Hydaelyn Role-Players
Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread (/showthread.php?tid=9469)

Pages: 1 2

Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread - Tiergan - 12-30-2014

Nebula Wrote:Just a thought(and if you don't need to keep them secret) we could start an IC story thread where each of us posts little exert/scenes of what we do?

As requested: If you'd like to post excepts/scenes of what your character does with the Mysterious Gemstonesâ„¢ from your Mysterious Mail and you don't mind it all being public, feel free to post it here.

I will can also respond with what your character discovers in this thread as well, unless you specifically request in your post that I respond privately.

-------------------------------------

Just as a reminder, if you got the Mysterious Mailâ„¢ and character can detect aether or does something other than simply keep the gemstone as a good luck charm, poke me I can tell you what happens! You can also have your character pass the gemstone to a friend to have THEM study it and direct them to me to ask me OOC what your friend would learn.

If you have friends who are information brokers, spies, or otherwise extremely well connected and might know about secretive organisations, you can also point them my way to and I can tell them what they might know of the Sisters of the Red Lotus.

Otherwise, you can literally have your character do whatever they would naturally do, including pawn the gemstone off or toss it off a bridge. It won't affect things either way!

RE: Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread - Antain - 12-31-2014

Vaughn opens the mailbox to the Phoenix Rose. He sorts through the various pieces: welcome notes, a threat, advertisements to local businesses, a tax bill...and two strange packages. He goes inside and to the office to sort the items in their respective piles, but keeps the packages on the center of the desk. Finally sitting in the chair, he tilts his head. 'From the Sisters of the Red Lotus' is on the small boxes. One was addressed to him, the other addressed to Jaques. Curious, he's never heard of them before.

However, he sensed something strange within the boxes. He thought they may be aetheric in nature, but not harmful. At least, not intentionally. He decides to open the box, and nestled in a small bed of straw was a small red stone with the engraving of a songbird. Vaughn smiled lightly, but sobered as the feeling of aetheric energy intensified. He pulled the stone out of the box and saw the energies wax and wane, fluctuating toward a constantly moving point. There seemed to be a path, but he couldn't be sure.

He looked at the box for Jaques. Similar fluctuations emanated from that box. I'll wait until he comes home. After last time he thought of something to try on his own, it did not go well, and he feared going anywhere without that handsome Duskwight.

RE: Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread - TheBlob - 12-31-2014

It was rare that she received mail anymore; more rare that it was address to her by name. The small package was light enough to toss about and the rustling inside promised some treasure inside waiting to be found. She looked it over a few times as if waiting for it to bite before opening it and taking the note from the top.

“Dearest friend,
Blah blah Starlight… blah blah gemstone..”
Ooh. Shiny…

The paper fell to the table haphazardly and she pulled the palm-sized crimson gemstone from the box and turned it in her hand. Her thumb moved over the symbol carved within it with a curious gaze. A fox. Rhysa smiled, turning the glassy stone in her fingers before tucking it into a pocket and leaving the innroom in a hurry.

She found him at the Westshore pier, gaze seriously poised on the waters in front of him as she crept to jab him in the side, “You look busy…”

His lack of movement let her know she was not as stealthy as she wished she was and she deflated slightly, “Just enjoying the view.”

She bounced on her toes a moment, “So! What’d you get?”

Kedi'ra's brow lofted high as he looked to her, “What’d I get who?”

She pulled the gem from her pocket, tossing it to him, “For Starlight. You didn’t get a gift?” She shrugged, “I just got it in the mail this afternoon.”

He turned the gem over questioningly, his brow furrowing deeply during inspection, “I have no idea what you’re talking about, but congratulations on the shiny rock.” 

She frowned catching it as he tossed it back and began to follow after him back towards the city, “Ah.. I think it’s pretty.” A smile grew into a taunting grin as she tucked it away again, “Mm. Perhaps I have a secret admirer…”

“Good luck to them. They obviously don’t know you.”

