Dragoon lore questions

I have an idea for a character but I would like to make sure that it makes sense without stretching a lot. My knowledge on drg lore is poor to say the least, so bear with me:

1) I know that there are more than 3 dragoons but how do they all function? Are they some sort of organization? Do they actually limit their actions to Ishgard and surrounding regions only?

2) Can you just quit being a dragoon? Is there anything stopping you from dropping this fancy armor and leaving your life and title behind?

3) Is there any reason other than Dragonsong War that dragooning is, I think, exclusively an ishgardian style of combat?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

In order:

1) Dragoons serve Ishgard as an elite dragon-killing unit. One becomes a part of the faction by presenting a dragon scale of a dragon they killed or helped to kill and Ishgard acknowledging them.

At the tippy-top of the chain is the Azure Dragoon, and he's basically a once-per-generation Chosen One.

2) There does not appear to be anything that would stop you from being a dragoon if you chose to quit, but we don't know how it would actually work at this juncture.

3) The Dragonsong War lasted over a thousand years, so it's safe to assume that Dragoons came into existence purely as a weapon during that time. The first Azure Dragoon became one by tearing out the eye of a powerful dragon, so the war had already begun before he existed. I don't recall if he was credited as a dragoon prior to that, I believe he was "just" a soldier.

Being a Dragoon and having access to their jumpy powers and dragon-killing training is definitely Ishgardian by design, but the Wood Wailers in Gridania also make proficient use of lances.

2) Can you just quit being a dragoon? Is there anything stopping you from dropping this fancy armor and leaving your life and title behind?

I can't think of any discussions of deserters off the top of my head (though I do think there are several interactions adressing such within Coerthas/Ishgard) but I think it is safe to say that the same things that stop one from leaving a medieval military organization would be the same things stopping you here. If you simply gave up and walked off without some sort of order to allow it, you would be deserting, and likely in some sort of criminal status from then on. Now if you were injured, completed a tour or obligation, etc that shouldn't be an issue.

3) Is there any reason other than Dragonsong War that dragooning is, I think, exclusively an ishgardian style of combat?

Well, Ishgardians are the only ones who have such a large portion of their history devoted to fighting airborne foes; which explains why they're the only ones to have developed such a style, at least as far as we can tell.

And especially within the current living memory, Ishgard has had a very closed-off foreign policy - until very recently, it just wasn't that likely that anyone who wasn't born there would gain enough prestige and trust to be trained in one of their most exclusive forms of warfare.

But besides all that, I mean... okay just gonna spoiler tag this. It's sort of tinfoil hat stuff and I'm not sure if any of it is confirmed, but it might be useful inspiration-wise?

In the DRG 30-50 quest chain we learn that the reason the dragoons use that specific type of armour, drachen mail, is because it "calls to their inner dragon", bringing it forth and empowering it. This enhances the supernatural abilities dragoons possess - their jumps, {Dragonfire Dive} and {Blood of the Dragon}/{Fang and Claw} type abilities, and so forth. It also "draws dragons towards you" to make it easier to find and fight them.

During Heavensward MSQ, we learn that everyone who can trace their ancestry to the Ishgardians of a thousand years ago... is infused with the power of the great wyrm Ratatoskr. Ratatoskr was killed, and her Eyes were consumed by the Ishgardians of the time, who then went on to sire children and pass this power on through them. It became diluted over time, but it's still there. And, I mean, it's still enough to physically transform any Ishgardian into a lesser dragon if they imbibe even a single drop of a true dragon's blood.

Now, what I'm about to say isn't a hard-and-fast rule, more of a general idea that suggests why it's Ishgardians who developed this fighting style and no-one else.

I feel like most of the principle behind being "dragoon" as a skillset is based on the idea that you have an "inner dragon"; in other words... that you possess the power of Ratatoskr within you.

