The Family Room (and the Vent Tent) of First Time Raiding Experience

After four nites of trying, we got to see phase 3 of sephirot ex - more than once!!! :D

And along the way, we met people through pugs - some were jerks but some were very nice, kind and willing to try and help others. It was a lot of fun. 

Though I die every time the purple marks is on me because I always tend to panic and just run like a maniac and totally forget I was the one shouting "PURPLE ON BUTT PURPLE ON BUTT!" :frustrated:

Hey panicking is a natural response to purple circles!

Doing my first Seph run two nights ago I triple checked before starting that healers were supposed to run RIGHT. I was given a cool marker on my head showing the other healer to follow me when I ran RIGHT. The circles dropped and I went sprinting off to the right....

...and I stood there for three seconds wondering why the DPS were on top of me, before suddenly realizing that I was facing Sepheroth and my right was actually his....

Turns out that you learn important things while raiding, like which is your right hand. :|

I have to use it for a different part of the fight T_T

Sounds like the talk of a quitter.

Hidoi, Aaron-kun.

Yeah well I don't know what that means! So yeah, take that.

Hidoi: Japanese word that means 'Awful' or 'How cruel'

If you don't know the meaning of -kun, I don't know how you have survived in the internet.

*Goes back to her summer HW.*

How dare you open my eyes further on the culture of the internet?!?!

A long time ago, in a content patch far, far away (read: 3.1 back in the fall of last year), I took my very first crack at Thordan EX just after it came out. Unfortunately, I didn't know enough people who were willing or able to do it, so my SCH friend and I braced ourselves for the worst and ventured into PF. Luckily for us, we found a group! Unluckily for us, it was...less than ideal.

TL;DR:

SCH friend: "Okay, so did everyone watch the video?"

Me (MNK): "Yep."

NIN (who died at least twice in every attempt): "Yep."

WAR OT: "Yep."

Other two DPS: "Yep."

Both the DRK MT and the other healer: "We don't want to watch a video. It spoils the experience, so we're not going to look up anything about the fight."

SCH friend and I: ""

Keep in mind, this was a few weeks after the patch had dropped. We were way out of the "this fight is brand spankin' new because it dropped six hours ago and no one has figured out all the mechanics yet" phase. There was absolutely no reason for either of them to have this kind of attitude about it, especially as the MT and healer. Try as we might, we couldn't convince either of them that refusing to learn what to expect ahead of time was detrimental to the rest of the group.

So they got their way while everyone else in the group side-eyed them.

Two hours later, we still had not gotten past Adelphel and Janlenoux, and I was bubbling gently while I tried my absolute hardest not to explode into an erupting volcano of rage at their self-righteously willful ignorance.

We dispersed for the night, MT and other healer went their merry way in blissful obliviousness, and I promptly called my SCH friend over Skype to screech indignantly about people who knowingly are liabilities to the group but refuse to do anything about it.

So yeah. That was fun.

A long time ago, in a content patch far, far away (read: 3.1 back in the fall of last year), I took my very first crack at Thordan EX just after it came out. Unfortunately, I didn't know enough people who were willing or able to do it, so my SCH friend and I braced ourselves for the worst and ventured into PF. Luckily for us, we found a group! Unluckily for us, it was...less than ideal.

TL;DR:

SCH friend: "Okay, so did everyone watch the video?"

Me (MNK): "Yep."

NIN (who died at least twice in every attempt): "Yep."

WAR OT: "Yep."

Other two DPS: "Yep."

Both the DRK MT and the other healer: "We don't want to watch a video. It spoils the experience, so we're not going to look up anything about the fight."

SCH friend and I: ""

Keep in mind, this was a few weeks after the patch had dropped. We were way out of the "this fight is brand spankin' new because it dropped six hours ago and no one has figured out all the mechanics yet" phase. There was absolutely no reason for either of them to have this kind of attitude about it, especially as the MT and healer. Try as we might, we couldn't convince either of them that refusing to learn what to expect ahead of time was detrimental to the rest of the group.

So they got their way while everyone else in the group side-eyed them.