Her ears pinned back, “You’re so rude…

RE: Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread - Inessa Hara - 12-31-2014

Another evening at the quicksand. The usual rabble about. Sultansworn that are off-duty enjoying a pint or two, the passerby common folk and adventurers telling their tales of their daily life, but Inessa sat in the corner by herself, with a steaming cup of coffee, the daily issue of the tonberry and a letter.

The newspaper was neatly folded as if it were yet to be broken into and the cup of coffee next to it. She played around with the letter for a bit, before biting the edge of the envelope and tearing the top of it off. Pulling out a letter, she read it as it was written, though she yawned over the boring part's. The sister's of the Red Lotus or whatever, it sounded like a strange name at first and she would need to look into it later when she wasnt working or she had the opportunity to do so.

Just before Inessa tossed her letter, she pulled out a small gemstone on it. It was red. Blood Red, with the carving of a shield on it. Strangely, Inessa could feel the faintest flow of Dark Aether coming from the stone.

'whatever this is, it's obviously an artifact of some sort. I wonder if it could power up my void magic.'   Inessa thought to herself as she glanced at the stone, before pocketing it. Inessa was all for investigating the cause of this item's power, but only at a later date. She would need to get through her current work, which was searching for this one woman's fiance or some such. Inessa would deeply sigh, before taking a sip from her cup of coffee and breaking into her tonberry newspaper.

RE: Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread - Dasair - 12-31-2014

“What..?” 

Xavarian murmured to himself, breath barely seen in the cool air that his unbalanced Aether had partially chilled further.  The mage had certainly not been expecting what he found that crisp night in Limsa.   A letter and a gem, from some unknown source, had somehow found their way into his possession.  How odd, he'd not told many where he could be found... though truth be told, he still didn't know that much of message delivery here.  Perhaps he'd spoken enough for it to count.  The duskwight had many questions, but his inspection of this gem set them all aside for now.  This gem was crimson.  He’d barely looked over the letter itself before he felt the strange Aetherical connection the small item had with the near surroundings.  A momentary sideglance is given to a gem of his own – a half sphere cut, crimson colored stone, that appears like a cat’s eye at certain angles -hovering above his shoulder, and then down to this new one in his palm.  There was a raven engraved into its center; were not ravens symbols of Knowledge?  Then he felt it collecting the Aether it'd connected to.  

Xavarian gave it all his attention, attempting to discern just what it was going to do.  Was this like his own?  Was there need to replace it perhaps..?  This wasn’t from his family, was it?  Certainly Soli would have- But his thoughts stopped abruptly to a frozen alarm when the gem’s collected Aether then began to lightly trace his own.  It didn’t hurt, it all seemed rather benign, but it felt to him as though he was comfortably alone, and then a soft touch from some unseen source ran delicate fingers along his neck.  The duskwight shuddered, but didn’t dare let go of the thing.  Instead, he momentarily froze, near literally, as the temperature around him dropped to frigid and, had he not been holding his breath, it’d have come out in white puffs.

The Aether then abruptly seemed to whisk away, and for just a moment, the mage stood stunned, before instinct and determined curiosity had him attempt to follow whichever direction it headed.

Of course, Limsa is a rather unforgiving port city- you can keep going one way if you want to end up running off a balcony, or falling into the ocean.  Still, he followed what he felt as long as he could keep track, but when it was soon lost, he wrote down the direction that it went.  "What in the hells..?"  Standing there for a moment, Xavarian was perplexed, if not rather bothered.  Perhaps the letter would tell him more.  Perhaps he should actually read it.  With a furrowed brow and a huff, the duskwight sets back to head to his room, both letter and gem in hand.  He’s going to sort out just what that was about.

((Posting the little blurb I'd sent in an earlier PM with minor edits.  All these reactions are pretty great.))

RE: Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread - Obsox - 01-01-2015

"Hmmmhmmm." 