Obviously, The Warrior Of Light can learn to become a dragoon. For intents and purposes of quests, the WoL is not even from Eorzea, let alone Ishgard. Which means it's not totally impossible to become one if you aren't descended from Ratatoskr's killers. The WoL can even excel as a dragoon (see: DRG 50+ quests), which proves it's also not impossible to be a really good dragoon without Ratatoskr's blood within you. Just unlikely.

However and nonetheless - I feel the Ratatoskr connection is likely the reason why, all politics and lack of accessibility aside, it's statistically more probable for an Ishgardian to succeed at learning the skills of a dragoon than anyone else.

even a single drop of a true dragon's blood

I would have to find it, but I'm 99% sure a dev has said that it has to be a special vial of dragon's blood concocted specifically to serve that purpose, but it may not necessarily be that hard to make, as it was apparently distributed to a lot of heretics. After all, dragon blood is a relatively standard high-level alchemy ingredient for stat-enhancing potions. I mean, I know Alphinaud has said this or that, but NPCs have proven in the past to be unreliable sources for lore.

I would have to find it, but I'm 99% sure a dev has said that it has to be a special vial of dragon's blood concocted specifically to serve that purpose, but it may not necessarily be that hard to make, as it was apparently distributed to a lot of heretics. After all, dragon blood is a relatively standard high-level alchemy ingredient for stat-enhancing potions. I mean, I know Alphinaud has said this or that, but NPCs have proven in the past to be unreliable sources for lore.

Yeah, if there's dev confirmation on something then that takes precedence over whatever half-remembered thing I recall from MSQ I did last month xD

Either way, it's diluted but not that diluted.

Yeah, if there's dev confirmation on something then that takes precedence over whatever half-remembered thing I recall from MSQ I did last month xD

Either way, it's diluted but not that diluted.

Found it!! turns out it wasn't on the SE forums at all and I just wasted a couple hours. It's a Dengeki article.

– When the people of Ishgard become dragons, is there a general role for what they will become?

In terms of how powerful they will become, it goes in order Aevis -> Syricta -> Diresaur. Think of it as depending on how much of the “factor of the dragon” they inherited.

Also, drinking “dragons blood” alone has no effect. It has to be “blood poured with great magick.”

Drinking the blood of a defeated dragon, or even taking draconian medicines, there will be no effect.

In the right doses it is perfectly safe, so adventurers and even the people of Ishgard should have peace of mind when using draconian medicines.

Indeed it's only tangentially related to the topic at hand, but... it was really bothering me so I had to find it. <_>

I'm late, but I actually have a large post dedicated to Dragoon Lore on the Azure Dragoons and the Order of the Knights Dragoon. That should be really helpful for you.

I'll plop some answers down for the questions I didn't see an answer to already in the thread.

1) I know that there are more than 3 dragoons but how do they all function? Are they some sort of organization? Do they actually limit their actions to Ishgard and surrounding regions only?

They are part of an organization called the Order of the Knights Dragoon, information for which I linked above. They are select knights, dragonslayers, and orphaned brumeborn hand selected to bear the mantle, but are first put through rigorous training. They are actually /not/ limited to Ishgardian territory! In the past, due to a close alliance with Gridania, dragoons went so far as the Black Shroud and even into Dravania to combat dragons and protect the outlying hamlets. However, after the loss of Ferndale about 20 years ago the last time Nidhogg awakened, Ishgard withdrew from the Eorzean Alliance and sealed off its gates to everyone, even a large population of its own peoples. This is where we get the insular Ishgard we see today, as well as why we see the four High Houses each attempting to control regions of the Coerthas territory outside of the city.

Yes, you can actually. We've several instances of it. When a dragoon gives up their mantle though, they also must give up their spear and armor. Like when a dragoon dies, their armor and spear are buried on the fields of their greatest victory and sealed with the aether of their soulstone so no one besides a dragoon can dig up the armor.

Anyways, look through the link above in the Azure Dragoon section, just about every legendary dragoon gave up their status on their own accord. Kain, Reinette, Alberic...

