Heavensward Jobs, and Au Ra Lore now available

Though their presence in Eorzea is lesser than that of the other races, the Miqo'te are easily distinguished by their large, projecting ears and restless, feline tails.

10-19-12Luzer3.jpg

*stops rowing his little boat through a sea of kittypeoples*

... wut?

I can't throw stones, Warren's house is already 2:1 catpeople to noncats.

And it's wonderful.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna die from blood with all these lacerations I have from reading the lore.

That's a good thing, mind you.

For appearances, I was going to go with the dark skinned Au Ra. Amusingly enough, I've also been working on the Warmonger title. In a lot of ways, I'm pretty happy with everything about the race, I've been fond of tribal stuff and find that it doesn't always show up where I want it to. Here it's quite welcome though!

Hmm, there's going to be a lot of lamestorming on my end about them. Expect a lot of questions from me, as ever!

Speaking of cuts, DRK isn't as brooding as people wanted it to be! I'm quite glad for this in fact. I thought it was going to be like this, and for the better. AST seems perfect for the pale scales, I hope to see a lot of RP with it, since I'm a fan of stuff like that. Fortune tellers are important to every circus, even if the real thing is a scam.

Then comes the MCH.

BANG BANG, FEUER FREI

I like it! It makes sense to me and I hope people embrace it.

Of course people will now add this to the list of things they argue about, but it'll be entertaining to the rest of us, if nothing else.

So, question about Yugiri now. Obviously she's a pale scale. But do we know if she's native to Doma? Maybe I misunderstand but maybe she wasn't always? It's WILD SPECULATION or I'm just flat out wrong. Going to have to read some more.

Um, I can't say I'm fond of the Au Ra lore. I was hoping that (at least some) Au Ras could come from the new lands beyond Ishgard, for those are the ones we'll explore. Instead, we get a lore related to a land we aren't going to see anytime soon, which means we can't really and actively play their lore, especially in the case of Xaela.

(& All of your posts)

I have the same concerns :( I hoped some of the Au Ra lore would stretch around the new areas and we'd see it in action, but instead it feels like they've given us a background which could be ignored any way. Fingers crossed that isn't the case. As mentioned it doesn't have to hold any one back from RPing it - players will just have to take initiative in making it happen - but ideally we see it in game as well.

I think my Au Ra plans should still fit, with a good reason for travelling. Hopefully it'll still be okay and not make anyone roll their eyes when they see yet another Au Ra wandering up the street. :blush:

It's not about origin, it's about it being made extra difficult to have a creative story as to what you are doing here and why. It's not about my own characters or Clover's for what matter(whose is the initial point I was trying to explain), but rather explaining away this sudden influx if Auri appearing all of a sudden because "something happened and we needed to travel!", "I hail from the XXXX tribe and to determine the worth of these lands" or even "I just felt like exploring".

For me personally, while I'd love to incorporate as much of the lore as possible into my story, I'll have to see how that will work with the original concept I had. I'm not really worried for myself. I was just wondering what's going to stop any of my characters from asking themselves why a ton of people from a particularly isolated race suddenly got struck with a potent wanderlust.

That depends entirely if a person states that they're just suddenly arriving to Eorzea.

But there are a few things that may attract them.

First, Doma is gone, Garleans are a larger threat in the west with the underground suppressed by the destruction of an entire nation. Encroachment into tribal territory could be one reason a larger group of them can come in.

But again, that's assuming that everyone floods in at the same time.

Also those who are more Nomatic may be drawn to Ishgard opening their gates to Adventurers, wider breath of field means more work available.

With the paths to the north and the west opening, the possibility of reaching the former Sharlean lands can draw out the Scholars from the Raen, seeking perhaps information about their linage that may have been lost to their own line.

And not everyone is going to agree on arrival dates. It behooves roleplayers to not make a sudden reaction to the OOC arrival of the Au Ra as a thing, so much as make a comment of "I've heard they were about, this is the first I've seen of them."

