Lore Question: Soulstones and how to acquire them.

Lumizumi

Ah, thanks for the corroboration. 

So you could use some Scholar arts without a soulstone, but a Soul of the Scholar is required to manifest a Fairy. That makes Scholar and Black Mage the two jobs that seem to require Soulstones to use them properly.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly enough, you will note that golem also use soulstones. Are they the same thing however? I don't know, but they use the same word. I believe it could be similar, it basically stores a persona inside with memories and experience. For a golem, it works like a core works for a mammet.

A chert golem was recently sighted near the gates to the Sylphlands. Who created it and why it was left free to roam is anyone's guess. In any case, the construct's presence is profoundly serendipitous, for the soulstone of a chert golem is created by enchanting a chunk of true heart ore. True heart, in case you were unaware, is an exceedingly rare ore, one which Giggity has almost certainly never tasted, and will therefore be unable to resist.

So, all you need do is search for the golem, slay it, claim its heart, and use it to bait the spriggan. Oh, and do remember to rub the soulstone against a sufficiently large concentration of amber, say, Amberscale Rock in the Central Shroud. Short of petitioning a mage versed in golem magicks, that is the only way I know to dispel the enchantments woven into a true heart. Eh? Why are you looking at me like that? I had relations with a thaumaturge once, if you must know.

Which makes me wonder if you can do the same trick with job soulstones... Mhhh.

Anyway.

Which brings me to:

While the soul is indeed inimitable' date=' we believe it possible to create a quasi-soul. Thus we turned our attention to anima─the selfsame force which allows individuals to traverse the Lifestream via aetherytes. By infusing a soulstone with the requisite quantities of aether, this force may be harnessed.[/quote']

Which seems to confirm that soulstones are a collection of seeping memories and experiences, and that it just lacks a 'quasi-soul' to become awake. I would argue that in the case of job soulstones, that enabling soul is you. The interesting question would be... How much of the soulstone does pervade into you? How much bleeds in you, and how much influence does it exert on you?

And the obvious:

Oh' date=' and pray do not forget to carry your Soul of the machinist. I based the design on the more traditional soul crystals, and it will act as a focal point for the energy conversions performed by the aetherotransformer. ...Ah, that would be the “contraption” Rostnsthal mentioned.[/quote']

It seems to imply that soulstones are indeed catalysts for the skills they allow the bearer to wield.

Which brings me to:

While the soul is indeed inimitable, we believe it possible to create a quasi-soul. Thus we turned our attention to anima─the selfsame force which allows individuals to traverse the Lifestream via aetherytes. By infusing a soulstone with the requisite quantities of aether, this force may be harnessed.

Which seems to confirm that soulstones are a collection of seeping memories and experiences, and that it just lacks a 'quasi-soul' to become awake. I would argue that in the case of job soulstones, that enabling soul is you. The interesting question would be... How much of the soulstone does pervade into you? How much bleeds in you, and how much influence does it exert on you?

Amusingly enough, I kinda played with that idea for back when Gogon was a plot villain. He ended up creating devices that basically "jolted" a soulstone to quasi-awareness using a ceruleum pool and a specific frequency of charge using lightning crystals. In addition, it was a major detail that these "awakened" soulstones were more pervasive and influential - and he had to basically overwhelm them with personal will in order to force them to obey him and relinquish their secrets. And when he let his mental guards down in the final battle...

... Well, there was a reason I basically had him in a coma for a couple real-time months. And even now he's dealing with the fallout of allowing the amalgam essence of awareness and knowledge from the soulstones to pervade his being. It's actually the primary overarching "arc" that he's on right now - though it's mostly a thing occurring in the background as more dynamic and interactive RP comes up.

It's just amusing to me that there's actual lore now about doing something similar - just with anima instead of ceruleum and electricity.