A comprehensive look at the Seventh Umbral Era story arc [1.0]

Merri

I'm unclear on two issues, maybe someone could clear it up.

1. How long did the battle under Dalamud last?

2. Were there other survivors other then the ones teleported in the trailer?

Not long. The way it's portrayed, it seems like the battle was over quite quickly. If I had to give a rough estimate, I'd say the engagement lasted maybe 30 minutes (so half a bell) tops before things went to hell. Maybe less. We only see snippits of the battle in the trailer.

It's sort-of-but-not-really implied that everyone who remained in Mor Dhona after Bahamut cast his Mega Flare died, but we don't know for certain. Canonically, the Grand Companies attempted to withdraw their units from Mor Dhona after Bahamut broke free. Many, many people did not make it, however there are those that escaped before Bahamut ravaged the area.

To those soldier's knowledge, they did so at the expense of what they now call the Warriors of Light, which is one of the many reasons they are revered and called as such. (Who are the timeskippers.)

The VIIth Legion, on the other hand, seems to have been all but obliterated at this point but we have no concrete evidence.

Basically, the whole lot of it is kind of up in the air right now, however it's likely we'll learn more in the ARR story. It's one of those touchy subjects at this point in time, as canon might lean in certain directions.

Ok, sorry. Two more questions;

1. How long was it after the fight at Castrum Novum, when the Lunar Transmitter was destroyed, was the grand battle with Bahamut? I'm confused because some sources I have read say 10 years and others say its much less.

2. While Bahamut was megaflaring all over the place, weren't there Chimera attacks going on at the same time in Ul'dah? If so, how severe were the attacks?

1. Canonically, the battle of Carteneau was (I believe, anyways. Don't quote me on this) roughly 1~2 months after the lunar transmitter was destroyed. Van Darnus went into hiding for awhile before raising the Rivenroad into the skies, and the battle of Carteneau took place not long after his defeat. All of the events during the Seventh Umbral Era storyline take place over the course of one year in canon, though in real life they spanned about two.

2. The attacks on the sultanate appear to be non-canon. Said attacks were occurring alongside the Battle of Carteneau in-game (which was canon), though the opening cinematic shows people calmly standing in Ul'dah watching the meteors trail off Dalamud. That seems to conflict with the idea of Chimera's assaulting the inside of Ul'dah like they did in-game. In fact, it wasn't only Chimeras, but Imperial soldiers, Qiqirin, Morbols, and even dozens of Van Darnus NPCs.

All of that seems to point to those specific events being non-canon, or at the very least, they likely would have taken place outside the city. Ul'dah is known for being pretty impenetrable, and it's highly unlikely that a few beasts could knock down all the gates leading into the city.

However, other people might feel differently on that specific subject. That's just my take on it.

I could have sworn that there was a post by Yoshi P or someone, stating that not a terrible amount of people died in the Eorzean Alliance...he alluded to either the death rate being surprisingly smaller than one would think, or perhaps the number of people actually at the battle (which would mean while most everyone was wiped out, it was still a smaller number).

I wish I could remember if it was a Forum post or a Letter...*sigh*

As a new player who's trying to piece together a background this post was invaluable!  Thanks so much for compiling it all.

Earlier in the thread I read something to the effect that Ala Mhigo was conquered 20 some odd years ago by the Garlean.  From what I've read under the racial background stuff of Highlanders, most of that group hailed from that city.

Can anyone link more lore based around that city?  I know I've seen articles about the fist of Rhalgr hailing from there... but I was hoping for some other culture references or other ideas to spring off of.  If the city was conquered 20 years ago I'm hoping that I could make my character be someone who fled the city around 4-8 and been a hermit until it became to dangerous to live in the wilderness alone.

For anyone interested, I've posted a similar plot summary on my FC site. There's a lot of overlap with this thread, but perhaps the perspectives of two authors will give greater clarity to any wanting a firmer grounding in the lore. I've also included a embedded links to FFXIV wiki and other resources for anyone wishing further reading. 

Check it out if you like. Link: http://gsc.shivtr.com/forum_threads/1535076

Went ahead and removed my original post, as it was mostly speculation mixed with confirmed lore, since it was all we had to really run with.

Now that we have a 100% canonically accurate depiction of the events of the 7th Umbral Era, I've gone ahead and posted that in it's place.

Quite the read! Happy to see I was really close, if not completely accurate with most of my post~

Went ahead and removed my original post, as it was mostly speculation mixed with confirmed lore, since it was all we had to really run with.

Now that we have a 100% canonically accurate depiction of the events of the 7th Umbral Era, I've gone ahead and posted that in it's place.

Quite the read! Happy to see I was really close, if not completely accurate with most of my post~

Can you do me a favor and delete my thread I made?  :D  Since it doesn't have to be merged with this one.

Thank you for your work on recapping this...

Great story, but I still have a hard time with the fact that SE made Bahamut, shining beacon of light and good, well....evil...

Well, in an out of game perspective (and ignoring this whole E/A fiasco) wasn't he doing just that with him bringing us ARR and stuff? :P

Thank you for your work on recapping this...

Great story, but I still have a hard time with the fact that SE made Bahamut, shining beacon of light and good, well....evil...

Well, in an out of game perspective (and ignoring this whole E/A fiasco) wasn't he doing just that with him bringing us ARR and stuff? :P

Haha, well, yeah, he was :)