Her voice was a long draw, much like one would take from smoke. Irya licked her lips lightly, pausing as the small gem settled itself into her hand. Tossing her other "In"s of various job requests, adverts, bills for Sciarrone, and other assorted envelopes down upon her table, she kept a grip on the ol' crimson shiny alongside the parchment that so held it, finally taking the time to adjust her specs - and, with that, she could finally give things a more... thorough examination, other than the low thrumming she felt echo through it to her own aetherial reserves. A sensation she hadn't felt in years - a small shudder escaping her, her ears flattening down.

"Starlight, eh?"

This hardly fit into the small sum of presents she had received - her company and the motley crew of it giving her an odd assortment of things - none of which (or whom) would be (or give) any sort of gem. Of course, there was the name on it. Some kind of organization? Likely, she found herself responding, her eyes finally focusing in on the little engraving.

Odd. Looks to be a blade of some sort - a dagger? She squinted. Almost could call it a stiletto, of all things. How odd, considering... Nah, with all the folk about who use knives, could mean shite. Though, with how it seems to be... well, resonating...

She cupped her chin, settling the gem down atop all her other mail for a moment. Thinking. Concentrating. Perhaps her Starlight present was a puzzle, what with the path it so presented - and, unfortunately for her, her curiosity had been quite piqued. Perhaps this'd be something that treasure hunter Baragia might know of - but, that was for later. For now, she gathered her usual daily effects, wrapping the gem in silk and packing it alongside them. Perhaps she might find someone else with keener knowledge of them.

First she'd peruse the company library for even the vaguest mention of the name - and take any tome with such alongside her to Ul'dah. After all, tongues in the Quicksand are the most loose, and easiest to loosen up with a steady flow of gil and spirits... and rumors are quick to flow when adventurers begin wandering in to blather on about their most recent of conquests.

RE: Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread - Keroascrazy - 01-01-2015

She had just aetherstepped to her company hall, a light growl escaping her throat as she materialized in familiar territory. Why was that blasted cat so determined to pester her? So heated were her thoughts that she nearly didn't notice the mailbox notifying her of a new package. She paused long enough to retrieve and examine the small box briefly before choosing that inside was the better place to open it. Keroa had barely made it to the front porch before a shifting of the air behind her, and an all too familiar, if unwelcome voice addressed her.

"Well, that was well done. Though I'm not sure why you insisted on all the lights and noise..."
She knew that voice just about anywhere, and it grated on her nerves that he knew where she lived well enough to freely teleport to her doorstep. Her only response to him now was to open the door and cry out, "Halone's fury you are stubborn!"
She had already learned that trying to verbally convince the man to leave was near impossible. She would have to ignore him and hope he went away on his own. She turned to glance over her shoulder, knowing already that he followed her, just in time to see him tilt his head in a childish manner.
"Oh come now woman, if I meant you harm don't you think I would have done it by now? Anyway what's in the box?"
 "I haven't heard that one before." she said with sarcasm venomously dripping from her lips. She took a moment to look at the parcel in her hand, and offered a noncommittal shrug as an answer to his inquiry as she headed to her open office. She was thankful for the half mask, though she was sure it did nothing to hide the irritated frown that had set itself upon her lips. At least she could take solace in the fact that he'd never seen her face. At least not in it's entirety. Her jaw, sure, but that's all he got.
 As she settled in behind her desk, Gunther plopped himself down on the nearby couch, leaning over to peer at her as he spoke. "You know... I do feel bad not rewarding you somehow. It was quite a bit of work you did to get my friend back in order. You sure theirs nothing you'd like? I'm pretty handy as it so happens."

