at the toy but is just laying there panting. Get that need for going out to stalk prey out of his system.

Hope that helps.