Heavensward Jobs, and Au Ra Lore now available

I also bet you could play a Lominsan pistoleer or Garlond engineer as MCH as well.

Or a Doman military scout who finds delicious irony in turning Garlemald's weapons against them. Or a bounty hunter who had a pair of crystal-powered energy guns made to go with his stolen/upgraded Garlean armor. Or a retired Flames soldier who finds that a carbine-type weapon doesn't agitate his injury and makes a good ranged weapon aside from hand throwing axes. Or a combat mage who keeps a high-caliber semiautomatic squirreled away for emergencies. Or a guy who fell through a rift to another world is perfectly normal, thank you very much, and does freelance "ambassadorial" work for the Maelstrom.

;u; I want to do this now.

I only have 8 character slots at 7 are full.

Whyyyyyy

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also bet you could play a Lominsan pistoleer or Garlond engineer as MCH as well.

Or a Doman military scout who finds delicious irony in turning Garlemald's weapons against them. Or a bounty hunter who had a pair of crystal-powered energy guns made to go with his stolen/upgraded Garlean armor. Or a retired Flames soldier who finds that a carbine-type weapon doesn't agitate his injury and makes a good ranged weapon aside from hand throwing axes. Or a combat mage who keeps a high-caliber semiautomatic squirreled away for emergencies. Or a guy who fell through a rift to another world is perfectly normal, thank you very much, and does freelance "ambassadorial" work for the Maelstrom.

I'm sure someone is going to at some point.

I originally wanted my Au Ra to be DRG but that was dependent entirely on the rumor that they'd be dragon equivalents to miqo'te.

Now that this isn't really the case, I'd probably go for a DRK set-up with the Xaela. He'd abandon the tribal conflict as the Raen once did. Only he would not settle, he would keep wandering the land with greatsword in tow. Probably won't have any canonical DRK setups until he actually joins the Dark Knights, but yanno.

I'm so pleased with the Astrologian lore and the Raen lore. I can't wait to make a pretty little Auri (Au Ri?) girl making her living by being a fortune teller. Though I realise that concept has probably been thought by one or more of you lovely people. If it has, maybe there could be a guild for it or an FC in the player case. I'm not quite sure on her motives for leaving her home, though right now I'm thinking of the Garleans invading or maybe a personal reason. I may even end up using a fantasia on Seraphine and bulshitting about how it was a glamour all along or something... I dunno...

I'm also really psyched about the fact she was shown in a full length dress! A real dress!! :lol: 

Though I do really like the idea of tribal warfare for the Xaela it would be interesting to see how people sin that. I mean, there has to be a reason these tribes are warring right? So maybe that resentment carries over to individual characters. Kind of like the Montagues and the Capulets. Maybe they too were forced the emigrate to Eorzea for reasons and they brought their conflicts with them. As a side note I really enjoy their designs in what I've seen so far. I love the contrast of the female model of the website and the darkness of the male. I just prefer the more aethereal :P appearance of the Raen. 

As for the influx of Au Ra characters, I think it's inevitable. I think that many people like myself, want to play an Au Ra because they're new and a bit of an enigma. As for Raen rarely leaving their homeland, I'd wager that it's subjective. A rarity in half a population of an entire nation may be tens of thousands of people. I haven't yet seen a map, but say that the Au Ra population was comparable to size of say...The UK. That's 64 million people. 0.1% of that is still 64000 and a sizeable immigrant population. Then again there aren't 64 million people on ther server, but you see my analogy I hope. I think it's also important to note that they aren't like the Miqo'te (as far as we know). By that I mean that the population isn't restricted in any way as of yet. There may well be millions of Au Ra in the world (theoretically). Therefore, I think it can be justified as to why there may be a huge influx of Raen and Xaela to Eorzea. 

Also, if I don't see a 'Friends of Red Jenny' FC for DRK I will be thoroughly dissapointed.

I can't wait to make a pretty little Auri (Au Ri?) girl

It would be Au Ra, you only use Auri if it's an adjective. Plural and singular forms of the race is Au Ra. So for example "look at that Au Ra over there" or "look at all those Au Ra over there" or "look at this Auri weapon."

I can't wait to make a pretty little Auri (Au Ri?) girl

It would be Au Ra, you only use Auri if it's an adjective. Plural and singular forms of the race is Au Ra. So for example "look at that Au Ra over there" or "look at all those Au Ra over there" or "look at this Auri weapon."

Thank you. I wasn't too sure.

I'm so pleased with the Astrologian lore and the Raen lore. I can't wait to make a pretty little Auri (Au Ri?) girl making her living by being a fortune teller. Though I realise that concept has probably been thought by one or more of you lovely people.

