Hydaelyn Role-Players
Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? (/showthread.php?tid=9827)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Racial RP: I wanted to make a racist joke but mods are watching this thread closely - Cato - 01-28-2015

On a side note, critique is a thing. You don't necessarily have to like it but not everybody is going to bend over backwards to lace their words with sugar. What matters is whether or not they back up their words with more than just sniping and ranting.

We're all wired differently and a healthy community is made up of lots of different people. I don't think there's much need to try and 'baby' people for being more blunt than others unless they're specifically breaking an established rule.

Again, this ties into what I was stating earlier about many people here coming from all sorts of different backgrounds and communities.

RE: Racial RP: I wanted to make a racist joke but mods are watching this thread closely - Telluride - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:48 PM)Alothia Wrote: ESPECIALLY the pink ones.

#effyourgenderstandards

So, a Chocobo IS, rather than does?

Chocobrand Kwehnderville approves.

RE: Racial RP: I wanted to make a racist joke but mods are watching this thread closely - Gegenji - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:48 PM)Alothia Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 02:46 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 02:45 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 02:43 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 02:40 PM)Alothia Wrote: Instead, let's frame it as "Racial RP: How do YOU do it?"

I definitely agree. The current thread name puts a bit of a negative spin on it, rather than offer a potential for suggestions on how to spice up your RP with more racial antics.

After the little back and forth with Kage has me tempted to put little ear-twitches into Chachan's emotes when he's curious about something, for example. I think it'd be cute.

"Hey, my Chocobo just had her chicks. Wanna see?"
*ear twitch*

This is a test to see who jumps on to point out that chocobos are all male in Eorzea, right? DID I WIN? AM I A WINNER?

Wait what, they are?

Even the pinku ones!?!?!

ESPECIALLY the pink ones.

#effyourgenderstandards

Maybe pink is a MANLY color in Chocobo standards. Don't be pushing your non-avian culture norms on my birdRP! Tonberry

RE: Racial RP: I wanted to make a racist joke but mods are watching this thread closely - Warren Castille - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:48 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: On a side note, critique is a thing. You don't necessarily have to like it but not everybody is going to bend over backwards to lace their words with sugar. What matters is whether or not they back up their words with more than just sniping and ranting.

We're all wired differently and a healthy community is made up of lots of different people. I don't think there's much need to try and 'baby' people for being more blunt than others unless they're specifically breaking an established rule.

Three different words in play here, though. "Critiquing" is not "sniping" and calling that out is not "babying." You can be plenty cross with people without being a jerk about it. Hell, that's kind of my whole MO. Are they awful roleplayers? Of course. Is it anyone's job to point that out? No, the red flags should stand for themselves.

Openly hoping people can't roll alts is hostility, not "being more blunt than others."

RE: Racial RP: I wanted to make a racist joke but mods are watching this thread closely - Alothia - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:48 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: On a side note, critique is a thing. You don't necessarily have to like it but not everybody is going to bend over backwards to lace their words with sugar. What matters is whether or not they back up their words with more than just sniping and ranting.

Again, this ties into what I was stating earlier about many people here coming from all sorts of different backgrounds and communities.

I disagree. I think that bluntness has it's place, and that's when people ask for it.

If no one asks for your blunt opinion, and it could be construed as something that isn't constructive, then you should keep it to yourself.

Keeps us Admin from having to step in every two seconds because someone answered blunt with snarky.

RE: Racial RP: I wanted to make a racist joke but mods are watching this thread closely - Cato - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:50 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:

Three different words in play here, though. "Critiquing" is not "sniping" and calling that out is not "babying." You can be plenty cross with people without being a jerk about it. Hell, that's kind of my whole MO. Are they awful roleplayers? Of course. Is it anyone's job to point that out? No, the red flags should stand for themselves.

Openly hoping people can't roll alts is hostility, not "being more blunt than others."

...and for all we know the post could have been written partly in jest. For all the talk of not judging others I just find it strange that that is exactly what's happening. Even if it isn't written in jest then there's obviously a reason as to why the guy feels so strongly about Au Ra.

It's not a great thing to wish on the realm but I can certainly see where's he's coming from.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Kage - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:50 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 02:48 PM)Alothia Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 02:46 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 02:45 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 02:43 PM)Gegenji Wrote: I definitely agree. The current thread name puts a bit of a negative spin on it, rather than offer a potential for suggestions on how to spice up your RP with more racial antics.

After the little back and forth with Kage has me tempted to put little ear-twitches into Chachan's emotes when he's curious about something, for example. I think it'd be cute.

"Hey, my Chocobo just had her chicks. Wanna see?"
*ear twitch*

This is a test to see who jumps on to point out that chocobos are all male in Eorzea, right? DID I WIN? AM I A WINNER?

Wait what, they are?

Even the pinku ones!?!?!

ESPECIALLY the pink ones.

#effyourgenderstandards

Maybe pink is a MANLY color in Chocobo standards. Don't be pushing your non-avian culture norms on my birdRP! Tonberry
Best Male Keeper friend who dresses in ALL the MAN mode Pink wear confirms.

Racial RP: I wanted to make a racist joke but mods are watching this thread closely - FreelanceWizard - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:46 PM)Blue Wrote: Telling others how to enjoy themselves in RP is generally always the worst approach you can take. If something bothers you in what others are doing with their characters, move along and leave the area. It has been working well for me.

