Hydaelyn Role-Players
people summoning Voidsent - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: people summoning Voidsent (/showthread.php?tid=9435)

Pages: 1 2 3

people summoning Voidsent - Aduu Avagnar - 12-27-2014

I know the pets are cute and all, but why do people do it, given the stigma against the void. Obviously, evil characters I can understand doing it, and potentially out of ignorance, but otherwise... why would people risk it? voidsent is voidsent and most people with training would likely be told not to mess with it.

RE: people summoning Voidsent - Ludivine Goultard - 12-27-2014

Let's see if I can put a few in a list...
  • People wanting power to overcome a foe (good or evil)
  • People wanting power after losing something/someone important (good or evil)
  • Someone being tricked into it (see Thaumaturge questline)
  • Inquisitive nature (usually a misguided good scholar/summoner)
  • People wanting to make a trade/gain knowledge (good or evil)
  • People trying to bring someone back to life (good or evil)
It generally tends to be that someone loses hope in their own strength to do whatever they're trying to do and end up relying on dark powers. Some might call it cliche, but as far as I'm concerned most cliches exist because they're generally true/probable. 

Hope this gives you some ideas!

RE: people summoning Voidsent - Hyakki - 12-27-2014

Would collecting voidsent themed goods be frowned upon?

My character has a collection of such items, but not because she's fascinated by the void/voidsent.

RE: people summoning Voidsent - Kellach Woods - 12-27-2014

Same reason why in folklore people make deals with the devil, or any other malevolent entity. Especially since the Necrologos has apparently been copied several times, losing none of its power (hence why you see it at almost every leve tier), making it "easy" for even non-magically inclined people to do.

Right now, I have Kell ridin' the Ahriman because it looks good on his glamour. It is, however, entirely OOC.

RE: people summoning Voidsent - Ashren Dotharl - 12-27-2014

My own character made a Faustian deal with an Ahriman for power, hoping that it would help him gain the knowledge he needed to master the three primary forms of magic. He created a replica of the Necrologos under the guidance of the Ahriman (which he actually uses as his Grimoire), and while he believes he has the Voidsent bound to his will it's more or less the other way around. Hence the Faustian deal.

RE: people summoning Voidsent - Parvacake - 12-27-2014

Hey, in Supernatural the King of Hell became a demon because he made a deal to give his schlong an extra few inches to be in the double digits. Sometimes you don't even need a good reason for stuff like that.

RE: people summoning Voidsent - Aduu Avagnar - 12-27-2014

Ok, let me rephrase it. People summoning the ahriman minion or the imp, icly, in town, and no one so much as quirks an eyebrow. Aroubd haloween of course it could be understandable, but at other times of year?

I get the making deals with devils side of things. I guess I didnt make my question clear.

(12-27-2014, 01:39 PM)Nako Wrote: Ok, let me rephrase it. People summoning the ahriman minion or the imp, icly, in town, and no one so much as quirks an eyebrow. Aroubd haloween of course it could be understandable, but at other times of year?
Because a lot of people don't care for IC implications of messing with the void?

RE: people summoning Voidsent - Cailean Lockwood - 12-27-2014

I have yet to experience it in FFXIV, but I remember back when I played World of Warcraft, there were some people who would like to RP as a "bad guy", summoning demons or being part of the Scourge (the evil undead), and just walked around as any other normal person, talking about these things out in the open.

... but whenever they were confronted with it, they started b*tching about how people didn't accept them playing as these bad guys.

Here's the deal though. If you are a bad guy and aren't hiding it, people won't just accept you. Being a bad guy means being an outcast amongst good guys. Makes sense, right? You can't be a bad guy and just pretend it's acceptabe to be that way. It'd be like if The Joker just hung out with Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, talking about the people he recently killed, and just expecting the heroes to accept it.

These same rules apply in FFXIV, as the majority of the playerbase are playing as good guys, heroes of Eorzea, fighting for a good cause and defeating the baddies... so if you are someone who deals with the Voidsent, if you are RP'ing as a Garlean spy or if you are someone who has been tempered by a Primal, then you have to expect becoming an outcast amongst others who don't accept you being a bad guy!

If you are RP'ing as a bad guy who do or have done either of those things mentioned above, well, then you have to take the consequences.

Dealing with Voidsent is bad.

If any of my characters would see someone walk around with a Voidsent pet ICly (it's an entire other matter if they do so OOCly), then my character would react upon it, because they know that dealing with the Voidsent is a bad thing. One of them is more accepting to the matter than the other, but neither of them would ignore it. Ignoring it would just be bad RP, imo.

RE: people summoning Voidsent - Faye - 12-27-2014

(12-27-2014, 01:56 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(12-27-2014, 01:39 PM)Nako Wrote: Ok, let me rephrase it. People summoning the ahriman minion or the imp, icly, in town, and no one so much as quirks an eyebrow. Aroubd haloween of course it could be understandable, but at other times of year?
Because a lot of people don't care for IC implications of messing with the void?

This. Someone IC once summoned a Voidsent in the middle of an RP right next to my character, casually as if it were no big deal... and then seemed offended and confused, IC and even OOC, when my character reacted negatively. The only real answer to your question is that some people don't know or give a crap about the lore.

Or, in same cases, the people having their characters summon Voidsent know it's taboo IC, but they do it casually in public anyway so their character can look like a super strong, edgy bad ass. And in these cases, I like to think a lot of the other people around in the RP just ignore it because the only other option is to give the shocked and pissed reactions these people want which will only encourage them.

RE: people summoning Voidsent - Oli! - 12-27-2014

Why have a Voidsent pet when you can have an awesome soldier-robot instead?

Or a friggin' crab.

Speaking of wind-ups, I need to craft myself a dullahan one of these days.

RE: people summoning Voidsent - Erik Mynhier - 12-27-2014

(12-27-2014, 02:43 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Or a friggin' crab.

I can make you one as soon as hackers stop ruining my weekend.

RE: people summoning Voidsent - Seriphyn - 12-27-2014

(12-27-2014, 01:56 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:

Yeah I've had my character react negatively to people messing with Voidsent in city walls.

On the other hand, maybe (and VERY MAYBE indeed) you could compare having a minion to someone IRL having a borderline illegal pet but of a breed that is "less illegal"...in both instances, it would be very attention-seeky to begin with, even IC.

(12-27-2014, 02:47 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote:
(12-27-2014, 02:43 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Or a friggin' crab.

I can make you one as soon as hackers stop ruining my weekend.
Eh I can make it easily. I'm just lazy.