Hope that helps! ^^

1) Dragoons as stated are the elite. Organizational wise they are an elite unit within the Temple Knights and report to the Lord Commander. That said they seem to have an extreme level of freedom and by the way things are stated at points I would almost imagine they actually select their own missions rather than be ordered on them. To become a dragoon you must slay a /real/ dragon. Aevis, Srycta, and other forms of elezen transformed into dragons do not count. In addition you must provide proof of this, most commonly accepted form being the dragon's head. It also should be pointed out that the majority of dragoons are likely to be of noble birth as to the Holy See those of lower birth are generally beneath notice. That said it is generally worked around by the fact that killing a dragon is one way to increase your status in the city. Hence why there are those who were not noble born become dragoons as well. That all said this was pre 3.3 and many factors in the MSQ most likely will change a lot of this.

2) As far as stepping down from the Order of the Dragoon I do not think there is anything to stop. Granted most dragoons die in the line of combat before they reach old age but it does happen. My own character is 37 and has asked permission to leave due to having served the order for 14 years, being heavily injured, and required to take over as head of his family. As stated, deserters are a different story. The Holy See regards the knowledge of dragoon techniques as a tightly controlled secret and the soul stones themselves are bestowed by the Holy See.

3) I am not sure if there is a quest that specifically states it but I am almost certain that a soul stone is required for many of the Dragoon techniques, and as stated there has really never been a need for the style of fighting outside of Ishgard.

Are you sure that the Knight Dragoons are part of the Temple Knights? Is it said somewhere, because it sounds a bit weird to me. They always struck me as a very independent organization that only answers to the Holy See and have great leeway into doing whatever they want to get to their ends when it comes to their duty, slaying dragons and protecting Ishgard.

Also, same, are they really for their crushing majority from high born blood? We see some of them from the Brume, and Estinien himself, unless mistaken, is from very humble origins. Which could be exceptions mind you, I grant you that, but that's the thing with Dragoons. They never seemed to care much about noble ascent to the opposite of your average isghardian knight. And even then, I may be speculating, but if those knights (not dragoons) are any close to what was IRL in medieval times, then a lot of them were actually not even always nobles, but the very few people rich enough to buy a horse, a weapon, and an armour, with the blessing of their lords. 

As for soulstones, they are the repositories of lost arts. If you get a mentor alive, you don't really need a soulstone, as far as I know, even if it can speed up the process. Some of them, like for the NIN class quests, are traditionally given to the practitioners as a symbol, so that those soulstones also get impregnated by the soul of the warrior they accompany.

Are you sure that the Knight Dragoons are part of the Temple Knights?

The Dragoons are part of the Temple Knights in the sense that they officially answer to the authority of the Archbishop, Knight Commander, and Azure Dragoon in that order (pre-HW). On a practical level though, they do seem to be more insular and independent. During the raid on the Vault we're shown through dialogue between Aymeric and Estinien that the Dragoons are more loyal to their shared cause than broader politics, and likely more loyal to the Azure Dragoon than the Knight Commander or the Archbishop.

Also, same, are they really for their crushing majority from high born blood? We see some of them from the Brume, and Estinien himself, unless mistaken, is from very humble origins. Which could be exceptions mind you, I grant you that, but that's the thing with Dragoons. They never seemed to care much about noble ascent to the opposite of your average isghardian knight. And even then, I may be speculating, but if those knights (not dragoons) are any close to what was IRL in medieval times, then a lot of them were actually not even always nobles, but the very few people rich enough to buy a horse, a weapon, and an armour, with the blessing of their lords. 

It's completely possible for lowborn to join the Knights Dragoon, yeah.

When we make our rounds to the Congregation's training facilities to choose hopefuls for the Knights Dragoon' date=' I have noticed the uptick in lowborn numbers among the new recruits. While it is good to give them the benefit of the doubt as their desperate situation allows them to take more risks than their highborn counterparts, sense it does not make to give candidates quality armor from the start—they have a nasty habit of dropping.[/quote']

Becoming a Knight Dragoon and, subsequently, slaying a large dragon is seen as very prestigious and is one of the only ways a lowborn or, like, those seventh sons of nobles who don't really have anything left to inherit after all their older siblings get their share, can get any recognition. There's a sidequest chain in Coerthas Western Highlands, based around The Convictory, that covers this. It unlocks part way through Coerthas Western's MSQ. I highly recommend completing the whole thing if you want more of a feeling for this sort of thing.