Very much this. To tie back to the Au Ra, I'm not going to even consider concepts for one until I know some lore about them. If I'm asked, "Hey, Freelance, what do you think about my Au Ra concept?" (as if anyone ever asks me for advice Tongue ) I'm going to give my honest opinion, including, "I don't think you should come up with one until you know more of the lore, because the risk of being clobbered by lore is too high." However, I'm not going to tell people writing an Au Ra before the expansion drops is flat-out wrong. I will advise against it if asked, though.

All you need to make your RP work is not go too far off the lore and the realms of sanity and have narrative justification for things that are weird. That's all. Smile I think miqo'te players -- at least the ones represented here -- are doing that, and we should be supportive of the efforts. I feel bad that anyone isn't getting the RP they want, but conversely, everyone has constraints on what they can do. I'd like to play a more tribal miqo'te, and in fact I even have one created, but I simply don't have the time to do that, and RP my current character, and be an officer in an FC, and run the RPC forum, and do content, and live my real life. I've only got so many hours in the day to spend on fun stuff. Smile

<magicAdminHat>
Also, I'm changing the subject line 'cause it's giving the forum software fits on replies. Tongue

EDIT: Oh. Looks like I've been beaten to it. Smile
</magicAdminHat>

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Warren Castille - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:52 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote:

...and for all we know the post could have been written partly in jest. For all the talk of not judging others I just find it strange that that is exactly what's happening. Even if it isn't written in jest then there's obviously a reason as to why the guy feels so strongly about Au Ra.

It's not a great thing to wish on the realm but I can certainly see where's he's coming from.

Just so we're clear, you're referring to these lines:

Quote: "Best possibility I've read about AuRa and Heavensward in regard to RP in days, not even being sarcastic, I hope it stays locked."

"So...you're hoping new character creation stays locked throughout the release of the expansion...?"

"Yes, anything to stop people from ruining AuRa the same way they ruined Miqo'te."

as being written in jest? And if they aren't, no one should be upset he's hoping nobody can roll Au Ra to "ruin" them? So nobody should ever be reprimanded for what they say, especially if they've got a reason for saying it?

I believe we're at an impasse if so, sir.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Berrod Armstrong - 01-28-2015

That is the purpose of etiquette.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Zhavi - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:52 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote:

Not everyone has been saying to be judgement free. My point has been that it's incredibly silly to hold anyone to the lore when the lore is outright dumb in a lot of ways. It's poorly constructed, because the purpose of things like culture is most often flavor, and it doesn't make sense to expect an entire species to stick to one culture like they're some sort of hive mind.

But it's my opinion that disagreeing with people and stating that you think there is a better way to do things, and advising to do that, is part of being a community. Yes, it means that some arguments will never have an end, but you know. Anyone can have whatever opinion they want -- but just don't be surprised when someone disagrees with it (or judges you for it, for that matter. Part of being people). Hell, I expect people to disagree with me a lot of the time (I'm more often surprised when they don't). Isn't going to stop me from potentially saying that I think they are capital w Wrong, and isn't going to stop them from saying the same thing to me.

edit- my point, because I keep losing it: criticism of any opinion is gonna happen, and it should. It fosters discussion. Yes that means sometimes it will get circular. Mods are here to keep things from getting out of hand, let them do their job and leave the rest up to discussion.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Cato - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:52 PM)Alothia Wrote:

I disagree. I think that bluntness has it's place, and that's when people ask for it.

If no one asks for your blunt opinion, and it could be construed as something that isn't constructive, then you should keep it to yourself.

Keeps us Admin from having to step in every two seconds because someone answered blunt with snarky.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. Sites such as this tend to attract a wide range of different personalities and to be honest...I hold the belief that anything posted on a site such as this is open for debate unless explicitly specified. 

Again, some people are just naturally more blunt than others. Just like some people are more friendlier than others. Sometimes it's a culture thing and in other cases it's a personality thing. Either way I find it enjoyable to have a wide variety of different posting styles to read through.

Obviously the site rules should be adhered to at all times but I do thing debates such as this would benefit more from agreeing to disagree instead of claims that someone should never, ever do something.

You're very welcome to PM me though if you'd like to carry on the debate as I don't want to drive the thread off-topic into a debate about posting styles and the like.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Dogberry - 01-28-2015

M'aiq Tia knows many things.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - allgivenover - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:43 PM)Zhavi Wrote: When I want more of something (and I'm not finding it hard to rp like I am at the moment), I work to create a space where that sort of thing can flourish.  

I never thought of that before! I'll just hop back on my male Keeper Miqo'te and start a traditional clan based group that's highly matria-

Whoops.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Gegenji - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 03:13 PM)allgivenover Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 02:43 PM)Zhavi Wrote: When I want more of something (and I'm not finding it hard to rp like I am at the moment), I work to create a space where that sort of thing can flourish.  

I never thought of that before! I'll just hop back on my male Keeper Miqo'te and start a traditional clan based group that's highly matria-

Whoops.

T-talk to people? You know, people with FEMALE Keepers? Seriously, now. Huh

The point is to try connecting with people and seeing about creating that RP scenario you want to have. Find other people with similar interests, or might be at least willing to give the concept a spin. Griping and lashing out at people will not achieve that.