Hydaelyn Role-Players
Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! (/showthread.php?tid=9595)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Berrod Armstrong - 01-08-2015

I was just yapping to a friend of mine about where I draw Berrod's fighting style from (Muay Thai with a couple of Karate moves pulled in for the flippies), and wondered, how many of you (those who roleplay combat, sparring or simply write about it) draw inspiration for your character's fighting style from an outside/irl source? If you do, from where? If you don't, do you make it up on the fly, or is there something in game you've seen that's helped you developed your style? Have you made up a style entirely on your own?

As mentioned, Berrod's style is mostly composed of Muay Thai moves, with the occasional fantastically mobile Karate manouevre *cough* do mawashi kaiten geri (the wheel kick that I've shamelessly made his usual opening/closing move) *cough*. Quick, harsh strikes with his fists, elbows, shoulders, knees, shins, heel, instep -- he's devastating at close range, and if he gets a clinch in the opponent is likely going to be kneed into oblivion. 

The more fantastic things I've made up on the fly -- RIP fists of earth, fists of fire, Second wind -- but they hardly ever really get much play time in the meat of an encounter. 

Even if you don't do any combat roleplay or combat writing, what do you think your character would be like if they tried to put up a good fight?

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Telluride - 01-08-2015

*feels sense of dread at impending avalanche of Legolas inspirations for archers*

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Gegenji - 01-08-2015

I've actually done some Tae Kwon Do/Chung Do Kwan in my earlier years, along with being on the weapon performance team for the dojo. Add that to archery classes in High School, fencing classes (which included katana and naganata training, oddly enough!) and firearm training from my time in the military... well, I have a lot I can draw from even before whatever shows and movies and such I've seen.

However, I don't think I can really pin Chachan's fighting style to any one thing. I basically just plan on the fly - usually emulating it like a dork if I'm unsure of how the motions work. I also try to keep in mind his wish to avoid unduly hurting people, and go for trips, disarms, and knockouts over anything overly damaging.

Though, I do want to emulate a more... oriental/samurai style to his fighting at some point or another. Maybe even doing some iatsu and the like at some point. I already imagine his shield throw being like throwing the Fuma Shuriken, after all.

I just feel a bit odd with Chachan as a fighter. He's small and quick, but he's also durable and surprisingly strong due to both his weapon training under Ser Warren and his life as a smith. It just seems like he has all his bases covered (which is a big red flag to me)... until I actively remember that he's rather small, so things like reach and such come into play.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Berrod Armstrong - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 02:59 PM)Telluride Wrote: *feels sense of dread at impending avalanche of Legolas inspirations for archers*
I actually haven't seen much Legolasery about. Most of the archers I've seen are like...sniper quality, or cold, calulating and quiet. A few cruel ones, too! Coming to think of it most of them behave the way I've seen Silvairre act in the Archer questline. 

Bless his c*nty heart.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Steel Wolf - 01-08-2015

I suppose Cliaux's fighting style would perhaps be best described as jeet kun do, since she's very flowy and dance-like in her movements. Maybe capoeira as well, but that's not quite as reactive as jeet kun do reads itself to be.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - C'kayah Polaali - 01-08-2015

I've always loved the way Fritz Leiber wrote fight scenes, especially in the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories. That Leiber was a champion fencer, and used this knowledge in his writing. I used to fence classically, myself, so it appeals to me. On the rare occasions when C'kayah uses a sword, I'm wont to trot out this knowledge, though I'm sure it's really only good for a chuckle when I start emoting about holding the sword in carte, parrying in sixte and following with an immediate moulinet in prime...

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - C'kayah Polaali - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 03:04 PM)Gegenji Wrote: It just seems like he has all his bases covered (which is a big red flag to me)... until I actively remember that he's rather small, so things like reach and such come into play.

Reach has a lot less impact than you'd think, mainly because there's an equivalent "inside" distance for weapons. One of my favorite opponents when I fenced was a young woman who stood about 4' 2". Our bouts would usually consist of starting out beyond my reach, having a bit of a back and forth where I'd test her defense and she'd prove that it was solid, and then a very quick set of attacks and replies which either ended up with me getting the touch or her backing me into a wall with a non-stop advance inside my weapon's range. I use a size 4 or 5 foil (the longest), and she uses a 1 (the shortest), and she really capitalized on her size and short weapon reach by consistently working to get inside the reach of her opponents.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Aduu Avagnar - 01-08-2015

Given I cant exactly use a fightibg style for Nako's casting (thoughts of going FullAvatar bender when he isnt wielding his focus directly abound XD) I tend to put that focus into when he is using a sword or brawling.
When brawlung I tend to use a widr range of grapples and strikes (not legwork), drawing from MMA mostly, as it tends to be the less flashy of martial arts.

With his sword I use traditional HEMA terms and techiques where I can. (Though he doesnt use it often now he has his magic back.)

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-08-2015

Good thread!