Dominiac wants to support Ser Aymeric' date=' but cannot do so without first gaining glory slaying dragons. Unfortunately, he is not having much luck.[/quote']

The Knights Dragoon also have a penchant for picking people whose parents were killed by dragons, because they're easy to condition. There's a temple leve that describes doing what we would describe as triggering their PTSD, on purpose, in order to sharpen their hatred of the enemy. No wonder Estinien is... you know... Estinien.

I cannot find the leve for this for the life of me, but I know it exists.

But here are some bits about their equipment and training that I found while looking for it:

Lancite' date=' so named for its use in our city-state's weapon of choice, is one of the few ores capable of penetrating Dravanian scales. In preparation for the initiation ceremony for new recruits into the Knights Dragoon, the Skysteel Manufactory has requested a large order of the ore so they, in collaboration with the Order of the Friars Templar, may begin the ritualistic process of forging. Make for the Dravanian forelands and cut out great chunks, and the Manufactory shall reward you fairly.[/quote']

Among the aspiring Knights Dragoon are a talented few who practice jumping attacks in equipment crafted from adamantite' date=' the weight of which will help them to crush a dragon's skull as an eggshell. Alas, one such youth misstepped during his training and landed among the crags, breaking both his legs and armor in the impact. Though his injuries will heal, he requires a new pair of leg guards, and I would entrust none other but a skilled craftsman with the task.[/quote']

The hopefuls of the Knights Dragoon are near the end of their training drills and have grown overconfident with their newfound power in the dragoon jump. A handful boast themselves invincible, and that they are more than ready to practice the jump in heavy adamantite armor, just as those veterans among the ranks. I have warned them that none but a true master of the art would be able to perform the jump with precision in such heavy armor, yet they heed me not. Very well then, the fools will know their folly once removed from the lists due to shattered ankles.

Yes, I perfectly remember the convictory series of quests. It was a way for some to get lots of money, glory, recognition, and potentially a noble status if I'm not mistaken. And that would tend to make my question even more sensed since yes, those are all lowborn and can potentially claim application to the Dragoons.

Are you sure that the Knight Dragoons are part of the Temple Knights?

The Dragoons are part of the Temple Knights in the sense that they officially answer to the authority of the Archbishop, Knight Commander, and Azure Dragoon in that order (pre-HW). On a practical level though, they do seem to be more insular and independent. During the raid on the Vault we're shown through dialogue between Aymeric and Estinien that the Dragoons are more loyal to their shared cause than broader politics, and likely more loyal to the Azure Dragoon than the Knight Commander or the Archbishop.

Well, obviously everyone has to obey the Holy See and the Archbishop, but what I question is that they answer to the Temple Knights and their lord commander as well. Maybe they do, I honestly don't know. I'm just surprised actually. Where was that stated or shown?

The only thing that I can remember is that Estinien cooperates with Aymeric in the MSQ, and so do the Dragoons (or just him independently at the very least).

The Knights Dragoon also have a penchant for picking people whose parents were killed by dragons, because they're easy to condition. There's a temple leve that describes doing what we would describe as triggering their PTSD, on purpose, in order to sharpen their hatred of the enemy. No wonder Estinien is... you know... Estinien. I cannot find the leve for this for the life of me, but I know it exists.

