Heavensward Jobs, and Au Ra Lore now available

Sorry, I mean as a player. I am forced to make my Au Ra leave for whatever reason. The reason itself isn't important.

But isn't that the whole point of being an adventurer? Without leaving, the character would not exist within the playable portions of the game. I would think the reason for leaving would be a big part of the backstory or ongoing development of the character.

Why did they leave? Was it because of something? Was it for someone? Did they just want to venture out? Maybe something happened to their home? Etc.

I can't wrap my head around being conflicted that an adventurer adventures.

Being an adventurer is a personal choice, not the only choice. My other characters aren't adventurers, they were born in Eorzea and they have their home there. Having choices is always a good thing, I think.

By saying that everyone must be an adventurer, you're removing any other possibility @x@;

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wrap my head around being conflicted that an adventurer adventures.

This part I actually follow.

Right now, you could play seemingly anyone from anywhere: We've got outland adventurers sharing with Ishgardian-raised elezen next to displaced Ala Mhigans next to Ul'dahn natives next to Shoud-dwelling forest folks.

Auri only have the first option. They're new, so they aren't established in Eorzea. Their homeland is "elsewhere" so they all have to move to Eorzea. They can't be natives like everyone else can be.

...that said, I'm not sure how anyone else expected anything but. For all we know, we WILL find Auri settlements in Dravania and all of this will be for nothing.

and it's going to be kind of daunting for, say, the Quicksand to go from Original Five Races to suddenly (hypothetically) 40% Auri the next night. It's not that I don't expect people to have good backstories, but it's still going to be a bit tiring to be introduced to yet another unique-but-similar concept. It's pre-judgmental, but it happened a lot with....

B.....Wha.....th-this is exactly what I was trying to explain was my view earlier!!!!

So the Raen.... as per lore only rarely leave their valley.... so what like a million wandering around the first day? And here I thought everyone was death-gripped on the lore.

I guess we'll see if people follow the lore on this one or if it'll be like everything else where they are selective with the lore. Hard on others, but lax with themselves.

So the Raen.... as per lore only rarely leave their valley.... so what like a million wandering around the first day? And here I thought everyone was death-gripped on the lore.

I guess we'll see if people follow the lore on this one or if it'll be like everything else where they are selective with the lore. Hard on others, but lax with themselves.

Well to be fair, we know that Raen also associate closely with the Domans and... uh, they're not doing so hot right now. 

Well to be fair, we know that Raen also associate closely with the Domans and... uh, they're not doing so hot right now. 

They're doing plenty hot. You could say Doma's really on fire right now.

I don't think the Au Ra will explode to Miqo'te proportions, though there will likely be an initial surge.

These don't have to be explained ICly. They're going to be players that are going to want some OOC time to settle their characters in and figure out their angle anyways. Those that do RP them, well, an Adventurer Guild is going to attract a lot of people.

As far as the Raen, as I said before, we have no idea what 'rare' means for their race.

There is a lot of high tension for something that, inside a year, will become little more than a footnote in RP.

Yugiri had to leave Doma though. I assumed she wasn't the only Au Ra (Raen) who did.

The only thing I would caution about someone wanting to play 'native' Au Ra is that it may come back around to bite you in the ass. The text is quite clear that as it says, "the Xaela are free spirits who roam the *vast western steppe*" Not, they're nomads that travel all over the world, but rather specifies a specific place.

I'm not telling anyone they can't rp a Xaela tribe that moved to Eorzea in ancient times past, but I'm warning you that it's highly unlikely that the lore will ever support you in that.

All in all though, whatever story you're using for your Au Ra, make it well thought out! Even if your story is similar to someone else, as long as you carefully crafted it yourself, why does it matter? Distinct =/= best. That's like me saying that my existence in real life is boring because I'm a white male from the United States. Sure, there are a lot of people like me, with similar backgrounds to me, but that doesn't make my story any less unique. :)

They're doing plenty hot. You could say Doma's really on fire right now.

I can't tell if I'm mad you said it or if I'm laughing so hard it's turning into rage

Question about the Au Ra though. With the little morsel we know now, it seems like Au Ra could have easily been in Eorzea in small numbers for some time now, right? I don't plan on making one, but I know there's been a lot of debate whether they could be in a timeline pre-Heavensward. I guess to me this says that people wanting to re-work some characters without losing some of their precious memories/interactions with family and friends can pull something off. But is that how most people will see it, or will there still be people arguing with each other over character origins?

I think some Au Ra presence of either clan since 2.Leviathan can be fairly legitimate. Earlier than that, creative usage of "they left Othard/Doma at some earlier point during the war" would work. Following Yugiri's example of keeping completely covered is probably the best way to keep the appearance issue from being a problem if they'd been here for a while -- either they dressed similarly, used glamours, or just stayed hidden/in the home/away from 'outsiders'.

Between the scholarly evidence and their own creation myth that suggests Au Ra are likely not dragonspawn and that they are Othard natives, I am -extremely- pleased with this lore. I had worried that Yugiri was going to turn out to be some lore fluke and be the only Au Ra Doman/Easterner. And I really, -really- didn't want dragonspawn. 

Dark Knight... well, I'll preface this by saying the only other FF game I've played is XI. Dark Knight there wasn't a 'fallen Paladin' or 'evil knight' -- it was originally a Galkan tradition that 'fed' off their Chain of Rage. If the rage got the better of them (even for non-Galkas), they could go insane or die and come back as an evil spirit that inhabits their weapons and possess kobolds to carry them around. 

All that being said, I like this vigilante-fight-for-the-little-people take. I probably still won't play it -- I lack the proper mentality to be a tank.

Astrologian makes more sense to me now that it's Sharlayan tradition. I was having a hard time braining through "look through telescopes and write in logs" suddenly becoming "Heals!". Will probably only level it if it's required for some achievement.

Machinist... probably not my cup of tea to play. Totally waiting for gunfights at High Noon, though.

I guess my point is we have a solid point of lore. That said there are many here who seem set on attacking people on their lore adherence at every turn. I am just curious to see how many of these "lore enforcers" will break their own rules for the shiny new thing.

As personal, I don't care what you play, its your sub. I'm just curious to see how hypocritical people can be for my own amusement.

The lore around the Dark Knight could not suit Steel's purposes more unless it said "Only Roegadyn females with black and purple hair are eligible". It not only meshes with her sense of purpose, but it lines up with her view of the Ishgardian knights overall.

So. Super. Happy.

... Well, Judge is male. If you dig senior citizens. :lol:

I'm just eager for the benchmark or whatever will let us at least figure out how we could design our Au Ra. I'm hoping I can manage to make Judge the old dragon grandpa he is meant to be. I'm doing okay with Grandpa Highlander... even with a distinct lack of sweater-vests.

Their power in IV was assuredly evil and corrupting.

... The power is dangerous and its mishandling can result in bad things happen to the user, yes. That does not make its users evil. Evil use is done by people who are themselves evil.

What I'm saying is Darkness is guns.