Two hours later, we still had not gotten past Adelphel and Janlenoux, and I was bubbling gently while I tried my absolute hardest not to explode into an erupting volcano of rage at their self-righteously willful ignorance.

We dispersed for the night, MT and other healer went their merry way in blissful obliviousness, and I promptly called my SCH friend over Skype to screech indignantly about people who knowingly are liabilities to the group but refuse to do anything about it.

So yeah. That was fun.

I don't know. 

My static went into A8s blind last night for the most part. It's kind of fun seeing random symbols and buffs pop up and everyone runs around screaming.

I do think that if you want to go in blind, you should use a party finder and let people know that. It's a jerk move to blindside people with your non-guidewatching. Nothing worse than PFs where people lie about their experience level.

I don't know. 

My static went into A8s blind last night for the most part. It's kind of fun seeing random symbols and buffs pop up and everyone runs around screaming.

I do think that if you want to go in blind, you should use a party finder and let people know that. It's a jerk move to blindside people with your non-guidewatching. Nothing worse than PFs where people lie about their experience level.

Yeah, exactly. Hilarious panicked flailing when you're all in consensus is one thing, and "Hi people I don't know, I don't want to learn anything and you can't make me, now let's go do the fight," is another.

It is a jerk move.

Uplander Doom continues to be the bane of my existence. Its never actually ended a raid, but it's a thorn in my side because usually one of a couple things happens:

1. The tank refuses to swap and I die.

2. The healer cannot keep up with the damage output, regardless of my using CDs.

It just annoys the shit out of me that people cannot get with it and properly do the mechanic.

Uplander Doom continues to be the bane of my existence. Its never actually ended a raid, but it's a thorn in my side because usually one of a couple things happens:

1. The tank refuses to swap and I die.

2. The healer cannot keep up with the damage output, regardless of my using CDs.

It just annoys the shit out of me that people cannot get with it and properly do the mechanic.

You can solo tanku it.

I even solo tank most of them in savage. Of course we have really good healers so ymmv.

So I'm on a8s, and we tried like 5 different strategies other people proposed to handle litigation. 

It's this sort of complicated thing where everyone gets a different number and has to do things based on their numbers.

Then eventually we just made our own strategy, and used that. 

Feels cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I have decided to ditch Sephirot Extreme and instead try out the new shiny trials..And after a few nights of trying I got to see last phase of Nidhogg last night. I was in a party with people who raid regularly, and it was a new experience - different than just pugging it with a casual study group, people called me out when i was messing up with my rotation, called each other out and constantly was on top of it, for half of the time, I was staring at the screen so hard that my neck was hurting just from that - it was interesting, intense, a little scary for the first...10min, we were on discord but I could only listen, and I had my microphone turned off - because otherwise I thought i might explode or crack under the "pressure". 

But at the end I have to admit it was a /lot/ of fun. And it got much less scary once you get used to the pace. Take it as a baby step further. Yay!:bouncy:

So I have decided to ditch Sephirot Extreme and instead try out the new shiny trials..And after a few nights of trying I got to see last phase of Nidhogg last night. I was in a party with people who raid regularly, and it was a new experience - different than just pugging it with a casual study group, people called me out when i was messing up with my rotation, called each other out and constantly was on top of it, for half of the time, I was staring at the screen so hard that my neck was hurting just from that - it was interesting, intense, a little scary for the first...10min, we were on discord but I could only listen, and I had my microphone turned off - because otherwise I thought i might explode or crack under the "pressure". 

But at the end I have to admit it was a /lot/ of fun. And it got much less scary once you get used to the pace. Take it as a baby step further. Yay!:bouncy:

It is definitely a different mindset. Often in Pugs people are loathe to call out the mistakes of others, because no one wants to be the 'Bad Guy' also people are disposable. If they're fucking up it's easier to just kick them from the party.

When you get to more formal groups, and the more close-knit endgame community, people do call you out, because they need you to get better. It's not to make you feel bad, it's to make you improve, and if you don't want to improve, why are you there?

That's the logic I think at least, though it can be a little jarring the first time you're seeing it. Pugs are usually deathly silent on wipes, whereas statics often discuss what caused each one.