FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest

Maril

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if Perfect Dodge hadn't been changed (I didn't know, I only played NIN long enough to get the 50 relic and never touched it again), I wouldn't qualify it. You hit the hotkey and are given a get-out-of-damage-free card for however many seconds it's active. Not really comparable to the dodges in action games, including those that use invincibility frames since they're very brief.

Didn't Perfect Dodge get turned into a %health shield?

Believe so. Got turned into Shade Shift, if I'm remembering right: 20% HP shield to all incoming damage. Lasts up to 20 seconds.

Fun facts: the level 30 ROG quest is still tuned around the expectation that you'd have Perfect Dodge. I died to it several times, googled for why, and grew even more frustrated when every guide was like "Just use [skill I don't have and can't find in my spellbook]!"

I ended up completing it because I glitched it (by accident) and the boss happened to not use the ability that was killing me. Still no idea how you're supposed to do it for legit.

>_>

I heard there's a PLD skill that similarly got changed from a "absorb all damage from next attack" to "job-native Adloq"? It seems that's the way they want to do those kinds of skills at the moment. Maybe it'll change in the future; IDK.

That! Would explain a great many things. I was wondering why that final fight seemed a little- off?

But, yeah, it seems like anything that could be interpreted as an active dodge was replaced with an absorb. Why? I guess to cement the idea that they're not that kind of game. Though, I wouldn't mind SE tossing that aside purely for the idea of making a tank who uses a ton of 'em--something to help them stand out from what we already have.

I heard there's a PLD skill that similarly got changed from a "absorb all damage from next attack" to "job-native Adloq"? It seems that's the way they want to do those kinds of skills at the moment. Maybe it'll change in the future; IDK.

In 1.0 there was a shield block ability that was "Block next attack, instead of taking damage you are healed for the amount it would have done." It's missing in ARR for obvious reasons.

The paladin bubble DID get changed from 3.0's introduction, but it was never a get-out-of-damage-free card; It had a hilariously long cooldown for an Adlo effect and couldn't even be processed by paladin's new heal skill. The redux in 3.2 changed it so paladins can now bubble the raid (fun fact: it doesn't actually benefit the paladin at all!) with their own spell.

The Adlo effect of Divine Veil is pretty nice, though: It gives everyone a shield equal to 10% of the paladin's hit points, so as ilvl increases it becomes a pretty healthy mitigating cooldown for raid damage. I tend to pop it and blanket everyone during special attack mechanics: EX specials, Thordan's finisher, and so on.

That! Would explain a great many things. I was wondering why that final fight seemed a little- off?

But, yeah, it seems like anything that could be interpreted as an active dodge was replaced with an absorb. Why? I guess to cement the idea that they're not that kind of game. Though, I wouldn't mind SE tossing that aside purely for the idea of making a tank who uses a ton of 'em--something to help them stand out from what we already have.

SE is terrified of making some jobs more attractive to raid groups than others. If I remember correctly, Ninja could just blink Twintania's divebombs and completely ignore one if targeted. I suspect the change to 20% HP was to put it on par with BLM manawalling it.

In 1.0 there was a shield block ability that was "Block next attack, instead of taking damage you are healed for the amount it would have done." It's missing in ARR for obvious reasons.

The paladin bubble DID get changed from 3.0's introduction, but it was never a get-out-of-damage-free card; It had a hilariously long cooldown for an Adlo effect and couldn't even be processed by paladin's new heal skill. The redux in 3.2 changed it so paladins can now bubble the raid (fun fact: it doesn't actually benefit the paladin at all!) with their own spell.

The Adlo effect of Divine Veil is pretty nice, though: It gives everyone a shield equal to 10% of the paladin's hit points, so as ilvl increases it becomes a pretty healthy mitigating cooldown for raid damage. I tend to pop it and blanket everyone during special attack mechanics: EX specials, Thordan's finisher, and so on.

SE is terrified of making some jobs more attractive to raid groups than others. If I remember correctly, Ninja could just blink Twintania's divebombs and completely ignore one if targeted. I suspect the change to 20% HP was to put it on par with BLM manawalling it.

True enough, I suppose. I recall that being a big issue with FFXI back in the day (and to this day, supposedly, though I can't speak from personal experience), and I can imagine that they'd want to avoid repeating it.

True enough, I suppose. I recall that being a big issue with FFXI back in the day (and to this day, supposedly, though I can't speak from personal experience), and I can imagine that they'd want to avoid repeating it.

Without going terribly far into it, yeah, that's exactly what happened in XI. The entire pace and balance of the game got thrown for a loop by a single ability from one class, and the entire meta changed irrevocably.

I think the most likely class to make it next would be Samurai or Blue mage, since a lot of the skills for blue are already around. I also believe the next thing we are to see is a bit of focus on the shroud, since little is known about them, and they are suppose to be a massive area. They already explored a bit of voidy lore with the casual raids, following that pattern, the shroud would be a very common place to dwell into voidsent/elementals. Also following what we are learning about Sharlayan, the fallen city of Mhach, and there war. I think they would focus a bit more on the Elementals, since those are the cause of one of the calamities in the past. So a focus on the elementals is a quick and interesting route as well.

I get nervous when I post things so >.< don't judge my writing >.<

Fiance is holding out for Samurai and blue mage as well I suspect both are classes to expect in the future as well as red mage.

Though the timing on when/where we would see such classes is too vague to really comment on. Or they could just do what they did with the au ra and throw us some curve balls we hadn't considered before.

I'd love to see a spell fencer type thing! I'd eat that up. What about a Chemist class as a healer? Could be cool.

And yeah, I hear you. No more bars, I hope.

Yessssssssssssss! Chemist, please!! It wouldn't fit Nako IC at all, but I still want it.

Again, Bravely Default - Blademaster.

Just change that to Samurai and you're fine.

But yea, SE won't make actual classes that are fun so.

Honestly at this point, especially since they seem to have said that 3 classes at once was was too much and crazy, I'm not expecting more than a single one and... I would rather like it to be a tank. If it can bring more tanks into the game, I'm all for it. Especially if it's successful.

Might also bring a horde of awful tanks at first like it was for clueless DRKs, but whatever.