Think you're looking for these two:

Children who lose their fathers to the jagged maws of Dravanians make fine candidates for the ranks of the dragoons' date=' for theirs is a special contempt which cannot be found in the hearts of ordinary men. The commanders can oft tell who they are, and thus seek to nurture that hatred through painful sessions which force them to relive their nightmares. The ranks will be thinned out sure enough, hence we must make use of breeches tough enough to withstand the grazing of sharp teeth, but expendable enough for those who crack from the pressure.[/quote']

As their training forces the Knights Dragoon to respond violently to the screams of dragons' date=' the candidates to join the ranks prefer to use sallets of titanium. Rumor has it that not only is the headpiece as light as a feather, but as the wind blows through the crevices, it mimics such a wail and allows the wearer's hatred to course through their veins tenfold at the mere sound.[/quote']

Well, obviously everyone has to obey the Holy See and the Archbishop, but what I question is that they answer to the Temple Knights and their lord commander as well. Maybe they do, I honestly don't know. I'm just surprised actually. Where was that stated or shown?

The Order of the Knights Dragoon follow their Azure Dragoon, who in turn follows the Lord Commander of the Temple Knights, Lord Aymeric.

Now, while the Temple Knights seem to be an organization of knights all on their own, the term "Temple Knights" also seems to be an umbrella term for the various Orders of Knights found throughout Ishgard, including the Order of the Knights Dragoon, the Order of the Friars Templar, and the other High House Temple Knights who each have their own House commanders. Aymeric appears to be the central command of the entire military, even if each of these Orders are actually separate entities, at the same time they all appear to fall under an umbrella term of Temple Knights. I think. It is very confusing.

So the Order of the Friars Templar acts as its own entity with its own structure, but answers to the Church and to Aymeric.

The Order of the Knights Dragoon is its own entity with its own structure, captained by the Azure Dragoon, who in turn answers to Aymeric.

The House Knights act as their own entity individual to each High House and are commanded by the commanders of that House, but ultimately answer to their Counts and Aymeric.

Then there are the Temple Knights who do as the Lord Commander bids, supposedly. Their main function seems to be to support the endeavors of the above Orders, if the temple levequests are any indication?

Anyways, here's a link that the Lore Train put together on the Temple Knights organization. They don't seem to be entirely sure about it either?

-Heavensward and Temple Knights Lore Train

[align=center]___________________________________________________[/align]

I did a few updates to the Dragoon Lore masterpost I linked earlier in the thread, including adding a dragon lore compilation to the post. But I figure I'll just spoiler/quote the post below since I'm not sure the link was actually seen earlier on as there were a couple of later queries that are answered in the compilation.

In Ishgard, there are two types of Dragoons: the Azure Dragoon and the Order of the Knights Dragoon. The lore behind each varies slightly, so you should be aware of the distinction first and foremost.

The Azure Dragoon

The Azure Dragoon is a very specific dragoon of the Order chosen by the Eye of Nidhogg. With one exception (our character) only one Azure Dragoon is chosen every generation. These chosen lead the Order of the Knights Dragoon in the fight against Dravania using the power of the Eye of Nidhogg, an Ishgardian relic dating back 1000 years. The Eye was prized from the Celestial Wyrm, Nidhogg, by Haldrath, the first Dragoon and son of Thordan, last king of Ishgard.

The official story taught by the Orthodox Halonic Church is that Thordan and his Knights Twelve united the Ishgardians and led his people to the lone peak adrift in the Sea of Clouds where Ishgard rests today. They were set upon by Nidhogg, King of the Dravanians. Nidhogg bewitched Thordan's knights and they threw him into the chasm, whereupon Haldrath was able to break the dragon's spell and guided by Halone, defeat Nidhogg.

Now... that's not exactly how it actually went down...

Moving on, these Azure Dragoons each live on as legends to the Ishgardians, many being elevated to Sainthood for their deeds. As such, these incredibly rare and important figures to Ishgardian society are usually deemed taboo to roleplay. Prior to Heavensward, this was a huge point of contention to the roleplaying community, as many RPers wished to be able to use jump attacks and wear the Drachen Mail. Well, good news is that both things are acceptable and not limited to the Azure Dragoon. These things are, however, limited to the most elite of the Order of the Knights Dragoon.