There does not need to be a universal reason for the influx. There are plenty of reasons to bring in new cultures into a prosperous land. It's the "it's all happening at once" that everyone seems to be sticking on, which can just be ignored as that's OOC causing IC conflict. There's been plenty of IC time since the arrival of the Domans for the Au Ra to start filtering in.

I think my Au Ra plans should still fit, with a good reason for travelling. Hopefully it'll still be okay and not make anyone roll their eyes when they see yet another Au Ra wandering up the street. :blush:

I daresay that's going to be the issue that all Au Ra are going to run into.

Au Ra are going to be the new Miqo'te, complete with all the threads/people complaining about there being too many of them. Count on it.

Yeah, I fully expect people to sigh upon my characters appearance. It's going to be that way for a long time. I've stated before that I've been quite fortunate with the people I interact with and have very little issues with. ICly however might fare a bit differently.

That bleed thing comes to mind again. So long as people aren't just in RP for themselves there should be no problems. It is kind of funny to think I'll 'have to earn the trust' of some tho.

If I didn't have something in mind already, I would have definitely rolled a pale scale fortune teller. I know it's typical, but I oh so love the travelers life in RP. If anyone does something like this, let me know! I'd love to RP with you.

It's not about origin, it's about it being made extra difficult to have a creative story as to what you are doing here and why. It's not about my own characters or Clover's for what matter(whose is the initial point I was trying to explain), but rather explaining away this sudden influx if Auri appearing all of a sudden because "something happened and we needed to travel!", "I hail from the XXXX tribe and to determine the worth of these lands" or even "I just felt like exploring".

For me personally, while I'd love to incorporate as much of the lore as possible into my story, I'll have to see how that will work with the original concept I had. I'm not really worried for myself. I was just wondering what's going to stop any of my characters from asking themselves why a ton of people from a particularly isolated race suddenly got struck with a potent wanderlust.

Imagine if 80-90% of every miqo'te in-game had in their backstory that they were tribal but then "left"... wouldn't that start feeling a little bland after a while? That's kind of the point I think.

I recall us dealing with exactly that as Miqo'te. You'll be fine.

Hahaha. I never had to deal with that so I underestimated how commonplace it was I guess. Perhaps it's my turn now!

Though their presence in Eorzea is lesser than that of the other races, the Miqo'te are easily distinguished by their large, projecting ears and restless, feline tails.

Yes yes, we all know only terrible Gary Stu RPers play Miqo'te.

Oh no, how dare people roll as a new race that was added specifically for us to love and play.

but rather explaining away this sudden influx if Auri appearing all of a sudden because "something happened and we needed to travel!", "I hail from the XXXX tribe and to determine the worth of these lands" or even "I just felt like exploring".

I predict a large boat of them arriving in Eorzea sometime this June!!! :-)

*shields eyes in fear*

Oh no, how dare people roll as a new race that was added specifically for us to love and play.

Didn't you know? The only good RP is low power, gritty, and Non Miqo'te. Or AuRa. Only wannabe special snowflakes play those.

You're double bad if you play a Raen. Thier names being Doman makes you a disgusting weeaboo too.

Edit: Just to be absolutely clear, this is sarcasm.

Can we quit with the descent into childish sniping, please?

This thread is for talking about the revealed lore for the new jobs and race and what it means to the game from both a normal play and RP standpoint, let's just stick to that.

There's going to be Au Ra. Several, because it's a new race. Some people are making them just because they're the flavor of the week. Some because they like dragonfolk. Some have character ideas they've been waiting for Heavensward to bring to the table.

There's also going to be a bunch of the new classes as everyone tries it out, some because it's there and others having been waiting eagerly for them to be added. Some will stick with them, some will return to their old mainstays if the new ones don't grab them. Some will just have them solely for RP purposes.

None of these are wrong ways to do things. Same as it isn't wrong to play a Miqo'te. Or a Dragoon. Or even a Miqo'te Dragoon. Everyone has their own way to approach the game, and they are entitled to it as long as it doesn't impinge on the way others are trying to enjoy their game.

