Heavensward Jobs, and Au Ra Lore now available

Will they have their own quests? So far I thought they'd share the same main story as everyone else, since you can Fantasia your main character into an Au Ra.

The problem isn't really that we have to find excuses for the Xaela to travel to Eorzea. The problem is that we are forced and limited to take that single route in every single Au Ra story, which leaves their original culture out of the possibilities we can explore. It's definitely not the best kind of lore for us RPers ;

Don't look at it it as being hung out to dry, look at it as being given a blank slate. Nomads. Did they venture off alone? Come from part of a collective? Are they part of a crew designed to go out and see the world before returning "home?" Are they looking for home? Maybe they heard stories of the last bastion of freedom in the world resisting Garlemald and wanted to go see what that looks like. Maybe they want to walk the ends of the earth and see everything for themselves.

...It just seems strange that, given the option between the aimless wanderers or the established settlers, people would pick the wanderer and then be upset they're not given a reason to wander.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a super big fan of all the lore revealed so far. I definitely have my class and clan decided now!

Also, I think it'd be neat if some Au Ra RPers assigned themselves to various Xaela tribes and would have additional conflicts in Eorzea. ... Maybe I just want to see random street brawls erupt.

I'm a super big fan of all the lore revealed so far. I definitely have my class and clan decided now!

Also, I think it'd be neat if some Au Ra RPers assigned themselves to various Xaela tribes and would have additional conflicts in Eorzea. ... Maybe I just want to see random street brawls erupt.

I know a place where that can happen, without fear of death or reprisal.

So using Batman to announce Dark Knight wasn't just a one-time reference...

And to be honest I like this chivalrous take on Dark Knights. Dark Knights aren't just emo edgelords: they are knights.

This is exactly what I'd been planning to do with my Au Ra Dark Knight so it fits right in line with what I wanted. :D I'm VERY happy right now with both the Xaela lore and this. Just need the naming convention and I will be good to go.

EDIT: Funny enough, now I feel like we definitely have a reason to put together some sort of group/LS for all these incoming knights. Hmmmm.

While that sounds interesting and I'd LOVE to see people engaging in tribal-related lore unlike they did with the miqo'te... I have to say that I am a little more concerned with aesthetics first and foremost. I know skin tones are very lenient in a sense in FF, but I'll have to see. I still don't know what I want and I know that I won't until that damn benchmarksgetsreleasedwhereismybenchmarkwhere?

I know a place where that can happen, without fear of death or reprisal.

Nice plug.....

for the Grindstone! <---------10pm east coast time. ;)

...It just seems strange that, given the option between the aimless wanderers or the established settlers, people would pick the wanderer and then be upset they're not given a reason to wander.

Yeah, I was wondering this, too. I figured people would be happy that they weren't locked down to a specific reason for their character to travel. When we're given clearly defined mannerisms or traditions of a race, a lot of people can't wait to bend or break the heck out of the ones they don't prefer. But when given a lot of wiggle room to work with, it's not enough all of a sudden...?

Quests/NPCs in 3.0 will likely expand upon the influx of traveling Au Ra. For the Xaela, my very lazy guess is that Garleans possibly have already begun to encroach on that "vast western steppe" they were roaming in.

Ah, they don't sound like mere aimless wanderers to me, as they are engaged in tribal wars. If I made such an Au Ra and she came to Eorzea, I'd have neither a tribe nor a war; that's my concern. We're just unable to explore that part of the lore, as we're stuck with leaving our land to discover a new one (the reasons might vary, but the result is the same). Considering I'll play two Au Ras, I wish I could have given them more variety.

Edit: I'm speaking for myself, not for anyone else. I'm not one who tends to bend the lore or break out of it. Remember I'm one of the very few people who plays a tribal miqo'te, because I personally love exploring the original lore. I will naturally adapt to this new one, but I wanted to express my small disappointment.

Ah, they don't sound like mere aimless wanderers to me, as they are engaged in tribal wars. If I made such an Au Ra and came to Eorzea, I'd have neither a tribe nor a war; that's my concern. We're just unable to explore that part of the lore, as we're stuck with leaving our land to discover a new one (the reasons might vary, but the result is the same). Considering I'll play two Au Ras, I wish I could have given them more variety.

To be fair, if your character did have a tribe and a war, you wouldn't be in Eorzea. I was under the assumption that those Au Ra who do show up from that tribeclanfaction are the ones specifically not engaging in battle or warfare.

Otherwise... you'd be there, not here. Kind of makes RP impossible.

If I made such an Au Ra and came to Eorzea, I'd have neither a tribe nor a war; that's my concern.

To be fair, if your character did have a tribe and a war, you wouldn't be in Eorzea.

Warren, you're a total sausage.

To be fair, if your character did have a tribe and a war, you wouldn't be in Eorzea. I was under the assumption that those Au Ra who do show up from that tribeclanfaction are the ones specifically not engaging in battle or warfare.

That's correct, and that's exactly the problem, being forced to play a single kind of Au Ra. My initial hope was that some Au Ras could be living in the new lands beyond Ishgard, while others like Yugiri came from elsewhere. That way, there'd have been more possibilities RP-wise and we could have our war, haha.

In any case, I'll see what I can come up with for my two Au Ras.

If I made such an Au Ra and came to Eorzea, I'd have neither a tribe nor a war; that's my concern.

