Hydaelyn Role-Players
Eorzean Emigrants - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Eorzean Emigrants (/showthread.php?tid=9691)

Pages: 1 2 3

Eorzean Emigrants - Kamome - 01-16-2015

Hello!

This is my first post on the RPC. I want to first thank everyone who has made this community so vibrant, welcoming and high-quality. I played FFXI since I was a starry-eyed kid who had grown up with the Final Fantasy games every step of the way. It was my first MMO. I always dreamed of a community like this one where we could share quality stories about our characters and do honor to Square Enix's beautiful worlds. I am looking forward so much to meeting your character and creating memories with all of you.

The problem is... I'm having a lot of trouble with a character concept. In FFXI, I played a hume boy who was from Selbina, newly arrived in Bastok with dreams of joining the Bastokan military. This fit really well with the in-game lore. I really find it hard to become immersed in my character if he/she doesn't fit the in-game character origin. I love characters who seem like they walked right out of a Final Fantasy series title and fit well in the established world.

I've been playing FFXIV for about a week now, and was planning on writing a civilian merchant character from Ul'dah. The problem is, everything in the game's narrative really seems tailored to a non-Eorzean. The following are my questions for the lore experts who frequent this forum--thank you so much for your time reading this rambling post. I care so much about RPG worlds and lore, and love them very much. I want to do justice to the great work the writers and world builders have done with Hydaelyn, and to this excellent community.

1. Are the nations of Doma, Garlemald, Ishgard, Sharlayan and (former) Ala Mihgo considered part of Eorzea? 

2. From what I've read, it seems most plausible that Domans would be the most recent wave of immigrants to Eorzea with the Ninja plot line that was recently introduced--do you think there would be fresh Garlean/Ala Mihgan refugees too?

3. What do you think about Doman naming conventions? Karasu Redbeak, Tsubame Sunrise and Oboro Moonrise are the primary examples I've found. Do you think it would be too 'special snowflake' to use the surname Sunrise or Moonrise? Do these surnames signify a small family,  personal title, or a clan name, I find myself wondering...

4. Sharlayan naming conventions puzzle me, too--Louisoix's name aligns well with what we know about Wildwood names, but his associate, Urianger Augurelt, seems to have a non-standard forename (at least, it doesn't recall French to me). Are there any examples of hyuran names from Sharlayan? It seems unlikely we would see fresh immigrants/refugees from Sharlayan, however... Considering the collapse was over fifteen years ago, in 1562.

5. How dominated by the Elezen is Ishgard, exactly? Has anyone put some thought or researched lore regarding the hyur there? Are there hyuran NPCs in-game from Ishgard?

6. Do you play a character from Sharlayan, Doma, Ishgard or Garlemald? What's your character's story? Would you like to build a story together with my character as a relative or old friend? I would love to find someone to mentor me in the in-game lore.

I am so sorry this became so rambling and has been referenced in older threads, too. I wanted to foster an in-depth discussion on these topics.

I am hoping to transfer to Balmung on Tuesday the 20th, after the 3:00am PST maintenance is over. I currently play on Adamantoise.

Thank you all so, so much. I can't wait to take my first steps on Balmung!

Sincerely,
Kamome

RE: Eorzean Immigrant Options - Aduu Avagnar - 01-16-2015

1. Are the nations of Doma, Garlemald, Ishgard, Sharlayan and (former) Ala Mihgo considered part of Eorzea? 

Doma is a nation from on Othard, with Garlemald being from Ilsabard(sp?) Ishgard and Ala Mihgo are part of Eorzea, I am unsure about Sharlayan

2. From what I've read, it seems most plausible that Domans would be the most recent wave of immigrants to Eorzea with the Ninja plot line that was recently introduced--do you think there would be fresh Garlean/Ala Mihgan refugees too?

I doubt it. The refugees fled the invasion of Ala Mihgo, and as it has now been under the control of Garlemald for about 20 years now, I doubt there would be many if any.

3. What do you think about Doman naming conventions? Karasu Redbeak, Tsubame Sunrise and Oboro Moonrise are the primary examples I've found. Do you think it would be too 'special snowflake' to use the surname Sunrise or Moonrise? Do these surnames signify a small family,  personal title, or a clan name, I find myself wondering...

They seem to have a descriptive surname, so I don't think it would be too snowflakey. In all honesty, we know little about their naming conventions beyond that.

4. Sharlayan naming conventions puzzle me, too--Louisoix's name aligns well with what we know about Wildwood names, but his associate, Urianger Augurelt, seems to have a non-standard forename (at least, it doesn't recall French to me). Are there any examples of hyuran names from Sharlayan? It seems unlikely we would see fresh immigrants/refugees from Sharlayan, however... Considering the collapse was over fifteen years ago, in 1562.

