[SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2

Kage

I think it'd be a little dull if nobody major died. A dose of tragedy keeps things fresh and the developers did promise that Heavensward would be the darkest point in the story yet.

Well, we're technically not in Heavensward YET, so the dark points may still be yet to come. Still, it's all theory until some actual information comes through either the game or from the devs themselves. I haven't gotten to see the cutscenes yet to compare to the Reddit idea, but I do kinda like the idea of Nanamo finally pulling a fast one on the Monetarists rather than the other way around.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theorycrafting time, courtesy of this post on Reddit:

My theory is... nobody important died. That includes all the scions, and even Nanamo.

Nanamo was tipped off to the plot by Alianne or Momodil. She somehow either had the antidote handy, or swapped out the goblet's contents when the handmaiden left to summon you.

Why would she do this? This was the only way she could make Lolorito/Teledji's plots come to light and swing the balance of the city away from the Merchant class. You can't just make a equal society by saying "everyone is equal" you have to even it out, how better to even it out than have them exposed as traitors.

Reasoning for this thought? Other than the fact that they can't kill off Nanamo without her having at least 1 heroic moment (plot armor). Nobody checks to see if she is dead in the cutscene, also they don't show the body, even when they could have shown it to Raubahn to inflict more wounds. Not only that Ilberd says he saw the body... when he's clearly paid off. I'm pretty sure she escaped through her fireplace (that they made sure to point out at a later point in the cutscenes was in her chambers). As to where she is now... she is either being protected by Pipin or is actually hiding in plain site as Pipin in a Zelda/Shiek way.

As for the scions... once again they never showed the bodies. Minfilia being told something by Crystal Lady pretty much shows nobody is dying. She had no reason to turn around and run back towards the rubble of the cave-in.

Also the only real loss... is Raubahn's arm... which happens to be the achievement name. (And where Nanamo sits).

I personally consider her not dead and possibly in hiding until I see an actual body. This is more of an end-of-season cliffhanger than anything else.

It certainly would be a nice change of pace to see Nanamo actually outsmarting her enemies for once.

The only problem with that, is that the amount of huge, far-reaching consequences caused by such fakery would be almost an unforgivable crime for Nanamo herself.

The chain of events practically wiped out the Scions, almost killed Rauhbhan, killed Syndicate members, and countless others just involved.

"Sorry all your friends are dead... but at least equality is a bit closer in Ul'dah now!"

- The other thing is we literally saw her die. That's a righteous amount of acting, and if it was all a fake I'd want to kill her myself afterwards for all the death it caused.

So, do the Sultansworn know about the situation, or are they being kept in the dark just as much as the rest considering Jenlyn's new dialogue? At the very least, I would assume that folks like Papashan would be in the know.

Either way, it's not as if the Sultansworn have not gone through a power shift before.  Rulers have been displaced in the past.  Of course there will be upheaval among the officers, but at the end of the day there is a new boss.

My beef with Square Enix is that these supposed elite royal guards seem to be completely worthless at their jobs.

Flynt's gonna have a field day with you guys.

In regards to the WoL's lack of uh... action throughout these events, I must say that's one of the biggest failings of the MSQ. They're trying so hard to make the WoL apply to every player that they're actually unable to really do much of anything. It's gotten to the point where the WoL really does seem like an air-headed dunce who just goes to murder wherever they're pointed at that particular moment. It's frustrating enough that I actually tend to speed through any dialogue about the WoL in particular and just watch for all the various bits of world lore instead.

... Also, I'm so disappointed that we don't seem to be getting a proper Au Ra introduction prior to Heavensward launch. This lack has me very curious what the actual race lore will be. Their arrival must not be a very dramatic occasion. In fairness, that does leave more possibilities open for RPers.

Emotional reply ahead.

The main quest has killed me in many ways. As I told K'nahli, I feel that several of the friends I've made for the past year and a half are gone, and the world I've been living in is no more. It's an odd feeling.

And it's exactly because the story has hurt me that I find it very good. The best I've seen in an online game, in fact. SE did really well. Very, very well, even if they had to step on our feelings for that =A=;

My beef with Square Enix is that these supposed elite royal guards seem to be completely worthless at their jobs.

To be fair, most Royal Guards are not very effective.  Their purpose is symbolic of the power of the monarch they serve, and as far as I am aware they never have made a real difference in historical contexts.  They either change sides, surrender, are killed, or else slowly peter out as a meaningful force. 

They wear the fancy outfits.  Put on the fancy hats.  Look really good in ceremonies, and perhaps serve as a slight check against those who would plot against the monarch, but in the end are nothing more than a speed bump on the route toward revolution or usurpation.  In that regard, the Sultan Sworn seem par for the course.

The Au Ra roll out seems ridiculously anti-climactic.  She's a midlander with horns, not so different than a Padjal.  If she just told us that some Hyur from Doma looked that way no one would have blinked—why the mask?

In regards to the WoL's lack of uh... action throughout these events, I must say that's one of the biggest failings of the MSQ.

I agree entirely!  Sort of... or not at all!  I don't think its a failing really... I'd rather see the MSQ as a series of cut scenes or text that didn't involve the player, and didn't require a series of quests to complete in game (in order to access current content).

The MSQ itself is, to me, the very greatest failing of this game.  I like the lore tidbits that it unveils, and that's about it, otherwise I only complete it because its strictly required. 

