So who has authority over Azys Lla? And Tiamat for that matter *obvious spoilers*

Zelmanov

So as far as my understanding of things, Ishgard has de facto territorial claim over the sea of clouds, Azys Lla resides there as well. However, Gerolt and what's his face up and take for Azys Lla and call it home for the length of the anima quest. 

Also, there is the fact a FIRST BROOD IS CHAINED AND ALIVE on the southern quadrant of the map. So do people go to Azys Lla as they please? Its a place holding the triad, which are known to be a source of unimaginable power. There are Mericydian dragons all over, Garlemald has set up base on the eastern side...

just what's going around in that zone? I'm surprised the thing isn't a bloody battlefield or heavily contested by the alliance for all the still functioning allagan tech/creating a palisade against the encroaching Garlemald empire.

Well if the story is any indication I think Garlemald has the biggest claim since Ishgard has their own problems with its citizens fighting each other, and the other city states need some after the fact motivation to get them allied, not to mention the hunt for Omega as whoever falters there may lose their chance at it.  In short yeah the Empire is gonna have first pick of the loot.

I don't think the Alliance has any airships that can compete with Garlean ones. I doubt they have the logistics to carry on war so far away using only air power.

Especially when there are still several bases on occupied Eorzea, not to mention the AlaMhigan front.

What brought this on? Hahaha

Hrmmm....well, my interpretation is that it's a mix of Ishgard and Garlemald...and then some straggler Sharlayan scholars.

I think people don't just go there. Like average joe would get eaten alive.

It's definitely contested territory...But I would think in the same way Mor Dhona has Garlean occupancy...

So overall, I think it's an "at your own risk," venture...if you're mighty important (like the best smith in all the land) or you aren't gonna get eaten alive or you have an airship in the first place (Which, as we've seen in 2.0, only special people can use an airship) you can prolly get there...

The reason (ICly) I've had Ashe go through roundabout means to go there is 1) Ishgard has a guarded airship dock to the place and our company ICly can't just fly there and you can't just teleport somewhere you've never been... and 2) Ashe prolly wouldn't be allowed to just go to these places thanks to a certain Dragoon >>

What brought on the thought is primarily that we have Tiamat in the south...no one is doing anything about her. She seems like prime candidate for all sorts of things, good and ill.

Hrmmmmm

I was wondering about that part for a bit too...especially when Ashe and Xav set up their own teleportation point near her...

Like...there's a big fucking dragon just alive and chained there...wasn't sure if either of them should ICly notice it or not so I left it alone...

We'll see though...Maybe Nidhogg will do something?

Until the anima quest where Gerolt and co. just casually go there and hang out, I was sort of under the impression very few people even knew the place existed, let alone where it was? Unless I missed the part in the MSQ where you and the crew make this information public to everyone...?

Until the anima quest where Gerolt and co. just casually go there and hang out, I was sort of under the impression very few people even knew the place existed, let alone where it was? Unless I missed the part in the MSQ where you and the crew make this information public to everyone...?

Yeah, that's how I was running with it IC. The new quest line does, however, throw a big monkey wrench into that. Rowena's dialogue seems pretty casual about the whole thing, unfortunately.

So, I suppose the direction I'm going to go is the same as I have for the Gubal Library: some people have relatively ready access to it, but it's basically a new area that's not been well-explored thus far. Because of its distance and the danger, it's not a place most people can or will go. Why, you'd need to be in good with the Ironworks, own your own airship, be a sky pirate, or have some other IC justification to be up there regularly. :)

If you pay attention to the Anima storyline, actually it seems there are daily/weekly trips to Azys Lla as told by Rowena, of either...it seems like she says Pirates?  But I think there are probably exploratory from both Ishgard as well as the from the Pirates, but who knows?  If you want to infiltrate the area, and you feel your character is strong enough, or is traveling in a well prepared group, I don't see why you couldn't?

As long as you are aware of:

The extreme nature of the land you are about to enter, including the new/old technology of a lost culture, the presence of Garlemald, the presence of highly dangerous genetic experiments, and the existence of soon to be unleashed content in the area (i.e.- Proto-Ultima, and the Warring Triad)

So if your character can withstand the journey, the physical challenge, and the attack on the sense and psyche, go go go! And I am not setting those as immovable obstacles, simply sighting the sheer magnitude of what your character may encounter, so that you can stew on it before hand and make good decisions in your RP.