It sounds french from the way it is pronounced, or at least it did to me.

. How dominated by the Elezen is Ishgard, exactly? Has anyone put some thought or researched lore regarding the Hyur there? Are there hyuran NPCs in-game from Ishgard?

The NPC for the Dragoon Quest line is a Hyur, I think it is maybe around a 70/30 split? I dunno I think it is majorly in favour of Elezen however.

6. Do you play a character from Sharlayan, Doma, Ishgard or Garlemald? What's your character's story? Would you like to build a story together with my character as a relative or old friend? I would love to find someone to mentor me in the in-game lore.

I don't although Nako did spend some time within Garlemald for... reasons...

RE: Eorzean Immigrant Options - Gegenji - 01-16-2015

This sounds like a job for the Sounsyy signal, but I'll try to answer what I can.

1. As far as I understand, Eorzea consists of the continents of Vylbrand (where the La Noscea areas lie as well as the ruins of Nym) and Aldenard (which consists of Gridania, Thanalan, Coerthas, and Mor Dhona). Doma is on the continent of Othard and is under Garlean occupation, while I believe Garlemald and Sharlayan are also considered as outside Eorzea. Ala Mhigo I believe is still technically in Thanalan and thus also part of Eorzea, but I am uncertain.

2. Doma certainly has the most visible wave of refugees thanks to the MSQ and NINJAS, but the crowd of refugees outside Ul'dah and the cobbled together town of Little Ala Mhigo imply that there's still refugees of other sorts. Most of them, I believe, are Ala Mhigan while Garlean defectors would most likely try to stay under the radar due to the conflicts between Garlemald and the Eorzean Alliance.

3. I, personally, like good names. I stuck to the Lalafellan method for Chachan since I love the musical approach to their naming conventions, despite the fact that he's also Doman. Along with that, I've seen plenty of what I'm assuming are Domans using very Japanese style names, so I'm sure you'll be fine enough with whatever you go with as long as it isn't... like... Russian or something. Laugh

4. Sharlayan is only mentioned in passing... two or three times in the MSQ? So I don't know offhand too many of the naming conventions for those from there. You'd probably be safe enough sticking to the normal Hyur naming conventions if you so desired.

5. Dunno! I haven't really checked the ratio of Elezen to Hyur, but now I'm kinda curious! I thought I saw more Elezen in my wanderings around Coerthas, but now I'm not so sure.

6. Chachan is from Doma! You can actually read all about him in the wiki page in my signature! He's a Lalafell, though, so having a Hyur relative would require some Lucy-levels of 'splainin' ta do. Still, I count myself among the probably many people willing to help you out where we can. Thumbsup

Hope that helps, and may I extend a super-early "Welcome to Balmung" if I don't run across you on the big day!

RE: Eorzean Emigrants - Aduu Avagnar - 01-16-2015

(01-16-2015, 05:01 PM)Gegenji Wrote: This sounds like a job for the Sounsyy signal, but I'll try to answer what I can.

1. As far as I understand, Eorzea consists of the continents of Vylbrand (where the La Noscea areas lie as well as the ruins of Nym) and Aldenard (which consists of Gridania, Thanalan, Coerthas, and Mor Dhona). Doma is on the continent of Othard and is under Garlean occupation, while I believe Garlemald and Sharlayan are also considered as outside Eorzea. Ala Mhigo I believe is still technically in Thanalan and thus also part of Eorzea, but I am uncertain.
Vylbrand isn't a continent XD

Eorzea is a large swathe of Aldenard, including its islands such as Vylbrand, Ala Mihgo is located to the east of Gridania, and as such was the closest of the city states to the Garlean Empire.

RE: Eorzean Emigrants - Kamome - 01-16-2015

(01-16-2015, 04:53 PM)Nako Wrote: 2. From what I've read, it seems most plausible that Domans would be the most recent wave of immigrants to Eorzea with the Ninja plot line that was recently introduced--do you think there would be fresh Garlean/Ala Mihgan refugees too?

I doubt it. The refugees fled the invasion of Ala Mihgo, and as it has now been under the control of Garlemald for about 20 years now, I doubt there would be many if any.

Ah, this is really good to know. I was mistakenly under the impression that the invasion of Doma was recent, not tied to the Ala Mihgan invasion back in 1557.

Thank you! I'm going to have a read of your RPC Library entry to see how you've worked your character, too. Really good name!

(01-16-2015, 05:07 PM)Rosalind Wrote:
(01-16-2015, 04:53 PM)Nako Wrote: 2. From what I've read, it seems most plausible that Domans would be the most recent wave of immigrants to Eorzea with the Ninja plot line that was recently introduced--do you think there would be fresh Garlean/Ala Mihgan refugees too?

