Hydaelyn Role-Players
Alternative names for classes in your RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Alternative names for classes in your RP (/showthread.php?tid=9900)

Pages: 1 2 3

Alternative names for classes in your RP - Seriphyn - 02-01-2015

So! Whenever I'm lite-RPing in my own personal headcanon through a dungeon, in my preferred RP glamour, I always say to myself "But I'm not a paladin" akin to supahotfire's "But I'm not a rapper". Technically, I suppose Kale is a 'master gladiator', but I'm not particularly keen on that word, given it's associated to the Coliseum, etc. Instead, in my head canon, I came up with the term 'sipahi' (from the in-game items) to basically mean a heavily-armoured Ul'dahn swordsman who can also fight in a cavalry capacity. Maybe like how an Ishgardian GLD is called a 'knight'!

Do you have any particular "alternative class names" that you use for your character? For example, maybe your character is an axeman but not a 'marauder' insofar as he/she lacks the 'Lominsan pirate' associations. An assassin rather than a rogue. It might be less fluid for conjury or thaumaturgy, given that the names of those disciplines in-universe seem pretty 'fixed', but there's no need to restrict that for the sake of this exercise.

Curious to hear of people's creations!

RE: Alternative names for classes in your RP - Aysun - 02-01-2015

In RP, I rarely use job names. I'll use "healer" for WHM/SCH folks and "mage" for BLM, that sort of thing. DRGs are all "lancers" .. if in doubt, I pull the class name. >_>

RE: Alternative names for classes in your RP - Zyrusticae - 02-01-2015

T'rahnu refers to herself as a "weapon master". Each one of her individual weapons is simply another tool in her set of tools. She makes a point of using all of them depending on what the situation demands, though she doesn't carry them all on her person, naturally, as that would be... complicated. She just keeps them all on her chocobo and picks them out after performing some reconnaissance.

Well, except for her daggers. She always has at least one dagger on her person at all times as a backup weapon. Hey, they're light and portable - what's not to like?

So you'll never hear her refer to herself by some other title. No "gladiator" or "lancer" or "marauder" or any such things. "What, this? 'S just a spear. A nice spear, an' I'm keen on it and all, but it don't describe me, ya ken?"

RE: Alternative names for classes in your RP - V'aleera - 02-01-2015

V'aleera will typically refer to herself as either "knight", "holy knight", or "dragoon", depending on who she is speaking with. Outside of conversations with other Ishgardians, she tends to default to the former two (with "holy knight" being more formal).

RE: Alternative names for classes in your RP - Adolar - 02-01-2015

Adolar usually considers himself a "ranger" or "hunter" when asked about his skills. "Marksman" could work too but that makes him sound as if he's an expert at what he does, something he would never really say about himself.

RE: Alternative names for classes in your RP - Inessa Hara - 02-01-2015

Thats a bit of a hard question. Something between Dark Knight and Detective for Inessa.

Dark Inquisitor? IDK, lol.

RE: Alternative names for classes in your RP - Miya Sakihi - 02-01-2015

I usually don't bring class into rp unless it's required. Since really anyone is capable of picking up a dagger, sword and shield and such to defend themselves. Bounty hunter would've been a previous job description for Miya I guess, or mercenary. Now she calls herself a chocobo whisperer and meat lumberjack.

RE: Alternative names for classes in your RP - Cato - 02-01-2015

(02-01-2015, 11:41 PM)Laevicious Wrote: I usually don't bring class into rp unless it's required. Since really anyone is capable of picking up a dagger, sword and shield and such to defend themselves. 

^

Likewise. That's pretty much my take on it as well. Graeham doesn't really fit into a 'class' as of yet. He's currently training to wield a gun and I intend to keep him out of combat roles until the expansion is upon us and I can reflect that through the Machinist class. Though he won't necessarily be a Machinist - just a traveler who happens to use a gun to defend himself and his allies.

RE: Alternative names for classes in your RP - Kinono - 02-02-2015

(02-01-2015, 11:41 PM)Laevicious Wrote: I usually don't bring class into rp unless it's required. Since really anyone is capable of picking up a dagger, sword and shield and such to defend themselves. Bounty hunter would've been a previous job description for Miya I guess, or mercenary. Now she calls herself a chocobo whisperer and meat lumberjack.

This. I think "class" in regards to the usage of weapons mostly applies to people who have that as a particular career or study under that specific guild. Someone who uses an axe isn't automatically a "Marauder," unless they trained with the Marauder's Guild, for example.

RE: Alternative names for classes in your RP - Enzo - 02-02-2015

Two handed sword but the hide and acrobatic abilities of a rogue. Wonder what that would be?

RE: Alternative names for classes in your RP - FreelanceWizard - 02-02-2015

L'yhta calls herself a "sorcerer" (specifically, "Limsa Lominsa's most splendiferous sorcerer" Dodgy ) based on her expertise in using magic, but that's largely just her puffery and self-aggrandizement speaking. Smile

RE: Alternative names for classes in your RP - Miya Sakihi - 02-02-2015

(02-02-2015, 12:17 AM)Enzo Wrote: Two handed sword but the hide and acrobatic abilities of a rogue. Wonder what that would be?

Cloud strife Big Grin

RE: Alternative names for classes in your RP - Enzo - 02-02-2015

(02-02-2015, 12:38 AM)Laevicious Wrote:
(02-02-2015, 12:17 AM)Enzo Wrote: Two handed sword but the hide and acrobatic abilities of a rogue. Wonder what that would be?

Cloud strife Big Grin

Really? XD I did not mean for that to happen lol. It just kind of did.

RE: Alternative names for classes in your RP - TheLastCandle - 02-02-2015

I refer to Yvelont as a ranger, but that's more to do with a specific lifestyle and skill set (wilderness survival, scouting, tracking) than the weapons he employs.

RE: Alternative names for classes in your RP - ChewableMorphine - 02-02-2015

I just go for the straight up Wrestler title. That or the go-to Gladiator for Flynt's use of machetes over knives as a NIN/ROG.