Hydaelyn Role-Players
Mor Dhona and Aether - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Mor Dhona and Aether (/showthread.php?tid=9694)

Mor Dhona and Aether - Cocotsu - 01-17-2015

So from the get go we know Mor Dhona is where Silvertear lake is. This site, from my understanding, is the source of Aether in Hydelen.  When Midgarsormer fell and the seal was released a fount of Aether was released.  Then years later Bahamut ravaged the land.  So as the single most concentrated source of Aether AND the single most devastated area in Eorzea if not Hydelen, how does one Roleplay the heavy Aether/Gloom weather as a mage type?

For imagery purposes lets say a Thaumaturge goes to Mor Dhona. Does the dense Aether make him feel Ill? Excited? Powerful? Disoriented?

Did Bahamut's wrath cause a shift in Aether there? would one feel the scars of such a terrible destruction in the Aether?

The gloom, is that Aether almost tangible?

Hope to chat about this with you all and read you replies!

RE: Mor Dhona and Aether - Steel Wolf - 01-17-2015

Oooo, this is a really REALLY good question! I'm just going to have to respond with my own assumptions here, as I'm not terribly clear on how aether affects the body and none of my characters are terribly in touch with its manipulation.

That said...I'd assume that since Gloom causes aether to be in such abundance that it's actually a bunch of visible wisps in the air that there'd be some sort of effect to those who are more sensitive. It'd likely feel an awful lot like being surrounded by static electricity, if I had to guess.

Bahamut's calamity didn't appear to have that great of an effect on the flow of aether in Hydaelyn at all, since the aetherial powers and systems that were in place before are still operating now. Bahamut only attacked the physical plane to an incredible degree--he didn't breathe fire so hard that the lifestream was also wounded, even though the planet had been scarred.

My 2 gil...and I'm certain someone more learned on the matter will respond and correct me where needed.

RE: Mor Dhona and Aether - Sounsyy - 01-17-2015

There is actually some lore on this. ^^

Quote:Void Bass
On rare occasions a dark mist will settle over areas of Eorzea hit hardest by the corrupting hands of the Calamity. This mist is commonly referred to by skywatchers as "gloom" and is believed to be umbrally charged aether...

So to answer your questions, someone who is aetherially inclined, such as a magi may actually feel the effects of the aether. This aether in the air should feel tangible. Maybe even to someone who isn't a mage.

Now, the first question this had me asking was "there was gloom pre-Calamity tho?" but the quote goes on to say that there's a connection between this umbrally charged Aether and openings to the Void. So this could mean two things: The thick, off-gasses aether caused by massive destruction attracts Voidsent through an opening torn by said destruction. Or, when a Voidgate is opened, the corruption of the Void spews forth the Gloom. Lore isn't entirely clear on which is accurate. So play along with it as one of those great mysteries of life!

(01-17-2015, 03:18 AM)Cocotsu Wrote: Did Bahamut's wrath cause a shift in Aether there? would one feel the scars of such a terrible destruction in the Aether?

Yes. But I have to backtrack a little first.

Pre-Calamity, when Bahamut was still trapped within Dalamud, the Elder Primal began drawing aether from Hydaelyn (the planet itself) into himself to recharge. As the moon edged closer and closer, the current of the Lifestream began to alter its course and caused strange shifts in aether across the entire planet, effectively halting the flow of aether to Silvertear Lake.

This was killing Hydaelyn, which was why Louisoux could not summon the Twelve against Bahamut. It would've killed the planet. There was simply not enough aether left because Bahamut had redirected the Lifestream into Dalamud.

When Bahamut laid waste to Eorzea, that massive aether death that followed changed the landscape and corrupted much of the aether that remained behind. However, with Bahamut gone, the Lifestream was able to return to its natural ebb and has been attempting to recover for the 5 years since.

So to answer your question, yes, those scars left behind by the events leading up to the Calamity and the Calamity itself should be very palpable to someone who is aetherially attuned. But the destruction and scars are more widespread than just Mor Dhona. Just- Mor Dhona has taken one hell of a bigger beating than the rest of the world in recent years.

RE: Mor Dhona and Aether - Cocotsu - 01-17-2015

Thank you both for your replies! They helped a lot!

RE: Mor Dhona and Aether - sforze - 01-18-2015

I'm not sure how lore-friendly this is, but I have been making assumptions that fluctuations in aether and general scarred/weirdness of the Mor Dhona area might make things such as accurate, consistent potion-making/alchemy go a little haywire from time to time. I have been kind of thinking of it like humidity or altitude when trying to bake, in a sense. I could be totally off about it, but it's been somewhat of a minor point in my RP that it wouldn't kill me to nix it if it turned out to be totally in left field.

RE: Mor Dhona and Aether - Cocotsu - 01-20-2015

(01-18-2015, 09:05 PM)sforze Wrote: I'm not sure how lore-friendly this is, but I have been making assumptions that fluctuations in aether and general scarred/weirdness of the Mor Dhona area might make things such as accurate, consistent potion-making/alchemy go a little haywire from time to time. I have been kind of thinking of it like humidity or altitude when trying to bake, in a sense. I could be totally off about it, but it's been somewhat of a minor point in my RP that it wouldn't kill me to nix it if it turned out to be totally in left field.
I think thats pretty accurate. Things like precise spells and alchemical creations that have exact amounts would probably suffer badly in Mor dhona as well as produce new effects from the saturation.  Im kind of excited for Coco to try to cast a simple geometry and end up accidentally blowingBomb something up Laugh