Heavensward Jobs, and Au Ra Lore now available

*puts on his tinfoil farseeing cap*

Dark Knights are pariahs in their own lands. THANKS, SE, FOR GIVING US YET ANOTHER ISHGARDIAN-SPECIFIC CLASS.

Because the arguments over DRGs being all over Eorzea aren't enough!

Not Letting that hold me back. I'm gonna meet that conflict head on IC xD

It's actually pretty easy to work around. All a character would have to do is hear rumors about the Bat dark knights operating under the noses of the Holy See, then get inspired to do the same. I'm not sure where TEH DRAKNESS comes into play but that almost doesn't matter - the intent of the class seems like more than enough to get people to unite under that ideology.

"Is the system the problem" has been a recurring theme in my RP for a bit. Warren won't be becoming a Dark Knight, but I'm probably going to switch him to a Greatsword maybe? Knowing that he's not "alone" in that sense would do him some good, though.

We Batman, Inc. now.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*puts on his tinfoil farseeing cap*

Dark Knights are pariahs in their own lands. THANKS, SE, FOR GIVING US YET ANOTHER ISHGARDIAN-SPECIFIC CLASS.

Because the arguments over DRGs being all over Eorzea aren't enough!

Not Letting that hold me back. I'm gonna meet that conflict head on IC xD

It's actually pretty easy to work around. All a character would have to do is hear rumors about the Bat dark knights operating under the noses of the Holy See, then get inspired to do the same. I'm not sure where TEH DRAKNESS comes into play but that almost doesn't matter - the intent of the class seems like more than enough to get people to unite under that ideology.

"Is the system the problem" has been a recurring theme in my RP for a bit. Warren won't be becoming a Dark Knight, but I'm probably going to switch him to a Greatsword maybe? Knowing that he's not "alone" in that sense would do him some good, though.

We Batman, Inc. now.

I'm gonna spike your juice with void kool-aid! Make ya Certified!

Xaela is probably what I'm going with, I like them too much. But I'm gonna be boring and say she's an Othard nomad - never venturing into Eorzea before. My fiance is rolling her oldest brother and he's going to be a Dark Knight - vigilante Batman justice seems right up his alley really, now we have to do lore bending so an Au Ra could be one...

Hopefully though they explain that so we don't have to, but it shouldn't be too difficult if we do.

Ahhh, lore! Excitement! I'm actually pleased with all of the lore descriptions. MCH we pretty much already had a good idea of, AST makes sense for reasons stated by others earlier in the thread, and for DRK... I kind of like their 'darkness' is just their aesthetic/powers, and their motivations are something that's still noble. It means they actually bothered to keep the 'knight' part of Dark Knight genuine. All of the Batman references weren't just silly randomness! I can dig it.

Now, dat Au Ra lore drop... I am very, very conflicted. I have so many potential ideas for both! Urgh! Perhaps deciding will be easier when we hopefully see the benchmark in about a week or so. I hope the scales won't be color-locked. =/ (I always expect the worst, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were.)

and for DRK... I kind of like their 'darkness' is just their aesthetic/powers, and their motivations are something that's still noble. It means they actually bothered to keep the 'knight' part of Dark Knight genuine. All of the Batman references weren't just silly randomness! I can dig it.

I'm not entirely surprised. Dark Knights were never actually portrayed as "evil" or not noble as far as I can tell. Falgabard in FFIII was the land of the Dark/Magic Knights, and it was just a town of a dwindling population who mastered an art that brings great power at the cost of their lives - and was in front of a cave that had enemies that could only be harmed by their special skills (guardians, perhaps?). Cecil was a Dark Knight, and only did "evil" things in the collection of the Crystals - which was being ordered by a fake copy of the King (FFIV spoilers, I know...) - and was quick to turn on the matter once he learned the truth. There's no evidence that the Dark Knights of Baron did anything untoward before that point, and even Cecil mentions how the King was an honorable and just man (which is why he followed him in the first place... along with being a sort of "adopted son" if I recall).

They've never really been ignoble. It's just the power itself that can be dangerous. The only "evil" Dark Knight I can think of is Gaff/Goffard Gafgarion in Final Fantasy Tactics (though his class was changed in the War of the Lions re-release to Fell Knight as Dark Knight was added as a new Job) - and he was just a brutal mercenary who did what he was paid to do. Yet, you also had the rather good-aligned T.G. Cid using those same abilities amongst all the other sword skills.

I honestly don't get why people expected Dark Knight to be this evil-yet-not, grimdark antihero when the class was almost never presented that way in the games it appeared in.

I honestly don't get why people expected Dark Knight to be this evil-yet-not, grimdark antihero when the class was almost never presented that way in the games it appeared in.

People misremembering. Alternatively, people played FFXI.

Did they change Dark Knight into some super grimdark thing there that I just don't remember? All I can recall of FFXI's Dark Knight is that you had to kill a bunch of enemies with a sword to unlock the class. Everything else I can find on them just reaffirms the whole "at a cost" thing that encapsulates Dark Knights as a whole. Sure, their attacks have "dark and edgy" names, but there's nothing I can find that would create that sort of opinion...

Maybe people just see the word "Dark" or "Darkness" and immediately think horrible things are afoot.

People misremembering. Alternatively, people played FFXI.

Did they change Dark Knight into some super grimdark thing there that I just don't remember? All I can recall of FFXI's Dark Knight is that you had to kill a bunch of enemies with a sword to unlock the class.