Natalie used more of a Roman style of fighting. I've always loved the sort of brutal, machine like nature of roman sword and shield fighting. Very efficient, not at all flashy, and incredibly deadly. Just get as close as you can, use your giant shield to press your enemy's arms and weapons against their body, and just start stabbing over, under, and around it. Obviously there is more to it than that, but it was my inspiration. I feel not enough people embrace the historical 'gladiator' when they play the gladiator class.

Evangeline fights in a more reserved, calculating style. Closer to a late medieval knight. Things weighed a lot, so you did not want to make unneeded attacks or movements. I enjoy the sort of, almost slow motion of watching people armed and armored in that way fight. Everything has a lot of leadup, and takes a while to do, so it's almost like watching slow motion, or rock paper scissors. Both people commit to something, because once all that arms armor and weapons are in motion, you can't completely draw back from it.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Hiro - 01-08-2015

As a generalist Kenjutsu practitioner of Kendo (12 years) and Iaido (15), I liken a lot of Hiro's combat techniques to the theories presented versus most of my actual experience in sparring and matches irl mostly because of how vastly different RP combat tends to go. As such I find it does allow me to step back and ignore realism knowing how dull it really can be ending a combat it an average of two blows, it also doesn't lend itself well to anything too fun with person to person interaction or blending with other RPers. I personally find even as I come in to combat I'm less... "gritty" than most sustaining only one or two actual wounds (substantial or no) versus the beaten, battered, and shredded many others I've interacted with tend to emulate.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Gegenji - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 03:21 PM)C'kayah Polaali Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 03:04 PM)Gegenji Wrote: It just seems like he has all his bases covered (which is a big red flag to me)... until I actively remember that he's rather small, so things like reach and such come into play.

Reach has a lot less impact than you'd think, mainly because there's an equivalent "inside" distance for weapons. One of my favorite opponents when I fenced was a young woman who stood about 4' 2". Our bouts would usually consist of starting out beyond my reach, having a bit of a back and forth where I'd test her defense and she'd prove that it was solid, and then a very quick set of attacks and replies which either ended up with me getting the touch or her backing me into a wall with a non-stop advance inside my weapon's range. I use a size 4 or 5 foil (the longest), and she uses a 1 (the shortest), and she really capitalized on her size and short weapon reach by consistently working to get inside the reach of her opponents.

Yeah, his size and surprising speed considering he's in plate is something he was told to focus on in his training with Ser Warren. And that's why he runs around in bunny armor to honor his combat spirit animal of sorts. Laugh

I'm just afraid of presenting Chachan as a "no flaws" combatant. Due to his race, training, and experience... he's legitimately quick, sturdy, and strong. And that bothers me, so I start actively thinking of where his combat flaws lie.

Reach was the first to come to mind, which isn't much as you've pointed out, but it does mean he has to exert a lot more energy in crossing distances and getting into that weapon "dead zone." Of course, if I put more thought into it, there's plenty of other things about him that could hinder his combat.

First and foremost is his actual combat inexperience. Most of his fighting experience comes from training sword-and-board vs. sword-and-board against Ser Warren (and possible some training against spears with Ms. Sei, if that's a thing that's happened yet), and two trips to the Grindstone. Using unique weapons or unique fighting styles would definitely leave him trying to figure out what to do, and he's not the most mentally adroit guy.

Which leads into another obvious drawback for Chachan - he's quite straightforward. Even in the last Grindstone, he opened EVERY fight with a forward thrust to test his opponent's reflexes. He doesn't use feints and tricks unless he notices the opponents doing something similar... or he gets frustrated and backed into a corner.

It may ultimately be an unnecessary concern, but I do worry a lot about how others see my characters, as this little mini text dump shows... Blush

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Aaron - 01-08-2015

Kenjutsu, Icepick grip knife fighting would describe Aaron in his specialty of blades.

Secondary wise (H2H) he's akin to MMA because I practice it irl also I know how to act it out IC

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Aduu Avagnar - 01-08-2015

I remember reading somewhere that icepick grip was a stance for either masters or amateurs :p

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - TheLastCandle - 01-08-2015

It depends on which of Yvelont's weapons (sword, spear, axe) he's using, but in general one-on-one combat, lots of grappling. Especially when both he and his opponent are fully armored. Plenty of throwing his weight around, using the opponent's momentum against him/her, putting his entire body into the fight. Shoulder checks to unbalance the opponent. Balanced with a lot of footwork.

With a spear, which he usually employs while ranging, I imagine the highly mobile style displayed in the Dragoon job here to be put to use. So I have employed some characteristics of Wushu style spearmanship. Think Oberyn Martell as depicted in the TV version of Game of Thrones. It works, because as a general rule I have him lightly armored as a spear wielder.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Aaron - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 03:37 PM)Nako Wrote: I remember reading somewhere that icepick grip was a stance for either masters or amateurs :p
It is.

People assume only amateur use it but in reality as someone who's learned from my uncle reverse grip has certain advantages over standard (knife wise of course)

With swords it's utterly stupid to use.

Aaron would laugh his ass off at someone fighting with a longsword using the reverse grip.