Heavensward Jobs, and Au Ra Lore now available

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an Au Ra Dark Knight doesn't seem like it'll make too much sense.

I get the feeling there will be Au Ras in Ishgard or at least in Coerthas. It would be silly to have a new race but have almost no NPCs of that race. I don't know, maybe they escaped from Othard when it was conquered and went directly to Ishgard/Coerthas instead of the rest of Eorzea.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an Au Ra Dark Knight doesn't seem like it'll make too much sense.

Lore-wise, it seems that way. And yet they've been using Au Ra models for both Dark Knight and Astrologian, which gave me the initial impression that a considerable amount of Au Ras could either be related to Ishgard or to the lands beyond it. Now that the lore has been released, we see it might not be the case. And I had been planning to make an Astrologian Au Ra myself *sweatdrops*.

Still, I don't see classes as something we have to RP literally. My Tia uses spears, which doesn't mean that he's a Dragoon. I doubt he's even seen a Dragoon before. Likewise, I guess my Au Ra will use cards to predict fate, which doesn't mean she's an Astrologian from Ishgard. Most FFXIV jobs involve the idea that only a single or very few chosen ones can represent them, after all; we have to find ways around their lore or we'd be unable to play at all.

Maybe. But the small bit of lore that we do have seems to elude to multiple DRK, Astrologian, and machinists. It's not so much like white mage where there is definitive one person. However we still have a very small bit of info and we won't know entirely till release so right now I'm going to agree with Mongi's view until we really do know. All of it is speculation currently.

My Au Ra decided to immigrate with her brothers because she heard about the Golden Saucer and now wants to be a FAMOUS PRIZE FIGHTER there. She's gonna be so disappointed it doesn't have prize fighting. Her brother is coming down for FC reasons, and her other brother is pretty much being forced because he's a trouble maker who the older brother needs to watch.

It's the silliest reason for deciding to go with her brothers but it fits her doofiness so well and I'm sticking with it.

My Au Ra decided to immigrate with her brothers because she heard about the Golden Saucer and now wants to be a FAMOUS PRIZE FIGHTER there. She's gonna be so disappointed it doesn't have prize fighting. Her brother is coming down for FC reasons, and her other brother is pretty much being forced because he's a trouble maker who the older brother needs to watch.

It's the silliest reason for deciding to go with her brothers but it fits her doofiness so well and I'm sticking with it.

The Turks can surely help with that~

Hard to say with the current amount of lore we have. There might be reveals later on or in the quests themselves that confirm it either way. The Dark Knights may very well recruit more people - any likeminded people - for their cause in the hopes of spreading their sentiment further throughout Ishgard or even outside of it.

But you don't have to sport the title to use a fighting technique very similar; it's essentially just a certain use of magic + greatswords + armor. Anyone can do that with enough training!

Sometimes, I think roleplayers are a little to self entitled and I think some of the impartiality toward the Au Ra lore is a little ridiculous. So what SE didn't hand the lore on a silver platter to make it easier to RP. They are a business and it is their world, we just pay to play in it. Use your imaginations (and common sense) for the gaps. Does it suck that Xeala are portrayed at sticking it out with their tribe and technically should stay with them? Yep, I'll agree but it's been pointed out that every Catboy, Elf (with amnesia), and Potato can and should have their own agenda. 

My Xeala will be popping up in Eorzea especially Ul'dah for his own reasons and totally expect to to be looked down upon for jumping on the Auri bandwagon.  I just hope for those that play an Au Ra are given their fair chance to RP with anyone rather than dismissed.

Hard to say with the current amount of lore we have. There might be reveals later on or in the quests themselves that confirm it either way. The Dark Knights may very well recruit more people - any likeminded people - for their cause in the hopes of spreading their sentiment further throughout Ishgard or even outside of it.

But you don't have to sport the title to use a fighting technique very similar; it's essentially just a certain use of magic + greatswords + armor. Anyone can do that with enough training!

Bolded this so I could speak on it with you.

I'm thinking this to be the case as well. I was racking my brain about it all night, trying to figure this out. Like Seriphyn mentioned, it seems very out of place to have an Au Ra doesn't it? Yet we have singular auri like Yugiri in Doma and then this character in the promotional cutscenes. She still seems somewhat out of place to me, but I'm slowly starting to see where it fits into place.

