Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Diary of Ashelynd Blacke [Open] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: The Diary of Ashelynd Blacke [Open] (/showthread.php?tid=939)

The Diary of Ashelynd Blacke [Open] - Ratbird - 01-10-2011

((I left the topic Open, which is probably odd for a journal-topic. But I have a couple reasons for doing so. First of all I figure it'd be fun to get feedback and helpful criticism to improve my writing since I don't do much of it. I prefer to keep any posts IC, but OOC is not going to boil my grits or anything. Second of all, I also think it'd be fun to open up the opportunity for anyone present in entries (or those who might have seen her running around) to make comments or thoughts on what happens. But for the most part, this topic is just going to be Ashelynd's journal and perhaps some brief 3rd person summaries of what she's doing.))

A young woman with a small stature hops off of the ferry from Ul'dah with a squinting smile up at the sun. She takes a moment to inhale the sea breeze before making her way into the city...It is in the market she chances upon a vendor peddling leather-bound books and finds herself drawn to an empty tome. The leather cover displayed an intricate design of a tree, the full scene viewable by opening the journal completely. The price was, to be expected, high. With a hopeful smile she offered the vendor a slightly smaller price, which he refused with a scoff. Again, she tried to bargain with a higher price and the vendor reluctantly agreed. Happy at her new purchase, the small woman bounded over to the inn for a room (and some much needed rest). After flinging herself onto the small bed she sat up and slid the new journal from its bag at her hip. After tracing her fingers along the branches of the design, she smiles and opens it to the first page.

"Empty," she muses, "it feels like a shame to mark in it..."

She takes out a quill and ink and begins to write.

Show Content

9th Moon, 27th Day

Hello. Is that how you're supposed to begin a diary? I have no clue. And now, I'm talking to myself. Writing to myself? Anyways! Today. Finally arrived in Limsa Lominsa after a long (and I cannot stress the word "long" enough) ferry ride. Before that,I traveled for hours across the desert of Thanalan. I did take a small respite in Camp Horizon where I stocked up on water skins. The cooler air here is a welcome change. The sunburns all over my face and shoulders have taught me a valuable lesson about travelling the desert without a robe, but at least the sun does not beat against me so harshly in this port city.

I came to Limsa Lominsa because I had heard of the axe-wielding guild there. Once I actually happened upon the "establishment" (if you can call it that) I was a little surprised to see that the guild house was actually a ship. Though I suppose I shouldn't have been that surprised seeing as how Limsa is known for its pirates. However, that was not the only surprise I got. I had naively assumed that it would have been easy to join the guild and by doing so be able to more easily train myself. I have only one word to describe the experience: PIRATES! I'm fairly sure I have nothing in common with this lot, save for my choice of weapon. To each their own, I suppose. Even with my father's old weapon strapped to my back, no one seemed willing to give me the time of day, and one woman was fairly certain I was nothing more than some city girl who wandered into the wrong room. I knew I was going to have to win respect first, but part of me was hopeful that I was skilled enough already. It was humbling, if nothing else and that is equally important in some ways.

After finding my way off the ship (after getting lost once or twice) I poked about in the markets. Nothing really caught my eye except this journal. Well, nothing that I could afford that is. But I'm happy with this purchase. Unfortunately it did set me back quite a bit on gil. After the ferry ride, this journal, food and a room at the Mizzenmast, I find my purse depressingly empty. Luckily, there were quite a few leves for the taking downstairs and I'll be able to earn back some of what I spent. Hopefully in the process I'll gain a little notoriety and eventually work my way into the guild. I'm no pirate, but I want to learn how to master my father's weapon. If I'm to protect myself better in battle, I'll need to save for a proper suit of armor. Perhaps I should befriend a blacksmith. A handsome one! Oh gods, I hope no one is reading this. I would be endlessly embarrassed!

The light outside the window is starting to fade and it's becoming harder to write, so I'll bring my first entry to a close. I can already see the pale outline of the moon in the sky. It's a half-moon. Like half of a cookie. Alas, I've gone and made myself hungry now. Tomorrow I shall wake up early and set off to Camp Bearded Rock so that I may earn my breakfast and hopefully some gil to spare. I look forward to writing in you again, Treebook. (What a clever name!)