Hydaelyn Role-Players
Some help with Character, please? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Some help with Character, please? (/showthread.php?tid=9817)

Some help with Character, please? - Technic164 - 01-27-2015

So, while I sort of have an idea in mind, typically I just use the same character blueprint as I do with any RP I do in MMOs, my major hangup is that I'm not really sure what to do for a back story with my Miqo'te, Technic. Which right off the bat you will noticed he does not follow any of the naming conventions that are in place, and part of me really doesn't feel like throwing down 10 bucks for the change.

From my understanding, that would leave being an orphan or adopted as to would allow for such a bizarre name? Even then, 'Technic' seems far fetched for any races name. It's just the name I use for just about everything, maybe I should stop clinging to it so desperately.

I s'pose I'm asking what would be an acceptable reasoning for such an odd name, a reason that won't make everyone just roll their eyes and go 'Ugh, here we go again with another of these'.

At the very least, while I have his personality set, I would like him tied to the Maelstrom Grand Company somehow, like in Character he is among the ranks. Other than that I'm having a little trouble with ideas for back-story.

So yeah, asking for a little help with that? Not sure if here or Making Connections would've been the right board to post in.

RE: Some help with Character, please? - Atoli - 01-27-2015

I would think the bset way to flawlessly and lore-friendily work the name into the universe would be to say that it's the code name or alias the character goes by - perhaps "Technic" because of their love for technology or frequent use of such, and "Foxtale" for how their tail appears like that of a fox's. That's really the best advice I can offer here. :B

RE: Some help with Character, please? - Gegenji - 01-27-2015

Keep in mind, the name given to the Adventurer's Guild is not always one's TRUE name, and can also be an alter ego or nickname. Technic sounds quite a bit like the latter, and could have been earned due to what he does in the Maelstrom. Maybe being good with fixing up devices like Lominsan pistols and the like?

RE: Some help with Character, please? - Aya - 01-27-2015

Fox names are bad names!

I understand that there are quite a number of "cast off" Miqo'te who live in Limsa and have given up Miqo'te culture entirely to adapt to the hustle and bustle of the pirate-capital port.  I don't think you have anything to worry about Smile

RE: Some help with Character, please? - FreelanceWizard - 01-27-2015

The most important thing, IMO, is that you have the justification for the name and can discuss it ICly -- because it's going to come up in conversation. Smile If you view it as a hook for RP, it's a challenge and an opportunity.

Personally, I think a codename or nickname is going to be the way to go. Why did he get the name? When did he get it? Who gave it to him? Maybe he was a whiz at working on captured magitek -- or destroying it. Perhaps he spent some time with Garlond Ironworks and got the moniker for that training. Was he perhaps the son of a gunsmith, or did he just always hang around the gunsmiths? Did he save someone's life or save a ship by fixing a gun at the right moment? Maybe he MacGyver'ed a solution to keep a ship from sinking after it took Garlean cannon fire.

There was a nerdy inn-keeper who sometimes took him in when he was a kid.  The fellow was fond of saying someone was "technically correct."  Well, that 'Technic' guy must have been amazing to always be so correct!

RE: Some help with Character, please? - Technic164 - 01-27-2015

Thank you all so much for answering. Admittedly I had thought about it being a codename or nickname, Just helps when people agree on it, I suppose so thank you!

Now to figure out what his real name would be. Figure he's fond of his nick/code name and would use it favorably over his own.

And how he got the nickname. While I figure having some technical know-how or enjoys tinkering/repairing things would work. Is it commonly accepted for characters in RP to have an understanding of the Magitek? ..Though I suppose since we do get the magitek mounts it would be quite possible.

Pardon all the ah.. doubting questions, I'm just curious and have a passive fear as coming up as too Marty-stu with this character if he knows/does certain things. I'm just a weirdo about such details, I suppose.

Otherwise I can just go with the Gunsmith related ideas. Or something. Thank you for your input, and welcome to toss other ideas as well, thank you for the help, really. Big Grin

RE: Some help with Character, please? - Atoli - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 05:30 PM)Technic164 Wrote: Thank you all so much for answering. Admittedly I had thought about it being a codename or nickname, Just helps when people agree on it, I suppose so thank you!

Now to figure out what his real name would be. Figure he's fond of his nick/code name and would use it favorably over his own.

And how he got the nickname. While I figure having some technical know-how or enjoys tinkering/repairing things would work. Is it commonly accepted for characters in RP to have an understanding of the Magitek? ..Though I suppose since we do get the magitek mounts it would be quite possible.

Pardon all the ah.. doubting questions, I'm just curious and have a passive fear as coming up as too Marty-stu with this character if he knows/does certain things. I'm just a weirdo about such details, I suppose.

Otherwise I can just go with the Gunsmith related ideas. Or something. Thank you for your input, and welcome to toss other ideas as well, thank you for the help, really. :D

In the next expansion we'll actually have access to the Machinist class, so it's most certainly possible! If you want him to have a lot of know-how with technology, I imagine that'd be perfect :D

(01-27-2015, 05:30 PM)Technic164 Wrote: And how he got the nickname. While I figure having some technical know-how or enjoys tinkering/repairing things would work. Is it commonly accepted for characters in RP to have an understanding of the Magitek? ..Though I suppose since we do get the magitek mounts it would be quite possible.
Pshhhh I like my idea (because he wants to sound like this other really smart guy!), but you can go and do something technical with it instead Wink