Hydaelyn Role-Players
Racial relationships - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Racial relationships (/showthread.php?tid=9863)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Racial relationships - Zetchryn - 01-30-2015

In response to Enzo:

Teeeeechnically I don't think that's how it works... I do think a Roe and a Lala are just too physically different. Technically, I wouldn't expect any race to be able to have children outside of it's race, but Square has said differently about some. I guess, in theory, you could have a Lala-Roe hybrid, but that thought has me going 0_o

RE: Racial relationships - Enzo - 01-30-2015

(01-30-2015, 06:29 PM)Zetchryn Wrote: In response to Enzo:

Teeeeechnically I don't think that's how it works... I do think a Roe and a Lala are just too physically different. Technically, I wouldn't expect any race to be able to have children outside of it's race, but Square has said differently about some. I guess, in theory, you could have a Lala-Roe hybrid, but that thought has me going 0_o

I was stating under the hypothesis that all races are able to breed with each other, that it would not be impossible. Under a logical sense. I would agree, there is a reason you can't breed dogs and cats together. But Square has not specified which can breed with which. So I am merely pointing all that there is a possibility for all options. Even if they seem unlikely. This IS still a fantasy world and I don't know how closely all the races are to each other genetically. Technicalities are difficult to work with considering the little technical information we have to pull from FFXIV Canon. The only technical information we have so far is that half breeds are possible. Whoever those half breeds may be half breeds of.

RE: Racial relationships - Desu Nee - 01-30-2015

(01-30-2015, 06:29 PM)Zetchryn Wrote: In response to Enzo:

It's like breeding a rottweiler with a toy poodle. Theoretically possible?

Yeah.

Physically healthy?

Seriously not.

RE: Racial relationships - Zetchryn - 01-30-2015

Yes, sadly... We know of only like... One or two that supposedly are, sadly.

So under the assumption that all races can breed with each other, but some mixes may be more healthy than others? How would that list out? 1 being healthy and higher unhealthy?
My hypothesis
1. Would obviously be with their respective clans.
2. Would be with their respective races.
3.Hyur and Miqo'te <- closest beyond the tail and ears to an original hyur.
4.Hyur/miqo'te and Elezen <- Relatively close beyond the shorter/taller height
5.Hyur and Roegadyn <- With the exception of Highlanders which may have it easier.
5.Elezen and Roegadyn <- Closer heights but worse width.
6.Hyur/Miqo'te with Lala <- Somewhat closer than other pairings.
7.Elezen with Lala <- Serious height differentiation.
8.Highlander/roe with Lala <- Serious everything differentiation
Tongue My guesses. I could be wrong.
That could also be a list for relative safeness to use in Half breeds.

RE: Racial relationships - Desu Nee - 01-30-2015

I'm pretty crossbreed is also heavily discouraged culturally wise. I mean the Miq'ote and Elezen really have a within one's clan policy.

(01-30-2015, 06:45 PM)Desu Nee Wrote: I'm pretty crossbreed is also heavily discouraged culturally wise. I mean the Miq'ote and Elezen really have a within one's clan policy.

Correct, but we are theorizing what a person should do if they DO cross breed. Because just because the cultural norms are there, does not mean we have to follow them. While stereotypes has basis, you can say Every American loves McDonalds and every Englishman loves fine tea.

RE: Racial relationships - Kamome - 01-30-2015

It would be seriously physically dangerous for a Miqo'te, Midlander or Lalafell to have a Roegadyn's child, or even an Elezen's or Highlander's child. I mean, sex aside, there is just not enough physical room. IRL, both my little brother and I were premature c-sections due to the fact that my mom is a tiny 4'11" Korean lady and my dad is a giant 6'4" Swedish dude. Not fun for her. And that's just a little bit over a foot difference in height.

RE: Racial relationships - Chris Ganale - 01-30-2015

I think I have one same-race pairing.

Ganale has been infatuated with miqo'te all his life, though he's never split hairs about keepers or seekers. He knows all the differences yeah, because he's a creeper and tried to learn everything about miqo'te he could, but whether an object of his affection is a sun cat or a night cat has never bothered him. Though given he's confessed to a Keeper who is practically snubbing him partially because she's a snooty scholarly type and partially because her upbringing has imparted a sexist mindset, and he has a daytime job in the Sagolii Desert when he lives in the Lavender Beds means they like never get to see each other... Yeah, he's had a bad love live.

Tahz is married to another Seeker so he's the one. Granted they're different tribes but they both didn't like the way their lives were going so left and met later. Babies ever after.

Seno and Motoko are both hyur, but she's highlander and he's midlander. But I honestly don't even differentiate between the two, nor do I ...-Ponders- In retrospect, I only differentiate between Keepers and Seekers.... So yeah. Those two are technically cross-race.

Oh, wait, no, Garon and Tessa are also both midlanders. REDACTED: THOSE TWO ARE NOT A COUPLE I'M NOT KIDDING.

Cres and Maresia are a midlander and a Keeper, but they're odd in that they're not together (yet) and she's...not...technically..? a miqo'te. Long story.

Yuuna and Hotaru are great, Yuuna is a midlander and Hotaru's going to be an Au Ra. That's going to be fun.

RE: Racial relationships - Lost River - 01-30-2015

From what I've seen and think its lore supported, is that Roegadyn and Lalafell are not genetically compatible with any other species other than their own.

