Hydaelyn Role-Players
Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? (/showthread.php?tid=9789)

Pages: 1 2

Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? - Enla - 01-25-2015

I'm not sure about the generally accepted preferences within this RP community, but I was thinking about what I wanted to do with Cylin today and I got along the idea of either making her a blacksmith or a tinker. I like the idea of her using her hands to create things, and it suits my normal MO to the point where I can comfortably ease myself into the community.

However, I'm curious if I should also pick up those particular skills and level them within the game - or their closest equivalents. People generally didn't care in the past if I chose to play a character one way, but have their class be something else entirely, but I do remember getting odd looks for - say - role playing a weapon's merchant when the character's class was a Sith Assassin. 

Sorry for the ramble, but will I get looks for not leveling a class that suits that sort of job if I decide to RP Cylin that way? Or do most people not care?

RE: Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? - Zizirimu Yayarimu - 01-25-2015

I just go back into 14 so take everything I say with a huge grain of salt.

To me, IC should reflect your OOC interests. This is a more "heavy RP" perspective, which is a minority opinion most of the time. From what I've seen in other communities, no one cares what you say you play vs what your class is... 

Just know there is no united front on this. Individuals will interpret things by their own standards. The reason why I find heavy RP more appealing is that it kind of dots all the i's and crosses all the t's out there, and people generally don't raise brows over things. The more casual you get... the more brows are raised. 

That is only if you care about such things. But then again, you asked so I assume you do!

RE: Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? - Enla - 01-25-2015

Thank you so much for the help. Big Grin I'm still undecided, and might just end up not going along with it in the end, but I'm extremely grateful for the perspective. :3

RE: Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? - Kellach Woods - 01-25-2015

The way I see it, if you can present a good story, I don't care about whether your class matches or not.

That being said, if you want to pick up crafting for the fun of crafting, you can get a sick looking blacksmith outfit at 50.

I'm probably not a good person to comment on this as I plan on using ALL the classes as glamourdumps, but yes.

RE: Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? - Chillsmack - 01-25-2015

I'm a heavy RPer, and loremonger, but even I don't believe in letting the in-game classes - or really ANY game mechanic - decide your roleplaying or story. This IS a video game, which means it will have mechanisms in play that do not seamlessly bleed over into a believable narrative. Even games that try to do this usually just muck it up more and break immersion such as everyone being able to teleport or having magic-power items that enable them to teleport, etc etc.

Basically, when in doubt, go for realism/believability.

From my experience, some people choose to RP the job guilds as things their characters are apart of: they RP being a member of the Marauder's guild and then also the Archer's guild and knowing some magic from the Thauamturges guild... Others don't: they respect and adhere to the world-lore, of course, but they use it to paint realistic and believable equivalents (i.e. just because you use an axe doesn't mean you're a "Marauder" and a member of the Marauder's guild as if they own and patent all axe-ownership and axe-usage in the entire world). 

Fortunately this game's crafting professions ARE in fact classes in game so you can get away with playing a blacksmith because it's an actual profession that you can select. Tinkerer...that depends on the definition you are using. If you're using the pop-culture video game defintion of tinkerer then you're talking about machinery, and there isn't an in-game equivalent of that so you'll want to find one of the other jobs that has the closest "appearance." 

Most RPers won't hold you to your in-game class/job.

RE: Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? - Zyrusticae - 01-25-2015

Well, what do you want to do?

In the end, that's what's most important, because everyone else is going to have some idea of their own on what's important and what's not.

Me, I can accept some level of difference between a character's game mechanics and their backstory (though I would prefer that that difference not be too large, i.e. not having any of the classes that they're supposedly skilled at even partly leveled). Trying to tie a character's roleplay too tightly with their mechanics just starts to fall apart when you begin to address the questions of "Should I represent in-character actions with in-game skills? What about item stats and character strength?", etc., etc.

In other words, I seek the middle ground. Don't ignore it entirely, but don't base in-character competency on it, either. Nice and simple.

RE: Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? - Enzo - 01-25-2015

Normally I pick a class for what weapons it has available and what clothes it has available. What can I see my character defending themselves with? A sword? a Spear? A bow? Whatever that may be. That is normally the class I will pick. If my character is a big book worm and I don't even use weapons. I may go Arcanist just to get the book to read. I don't have to know magic. It is just an nice IC tool. I got whatever class fits with how my character would be in the world. Of course, don't forget that you can change your class at anytime. You can be able to use swords and bows at the same time. Not like you can only know one and have no clue about the other.