Going to say since the WoL is an outsider, it shouldn't be any different than them as it would be to us as PCs. I'd also venture to say the ideal of DRK is going to be far more important than the origin of it. Everyone everywhere is going to need help, not just within Ishgard. MCH knowledge would well extend past just fighting the Horde in that regard as well.

Technically speaking, the Raen are the ones portrayed as recluses and the Xaela are the nomadic travelers. People seem to be laboring under the misapprehension that it's the other way around just because Yugiri, a Raen, led the Domans to Eorzea.

Technically speaking, the Raen are the ones portrayed as recluses and the Xaela are the nomadic travelers. People seem to be laboring under the misapprehension that it's the other way around just because Yugiri, a Raen, led the Domans to Eorzea.

Probably because of this quote from the Live Letter info:

"Au Ra Raen have been closely related to the Domans for long time, so their names are somewhat Japanese-like."

Which technically means they're not reclusive from everyone, they just stick to their general area. Which gives any Raen players a very easy way to come to Eorzea, given the refugees.

Regarding which clan will be "more difficult" to roleplay as according to conventions of lore:

Comparatively few in number, they maintain an insular group mentality within their clans, tending to avoid contact with the other races. Many individuals lead isolated lifestyles, even when living in the more populous cities.

I think the lore is pretty cut and dry.

People should definitely not be roleplaying ANY Miqo'te.

(Source: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Miqo%27te#Demeanor)

... Honestly, I just have to say, I don't think it'd be any more difficult to play a Raen Au Ra than it would be to play a Duskwight. And considering that a Duskwight is my main, I suppose I mean that with thought put into a reason, it doesn't need to be very difficult (and could in fact be pretty fun) to come up with something that works for RP and what you'd like for a character.

The obvious reasons for them being about right now could center around what happened to Doma (and possibly / likely other places too). The less obvious is everything we don't yet know about all the areas the Raen might reside in, and what is actually going on in them presently. Maybe they're having trouble for any number of reasons and seeking outside aid, maybe they're doing exceptionally well so it seems like a good and stable time to step away from this provential life the mundane and go into the world. Maybe they are looking to start trade with neighboring places who are doing better / help those not doing so good, and one thing leads to another. Maybe they met a Xaela, were ~swept off their feet~ and ran away with them, only to get separated from them in some mess and be looking for them again, lost in the world. We'd need to wait for that to see what's going on. But the mid-ground is any reason someone might decide to leave a more settled life, which already accounts for countless options. Nevermind character personality is a thing; I can't imagine that every single person who'd lived a relatively homey lifestyle never wanted to travel.

As others have stated, 'rare' can be pretty relative, and current events can always change the way they've lived, and what life has been for them in the past.

But those are my opinions on the matter, anyway. I think it gives us a decent amount of freedom, despite their stated 'reclusive' nature. Duskwights, again, were also said to be reclusive, instead hoping to keep their own peace, and even furthermore, loath city-states and are seen as outcasts / vagabonds in general. A lot of them literally live in caves and may or may not hiss at sunlight and outsiders and rules. But they're still around any number of ways that players come up with, so I don't imagine the Auri would be any different, especially if crazy stuff is happening back home.

Oh yeah, Au Ra with a greatsword would be fine I imagine, although specifically a Dark Knight...we don't know yet. Certainly, I'll have Kale being a DRK only for the weapon. For liteRPing dungeons though, the class seems too magical rather than just swinging a greatsword around (i.e. even though Kale is not a PLD, the PLD actions are generic enough in animation to be able to fit being a normal swordfighter).

I also bet you could play a Lominsan pistoleer or Garlond engineer as MCH as well.

I also bet you could play a Lominsan pistoleer or Garlond engineer as MCH as well.

I like to imagine some random person finding a gun left behind by a forgetful or dead adventurer and going 'man this is tight, gonna use this all the time now.' Havoc ensues.

Really, most if not all of the jobs in this game could be used by RPers in the 'similar or a little less powerful' skills and abilities. Most of the special jobs are 'off-limits' only in the strictest sense by how specific or particular the titles are like white mage and black mage. 

I'm very happy to see their job design veering away from the 'Chosen One' stories to just rare or only a certain title for a very particular type of training and association. Or so it seems anyway.

