[SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2

Kage

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel absolutely dead inside. I just. Can't even. 

Illberd was my favorite. 

I have however always disliked Urianger. I knew that pompous son of a knife-ears' up-to level was at "no good" 

I suppose he could still turn out good but.. for now. Grr. 

I hope the crystal braves person with the eyepatch (im terrible with names) is going to come through alright though.

After my friend went for dinner(not long after my initial post), I just shut everything down, turned on some music and napped for a couple of hours. Honestly I don't feel that much better which is a bit surprising ;

I honestly don't know if I should be happy or sad that I managed to be this affected by the progression of the plot because, as amazing as it is that it has had such an unprecedented impact on me, I can't say that I am happy to have this feeling. It's incredibly difficult to explain. FFXIV is the only game I play and is my home, yet right now I feel as though I have been stripped of everything and that just makes me feel as though I am completely lost as to what to do the moment. I don't feel like playing the game, even less with continuing to level up my tia who has just begun the Shiva arc(good luck to me re-watching any cutscenes with Ilberd and such in them again...).

But then again, what the hell else am I going to do with my spare time? This game is where my heart is.

Yeeegh.... I must sound ridiculously over-the-top with, what I can only assume comes off as very melodramatic, but I honestly feel pretty depressed about this whole thing right now (_ _) ;;;;;;;

Edit:

I was crushed by the Ilberd thing too. I did not see it coming.

Illberd was my favorite. 

See, I never liked him... He always struck me as a suspicious person, and I was justified in my suspicions!

He may or may not have been a favorite due to me being partial to good looking highlanders *cough* In hindsight, I can see the suspicious signs.

Pipin the Lalafell is quickly stepping in to take his place as a favorite though, he has the /best/ voice ever and he looks awesome.

Illberd was my favorite. 

See, I never liked him... He always struck me as a suspicious person, and I was justified in my suspicions!

The "Friend I had back when times were tough and then we went our separate ways only for him to be tempered into a bad guy while I became a good guy" cliche is all over this. In all its wordy glory.

I feel absolutely dead inside. I just. Can't even. 

Illberd was my favorite. 

I have however always disliked Urianger. I knew that pompous son of a knife-ears' up-to level was at "no good" 

I hope the crystal braves person with the eyepatch (im terrible with names) is going to come through alright though.

He just answered the summons, it's not evidence of him being a traitor.

I'm with Rakka'li. The Ascians refer to him as "Archon" - pretty much the sworn enemies of the Ascians throughout history. I think what Urianger's research has been towards was finding a way into the Ascian realm.

That said, historically, there have been Archons who have turned upon their masters in the past. Ahldbhar comes to mind. Idk... Urianger doesn't seem traitorous to me, despite my dislike of him from his 1.0 introduction.

I'm with Rakka'li. The Ascians refer to him as "Archon" - pretty much the sworn enemies of the Ascians throughout history. I think what Urianger's research has been towards was finding a way into the Ascian realm.

That said, historically, there have been Archons who have turned upon their masters in the past. Ahldbhar comes to mind. Idk... Urianger doesn't seem traitorous to me, despite my dislike of him from his 1.0 introduction.

With these guys ^

I haven't played the new patch yet but from what I've been reading I'm going to thoroughly enjoy this patch.  A lot of people dislike or disheartened by this patch and I can understand but I still have to ask, why? I think SE did their job quite well if they make you feel so strongly by creating compelling and relatable characters if you get so bent out of shape over their circumstances. Also, the fact that there is relatively no plot armor and that feeling of "no one is safe," gets a lot of respect from me.  In a city full of political intrigue and power to be had, how could you not expect this outcome?

Anyhow, 10 more minutes and I get to go home and experience what a lot of you have already.

Cheers.

I'm going to enjoy this patch because every time Ul'dah gets fucked I lol.

So far, not at that point, but I'm gonna nitpick it muchly when I do get there. I would have loved that the council actually shove the "fuck you I got mine" attitude the Ishgardian showed more in Alphinaud's face - Merlwyb's "First Limsa, then the Alliance, then maybe Ishgard and the rest" was just not enough.