A class can be a good basis lore wise. But does not strictly make itself something to be followed. I know people who have played other classes from final fantasy games as well, such as pretending to be a blue/red mage. There is no actual class for that in the game. But they believed that is how their character would be and made their character fit those roles (They did not use the names though. Just played like one) One of my characters is a Novelist, the other is a Explorer. Those are not classes XD. But I just make do with what the game gives me to make them like a novelist and explorer.

RE: Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? - Zizirimu Yayarimu - 01-25-2015

I should clarify, by "IC should reflect your OOC interests" I meant that you should focus your RP/character development towards what you like to do OOC'ly. For example if you like playing a range DD, try to make your character aim (pun intended) towards using a bow so that there is no huge divide between what you like to play vs what your character would be doing.

I completely agree with the point that Chillsmack made:
Quote:Basically, when in doubt, go for realism/believability.

If we're talking about immersion, it's way easier for me to understand your character as a healer when you play a white mage, as apposed to dragoon. You just have to mess around with what you like in-game and, if you want to achieve a bit of equality between the two, write your character so that she/he goes into the same direction you are enjoying as a player Smile

RE: Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? - Steel Wolf - 01-25-2015

I've personally used the classes and their related levels to provide a baseline for my character's ability, but it isn't a full dictation. For example, Steel's around level 40-something Armorer? Something like that. To my mind, even though that's ten levels from cap, that also is about middle ground when you take star-level crafts in to account. So, she's a journeyman armorsmith--someone who can make and maintain functional armor, but isn't capable enough or deft enough for finer quality work or filigree.

Of course, this can be bent to fit personal narrative a bit. Both Paladin and Warrior are level 50, but she's used swords pretty much her entire life. She's good with an axe and it suits her current mood and fighting style, but compared to someone who's trained longer with the weapon she's not near the level of prowess.

I'm still not sure how she'll transform into a Dark Knight to my satisfaction, since she's not skilled with aether manipulation at any great level, which will make her journey in Heavensward (ideally) interesting for both myself and anyone else who might come along.

These are all illustrations to offer my own mindset, and I suppose the TL;DR version is "Draw inspiration but don't assume demand." Just because you're an assassin doesn't mean you can't also bake a mean pie.

RE: Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? - Aaron - 01-25-2015

My class reflects my rp interest.

I like the thought od dual wield physical stuff lets me get creative. 

That and my characters looks and attitude reflect it also. 

Seriously, my characters face and attitude is so specialized he only looks good with one hairstyle.

After -all- these patches.

RE: Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? - Aris - 01-25-2015

(01-25-2015, 12:59 AM)Cylin Wrote: Sorry for the ramble, but will I get looks for not leveling a class that suits that sort of job if I decide to RP Cylin that way? Or do most people not care?

Personally I wouldn't mind. If we were roleplaying over forums for example, it wouldn't make a difference either way and we'd just be going by what each other says, and in-game I have a similar perspective. 
I get the impression many RPers here are quite understanding, so if you explain you've not leveled it up but your character is a Blacksmith, then I doubt it'd be a huge issue. It's the quality of the RP that matters in the end. You'll probably still get a couple of odd looks wondering why your character isn't the BSM class as the option is there! Tongue I imagine if it was a battle class it might be a bigger issue.

As others have said though, it would probably be helpful to level it up! For starters, you'll get the equipment involved, and the BSM outfit, which would help it be more believable and 'complete'. It would also open up some other RP opportunities - doing IC trades or making weapons, etc. It'll help make a good basis for your character.
Disciple of Hand classes aren't too bad to level up either, especially using leves. I've found myself becoming quite addicted to crafting. Blush

There are lots of classes to chose from, so depending on your view on what a 'tinker' is, there could be lots of options! 