One of the prominent Bastok NPCs was a classic case of Edgelord status. People took that as the default attitude. I liked Zeid, but... Yeah. He's a bit over the top.

and for DRK... I kind of like their 'darkness' is just their aesthetic/powers, and their motivations are something that's still noble. It means they actually bothered to keep the 'knight' part of Dark Knight genuine. All of the Batman references weren't just silly randomness! I can dig it.

Snip

I'm aware of most of this. I can't speak for others, of course, but I personally never was under the assumption that DRK was any of those misconceptions. (Mainly because I actually bothered to educate myself on its history.) My comment was more or less me being glad they didn't differentiate from that path to meet some petty player expectation, or something.

Snip

I'm aware of most of this. I can't speak for others, of course, but I personally never was under the assumption that DRK was any of those misconceptions. (Mainly because I actually bothered to educate myself on its history.) My comment was more or less me being glad they didn't differentiate from that path to meet some petty player expectation, or something.

Ah, that makes sense. Just worried SE'd do like what they did with the FF7 characters in all the spinoffs and such (controversial statement!). I can understand that.

Hopefully this will help remind folks that Zeid (Thank you for the clarification on that, by the way, Warren!) is not the end-all-be-all to how Dark Knights act. Of course, there's nothing keeping the player from playing their DRK like that, as such things are their prerogative and not for me to question... but there's just nothing saying that's how they "have" to be played.

I suppose that spreads to the Au Ra (and everything else as well) - there's nothing really keeping you from playing any of them how you want. Some will just "fit" the lore better, and you can always work around that with a little creative bending and explanation.

Ah, that makes sense. Just worried SE'd do like what they did with the FF7 characters in all the spinoffs and such (controversial statement!). I can understand that.

Hopefully this will help remind folks that Zeid (Thank you for the clarification on that, by the way, Warren!) is not the end-all-be-all to how Dark Knights act. Of course, there's nothing keeping the player from playing their DRK like that, as such things are their prerogative and not for me to question... but there's just nothing saying that's how they "have" to be played.

I suppose that spreads to the Au Ra (and everything else as well) - there's nothing really keeping you from playing any of them how you want. Some will just "fit" the lore better, and you can always work around that with a little creative bending and explanation.

He acted exactly as you'd expect for someone who looks like this.

Zeid_FFXI_Minagawa_Art.jpg

Though, we should clarify. Dark Knight isn't Batman. Dark Knight is the Punisher.

He acted exactly as you'd expect for someone who looks like this.

Zeid_FFXI_Minagawa_Art.jpg

Though, we should clarify. Dark Knight isn't Batman. Dark Knight is the Punisher.

"May your next life be bathed in blessed light"

-Novalmauge

Um, I can't say I'm fond of the Au Ra lore. I was hoping that (at least some) Au Ras could come from the new lands beyond Ishgard, for those are the ones we'll explore. Instead, we get a lore related to a land we aren't going to see anytime soon, which means we can't really and actively play their lore, especially in the case of Xaela.

We know that some Raen might have been forced to scape to Eorzea with the Domans, but Xaela? All the lore says is that they have their tribes and their wars in those far away lands. Why would they even come to Eorzea? Vacation? Maybe running away too? Any case means we won't be able to explore their tribal lives nor we'll be able to participate in their wars.

I don't know, I feel that giving them a story we can't really play out is such a waste (>_<; Every single Au Ra will be stuck with the "I ran away from my land" premise.

Um, I can't say I'm fond of the Au Ra lore. I was hoping that (at least some) Au Ras could come from the new lands beyond Ishgard, for those are the ones we'll explore. Instead, we get a lore related to a land we aren't going to see anytime soon, which means we can't really and actively play their lore, especially in the case of Xaela.

We know that some Raen might have been forced to scape to Eorzea with the Domans, but Xaela? All the lore says is that they have their tribes and their wars in those far away lands. Why would they even come to Eorzea? Vacation? Maybe running away too? Any case means we won't be able to explore their tribal lives nor we'll be able to participate in their wars.

I don't know, I feel that giving them a story we can't really play out is such a waste (>_<; Every single Au Ra will be stuck with the "I ran away from my land" premise.

Well to be fair there isn't a ton of Lalafell lore either aside from homes on giant tortoises but people still effectively play them. Just be patient and give them time. Players will adjust and I am sure it will be fine. I agree there could have been more but as they say....make lemonade with the lemons you've been given. :)

Unfortunately the lore seems to actively go against us role players. The Xaela are nomadic, so perhaps something along the lines of being ... nomadic can be played out, perhaps fleeing from the garleans as well. Hopefully their level 1~15 quests atleast show off some of their lore and life style.

Will they have their own quests? So far I thought they'd share the same main story as everyone else, since you can Fantasia your main character into an Au Ra.

The problem isn't really that we have to find excuses for the Xaela to travel to Eorzea. The problem is that we are forced and limited to take that single route in every single Au Ra story, which leaves their original culture out of the possibilities we can explore. It's definitely not the best kind of lore for us RPers ;

Well to be fair there isn't a ton of Lalafell lore either aside from homes on giant tortoises but people still effectively play them. Just be patient and give them time. Players will adjust and I am sure it will be fine. I agree there could have been more but as they say....make lemonade with the lemons you've been given. :)

Agreed. A majority of the lore we have now about the current races came from what we've learned through quests and NPCs, not those initial racial blurbs. We'll learn more with time and adapt accordingly, be it with facts or with creativity. c:

Is it convenient for us? No. But I wouldn't be totally discouraged just yet.