Ah, this is really good to know. I was mistakenly under the impression that the invasion of Doma was recent, not tied to the Ala Mihgan invasion back in 1557.

Thank you! I'm going to have a read of your RPC Library entry to see how you've worked your character, too. Really good name!
the invasion of Doma was indeed recent, but I feel that whoever was left after the first wave left would have been slaughtered for their attempt at seceeding from the empire.

The people I refered to in my post were natives of Ala Mhigo (the invasion of which was 20 years ago)

so I feel I was not as clear in my answer as I could have been.

to whit. two waves of imigrants. one twenty years ago from Ala Mhigo. One recently from Doma, and likelyhood of new refugees from Ala Mhigo is low due to the brain washing done by the empire

RE: Eorzean Emigrants - Chris Ganale - 01-16-2015

Most of the lore-based questions have been answered, so I'll just go of note that I have three Doman characters, one of whom was conscripted by Garlemald for a while before she blew up parts of the Ultima Weapon and peaced out.

(01-16-2015, 05:01 PM)Gegenji Wrote: 2. Doma certainly has the most visible wave of refugees thanks to the MSQ and NINJAS, but the crowd of refugees outside Ul'dah and the cobbled together town of Little Ala Mhigo imply that there's still refugees of other sorts. Most of them, I believe, are Ala Mhigan while Garlean defectors would most likely try to stay under the radar due to the conflicts between Garlemald and the Eorzean Alliance.

3. I, personally, like good names. I stuck to the Lalafellan method for Chachan since I love the musical approach to their naming conventions, despite the fact that he's also Doman. Along with that, I've seen plenty of what I'm assuming are Domans using very Japanese style names, so I'm sure you'll be fine enough with whatever you go with as long as it isn't... like... Russian or something.

6. Chachan is from Doma! You can actually read all about him in the wiki page in my signature! He's a Lalafell, though, so having a Hyur relative would require some Lucy-levels of 'splainin' ta do. Still, I count myself among the probably many people willing to help you out where we can.

Hope that helps, and may I extend a super-early "Welcome to Balmung" if I don't run across you on the big day!

Thank you! Very much appreciated. The Lalafellin naming structure seems very preserved in their societies, so I think you made the right choice. They're native to Thanalan, as a race, I think I remember reading--so I'm guessing your lala ancestors must have emigrated to Doma themselves at some point way back.

I'm actually not set on hyur, I just favor them because I like to try all the jobs and find hyur the most 'standard' looking race that doesn't skew visually toward magical or physical jobs (in my own silly head). I ended up with an Elvaan as my final main in XI and was obsessed with Tarus and not only their awesome names but ridiculously cute rhyming speech tics, haha.

I'll be reading your profile, too! Thanks again!

(01-16-2015, 05:13 PM)Chris Ganale Wrote: Most of the lore-based questions have been answered, so I'll just go of note that I have three Doman characters, one of whom was conscripted by Garlemald for a while before she blew up parts of the Ultima Weapon and peaced out.

Haha, awesome--do you have an RPC Library page set up for them? Link me? I have been reading that wiki like it's homework lately.

I found this following thread from last year:

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/printthread.php?tid=8610

Thank you guys for spelling out the actual continent names there--it's so hard to find information about that stuff online.

S-E really needs to give is a bigger map of Hydaelyn like they gave us for Vana'diel in FFXI:

[Image: latest?cb=20090401054318]

RE: Eorzean Emigrants - Sounsyy - 01-16-2015

(01-16-2015, 04:44 PM)Rosalind Wrote: 1. Are the nations of Doma, Garlemald, Ishgard, Sharlayan and (former) Ala Mihgo considered part of Eorzea? 

The fallen nation of Ala Mhigo, the abandoned city-state of Sharlayan, and Ishgard are all Eorzean city-states.

Old Sharlayan, on the other hand, is on an island in the Bloodbrine Sea, north of Eorzea and is not a part of Eorzea. The city-state of Sharlayan was abandoned after the fall of Ala Mhigo and peace negotiations with the Garlean Empire failed. These Sharlayans retreated to their island home, leaving Eorzea behind.

Doma is an Imperial Province on the Great Continent Othard. It is also commonly referred to in game as the "Far East." Recently, Doma was made example of by the Empire and was razed, hence the massive influx of Far Eastern refugees.

Garlemald is the capital of the Garlean Empire and is situated in the Northern Great Continent Ilsabard.