Let me know if you do chose to level it up, as I'll craft you some HQ clothes to help. Smile

RE: Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? - Kamome - 01-25-2015

Three aspects are factors for me on this topic:

A. Personal Immersion
Speaking from personal opinion as a very visual person, nothing creates immersion like actually watching my character fight or craft. Even if you aren't IC 100% of the time (I'm not because I like leveling all the jobs, not just my RP ones), watching your character at work in what they actually do as people gives you a frame of reference for how combat and crafting actually look and 'feel' like in the game world. It adds an extra sensory layer to my immersion and helps me get in to character. So does seeing my character in their crafting or battle gear! Of course, some people prefer to use the game as a platform to express their own imaginations, and that's the flip side of my personal preference which subordinates my creative expression to Square's.

B. Quest Lore
While you could absolutely hop on to FFXIVDB and read all of the crafting and combat quest text transcripts, I have a much more entertaining time watching the NPC cutscenes and such while getting the story for my RP class. Personally, I don't like literally using the job quests as my own story, but they are awesome reference material for writing your own story. They really give you a sense of what the job actually is and does in the game world! For example, you would never know the Rogue Guild is actually a super-lawful organization in Limsa Lominsa unless you did the quests (or read them online, as I first did).

C. External Response
Perhaps above all, for me, personally, I love reacting in-character to the in-game stimuli around me. If someone is loudly hammering away at a sword or helm, I like for my character to take notice as they pass through the markets. If someone is dressed in impressive armor or shabby rags, I like for my character to make assumptions or inferences accordingly. RPing sensory stimuli make RP more interactive for me and also makes it easier to find things to improv and bring up in conversation. It also makes walk-up RP easier!

That's my three cents. Totally personal preference, but a perspective for you to consider! I have lots of fun with it. (^ω^)

RE: Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? - FreelanceWizard - 01-25-2015

(01-25-2015, 12:59 AM)Cylin Wrote: Sorry for the ramble, but will I get looks for not leveling a class that suits that sort of job if I decide to RP Cylin that way? Or do most people not care?

In general, I think most people don't mind it, especially since there are lots of things people can do (mixologist, magitek engineer, strategist, etc.) that aren't reflected by any kind of in-game abilities.

With that said, though, some (like me) will raise an eyebrow if someone who's not an NPC has no or very few levels in a class and claims to be a Worldwide Authority On The Topic. That's because they hold the (somewhat unpopular) opinion that game mechanics and levels do matter and can inform RP. Of course, they're not the sole defining factor, and I'm really speaking more to "I'm a level 1 Gladiator in starting gear, and I'm claiming OOC that I can wipe the floor with a level 50 Paladin in full Dreadwyrm gear" sort of situation. This doesn't sound like it's going to be an issue for you, though, since you're not really asserting your character is The Best Blacksmith, but rather that it's something she knows that informs the concept.

I suppose my advice is that it's a bit of a squishy area, but I don't think most people will really mind it that much -- particularly since you're referring to non-combat abilities, which means questions of "who's better" with all they entail are unlikely to come up. Smile

RE: Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? - Naunet - 01-25-2015

As someone who more often than not completely ignores the mechanic of classes when it comes to designing RP characters... yeah, I definitely wouldn't look askance at someone roleplaying a blacksmith who didn't have the BSM class leveled.

I know a lot of people like to use in-game classes as a base from which to spring forth. Personally, I just craft a character. Sometimes that lets me pull from certain flavors of a class more than others, sometimes not at all.

RE: Are classes and RP preferences intertwined? - Sounsyy - 01-25-2015

(01-25-2015, 05:23 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: With that said, though, some (like me) will raise an eyebrow if someone who's not an NPC has no or very few levels in a class and claims to be a Worldwide Authority On The Topic. That's because they hold the (somewhat unpopular) opinion that game mechanics and levels do matter and can inform RP. Of course, they're not the sole defining factor, and I'm really speaking more to "I'm a level 1 Gladiator in starting gear, and I'm claiming OOC that I can wipe the floor with a level 50 Paladin in full Dreadwyrm gear" sort of situation.

So, I haven't run into this yet while RPing my Balmung alt, but I think if anyone OOCly said my character couldn't defeat them ICly because my alt is only a lv25 GLA. . . I think I'd link them my Hyp-Sounsyy lodestone along with a giant middle finger. Thankfully, that's yet to happen!

But when I first started engaging in combat RP on Balmung, I did have to come up with some increasingly creative ways to explain why an ICly experienced gladiator and veteran soldier for near 20 years was getting her arse handed to her by a fistfighter with no combat experience to speak of. Sounsyy's pride suffers for my terrible RNG...