Hydaelyn Role-Players
Garlemald language/naming conventions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Garlemald language/naming conventions (/showthread.php?tid=9670)

Garlemald language/naming conventions - Minako - 01-14-2015

Pretty much what the title says.....since all living units are called in classic or late Latin names (medicus signifer laquearius secutor......) while all the "heroic" (to use a RTS tag) units have different names unfollowing a clear rule (Nael van Darnus, Cid, Solus zos Galvus, Nero,.....)
In other words, how do Garleans name their sons and daughters?

PS1 thx for any help, i'll need it for my rpc ;3
PS2 is it my impression or there are NO elezen, NO roegadyn and NO miqo'te in the garlean army?!

RE: Garlemald language/naming conventions - Mithril Specs - 01-14-2015

As far as I know - and from lurking around in the official forums for a good while - there isn't really any big, official word on the conventions yet, except that the middle names (van, tol, sas and what have you) all refer to an individual's rank within the military and possibly political hierarchy.

If you look at what we got so far name-wise, it should be perfectly fine to go with latin names - or, well, vaguely latin sounding ones. With some exceptions, that's still the general theme.  

And there are, indeed, all manner of non-hyur in the military, these would be conscripts from conquered countries instead of native Garleans. Now, Rhitatyn sas Arvina's an interesting example having a Roe first name and a surname that might just be of garlean origin? So it might be that people would take on another name as a sign of national pride or what have you.

I know it's not much, but I hope this'll help a bit Smile

RE: Garlemald language/naming conventions - FreelanceWizard - 01-14-2015

Show Content

RE: Garlemald language/naming conventions - Ashren Dotharl - 01-14-2015

Garlean characters that have appeared have a distinct naming convention quite different from those in Eorzea. They consist of a given name, a middle name denoting rank, and a surname taken from their family.

The ranks observed so far:
  • Zos: Emperor

• Yae: High Legatus

• Van: Legatus

• Tol: Tribunus (higher ranking)

• Sas: Tribunus (lower ranking)

• Nan: Minister of Industry

It is suggested that citizens of conquered nations may adopt this nomenclature, as demonstrated by Rhitahtyn sas Arvina (a Roegadyn not of Garlean birth).

RE: Garlemald language/naming conventions - Sounsyy - 01-14-2015

Everyone's pretty much already covered all the lore we have on the subject, but for reference throwing in the original Dev post and thread on the topic.

RE: Garlemald language/naming conventions - Kamome - 01-19-2015

Something I've found that is useful for Garlean names is grabbing a Latin-English-Latin dictionary and just looking for appealing words. Prominent Ancient Romans didn't have a huge variety of given or family names (just check out any list of Ancient Roman rulers and you'll see what I mean...) So, for Garlean names, I like to just find a cool word that fits with the gender rules we see for forenames (At this point, -ia for women and -o, -ius, -ael and -us for dudes) and use it as the basis of the name. The surnames really don't seem to have gender rules right now. Just go with a word that looks interesting or character-fitting. 'Baelsar' is an example of one that just looks vaguely Latin because of the 'ae' but was just made up to look cool.

Arvina, Livia, Nero, Solus, etc. are all actual Latin words—'fat', 'olive', 'black' and 'alone', respectively. Try booting up a dictionary site and just find something that looks cool. Preferably with lots of 'ae' vowel sounds in it for the surname.

Here is a huge list of Latin nouns on Wiktionary:

http://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Latin_nouns&pagefrom=AMITA+MAXIMA%0Aamita+maxima#mw-pages

Might want to just stick to a dictionary for easier browsing:

http://ablemedia.com/ctcweb/showcase/wordsonline.html

Good luck with your Garlean!

RE: Garlemald language/naming conventions - Merri - 01-19-2015

(01-14-2015, 10:45 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Everyone's pretty much already covered all the lore we have on the subject, but for reference throwing in the original Dev post and thread on the topic.

Oh hey, I remember making that thread~
I'm so sad Ferne never got around to posting that lore bomb. :<

Don't really have anything to add that hasn't been noted already. Fun fact, though, on top of what Ferne mentioned in his post. The rank that a Garlean's "middle name' prefix holds seems to scale with letters of the alphabet. Take a look at what we've seen, and you'll notice each rank gets higher and higher the further along in the alphabet the letter is. With Y being the High Legatus of all Imperial Legions, and Z being the Emperor. It's only speculation, but it's interesting regardless. Suffice it to say, you may want to use caution if using a "middle name" until more are revealed, as the ones we know are all fairly high ranking. That last bit is personal opinion, of course, so take it with a grain of salt~