To be fair, if your character did have a tribe and a war, you wouldn't be in Eorzea.

Warren, you're a total sausage.

I don't know what that mean.

So is DRK a tanking class or melee dps?

please be dps

Tank. They protect the people from those who would exploit them. Sounds very familiar.

That's correct, but my initial hope was that some Au Ras could be living in the new lands beyond Ishgard, while others like Yugiri came from elsewhere. That way, there'd have been more possibilities RP-wise and we could have our war, haha.

In any case, I'll see what I can come up with for my two Au Ras.

They're nomads. Why not be from those lands? There's literally nothing stopping you going "Yep, ages ago this faction splintered off, and I'm from those people."

I might be a minority here but I don't know that I actually like the DRK lore. As a concept, I think it's pretty cool... but for Dark Knight? Not so much, there is not really anything "dark" about it and it honestly sounds more like Paladin than Paladin does. How do they explain DRK using dark magic if they are supposed to be a job that is dedicated to defending the weak? It just seems a bit strange to me.

Edit: That being said, I am incredibly excited for the lore on the Au Ra, now I just have to decide which I want to be. I wanted to give him black scales, but the lore for Raen suits him way more. D: Also I like how they kinda made a jab at everyone who thought they would be related to Shiva and a Dragon.

I had the same impression as I was reading it. Very gallant and chivalrous for a Dark Knight.

I mean comparing it to FFXI's version where you had to quench the thirst of your blade with the blood of one hundred foes.... This seems very just and righteous for a Dark Knight, but we'll have to see. They made very little mention of what form the Darkness takes or what its purpose is to these knights... I hope that's where we'll find their more dark flavor.

I was expecting it, given the route they took with thief rogue. The narrative in FFXIV seems to want to make it absolutely clear YOU/the PCs are good guys. At least outside of RP.

First and foremost, I'm really happy with what we know about Dark Knight. Paladin/Knight has been my schtick since I was a little geek kid discovering the world of Fantasy and RP. XIV's Paladin was super disappointing to me. Its great if you like/don't mind Ul'dah and certain aspects, but its so specific. I'm still enamored by the "do universal good for the world" sorta Paladin. (But yes, I could have gone more of the "Free Paladin" route, but I just didn't feel like it had enough oomph).

So I'm totally hopping on the band wagon and playing Dark Knight. Depending on how much mitigation I can drain from it, I might use it as my raid class, or if not just keep playing Paladin (hallelujah second combo coming!) and be a giant overcompensation sword wielding entity ICly.

Question about the Au Ra though. With the little morsel we know now, it seems like Au Ra could have easily been in Eorzea in small numbers for some time now, right? I don't plan on making one, but I know there's been a lot of debate whether they could be in a timeline pre-Heavensward. I guess to me this says that people wanting to re-work some characters without losing some of their precious memories/interactions with family and friends can pull something off. But is that how most people will see it, or will there still be people arguing with each other over character origins?

They're nomads. Why not be from those lands? There's literally nothing stopping you going "Yep, ages ago this faction splintered off, and I'm from those people."

That's actually a possibility I'm considering, but I'm wary of bending the lore too much. I'll wait a bit and see, but yes, that possibility is definitely interesting to me.

Clover said her problem was that, were she to create an Au Ra from that clan, then she'd have to write it off as though her tribe were not involved in any sort of war - if she were even still part of one.

Your response was basically citing this exact same problem as a reason why the lore won't work. It sounded like you were refuting her point by somehow using her own point when ultimately that only meant that you were both of the same understanding!

Hence, you are a silly sausage.

But is that how most people will see it, or will there still be people arguing with each other over character origins?

I think there'll always be people arguing over character origins one way or another. I believe we have a bit of wiggle room in regard to saying some characters may have been in Eorzea already in hiding. We've seen it done in the MSQ and while no one wants to be 'that character' it's a possibility that's definitely there IMO.

Also am I the only one who gets a sort of...potential Asmodian/Elyos kind of rivalry feel from the two Au Ra groups?

Clover said her problem was that, were she to create an Au Ra from that clan, then she'd have to write it off as though her tribe were not involved in any sort of war - if she were even still part of one.

Your response was basically citing this exact same problem as a reason why the lore won't work. It sounded like you were refuting her point by somehow using her own point when ultimately that only meant that you were both of the same understanding!

Well, yes, but Nunhs. If you're going to play one, you should have a good reason why you're not doing the lore-expected thing you should be doing. Those Au Ra are warlike and fight their tribal battles. If you want to do that, you won't be in Eorzea. So don't roll that character...? I see your point, but this is definitely PEBKAC.

Well, yes, but Nunhs. If you're going to play one, you should have a good reason why you're not doing the lore-expected thing you should be doing. Those Au Ra are warlike and fight their tribal battles. If you want to do that, you won't be in Eorzea. So don't roll that character...? I see your point, but this is definitely PEBKAC.

Idunno, I think it'd be kind of another nice aspect to bring those same tribal battles with you to Eorzea. In that aspect, the Au Ra aren't too different/far removed from some of the current races who have only been at peace with each other for a (relatively) short time.

Idunno, I think it'd be kind of another nice aspect to bring those same tribal battles with you to Eorzea. In that aspect, the Au Ra aren't too different/far removed from some of the current races who have only been at peace with each other for a (relatively) short time.

Would certainly work, but that's effectively making FC vs FC kind of stuff and isn't something you can do solo.