Azyz Lla isn't really the sort of place that just anybody can visit - especially not on a whim. I'd say that at present the bulk of the opposition is in the remnants of the facilities there - both in terms of feral genetic experiments and Allagan constructs. That's not including the Garlean forces that are stationed in and around The Gration which is no doubt heavily defended given that the Emperor and his elite forces reside there.

I believe that at least one FATE implies that reinforcements from Garlemald are able to make their way to Azyz Lla. So it doesn't strike me as the sort of area that the bulk of characters can get to - let alone survive in.

For me it's a matter of plausibility. I don't believe there's a lot of valid reasons for most characters to visit such a place - let alone for them to somehow survive and cut through constructs and Garlean forces as if they were easy prey.

We also don't really know how the situation in Azyz Lla is going to play out so I'd personally prefer to wait and see what direction the story goes in before considering a trip to such a place.

I figure that it's more or less treated in the same way the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone is handled. Nominally it's claimed by either the Alliance or by Garlemald depending on who you ask, but the real restrictions are the difficulty in travelling there and the immutable danger that takes the form of numerous razor-toothed monstrosities who specialize in eating faces.

Who "claims" Azys Lla is a purely political matter, otherwise you could really just say that as a result of the terrain, its isolation, and aforementioned monstrosities, only Azys Lla has any real authority over Azys Lla. Or the Allagans, as said above. Tentatively Garlemald since they have a sizeable presence.

Yeah, that's how I was running with it IC. The new quest line does, however, throw a big monkey wrench into that. Rowena's dialogue seems pretty casual about the whole thing, unfortunately.

So, I suppose the direction I'm going to go is the same as I have for the Gubal Library: some people have relatively ready access to it, but it's basically a new area that's not been well-explored thus far. Because of its distance and the danger, it's not a place most people can or will go. Why, you'd need to be in good with the Ironworks, own your own airship, be a sky pirate, or have some other IC justification to be up there regularly. :)

It's a giant floating landmass in the sky.

I'm fairly certain people took notice.

Except it remained unnoticed since the fall of the Allagan Empire?

And is above the Sea of Clouds?

And basically floats inside aether-smog?

And had that beautiful shield system?

Didn't it have a cloaking device or something similar?

Didn't it have a cloaking device or something similar?

It did, yes. It's a fair argument to say that, if you're following the logic of "the events of the last patch have happened IC at the time of the current patch," then the shield is gone at this point, and there's a big Garlean airship attached to it, too.

The shield is probably out of commission. Wherein the 'key' that the Pope and crew used to gain entry probably was designed to lower and raise the shield as necessary, Cid and party had to bash the shield down with magic, ergo no more shield.

They poked a hole in it, I thought.

But my point had nothing to do with the shield. My point had more to do with the fact that this all would have happened a very short time ago, in the context of the timeline. To say that the place is just "out there for everyone to see" probably isn't accurate. You'd need to know where you're going, for one (it is in the Sea of Clouds, after all) and you'd need to know what you're looking for and where. It appears to hang out in a lot of rather opaque clouds.

It's been a minute since I watched the scene, but I recall the point of contact flashing and the entire visible segment of the shield--which was not an insignificant amount--exploding. That implied to me that the whole thing came down. Plus, a few of the FATEs in the region--one involving a bunch of lamia, if memory serves--mentions that there's now a credible threat of things getting off of Azys Lla, which also indicates that the shield as a whole is gone.

The rest of it's pretty spot-on, though. I mean hell, I'm cheating my way onto Azys Lla because I have a character employed at the Ironworks.

• 2 weeks later...

Even with the amount of characters I have, I can only think MAYBE one might have even heard such a place existed..more so since only one is a native Ishgardian, the rest haven't even imagined places like Cloud Top and such. It's just not in an area they would be at, or have the ability to poke around.

With Ishgard only just opening up to some folks..I can't see anyone I play beyond my Noble having the ability or intent to go to any of those places...and Azys La is waaaaay bigger of a deal than some flying islands with giant owl doods.

Also with Azys La being overflowed with horrible monsters, tech that is way beyond anything my people have ever imagined, and having no real settlements beyond Garlean outposts...no. None of my characters would be foolhardy, or strong enough to even try to go to a place like that. I just think it's way beyond the scope of their reality.