I'm definitely intending to do that, yes. I've seen a few other people planning similar concepts. Kind of inevitable. I'm curious if IC rivalries will spring up. In honesty, I'm not too worried about the popularity of the concept because fortune telling is a craft that often depends heavily upon the teller themselves; a lot of personal touches, perspective and intent. I've got a very particular method in mind for my character and presumably everyone else will too.

I'm so pleased with the Astrologian lore and the Raen lore. I can't wait to make a pretty little Auri (Au Ri?) girl making her living by being a fortune teller. Though I realise that concept has probably been thought by one or more of you lovely people.

I'm definitely intending to do that, yes. I've seen a few other people planning similar concepts. Kind of inevitable. I'm curious if IC rivalries will spring up. In honesty, I'm not too worried about the popularity of the concept because fortune telling is a craft that often depends heavily upon the teller themselves; a lot of personal touches, perspective and intent. I've got a very particular method in mind for my character and presumably everyone else will too.

I kind of hope it will be popular so we can see how people will go about it. I have my personal style picked out, and I hope to see many others cropping up.

Or somebody who does work covered up by the government using technology classified by said government that's more valuable to said government then his own life. :cactuar:

Machinist is proving to be a very versatile job to satisfy many RP tastes. I can't wait to see the different kinds of gun models and what people do with them.

This also means several other implications. It means technology is beginning to become embraced in Eorzea. I can imagine desperation being the cause a new era of unseen technological heights in Aldenard. Very meaty stuff. Are we going to be in the middle of a renaissance?

I would disagree that 'the embrace' of technology is a growing sign of 'progress.'

The technology has been around for a very long time, but has paled in comparison to the use of magic in general. Garleans (full blooded ones) have to rely on Magitek to do anything beyond the mundane martial abilities, but Eorzea can literally destroy that technology with a decent mage.

The arrival of the machinist as by the lore is a desperate move to gain an edge. The Horde has been fighting Ishgard for generations and generations... right down to the dragon godking. The know how to deal with the Ishgardian magic (which without being too spoilerly had held them back until a certain Elezen woman in 2.4 and 2.55). I would say, without any solid knowledge, that the turn toward technology that is far less renewable, so to speak, than aether is more an attempt to add a weapon that the Horde is not used to (and/or helped defeat the dragon god) the fight. It is sort of like bringing Elephants to Rome.

The technology has been there for a long time, but until recently has proven quite a bit less reliable/accessible/useful. (Examples being the rapid fire flintlocks of a certain Admiral and the sawed off rifle of a Lalafell Yellow Jacket in the thief quest line.)

Technology in the FFXIV world isn't so much more 'advanced' as it is just a different method of life. With a bit of aether, a sword chop can be just as devastating as an explosion, or someone can literally punch bullets out of the air.

However, I could be entirely wrong.

I would disagree that 'the embrace' of technology is a growing sign of 'progress.'

The technology has been around for a very long time, but has paled in comparison to the use of magic in general. Garleans (full blooded ones) have to rely on Magitek to do anything beyond the mundane martial abilities, but Eorzea can literally destroy that technology with a decent mage.

The arrival of the machinist as by the lore is a desperate move to gain an edge. The Horde has been fighting Ishgard for generations and generations... right down to the dragon godking. The know how to deal with the Ishgardian magic (which without being too spoilerly had held them back until a certain Elezen woman in 2.4 and 2.55). I would say, without any solid knowledge, that the turn toward technology that is far less renewable, so to speak, than aether is more an attempt to add a weapon that the Horde is not used to (and/or helped defeat the dragon god) the fight. It is sort of like bringing Elephants to Rome.

The technology has been there for a long time, but until recently has proven quite a bit less reliable/accessible/useful. (Examples being the rapid fire flintlocks of a certain Admiral and the sawed off rifle of a Lalafell Yellow Jacket in the thief quest line.)

Technology in the FFXIV world isn't so much more 'advanced' as it is just a different method of life. With a bit of aether, a sword chop can be just as devastating as an explosion, or someone can literally punch bullets out of the air.

However, I could be entirely wrong.

Not everyone can channel aether in Eorzea (see Cocobusi from THM questline), or has the mental fortitude to become a mage, just because the WoL can walk into a guild and pick up casting spells like it was second nature to him does not mean this is an ability that every person in Eorzea can do, and even people who can do it probably take much longer than the WoL does to learn it. Lets not forget either that it's not an "either/or" scenario either, Garleans created Magitek because they cannot use Aether, but Magitek was not designed so that people who can use Aether cannot use it; look at the Ironworks armor for casters.

In short, I think the expansion of technology is a bigger deal than you seem to think of it, after all one of the largest empires in the world and most advanced/powerful was an empire that combined magic and technology.