Behind that mask, her eyes rolled oh so far into the back of her head. She wanted nothing from this man other than for him to leave her be! She hadn't accepted that job for payment, no she'd accepted that job because that was the whole reason the company was founded. Arky founded the company, and the hall to aid those in need, and offer them a safe haven should they require it.
 Of course Kero had her qualms with the idea of simply letting strangers move in and wander about as they please. but there was the paper work, and background checks. He had set it up to keep everyone safe. And she was determined to see his will done in his absence. Even if she loathed the idea of forcing herself to meet new people, mingle and 'play nice', as he had put it so many moons ago.
 she let him speak as she inspected her parcel. A plain box, secured with a simple string to keep its contents secure. without much ceremony she removed the string and opened the box, plucking up the red stone within. As she inspected the stone, she sighed heavily.
"You want to know what I really want?" Came her bitter question as she laid the gemstone onto her desk to pluck the accompanying note.
"If the request doesn't involve me getting out, never coming back, or leaving you alone, then please, do tell."
Keroa scoffed, unfolding the paper. "I want Arky to come home."
"Any idea where he went?" He asked in a curious tone.
"Your guess is as good as mine." came her flat response.
"Well, that leaves a lot of terrain open to search. Do you know why he left? And please keep in mind that the more I know, the better chance I'll have the man."
"He's trading." she replied, flipping the note over to its backside. Wait, who sent this note? "Practicing his mercantile expertise and sending money home." Her tone quickly went from annoyed to annoyed confusion. Who were the "Sisters of the Red lotus?" she asked out loud, the question echoed by her unwanted company.
"Sisters of the red lotus?"
Keroa realized she'd messed up by thinking aloud, and with no better recourse for the moment, read the note aloud.  "Dearest friend, In the spirit of Starlight we are distributing blessings of prosperity to all. Please accept this gemstone and think of it as a token of good fortune." her lip scrunched off to one side. "Signed Sisters of the Red Lotus."
"... That's weird. Heard of them before, not much mind you, just a few words here, a passing thought there. Can't say I know their purpose, but I didn't think they were goldsmiths with a penchant for charity... Mind if I have a look at that stone?"

Keroa sat back in her chair, arms crossed, one hand  bent upward at the wrists to give him a "whatever" signal. She avoided looking his way but kept his figure in her line of sight. "Never heard of 'em." She watched as he picked up the stone and began to examine it. She tried to will her tail to still as its tip had been flicking nonstop since she'd sat down.
  "... slightly aetheric in nature, but i'm not sure what its purpose may be. Might just have a small enchantment on it to keep it shiny for all I know. In any case, on first examination its a rock, but your the experts, and its your stone." puts it back on the table, "Though their is an old saying, 'Beware Garleans bringing gifts." Pretty sure the saying applies here loosely.
 Keroa appeared the very image of a teenager being told what she thought she already knew, arms crossed, gaze off to the side, her wrist tilted upwards once more in dismissal. "Beats me how they know I like Saffrons, must be a lucky guess. I'll put it with that damned ring that Duskwight elezen gave me."
Gunther pressed her more for details on Arky, and promised her to have information on him in two days. he wasn't going to take no for an answer, so she gave him the bare minimum he asked for. She wasn't going to trust him with anything else, especially after the mention of his 'network'. Finally he relented; "Anyway, i'll have the birds flying with that alert before I turn in tonight. Speaking of which, i'll be heading back to my office. Despite your constantly refreshing and upbeat personality, I am feeling a tad tired. Have a pleasant evening. I'll contact you when I've found your Arky fellow."

Keroa nodded and with that lovely tone of sarcasm she offered her farewell,  "Good luck." a small wave to accompany the sentiment. She heard gunther chuckle before he vanished as silently as he appeared. Show off. Keroa stood then, and made her way to the small desk across from her office, and true to her word she placed the flat stone in the drawer.
 "Insistent buggering sod..."
She was too irritated to think about this enigma right now. She would think on it more when she wasn't absolutely irritated.

(don't hate me. that was way longer than I thought...)

RE: Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread - T'shina - 01-01-2015

Starting the morning as usual, the young Miqo'te slung her bow across her back and was out to see what kind of work she could find. But first, to see if she had anything of interest in the mail from her sales on some materia she had gotten a hold of. It didn't take long for her to make her way to the Moogle with whom she had already prodded for all Moogle information she could get and smiled at him brightly.
"Anything today?"

