Hydaelyn Role-Players
Grand Company armour sets - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Grand Company armour sets (/showthread.php?tid=9657)

Pages: 1 2

Grand Company armour sets - SerialX - 01-13-2015

With me being a bit appearance-obsessed (MMOs are the best games of dress-up ever made), part of my decision for which Grand Company to join will be based on how their armour set looks.
However I seem to be having some issues with finding images of them, aside from the 'regular' ones.

Does anyone have any images on how they look? Preferably for the non-tank melee classes.

RE: Grand Company armour sets - Aya - 01-13-2015

There really are not GC armor "sets", there are two uniforms for each (Soldier's and Officer's), neither of which look like anything you'd wear in combat (but they are quintessential FF XIV looks regardless), plus a smattering assortment of often mismatched other gear for use while leveling.  Some of these other "sets" will match, but are just recolors of existing models that you can get elsewhere.

The only exception to that are in the weapons.  The GCs do all have a nice collection of weapons many of which you will not find elsewhere, and are not simple re-skins of other companies weapons.  

You can look at all available items by visiting the appropriate vendors, and its also not that hard to change GCs (you can change every two weeks, the first is free, all others cost 50K gil), but your rank is separate in each GC.

Lastly, I will just mention that Maelstrom has the best and most amazing boots :-]

RE: Grand Company armour sets - Aris - 01-13-2015

If you go on xivdb > database > items > company you can see related armour and weapons. Some gear has pictures that people have uploaded for a better look.

Also the lodestone itself has quality item database. It requires a little more searching through, but more people upload photos there than on xivdb. Using the advanced search and typing in keyboards related to the GC will should help eg. 'serpent' for Twin Adder related gear.

A lot of the really neat GC gear isn't available until you've opened up hunts at level 50.

Hope this helps. Smile

RE: Grand Company armour sets - Gegenji - 01-13-2015

(01-13-2015, 03:35 PM)Aya Wrote: Lastly, I will just mention that Maelstrom has the best and most amazing boots :-]

They really are. I used them and the gloves for the longest time on Gogonji for that proper "Military Tactician." Then I got the dyable SCH war jacket, painted that white, and started using the poetics gloves and boots. Stylin'. Cool

But yeah, Aya made good point of what you can get from the normal GC vendors. There's actually some other pieces - weapons and shields, bits of sub-50 gear for both combat and crafting - but they don't really have a full set per se.

Unless you're talking about the stuff you buy with hunt seals, since there's a GC list for each one of THOSE as well. I'm not sure you can access that vendor until you've unlocked Hunts, though, so just saying "go check out the wares" probably won't work here.

But those are something you should probably keep in mind if you want to choose a GC based off the equipment. Everything else is pretty interchangeable.

RE: Grand Company armour sets - Melkire - 01-13-2015

To sum up, there are five "sets" per GC.

The Soldier's uniform (purchase with GC Seals)
The Officer's uniform (purchase with GC Seals)
The Elite Tank gear (purchase with Allied Seals)
The Elite DoW gear (purchase with Allied Seals)
The Elite DoM gear (purchase with Allied Seals)

Everything else is a hodgepodge of mismatched pieces, some of which look really cool and thematically appropriate.

RE: Grand Company armour sets - Aya - 01-13-2015

I completely forgot about the hunt gear Smile
That random hodgepodge has some neat and uniquely colored pieces, so they are worth a look when making outfitd, just nothing to call a set.

RE: Grand Company armour sets - V'aleera - 01-13-2015

The GC hunt sets are some of the best looking armors in the game, imo. Definitely try and find some pictures of them before making a choice.

I do like some of the Hunt gear... I just don't want to be stuck grinding for MORE things, since the allied seal cost-to-drop rate ratio rubs me the wrong way a bit.

... Though I totally abused Allied Seals for cheap i90 gear back before they took that away.

RE: Grand Company armour sets - Melkire - 01-13-2015

(01-13-2015, 04:02 PM)Intaki Wrote: The GC hunt sets are some of the best looking armors in the game, imo. Definitely try and find some pictures of them before making a choice.

Sez you.

*pouts at shitty Flame Elite gear*

(01-13-2015, 04:09 PM)Melkire Wrote:
(01-13-2015, 04:02 PM)Intaki Wrote: The GC hunt sets are some of the best looking armors in the game, imo. Definitely try and find some pictures of them before making a choice.

Sez you.

I think someone mentioned to me that I should use bits of the Flame Elite gear to get a more Samurai look for Chachan's armor. A couple pieces look nice, but I'm pretty happy with what I managed with a couple Usagi helmets, some tomes, and mostly basic dye-able gear.

RE: Grand Company armour sets - V'aleera - 01-13-2015

(01-13-2015, 04:09 PM)Melkire Wrote:

Sez you.

Your first mistake was not joining the Maelstrom.

RE: Grand Company armour sets - SerialX - 01-13-2015

Thanks for the help! I had a look at the Lodestone (I didn't even know they had an item database as well), and now I'm conflicted Tongue
I really like the chest armour from the Immortal Flames, but I also really like the daggers from the Maelstrom. I'm going to have to think on this some more.

RE: Grand Company armour sets - Aris - 01-13-2015

I'm having the same problem now haha. I moved Aris from Adders to Flames ICly, but might find some reason to shuffle her over to Maelstorm because their gear is awesome.

Glamours are the real end game here. Tongue

Good luck deciding!

RE: Grand Company armour sets - Ashe - 01-13-2015

MAELSTROM IS BEST
this includes when you start getting allied seals company gear.
I left the flames because their allied gear was ugly xPP

RE: Grand Company armour sets - Recoil - 01-13-2015

[Image: Ke6Fts8.jpg]

I'm totally in love with the maelstrom's DoW coat. Heart