But, Hyur, Miqo'te, and Elezen are; so it'd suggest a similar ancestor. So, in reality, on three species exist and one is split into three (or four if Au Ra turn out to be genetically compatible).

How about this, as the subject of Half breeds interests me a lot and I have been wanting to get this somewhat cleared up. Assuming you get past the cultural boundaries, what are the physical probabilities of racial blending? Let me try to explain it using Punnett square's. Lets assume there is an order of dominance over other races that dictates what race they will be born as and the probability of sucessful breeding with other races.

Lalafell <- Would be the most dominant. Anything breeding with this race will come out as a lalafell, at least initially.

Miqo'te <- The second most dominant, anything breeding with this race will come out a miqo'te unless it is a lalafell.

Hyur <- The absolute middle, It can breed with anything above and below it, but will be recessive in the upper levels and dominant in lower levels.

Elezen <- Would be dominant above Roegadyn but again recessive towards everything above.

Roegadyn <- Always reccesive. Breeding with any other race will turn out as a non Roe unless both races breeding together are half roe.

With Hyur as the base, breeding one up or one down will result in a 25% chance of failure compared to normal, but still possible. So if to breed between two hyur you need to roll a seventy five or lower on two d10's, then you now need to roll a 50 or lower in order to sucessfully breed between a Hyur and Miqo'te/Elezen.

Two away would result in a the bar lowering to 25 or lower in order to sucessfully breed with a Roe/Lala as a Hyur.

Three away would result in about a 12 or lower out of 100 then four away would result in 6 or lower out of 100. Those are my estimates should it be possible to breed between every race. Although there are some who would consider four away too far away to breed with each other.

The first offspring of a two pure blood race would be the dominant race. No doubt. But the second round of offspring is where the Punnet Square comes in. If you have a Mix Breed between a Miqo'te and a Hyur, then you mate with another Hyur or another Miqo'te. There is a chance you could have a Hyur and a chance you could have another Miqo'te/Hyur Mix. While genetically you would still have some miqo'te, your physical appearance would be more dominantly Hyur if you rolled to be more on the Hyur side of your Punnet square. The implemention of Punnet squares do not factor the blending of traits. But it can give an explanation for multi generational offspring of mixed breeds. You can just assume whatever race the punnet square provides will be their dominant race (Not their entire race) and that will be the race they would be playing a character as. Although they could still easily have traits of the other race :3

This above is all assuming you are breeding within your race/races If you get a Miqo'te/Hyur then have them breed with a Roe, I would just roll the difficulty as that of your Dominant race. More than two race half breeds make my head hurt though... (although the half Hyur part could better give you a reason to go Highlander as your mix between the two and drop your ears/tail.)

How does that sound to all of you? A reasonable explanation?

RE: Racial relationships - Kellach Woods - 01-30-2015

All of you saying you can't see Lalas being with Roes/Highlanders have seriously grandiose ideas on their bait and tackle.

RE: Racial relationships - Aduu Avagnar - 01-30-2015

(01-30-2015, 07:16 PM)Lost River Wrote: From what I've seen and think its lore supported, is that Roegadyn and Lalafell are not genetically compatible with any other species other than their own.

But, Hyur, Miqo'te, and Elezen are; so it'd suggest a similar ancestor. So, in reality, on three species exist and one is split into three (or four if Au Ra turn out to be genetically compatible).
nothing in lore about no lalafell/roegadyn, just because there is no evidence of a potential coupling does not mean that is evidence for none.

RE: Racial relationships - Aduu Avagnar - 01-30-2015

(01-30-2015, 07:21 PM)Enzo Wrote: With Hyur as the base, breeding one up or one down will result in a 25% chance of failure compared to normal, but still possible. So if to breed between two hyur you need to roll a seventy five or lower on two d10's, then you now need to roll a 50 or lower in order to sucessfully breed between a Hyur and Miqo'te/Elezen.
except exceedingly rare would be a lot lower than a 50% chance for a mixed offspring.

you would probably be looking at the single digits, as even a 25% chance would be too high.

(01-30-2015, 07:44 PM)Nakoli Chalahko Wrote:
(01-30-2015, 07:21 PM)Enzo Wrote: With Hyur as the base, breeding one up or one down will result in a 25% chance of failure compared to normal, but still possible. So if to breed between two hyur you need to roll a seventy five or lower on two d10's, then you now need to roll a 50 or lower in order to sucessfully breed between a Hyur and Miqo'te/Elezen.
except exceedingly rare would be a lot lower than a 50% chance for a mixed offspring.

you would probably be looking at the single digits, as even a 25% chance would be too high.

I don't think they are as rare as people put them off to be. Cultural reasons make them quite rare. But this is PHYSICAL reasons which Square spoke nothing of. So I am making my own assumptions to add to the reasoning why they are rare. But again, I don't believe they are single digit rare.

Lets assume only 1/200 of a pure blood race ever becomes interested in mating another race. Then that still makes them quite the minority. 1/200 is probably more NPC's then you may even be able to find in a major city. But the NPCs we see in Eorzea do not represent its total population. So therefore even if it is only as rare as 1/200, if there is a million+ People living on Eorzea. Then while rare. they are not extremely rare. And they don't need such a steep physical rareness to make then nearly impossible to be made. They are not albino or anything.