The moogle nodded and started going through his bag. "Yes yes! We've got something from Miss Lulash and a mystery, kupo!"

Ears perk forward at the mention of the mystery and she would take the letters offered to her. Tucking the gil away from her sales into her gil pouch she'd look the heavy letter over and turn it in her hands. The Moogle Delivery obviously curious of the contents as well. She'd open the letter and pull the gemstone out and laying it flat in her small hand. Her thumb runs along the carved feather to find the edges are not even raised and this peaks her curiosity.

"There is a missive, kupo!"

Her eyes quickly draw from the gem as she takes the page out and tucks the envelope in her traveling bag. Licking her lips she looks over the words and takes a deep breath. She had been taking lessons with her mate on her literacy but still she had trouble having gone so long without learning quite a bit.

"Dearest friend,

In the spi... spiree... spirit of Sssstar... starlight, we are dis.. distrrr... mmm... distributing blessings or proper... no, prospar... prosperity to all. Please accept this gemstone and think of it as a tock... no, token of good fortune.

Sisters of the Red... Looo... Lotus?"

Obviously some words she was not familiar with or had she read them before so easily. The Moogle seemed to follow each word as if helping her mouth them along, if you could see his mouth of course! She looks the letter over a few times with her eyes and turns it over before looking to the Moogle.

"Who gave this to you?"

He only shakes his head.

"Don't know, kupo."

She tucks the letter away and gives a small nod. Her eyes coming to the gemstone once more before she puts it in her pocket rather than her satchel.

"I'll get Tenha'a to look at it. He might know who these sisters are. Take care of yourself and I'll see you tomorrow."

A little spin was the Moogle's farewell as she turned and while she gave a look of no worries to the little creature, the moment she turned her brows furrowed and she would bring her hand over her pocket curiously. Now what could this be?

RE: Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread - Adeya - 01-01-2015

In an out of the way table in the Drowning Wench, Adeya Evenar sits with a glass of cider and the little box that she had picked up as she had checked her mail on her way over here. Ignoring her drink for the moment, she smiles slightly as she opens the box without bothering to check who it was from, figuring that her little brother had finally remembered to send her a Starlight present. However, upon opening the package her face fell a bit as she laid eyes on what was inside, to be replaced by a look that was more confused than anything else as it became clear to her that there was no way that Kiht’a had sent this. For nestled inside the little package was a crimson gemstone, one with a scorpion somehow etched into the center. Still seeming puzzled, she reaches out a hand to pick up the gem—and then stops, her fingers hovering a few inches above it. Unless she was very much mistaken, there was aether contained within it.

“Hmph.” Hesitating for a moment as she studies the gem lying in the tiny box, she finally shrugs and reaches down to pick it up so that she could study it closer… and then freezes instantly, her eyes widening in surprise, as she feels the aether that she had sensed earlier stir. Before she had time to do anything about it, the strange aether was running along her own. It didn’t hurt or anything; in fact, if she had to compare the feeling to anything it would be the sensation when a bug crawls across your skin. But she certainly didn’t like it, and as the feeling went on she gritted her teeth as she fought against her instincts to drop the bloody thing (preferably into the sea). But with it playing around with her aether she didn’t dare; she had no idea what would happen if she interrupted it.

Still holding the stone, with her free hand she reaches back into the box, snatching up the piece of paper that had accompanied it. Holding it up to her face, her eyes narrow as she reads the words. Sisters of the Red Lotus? Who in the seven hells were they, and what did they have to do with this gem? Throwing the rather unhelpful letter down, she gives the gem another suspicious look. Something had changed in the aether around her; instead of just being everywhere it was almost as if it was moving with purpose. And in one direction too…

Glaring down at the gem and the letter, Adeya weighed her options. She could certainly try asking around about these “Sisters”, maybe even call in a few favors... but that would take time. For a moment she thought about trying to follow the trail of aether, but as she glanced out a window towards the night sky, lit by the lights of the city around her, she realized that there was a problem with that plan. Even assuming that she could avoid ending up in the drink, following a faint trail of aether through the general din of Lominsans going about their lives would be extremely difficult. Unless she could find a way to strengthen it somehow.