Since this part of the MSQ is so dramatic, I am actually looking forward to it at least :)

I wasted what little resolve I had to discuss this with Clover, so to keep it brief and to the point; this entire arc broke me. I have never been so overcome with such a wide range of emotions from anything of it's kind - and for that, I suppose it is only right to give credit where credit is due. SE did a great job... even if it literally destroyed me in the process.

(Though I will say this.... for f*ck's sake, I mean, Laurentius? Really? Why in the name of the twelve would you take his word  for it given what you had known so far? My God...)

Alphinaud still isn't dead.

So that's a thing.

I suspect he gets plot immunity due to his age. I doubt they'll kill off a kid on-screen.

Ironic given that most of the events happened because of his arrogance...

Alphinaud still isn't dead.

So that's a thing.

Honestly I was half-hoping that during that little council meeting Merlwyb was just going to whip her gun out and shoot him in the face for acting like such a whiny little ass.

If any one character deserves to get their shit slapped in the MSQ, it's him.

I was impressed, especially with the animation in Nanamo's death scene.

Personally I believe that Nanamo has died and she will be the 'big death' of the 2.0 story line. I imagine events will unfold within the expansion story (or level 60 story) that see us aiding Raubahn to take place as some sort of city ruler, ala Merlwyb and Kan-E. I could be totally off the mark here, though.

As for the Scions... I'm torn. I have this big feeling that they haven't died, as everything was more implied with them. Bright lights/running down corridors do not have to mean death. But one part of me WANTS them to have died, else it takes away some of the huge impact this last patch has made and sets up a big change going forwards.

Yugiri's reveal was a missed opportunity, though Tataru's cheer-up speech was wonderful. I would love for her to take a bigger role in the Scions come 3.0. Alphinaud needed to die, I felt. He's plagued the story for me a little too much. Considering he was at a sword's end in a room of seven soldiers, I do not understand how he has escaped when the accomplished Scions appear to have perished.

Overall, though? I enjoyed it, over-the-top fight scenes aside. Good show, Square Enix!

Edit: Pipin NPC of the year 2k15. I can not WAIT to see more of this chap. (Thanks Kage for reminding me!)

I am praying that Jenlyns is right and the fact of the matter is Nanamo is horribly fucking crippled and ill, not dead.

To have Nanamo make a big deal out of the end of the Sultanate in 2.4, and then have this fucking happen, comes across less as a serious plot twist and more "LOL NOPE". Why even fucking bother? I see what they tried. I really do. They wanted to make us think Nanamo was gonna fix everything and then, bam, out of nowhere that chance is swept out from under us.

Except for the fact that I am laughing. Because it came across as a fucking joke.

When I can feel that the death of a walking, talking Macguffin in the form of Xion from Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is justifiably heart-wrenching and acceptable in comparison to the way SE has killed off Nanamo, that says a lot. It says a fucking lot. Like, they stopped caring after 2.4.

It really bothered me how there was no blood from Raubahn. I mean, I know they were probably doing it to keep the rating down, but at least toss a healing spell at him or something to make it seem more realistic :L

Also how people just kind of shrugged off injuries was kind of strange to me. 

Overall this was an interesting turn of events, to the point that I actually enjoyed all of the cutscenes.

It really bothered me how there was no blood from Raubahn. I mean, I know they were probably doing it to keep the rating down, but at least toss a healing spell at him or something to make it seem more realistic :L

Overall this was an interesting turn of events, to the point that I actually enjoyed all of the cutscenes.

I get the feeling it was a graphics limitation. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we would have seen Teledgi get cleanly bisected at the waist.

I am praying that Jenlyns is right and the fact of the matter is Nanamo is horribly fucking crippled and ill, not dead.

To have Nanamo make a big deal out of the end of the Sultanate in 2.4, and then have this fucking happen, comes across less as a serious plot twist and more "LOL NOPE". Why even fucking bother? I see what they tried. I really do. They wanted to make us think Nanamo was gonna fix everything and then, bam, out of nowhere that chance is swept out from under us.

Except for the fact that I am laughing. Because it came across as a fucking joke.

When I can feel that the death of a walking, talking Macguffin in the form of Xion from Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is justifiably heart-wrenching and acceptable in comparison to the way SE has killed off Nanamo, that says a lot. It says a fucking lot. Like, they stopped caring after 2.4.

I actually kind of liked that about the death.  Death isn't always this huge climatic, heroic end; especially in political situations. 

Storywise, it wasn't a giant "LOL NOPE" from the devs, it was Nanamo making herself a clear threat to people in power, and those people in power taking action to keep it.  It seems like that because we only see it from our, and thus, Nanamo's perspective.  But in a political storyline, choking to death from poison is a relevent and expected end to you and any plot you had.  It's meant to be sudden, and seemingly anti-climatic.

As a Crusader Kings 2 player, I fully approve of poisoning a leader to death!

I get the feeling it was a graphics limitation. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we would have seen Teledgi get cleanly bisected at the waist.

Think it has to do with laws and all that, and the PG16 rating :(

The Au Ra roll out seems ridiculously anti-climactic.  She's a midlander with horns, not so different than a Padjal.  If she just told us that some Hyur from Doma looked that way no one would have blinked—why the mask?

Honestly, most of Eorzea's inhabitants are racist as all hell.  This is seen in countless examples throughout the game through Fates, random npc dialogue, and other means. I'm pretty sure some of the more local people would /not/ have liked the look of Yugiri, or may have tried to kill her by the horns alone.

In fact, I'm honestly more surprised Haurchefant wasn't in shock with Yugiri, but he's such a bro in the English dialogue.