The thing is that all Au Ra RPers are forced to make their characters leave their land or not be RPed at all. I just wish there were more possibilities than that single one, that's all.

As for the Xaela lore, I guess I was disappointed because (to me) it was like seeing a nice cake and being told I couldn't try it, haha. I read the post like "do you see these awesome tribal wars in unknown lands full of history? Sorry, you're going to miss them all because you're forced into the single RP route of emigration!"

In any case, emigrating is also fun. But since I want to play two different Au Ras (one from each clan), I'll still pay attention to any new lore info, just in case any Au Ra NPC is spotted living in the new 3.0 lands. That'd be really awesome, as I'd also love to experience the new lands from a native's perspective >A<

I'm only slightly exaggerating. Some of my acquaintances gave me a lot of crap for coming back to FFXIV specifically for Au Ra (and astrologians.) I played a Miqo'te before and even now we've had people saying some very harsh things about the Au Ra females that have implications for anyone who want to play them. I know it can come off as childish sniping but it's a long-time frustration over my entire MMO participation. If you're playing a 'cute' or 'pretty' race, there's always a significant portion of the roleplayer population that's rather dismissive or condescending toward you.

There's plenty of it in this very forum. But I really don't want to be combative. I suppose I'm just a little bitter. I do apologize. 

Let's be real, the people that aren't going to RP with each other aren't doing it because of something like this. It's a collection of other things.

I've said it dozens of times now, people aren't that bad here. Many people I thought would flat out ignore me didn't. The road goes both ways and I'm not really picking sides eitherway.

So who's going to start the first DRK ls? Or do we think they operate alone? I expect MCH to stick together to some degree.

The thing is that all Au Ras are forced to leave their land or not be RPed at all. I just wish there were more possibilities than that single one, that's all.

As for the Xaela lore, I guess I was disappointed because (to me) it was like seeing a nice cake and being told I couldn't try it, haha. I read the post like "do you see these awesome tribal wars in unknown lands full of history? Sorry, you're going to miss them all because you're forced into the single RP route of emigration!"

In any case, emigrating is also fun. But since I want to play two different Au Ras (one from each clan), I'll still pay attention to any new lore info, just in case any Au Ra NPC is spotted living in the new 3.0 lands. That'd be really awesome, as I'd also love to experience the new lands from a native's perspective >A

How were they "forced"? Couldn't they have simply decided to leave. Nomadic. They travel. There's no lore to break or bend or twist here.

I'm only slightly exaggerating. Some of my acquaintances gave me a lot of crap for coming back to FFXIV specifically for Au Ra (and astrologians.) I played a Miqo'te before and even now we've had people saying some very harsh things about the Au Ra females that have implications for anyone who want to play them. I know it can come off as childish sniping but it's a long-time frustration over my entire MMO participation. If you're playing a 'cute' or 'pretty' race, there's always a significant portion of the roleplayer population that's rather dismissive or condescending toward you.

There's plenty of it in this very forum. But I really don't want to be combative. I suppose I'm just a little bitter. I do apologize. 

I feel you. Fuck those people.

Some of my acquaintances gave me a lot of crap for coming back to FFXIV specifically for Au Ra (and astrologians.) I played a Miqo'te before and even now we've had people saying some very harsh things about the Au Ra females that have implications for anyone who want to play them.

See, now that's just not cool. Your reasons for wanting to play the game are your own, and it ain't right for folks to give you crap for it (unless you're, like, actively trolling/hindering other players... which you're not). If you want to play an Au Ra, play that Au Ra. Don't worry about what folks are saying about people those that do it. You'll probably not want to play with them even if you weren't running an Au Ra.

How were they "forced"? Couldn't they have simply decided to leave. Nomadic. They travel. There's no lore to break or bend or twist here.

Sorry, I mean as a player. I am forced to make my Au Ra leave for whatever reason. The reason itself isn't important.