“I wonder…” she mutters under her breath as she weighs the stone in her hand, her thumb absentmindedly rubbing the carving in the center. If the stone was capable of drawing upon and channeling aether, what would happen if she deliberately added more to it? Pondering the question for a few moments, it didn’t take long for her mind to come up with several possibilities. As far as she could tell, the best case scenario was that it would increase the trail, making it much easier for her to follow it. Worst case, the stone wouldn’t be able to handle it, and it would break—although to be honest, she wasn’t entirely sure that would be a bad thing.

It was worth the risk. Holding the stone in her cupped hands, cautiously she begins to channel some of her own aether into it, treating the gem like she would a new staff or spellbook, one where she wasn’t quite sure of its capabilities. Without really noticing it, she began to hold her breath, as she waited to see what would happen.

RE: Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread - Parvacake - 01-01-2015

It sat neatly in her palm, the red stone smooth to the touch with the etching of a lily flower over the surface. She could see the aether, and how it was overall benign...but what a strange gift to be given! And...Sisters of the Red Lotus? It wasn't familiar to her.

Her nose wrinkled, perched up in a tree within the depths of the Lavender Beds. She wanted a place to think away from the house and to examine the stone without being disturbed. Her legs swung too and fro with nervous energy, feeling the bark pressing against her thighs through the jeanlike material of her shorts. Reaching forward carefully, she brushed her fingertips over the etching again. It was lovely! And the flower was just like the shortened version of her name.

As if being watched, Lili tilted her head upwards. Just in time to catch an evening breeze filtering through her pale blonde locks, shifting and fluttering about her face before settling over her shoulders with added fluff from the wind. Giving her head a shake, she slipped down from the branch and took her aetheryte crystal from her pocket. It began to glow, bringing her along with it.

Too...well, some where.

Curiosity was getting the better of her.

RE: Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread - Tiergan - 01-01-2015

(01-01-2015, 05:53 PM)Adeya Wrote: It was worth the risk. Holding the stone in her cupped hands, cautiously she begins to channel some of her own aether into it, treating the gem like she would a new staff or spellbook, one where she wasn’t quite sure of its capabilities. Without really noticing it, she began to hold her breath, as she waited to see what would happen.

The gem reacted glinted brightly at the sudden flow of aether, but instead of absorbing it, -- the stone greedily flowed about the sudden surge of energy, lapping eagerly across it in a way that didn't harm, take, or interfere with what she was doing.

It was clear the stone was taking advantage of this increased well of aether -- but not to take. It was doing something else.

RE: Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread - Gegenji - 01-02-2015

Glitter, glitter, glint.

The engraving of a rabbit almost seemed to dance as Chachanji spun the strange stone on the tabletop in front of him. The sound of it spinning was mostly lost in the general din of the Quicksand, but also seemed to stand out somehow to his curious ears. Maybe it was due to the mystery of it all, the strangeness of the situation causing the little Lalafell to focus perhaps overly-much upon his strange gift. His bunnystone.

Glitter, glitter.

Ms. Alex had said that there were collectors looking for such things, yet was strangely insistent that he let her know if he came across others like it. Kage, thanks to his Thaumatergic history, made mention of the aetheric energies that struck him as a sort of "evil yet not." Ms. Hat - or Leanne to those who didn't use the nickname the youngest Gegenji had appended to her - had merely asked if there was a hatstone that she could have. Chachanji himself was merely a smith with heroic inclinations, so all he saw was a stone with a rather nice engraving on it. Yet just dwelling on the words of Ms. Alex and Kage caused his brief desire to crack it open and see what happened to bubble to the surface again.

Glint... glitter...

It was a feeling that was just as easy to push down the second time as the first. After all, he rather liked the stone. He couldn't sense its aetheric capabilities or identify the type of stone it was or anything informative like that. He just liked it. What he did have, however, was quite a few friends and acquaintances he had gathered during the course of his stay in Ul'dah. So, while he himself may not know what was up with the bunnystone, perhaps there was still someone in his figurative little black book that did.