(01-16-2015, 04:44 PM)Rosalind Wrote: 2. From what I've read, it seems most plausible that Domans would be the most recent wave of immigrants to Eorzea with the Ninja plot line that was recently introduced--do you think there would be fresh Garlean/Ala Mihgan refugees too?
Domans are the most recent refugees of the Empire. There are also Ala Mhigan refugees in Eorzea who were displaced when the Empire occupied Ala Mhigo 20 years ago. Since that time, Garlemald errected a gigantic wall around the fallen city-state, preventing any from entering/leaving. There have been rescue attempts and assaults on Ala Mhigo by a faction called the Ala Mhigan Resistance, but without success and have sustained heavy losses.

(01-16-2015, 04:44 PM)Rosalind Wrote: 3. What do you think about Doman naming conventions? Karasu Redbeak, Tsubame Sunrise and Oboro Moonrise are the primary examples I've found. Do you think it would be too 'special snowflake' to use the surname Sunrise or Moonrise? Do these surnames signify a small family,  personal title, or a clan name, I find myself wondering...

Not sure on official naming conventions. But Doma appears to be heavily Japanese-based, so could use that as a point of reference.

(01-16-2015, 04:44 PM)Rosalind Wrote: 4. Sharlayan naming conventions puzzle me, too--Louisoix's name aligns well with what we know about Wildwood names, but his associate, Urianger Augurelt, seems to have a non-standard forename (at least, it doesn't recall French to me). Are there any examples of hyuran names from Sharlayan? It seems unlikely we would see fresh immigrants/refugees from Sharlayan, however... Considering the collapse was over fifteen years ago, in 1562.

Naming conventions for Sharlayan are more likely to follow standard Eorzean naming conventions based on race more so than nationality. So Louisoux's name follows the french Wildwood naming conventions. As for Urianger, who is a Duskwight, he may have a bastardized "French" name as Wildwood and Duskwight do not ever share family names. But I'm not very well versed in the French language to say how French Urianger's name actually is?

(01-16-2015, 04:44 PM)Rosalind Wrote: 5. How dominated by the Elezen is Ishgard, exactly? Has anyone put some thought or researched lore regarding the hyur there? Are there hyuran NPCs in-game from Ishgard?

Ishgard is predominantly Elezen, though there are Hyur who are Ishgardian as well. Ishgard is made up of several Noble Houses, which are all Elezen (and only one is Duskwight). There do not appear to be any Noble Hyur, but that does not mean it isn't within the realm of possibility. We'll likely get loads more lore on Ishgard when Heavensward drops later this year.

(01-16-2015, 04:44 PM)Rosalind Wrote: 6. Do you play a character from Sharlayan, Doma, Ishgard or Garlemald? What's your character's story? Would you like to build a story together with my character as a relative or old friend? I would love to find someone to mentor me in the in-game lore.

While I don't play a character from any of these places, I do play a refugee from Ala Mhigo.

All this said, unless it's what you want to do, you don't have to roleplay an immigrant to Eorzea. There are many people who roleplay Eorzean natives. It's perfectly acceptable.

Hope this helps! ^^ If you have any more lore questions feel free to ask!

Greatly appreciated, Sounsyy. Your answers are extremely helpful. I believe it would probably be a very solid education in lore to start going through your old posts!

I am considering very much just disregarding the in-game lore bits about not being from Eorzea. Or just making a character who has lived a lot of their life at sea as a pirate or trader or something along those lines. 

Thank you again! I will surely be asking more questions... But much more succinctly!

Oh, Sounsyy, also! You are absolutely right about Urianger! I didn't even think about the Duskwight naming conventions. I am a French-speaker and have noticed the major difference between Wildwood and Duskwight names is that Wildwood names skew toward Medieval French, and Duskwight names, including the Ishgardian noble house of Dzemael, sound like gallicized (frenchified) North African or possibly Basque words.

"Standard" French, especially old French, doesn't make common use of 'z's--but as you can see in these Basque names below, it does quite extensively. The Basque are also known as mountain-dwellers of France's southern mountainous regions. Maybe they were S-E's inspiration? Or maybe the Visigoths?

http://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/basque

His surname, Augurelt, is definitely in-line with what a lot of Medieval French/Gaulish surnames sound like, for the record, though.

Quick note about my character. There is little in the way of history prior to the events of the game, such as his time in Garlemald. I like to let that stuff come out in game.

(01-16-2015, 05:58 PM)Nako Wrote: Quick note about my character. There is little in the way of history prior to the events of the game, such as his time in Garlemald. I like to let that stuff come out in game.

Ah, no worries. I completely agree with that method of RP. I like RPC Library pages that give just enough info to pique interest--history is best when it comes out in active storytelling I think! That's what's so awesome about RP!