I like to imagine some random person finding a gun left behind by a forgetful or dead adventurer and going 'man this is tight, gonna use this all the time now.' Havoc ensues.

Really, most if not all of the jobs in this game could be used by RPers in the 'similar or a little less powerful' skills and abilities. Most of the special jobs are 'off-limits' only in the strictest sense by how specific or particular the titles are like white mage and black mage. 

I'm very happy to see their job design veering away from the 'Chosen One' stories to just rare or only a certain title for a very particular type of training and association. Or so it seems anyway.

Yeah, I don't like it when an MMO makes me out to be special, because they never, ever REALLY pull it off. They just don't have the tools that single-player games do for that narrative.

It's nice to see things shaping up like learning to be any of these new Jobs, or even referring to yourself as one, wouldn't be too much of a stretch. They all sound about on-par with Paladins in that sense, their lore being based around currently existing societies and relatively recent developments.

Yeah, I don't like it when an MMO makes me out to be special, because they never, ever REALLY pull it off. They just don't have the tools that single-player games do for that narrative.

One of my favorite things about Warhammer Online was basically being told that I was meaningless cannon-fodder. Was a pretty refreshing change from games that constantly portray the player as the "chosen one", and it fit the Warhammer universe really well.

Or a Doman military scout who finds delicious irony in turning Garlemald's weapons against them. Or a bounty hunter who had a pair of crystal-powered energy guns made to go with his stolen/upgraded Garlean armor. Or a retired Flames soldier who finds that a carbine-type weapon doesn't agitate his injury and makes a good ranged weapon aside from hand throwing axes. Or a combat mage who keeps a high-caliber semiautomatic squirreled away for emergencies. Or a guy who fell through a rift to another world is perfectly normal, thank you very much, and does freelance "ambassadorial" work for the Maelstrom.

One of my favorite things about Warhammer Online was basically being told that I was meaningless cannon-fodder. Was a pretty refreshing change from games that constantly portray the player as the "chosen one", and it fit the Warhammer universe really well.

Reminds me of the good old days of WFRP and Dark Heresy.

Or a Doman military scout who finds delicious irony in turning Garlemald's weapons against them. Or a bounty hunter who had a pair of crystal-powered energy guns made to go with his stolen/upgraded Garlean armor. Or a retired Flames soldier who finds that a carbine-type weapon doesn't agitate his injury and makes a good ranged weapon aside from hand throwing axes. Or a combat mage who keeps a high-caliber semiautomatic squirreled away for emergencies. Or a guy who fell through a rift to another world is perfectly normal, thank you very much, and does freelance "ambassadorial" work for the Maelstrom.

This probably isn't going to go over WELL, but my Machinist is basically just going to be a gun user with some gizmo's made for her by the FC tinkerer, Siben Farnesworth. Siben is an inventor and has been since 1.0, it's what his character does. He's spent the last two years in 2.0 studying Magitek and Allagan technology, our mansion even has a lab set up for him in the basement (It's right next to the medbay >.>). He's a tinkerer, he tries to make robots for fun and usually things end up exploding. He's even working on an Airship project called "S.S. Probably Fine." Armi will be getting all her tools from him. As you can imagine, Siben is also going Machinist as his main, too.

(Yes, the last name Farnesworth was indeed a deliberate choice)

Personally, if one's written as a life-long tinker or explorer of Magitek, I don't find anything wrong with that character being able to come up with Ironworks-styled equipment...and I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of models of firearm that appear more cobbled together or steampunk/trashy to fit individual glamouring purposes.

Cid can be a super-special snowflake all he wants, but the very nature of technology is that it's spread across a realm, and innovations aren't confined to one person only. Nor should they be.

Dark Knight feels like it was made for me. Not Dogberry, although I'm sure I can work out how he becomes one. But... me.

rxRj9YO.png

Thanks for bringing back those nightmares. -_-

On a happier note, I found the reveals yummy and excited to see more. I still don't plan on playing an Au Ra with any seriousness, but I'll probably mess around with one as a new character once I can squeeze him in past creation locks because tidbits like these have made me increasingly curious.

And of course I'm going to do all those class quests because... I need to! I always do. I doubt I'll change either of my main classes from what they are, but I need to see these new stories, even more now.