... anyone else tempted to post "I'm on a Boat!" You Tube video for laughs?

Anyways, as far as the RP implications, it does not do anyone good to over-think it. People will often come up with their own reasoning, and some of them will end up being similar.

This is not a bad thing. A common back-story does not make for a common character. And common characters in and of themselves aren't bad if they're interesting, and they will be interesting or not based solely on the execution of the players involved.

There can be Au Ra, for example, who tried to eek out a living in Dravanian Lands - and are therefore not forced to leave 'their land'. 

The great thing about an expansion is that there's more landscape to work from.

S'cool. I'm used to being the point of contention, so I respond under assumption most of the time. Sometimes that backfires.

It's not really anyone's fault, though. As has been referenced, the name of the game with Auri is going to be "immigration." We know there's a lot of people wanting to play the new race, and it's going to be kind of daunting for, say, the Quicksand to go from Original Five Races to suddenly (hypothetically) 40% Auri the next night. It's not that I don't expect people to have good backstories, but it's still going to be a bit tiring to be introduced to yet another unique-but-similar concept. It's pre-judgmental, but it happened a lot with the lore-stated-player-contested miqo'te population. Do a shot every time someone is 1) the last of their tribe or 2) a Nunh. Congratulations, you are now dead.

I say this as someone RPing intimately with people using that EXACT CONCEPT, and as someone married to one of those dastardly miqo'te dragoons. It's not a conventional set-up, and the story works for me, so... Isn't that the important part?

I've said it in another person's thread asking for help getting a foot in the community. Perfectly nice roleplayer, very kind and very enthused. The challenge was that they were yet one more quiet but shy miqo'te male hanging out in a populated place. That, sadly, isn't enough to warrant recognition. So you need to stand out. And this is complicated by the fact that we're about to have an influx of same-race-different-background folks that will all have to stand out from one another at the same exact time. I don't envy anyone changing on the first day.

If anyone wants to be mad about it, you've got your choice of targets: Everyone else playing the same race, everyone not accepting them, yourself for buying the hype, and SE for railroading the background.

Sorry, I mean as a player. I am forced to make my Au Ra leave for whatever reason. The reason itself isn't important.

Nomad works for my purposes but it'd be very neat if we could play Au Ra as natives in a world we're currently exploring like Dravania.

But isn't that the whole point of being an adventurer? Without leaving, the character would not exist within the playable portions of the game. I would think the reason for leaving would be a big part of the backstory or ongoing development of the character.

Why did they leave? Was it because of something? Was it for someone? Did they just want to venture out? Maybe something happened to their home? Etc.

I can't wrap my head around being conflicted that an adventurer adventures.

Nomad works for my purposes but it'd be very neat if we could play Au Ra as natives in a world we're currently exploring like Dravania.

Maybe there are? They're nomads, after all. It's not impossible to imagine they might have travelled over and just never left.

But also, Domans were mentioned before Ishgard mentioned its dragon problem being so bad it wanted help. I'd like to think that we would have gotten more hints about Au Ra in Dravania if they were native. ...we do get two new beast tribes though!

Everyone should keep in mind that this is just an inkling of things to come. For all we know, there's a couple Xaela tribes that have been hanging about Abalanthia's Spine fighting Warriors and the other Xaela clans for cycles now, but were mostly ignored because it's happening "way over there." Maybe some of them HAVE migrated to the floating islands of Heavensward, fighting over a hunk of floating rock to claim it as their own.

We don't have any lore yet dictating why there can't already be a couple tribes in Eorzea that are just in some out-of-the-way area people haven't been to yet.

I like to think that it's all just to help refining some ideas or perhaps inspire new ones to play with as the release date draws closer. Don't give up on your concepts just yet, or feel like you have to pigeonhole yourself into one background due to a few offered tidbits - there's probably still going to be a way to make it work! ... Even if it's a half-Magitek Xaela made by Garleans to deal with the Au Ra tribes that escaped the razing.