Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hello - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hello (/showthread.php?tid=9698)

Hello - Bontee - 01-17-2015

Hello all! Big Grin

I am new to FFXIV, and wanted to know, which servers are the best for RP? I stayed up until past 6am trying to get into Balmung or Gilgamesh but it seems they are locked... Is that normal? Should I choose a different server?

I am completely new to FFXIV, but have a decent amount of RP experience with all sorts of games and such. I will do a propor introduction in a bit, as it may take me a while and I'd hopefully like to choose a server before they lock more. Cry

Anyways, nice to meet you all! Assuming I can get into a server, I'll likely be here for a while Big Grin

--MMORPG background
Too many to list. A lot, from all genres. Lately I've been playing a lot of EVE Online, as it's different, but I'm looking for something a little less... Stressful Wink
--Character ideas/info
Ehehe... I prefer the mysterious type, and reveal info during RP... Keeps things interesting that way! Big Grin
--How did you learn about the coalition?
I Googled "FFXIV RP" Wink

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?
I would say I'm somewhere around a medium RP'er... I don't really know what the difference is from light to heavy (nothing to compare to?) but if I had to guess, it'd be medium. Smile

--Personal info
I am quite a gamer, gaming in 99% of my spare time when not doing homework or other such activities. I am currently in my first year of University, so I have quite a bit of free time Smile

RE: Hello - Aris - 01-17-2015

Hi, welcome to FFXIV!

Balmung and Gilgamesh are legacy servers, and due to the high population of people on them already they only open various times throughout the day when there's a smaller amount of traffic logging on/off.

Sadly at the moment they're both closed most of the time, Balmung in particular, probably due to the upcoming Patch 2.5 being released next week and the expansion coming so more people have been playing.

I'm not sure about Gilgamesh, but the best time to get onto Balmung is early morning EST (4am-8am from what I understand) Wednesdays-Thursdays. Also before 20 minutes before maintenance starts as many people have logged off by then. The next one is Jan 19th (link) so that would be a good opportunity to try!

They are open sometimes, and so you might want to keep checking back, but from what I gather you haven't even started playing yet, so it might be worth trying a different server so you can actually start playing to see if you enjoy it! Tongue You can have up to 8 characters, so you can always make a new character on Balmung/Gilgamesh later, or there is the option to transfer your character for £11. But as I said, it's probably worth just playing first, especially if you have a free trial period! Big Grin

I'm not sure what others have RP but I'm sure someone else will come along and be able to answer. Smile

RE: Hello - Maril - 01-18-2015

Welcome! ^^

RE: Hello - Ligardian Dreamer - 01-18-2015

Welcome! "May the path in the light of the crystal" be filled with many memories and experiences!

RE: Hello - Bontee - 01-19-2015

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Heart

I got in to Balmung JUST before the maintenance! I'm not sure where to go from here to join in on the RP stuff, but at least I'm making progress! Big GrinHeart

RE: Hello - Jack - 01-20-2015

(01-19-2015, 11:58 PM)Bontee Wrote: Thank you all for the warm welcome! Heart

I got in to Balmung JUST before the maintenance! I'm not sure where to go from here to join in on the RP stuff, but at least I'm making progress! Big GrinHeart

You have fantastic timing, my friend. The Quicksand in Ul'dah is the gathering spot for a lot of people. It's never dead, not even at 5 am. I'd try there when given the chance.

Over all, have fun. Hope to see ya there.

RE: Hello - Ligardian Dreamer - 01-20-2015

(01-19-2015, 11:58 PM)Bontee Wrote: Thank you all for the warm welcome! Heart

Thumbsup Keep it up!

RE: Hello - Gegenji - 01-20-2015

I would second checking out the Quicksand. I would also check the Linkshells section of this forum and seek out any that seem to strike your fancy. There's several IC and OOC LSes that might help you find some new friends and some RP to cut your teeth on.

RE: Hello - Aya - 01-20-2015

(01-20-2015, 11:14 AM)Gegenji Wrote: I would second checking out the Quicksand.
Pshhhhh no one likes it there!!!!!! ^_~

RE: Hello - Bontee - 01-20-2015

(01-20-2015, 11:14 AM)Gegenji Wrote: I would second checking out the Quicksand. I would also check the Linkshells section of this forum and seek out any that seem to strike your fancy. There's several IC and OOC LSes that might help you find some new friends and some RP to cut your teeth on.

I don't know what a linkshell is, but I'll take a look Big Grin

And, uh... I'm new to the game as well. Where is this "Quicksand"? Blush

RE: Hello - Warren Castille - 01-20-2015

Ul'dah! It's pretty central to the city, and if you didn't start there as a Gladiator, Pugilist or Thaumaturge you'll wind up visiting during your main story quests.

A linkshell in FFXIV is like a single-purpose chat channel. Free Companies (aka, Guilds) have their own chat function with /fc, and linkshells are similar without any of the real structure or benefit. You can join up to eight of them at once.

RE: Hello - Bontee - 01-21-2015

(01-20-2015, 02:53 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Ul'dah! It's pretty central to the city, and if you didn't start there as a Gladiator, Pugilist or Thaumaturge you'll wind up visiting during your main story quests.

A linkshell in FFXIV is like a single-purpose chat channel. Free Companies (aka, Guilds) have their own chat function with /fc, and linkshells are similar without any of the real structure or benefit. You can join up to eight of them at once.

Awesome! I'll have to look out for that place... And, uh... This is probably a dumb question, but... How do I join a linkshell? I can't quite figure it out...

RE: Hello - Ligardian Dreamer - 01-21-2015

(01-21-2015, 02:42 AM)Bontee Wrote:
(01-20-2015, 02:53 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Ul'dah! It's pretty central to the city, and if you didn't start there as a Gladiator, Pugilist or Thaumaturge you'll wind up visiting during your main story quests.

Awesome! I'll have to look out for that place... And, uh... This is probably a dumb question, but... How do I join a linkshell? I can't quite figure it out...

You'll likely be suggested to check out the Linkshell hall here. Usually, you need to be invited to join the linkshell since you can't join one on your own. Just ask one of those people in that LS of interest and go from there!

((By the way, please excuse me if I'm totally wrong on how this goes and thus misinforming you. I confess that I was under the impression that you have to be invited and not able to join one on your own. Everything you need to know, though, should be there in the Linkshell Hall board though so you should be fine.))