Hydaelyn Role-Players
What is the meaning of life? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: What is the meaning of life? (/showthread.php?tid=9455)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

What is the meaning of life? - Erk - 12-29-2014

Or rather, what is your meaning in life? I certainly have my own answer. Or must there be an answer? Should life even have meaning? What is 'meaning' in the first place?

Also, any philosophical role players out there? I'm thinking of having some nice philosophical/intellectual role playing thing going on.

RE: What is the meaning of life? - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-29-2014

To ingest nutrients, metabolize them, and pass on your genes.

RE: What is the meaning of life? - Erk - 12-29-2014

(12-29-2014, 05:42 AM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: To ingest nutrients, metabolize them, and pass on your genes.
Then why play videogames? Does it have anything to do with those three?

RE: What is the meaning of life? - Attican - 12-29-2014

Fourty-two.

(12-29-2014, 05:52 AM)Attican Wrote: Fourty-two.
Figured this was coming.

42 is actually a pretty good answer. In computer language, 42 is the asterisk sign which means  "(insert any value/meaning)". That is, the meaning of life is what you make of it.

RE: What is the meaning of life? - Nebbs - 12-29-2014

Life is to be, meaning is to do.. 

I suck at meaning.

(12-29-2014, 06:28 AM)Nebbs Wrote: Life is to be, meaning is to do.. 

I suck at meaning.

So meaning is the action and life is the condition?

Suck at meaning? Do you mean you suck at doing things?

RE: What is the meaning of life? - Dogberry - 12-29-2014

The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.

Wait, no.

To crush your enemy. To see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

RE: What is the meaning of life? - Warren Castille - 12-29-2014

(12-29-2014, 07:51 AM)Dogberry Wrote: The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.

Wait, no.

To crush your enemy. To see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

That's what is best, sure, but not necessarily what life is.

RE: What is the meaning of life? - Dogberry - 12-29-2014

(12-29-2014, 08:19 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(12-29-2014, 07:51 AM)Dogberry Wrote: The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.

Wait, no.

That's what is best, sure, but not necessarily what life is.

I just want to live up to my full potential.

RE: What is the meaning of life? - allgivenover - 12-29-2014

(12-29-2014, 07:51 AM)Dogberry Wrote: To crush your enemy. To see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Beat me to it.

RE: What is the meaning of life? - Steel Wolf - 12-29-2014

The meaning of my life? To craft the most amazing hot wings recipe that will make people super-happy.

...as you can see, there aren't an awful lot of deep thinkers on this board. <3

RE: What is the meaning of life? - Gegenji - 12-29-2014

Oddly enough, I don't like putting a lot of thought into this sort of question. It can get... depressing.

Mostly because I can look around and see people who are so much further along or doing greater things than I am. I see the twelve-year-olds with amazing artistic skill on DeviantArt, I hear about my friends who have gotten to work on comic books or are group-funded to work on their video game. I talk with folks and they're so certain and definite in what they want to do in life, and are gunning to do it.

Meanwhile, I just feel like I'm eternally floundering. When I was a kid, I wanted to get a science-y job. Then I joined the military. Then I went to college to major in video game design. Now I'm a contract programmer jumping from programming language to programming language and feeling forever lost. I get told to seek certifications, but I don't know which ones to go for, which ones will be valid in this ever shifting work landscape I find myself in.

I get I ideas, I start on my own projects, I feel insignificant and ignored, and I drop them. I've had multiple stories and ideas I've started on, sheepishly reached out for opinions, and lost my nerve when no one answers. I have ideas and concepts still floating in my head that I keep refining over and over again, feeling like they're not ready or I'm missing something crucial.

Maybe that's the meaning of my life, my purpose. To be forever flailing between content and worried, between self-assured and afraid of screwing up. A nebulous life of rubber-banding from emotion to emotion and somehow managing to stay somehow afloat despite all of it. I kinda hope I'm wrong, really.

RE: What is the meaning of life? - Steel Wolf - 12-29-2014

*reads above post*

....*hugs the holy shit out of Gegenji for really reals*

RE: What is the meaning of life? - Gegenji - 12-29-2014

(12-29-2014, 09:26 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: *reads above post*

....*hugs the holy shit out of Gegenji for really reals*

Eheh. Sorry about that. I'm one of those too-deep thinkers, I think. Blush

Too far on the other end of the spectrum.