Glitter...

Chachanji snatched up the stone again as its spinning winded down, in those first brief seconds of a raucous cacophony of mineral on wood. Checking into the stone itself seemed to have dead-ended a bit, though Kage's words brought to mind a possible visit to the Ossuary. Perhaps, then, it would be better to check into the people who had sent it - delve into the identity of the Sisters of the Red Lotus. And, if it was a matter of finding someone who knew people, then there was only one place to start.

"Hey, Ms. Momodi..."

RE: Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread - Warren Castille - 01-02-2015

Warren Castille's presence in the public eye had waned a great deal in the months leading to the Starlight Festival. Where once the knight had strode amongst the people of Ul'dah freely, he had instead chosen to batten down his hatches. The affections of the people belonged with those who protected them openly, and the Sultansworn and the Brass Blades were more than willing to be the public face of that protection. This allowed Warren to do his job without drawing as much attention to himself. There were few people who knew where Warren lived properly outside of his room in the Quicksand - the selfsame room he'd first taken when he arrived in Ul'dah years and years ago now - and none of those people belonged to any "Sisters of the Red Lotus" club.

He sat at the table in his private home with his hands flat on the wood before him, the small gemstone engraved with a mountain resting between them as he once again examined it. It remained where he'd left it when he departed in the morning, still facing the ceiling with the crude lines depicting a mountain showing. He'd initially assumed the parcel was randomly delivered, perhaps chosen at random by someone stuck working the holiday period, but the picture seemed to indicate otherwise. His gut felt that it was chosen for him, or perhaps he for it.

His questioning had been largely innocent, well-meaning. The public consensus of the Sisters (and their sibling faction, the Brothers of the Red Lotus) was that they were faithful above all else to Nald'Thal. They tended to the sick and the poor, offering services to those who might not be otherwise able to afford them, and despite their destitute beneficiaries the Sisters are seemingly well-provided for.

All well and good for an afternoon of asking around, but it didn't scratch the itch. Naturally suspicious, Warren didn't know why he had drawn the attention of these philanthropists. There had to be something more to it.

RE: Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread - Lady Rivienne - 01-02-2015

Under the caress of shadow, her features remain cool and hidden from the harsh touch of sunlight. Golden eyes blurred out the myriad of faces around her and only focused on the road presented. Here, in the desert, she found little comfort, but had arrived earlier with purpose that put aside any displeasure she may be enduring. Here, in the sea of sand, the bowmaiden weaved through the denizens and merchants, clutching a particular object in her grasp. She believed this could be examined quickly and she may return home, with less doubt shadowing her heart that this was simply a gift for her performance in society.

There was something amiss in the gift that she was given this Starlight; when alone, the stone looked to be any ordinary gem, though the goldsmith hinted that there was something out of the norm about it. This sparkling gem felt unusual enough to cause suspicions to flourish from within her. It seems, she was not the only one that carried such a trinket; another woman reported to have ventured within the guild with a different carving in the ruby. What made this even more interesting is the group used their very symbol within the gemstone; the Lotus was a symbol that grazed the ebbs of her memory. This was something old within her family's line on her mother's end. No one knew how symbolic this was, except very, very few.

By chance, one of her contacts here was to meet her on very short notice; the very same thaumaturge that assisted her with a prior assignment, offered his service once more. But there was always a price, in this occupation, she knew such knowledge came was accompanied with the splendid melody of gil falling into his small hands. They met at the hangar of the airships, where they sat down at a table. He looked over her attire, light and airy, not the same woman who was adorned in heavy habiliments with layers of leather and fur. Her hair had become shorter, her features more sun-kissed, but her eyes are never-changing, they bore into his like a serpent.