I'd equate it, at present, to if the ascian place were Zodiark is floating around ever becomes a place we could go.....No. My chars would NOT go there.

They kind of want to live, and not be torn limb from limb by monsters. Honestly I kinda cringe when I hear people ICly make casual mention of having gone up there...

Well, with a most recent quite heated argument over the general matter of Azys Lla, seem like a good idea to make a quick (edit: not so quick) post here. With an awful lot of HS, but hell, the question puzzle me

Truth to be told, I was more than a bystander than anything but still... well, something puzzle me, a lot of them already told here. For all that matter, well, you're free to go to this place, sure, but... I may have some difficulties with people going up-there like... going for a tea-party? 

I mean, even if for me, this place, as just desolated/isolated/widely unknown may be, and the sheer size of it may make quite impossible to control it, (Seriously, Ishgard have trouble to just provide supplies for their outpost in the Sea of Cloud, they say it. Not sure they have anything near the vessel needed to patrol the area, even less with a superdreadnought garlean ship up-there, didn't it? Which is a lone ship. Per se, not able to control the whole area); I have some troubles with going there picnic way. Guess people are pretty handy with airship now, given how things have evolved, with sky privateer and such but... You know, that doesn't rub well to go in such a dangerous place for the thrill. [unless you're some kind of handy researcher or blood-seeker berserker I mean].

Sure, people have their reasons, know even of some who go up there but well... They are with a full party of grizzled mercenary or a platoon of troops to make sure nothing "too" bad happen. Guess I'm kind of a scaredy cat, but, unless some very serious business/or being a crazed scholar, like a matter of death, who'll go poke allagans creations (You know, the people you should fear, crazed with so much power they even try to use the Big Purple Thing, make strange experiments, make a seal worth of a moon, chimeraes and such..), in a barren wasteland, where a massive badass dragon is held and the most dreaded of primals? (like enough to make Allagans [see before] wary of them?) Won't even speak of logistics difficulties, like... spare pieces for airship, bad wyrms still roaming the area from time to time, supplies just impossible to gather on site and such... 

So... Given all of these and the fact that, well, most people maybe not even know what the fuck the name imply, why and how so many people are seemingly taking some casual sight-seeing nice little romantics trips in this place? I'm quite curious about it, without any irony. (I swear, I'm genuinely curious) Even more when it's like... well, people claiming to have gone up-there alone, explored some big scary place and found things in, without a scratch? I'm seriously wondering how should I react to that, I mean, differently that "I see..."

Guess that's all for now.

More monkey wrenches.

ARM Lv. 60 mentions that there's a new supply of Adamantite though they don't mention where. The only Adamantite node, IC, is on Azys Lla. That means there are enough people who go up there (granted, to lampshade just how many of us swarm the damn thing OOC) to bring back enough Adamantite that people are aware of it.

MIN Lv. 60 requires for a Miner to have knowledge of Azys Lla and go get the Adamantite by themselves. While HOW you get the 3 HQ Adamantites is never mentioned, the Goblins are at least aware that it exists and can direct people to it after this. Granted, who trusts goblins? (I... I do. Cutes ._.)

Other mentions of Adamantite (BSM, CRP) don't really specify anything more about Azys Lla.

Also, about Rowena, seems to me like she treats everything that way regardless of how impossible. Say you'd have to go to the actual moon to get what she wants, she'd be like "Pft whatever do it I smell money."

Answer found in FATE 'Phi Slamma Gamma West'

'Seeking to lay claim to the area before the Eorzean Alliance, the VIth Imperial Legion has dispatched several centuries of soldiers to secure footholds in strategic locations throughout the Gamma Quadrant'

Well I doubt Azys Lla is going to stay a secret very long. There's not a lot about the WoL does that remains a secret. You got a minstrel singing songs about his deeds in one of the adventuring hubs filled with people seeking riches, knowledge, or thrills. 

I don't think the eorzean alliance is just going to let the Garleans run around a place like that unchecked looking for more superweapons they can use in their conquests. So I doubt they'd do much to keep it a secret, I'd imagine it to be quite the opposite in letting these adventurers that they work so hard to draw in. (Only letting adventurers live in the housing districts.) Then just assume they'll do keep the Garleans occupied and keep any dangerous beasties from escaping. Lot of personal head canon but it doesn't seem to be an impossible lore breaking idea.