I haven't played the new patch yet but from what I've been reading I'm going to thoroughly enjoy this patch.  A lot of people dislike or disheartened by this patch and I can understand but I still have to ask, why? I think SE did their job quite well if they make you feel so strongly by creating compelling and relatable characters if you get so bent out of shape over their circumstances. Also, the fact that there is relatively no plot armor and that feeling of "no one is safe," gets a lot of respect from me.  In a city full of political intrigue and power to be had, how could you not expect this outcome?

Anyhow, 10 more minutes and I get to go home and experience what a lot of you have already.

Cheers.

I'm glad I have an excuse to ask this now actually since I've seen it elsewhere today as well and the idea just absolutely boggles me, especially since you're certainly far from alone in this, but why on earth would you look up spoilers to a story if you're both interested in it and intend on experiencing it yourself?

So far, not at that point, but I'm gonna nitpick it muchly when I do get there. I would have loved that the council actually shove the "fuck you I got mine" attitude the Ishgardian showed more in Alphinaud's face - Merlwyb's "First Limsa, then the Alliance, then maybe Ishgard and the rest" was just not enough.

The same Merlwyb who begged for the Scions to solve all the Primal problems she and her nation made for themselves?

The same Merlwyb who begged for the Scions to solve all the Primal problems she and her nation made for themselves?

the one and only ;) :P

the one and only ;) :P

Yep. The very same although I'd just say the Scions were formed to defend against the Primal menace from my understanding so it makes sense for her to call on them for that specific purpose. The Dravinian/Ishgarde war is "unrelated" to the concerns of the Alliance so that's a thing to consider. Obviously we know that they're completely related and that they should do their damnedest to help, but ya know.

Steps of Faith is bullshit.

I'm glad I have an excuse to ask this now actually since I've seen it elsewhere today as well and the idea just absolutely boggles me, especially since you're certainly far from alone in this, but why on earth would you look up spoilers to a story if you're both interested in it and intend on experiencing it yourself?

I can actually answer this for myself since I'm the same way. Just *knowing* something is going to happen is very far removed from actually experiencing it. For me knowing whether or not a death was forth-coming (and in Nanamo's case, it was foreshadowed so much it was barely a spoiler) doesn't change how it affects me.

It may lose it's shock value (though in Nanamo's case, it really didn't with how vicious that animation looked); but it doesn't lose any of the emotional value. After all, I spent the past 50+ levels getting to know these characters, it doesn't matter if someone told me at Level 1 Thancred is a jerkface, Blue-Guy betrays everyone, and Princess gets her comeuppance; it won't un-immerse me or make me grow cold to the characters.

I wasn't suggesting that simply foreseeing something would take away any attachment or liking you develop for said character but I would have imagined that the shock factor was pivotal to the overall effect that the experience has on you. Not anticipating something only for it to be thrown in your face and/or being wary of something happening, yet hoping against hope that it doesn't - only to be denied - adds to the feeling and experience of tension.

If you know something will happen beforehand, then you have time to harden at least slightly to it(unless it's very unsettling) before actually bearing witness to it and in a sense I would argue that removing most of the shock factor also subtracts from the emotional rollercoaster it would otherwise take you on.

*with that, goes to sleep and hopes for a happier, sunny day come morning*

To have an emotional rollercoaster, you need to care about the characters. Square has done nothing to do that for me as far as MSQ is concerned. They could die, disappear forever, spit on their graves and I'd be like "yeah sure whatever".

I just do. not. care.

I want to get this shit over with so we're introduced to a new set of characters I might actually like.

Also, disclaimer for cutscenes? How about you get someone who can actually space those out?

Sultana getting bodied was hilarious. Especially since I had my ninja outfit on so it actually looked like I did it. Welp, one useless ruler down. 3 more to go. (Also, you're alone with 3 brass blades, Teledji and the handmaiden - you could body them free and actually do something GOOD for Eorzea instead of just standing around being a dumbass.)

Also, what did I say last patch?

BURN UL'DAH TO THE GROUND, IT HAS NOTHING GOOD TO OFFER EORZEA.

Hey look at that I was right!

To be fair though, WoL is the most incompetent of the bunch so yeah.