"I have something for thee to see, what can ye tell me about this, Mister Roku," Rivienne retrieved the gem from the satchel, wrapped in silk cloth, and placed it at the center of the table. Fingers danced over the fabric and pulled the folds aside, unveiling the ruby. Withdrawing her hand, her eyes studied him with a scrutinizing gaze; she waited for a flinch, for a smirk, for any indication that this was something other than some gift from a well wisher.

Alas, nothing crossed his features. For a few moments, he stared with a blank slate upon his visage, admiring the gem and became tempted to simply have her pawn it off to him as payment for his time, but that changed suddenly..

..when her hand hovered over it.

He reached suddenly across the table and took a hold of her slender wrist as she stopped ilms from touching the stone. He studied the sudden fluctuation surrounding the object, how it reacted to when she drew near. Something else, however, he had noticed was the tendrils of aether, slight as they may appear, barely caressing the surface of the faceted stone. Her energy breathes life to the, otherwise typical, ruby.

For a few breaths, Rivienne dared not to move and narrowed her gaze as she saw hints of something stirring in the air, but could not explain it, perhaps her eyes were playing tricks on her; such was not the case. Realizing he had her wrist still, and after finding her confused gaze had settled on his features, Roku pulls back his hand and gently bows his head apologetically.

"Where did you find this?" He inquired with a tilt of his head while gathering the silk around the stone and folding it over. Gingerly, it is placed into her open palm. When it came in contact with him, everything he witnessed came to a halt. It was when it fell into her awaiting hand that he saw life from it once more.

"It was a gift. Though I know not the source well, those who call themselves the Sisters of the Red Lotus sent it during the moon of Starlight." She replies, looking down at it with a wrinkle at the bridge of her nose. Rivienne waits to hear the ill news that would spill from his lips. Her eyes suddenly glance across the table to catch his perplexed expression.

"A gift crafted for your touch. Aether surrounds it, aether is drawn to it. And you, Miss Delacroux, can activate it. So far it is harmless, it is not drawing from you, but it is using you." He steeples his fingers and smirks, causing her to scowl in response.

RE: Sisters of the Red Lotus - Gemstone Thread - Sounsyy - 01-02-2015

It was a sunny day in Limsa Lominsa and Sounsyy had relocated her work outside. Leaving her office in the Coral Tower, Sounsyy grabbed the veritable mountain of letters, documents, and case files on her desk and shoved them into her knapsack. A cool noon breeze swept up her hair as she stepped into the light. She took a deep breath of the sea breeze and made for the Bismarck.

Once seated she spread the documents out before her on the table, securing the pages to the table with various assortments of paperweights. As she was organizing her makeshift diorama she lifted an unfamiliar letter with a curious weight and shape. She hefted the parcel before tearing it open at one seam. A small crimson-colored gemstone rolled free and bounced across the table before coming to rest against one of her paperweights. Sounsyy looked at it curiously for a moment before retrieving the letter within.

Please accept this gemstone and think of it as a token of good fortune.
Sisters of the Red Lotus

She read the letter slowly aloud, repeating the sender's moniker once or twice. But no matter how many times she repeated the name, it became no more familiar to her memory. She deposited the letter on the table and retrieved the gemstone. Carved expertly into the smooth surface was an artful rendering of an Ala Mhigan Fighting Fish. But the fins were too long, its scales too shimmery, its form too scarred, its eyes too violent. This was the queen of Fighting Fish, a Moldva.

Sounsyy dropped the stone quite suddenly, her face drained of color. The fish was so named for an Ala Mhigan Gladiator nearly two decades before, undefeated in combat. An Ala Mhigan heroine. Sounsyy's own days as a Noxius crept unbidden into the back of her mind. Who were these Sisters of the Red Lotus? What did they know of her past? And what did they want?

Sounsyy used the gemstone as an additional paperweight as she pushed these thoughts from her mind and tried to focus on her work. The letter was buried beneath other documents and soon forgotten, but every so often, Sounsyy would cast a glance at her mysterious new paperweight and wonder at the carving it bore as it glinted innocently in the afternoon sun.