Tell me' date=' Sounsyy - do you believe that these events truly transpired? Or are you inclined to think them faerie tales? I ask you this because few folk have seen dragons in the flesh besides we Ishgardians, and most would as soon dismiss them as products of the imagination. Alas, dragons are no less real than you and I, with Nidhogg perhaps the most real of all. In the course of its history, Ishgard has suffered under the creature on eight separate occasions. Each time the great wyrm rouses, the blood of countless Ishgardians is spilled.[/quote']

The Eye is no ordinary relic. It harbors the power of the dragon' date=' which it bestows upon a single chosen soul─the strongest and wisest dragoon. He who is chosen is possessed of the power to fight our mortal foes, the dragons of Dravania, on equal footing, soaring the firmament as if it were an extension of the land. That man is known as the Azure Dragoon. The Azure Dragoon is the light of hope for all Ishgardians, and the paragon of all dragoons.[/quote']

The Eye itself is secreted deep within the Vault. It is kept under heavy guard - surrounded at all times by men and women who have proven their loyalty to the Holy See.

There is a custom still observed in Ishgard today which ordains that the Holy See bestow a polearm dubbed Gae Bolg upon any lancer who ascends to the station of dragoon. Exactly how his weapon is forged remains a mystery' date=' as the very few highland smiths who create them are sworn to keep their methods secret. All that is known is that the bones of dragons slain in the name of Halone are worked into both haft and head, achieving an unmatched balance between lightness and strength.[/quote']

Fancy yerself a dragonslayer' date=' eh? Well, I happen to know jus' the weapon for ye...but wouldn't it be quicker if ye had one of the Holy See's blacksmiths pound one out? Hm, yer expression tells me there's a reason why ye came to me instead. Well, I ain't one to pry into the affairs of Ishgard. Don't fancy being branded a heretic, see. Also, I don't reckon I'd enjoy the view from the Gates of Judgement half so much if me head was on a pike. Anyroad, it's a spear named Gae Bolg that ye'll be wantin'. I've heard tell it's made of dragon bone, but how it's forged is a jealously guarded secret. Bein' the genius that I am, though, I reckon I can unravel the mystery if I could jus' get me hands on a sample. Now then, did ye ever hear of Saint Reinette, the legendary dragoon? I only ask 'cause she's s'posed to have wielded the very same weapon, see. Story goes that a dragon slew her sweetheart, promptin' the ol' girl to seek out the beast what did it an' put it down. Havin' exacted her revenge, they say she thrust her spear into the ground where the battle was waged, givin' up the life of a dragoon to become a woman of the cloth. Unlucky for ye, the valley where the spear sleeps is Ixali territory─a stronghold called Natalan, to be precise. But if yer desire's strong, I trust ye already know what must be done.[/quote']

Behold the drachen mail' date=' forged in the lifeblood of dragons. As blood calls to blood, so too does the armor call to the dragon within, redoubling the Azure Dragoon's strength thereby. When an Azure Dragoon hangs up his lance, ancient custom decrees that he seal away his drachen mail at the fields of his valor. You must journey to such places and claim the armor for yourself. Your Soul of the Dragoon will serve as the key to lifting the seals.[/quote']

You will recall the tale of my battle with Nidhogg fifteen years past, how the power of the dragon left me on account of the injuries I sustained. What I said was an untruth. The power did not abandon me, Sounsyy. It was I who abandoned it.

Being derived from our mortal enemies, the power of the Azure Dragoon is a double-edged sword. Even as it lends us the strength we need to smite dragons, it heightens our communion with the creatures, rendering our minds more susceptible to their seduction than ordinary men.

Even as I buried my lance in Nidhogg's flesh, our gazes locked, and mine eyes met then with a look that would fair impale a man. In that instant, I found myself assailed by a torrent of emotions not mine own… Sorrow… Rancor… Pity… They threatened to drown the man in me and leave behind a dragon. Fearing that I might turn traitor, I chose to purge myself of the power that the Eye had bestowed upon me.

Thus regaining lucidity, I was able to rout the grievously wounded Nidhogg. Alas, countless of his brethren yet remained. As if to mock me, they fell upon Ferndale with a vengeance. Bereft of my power, it was all I could do to save but one child.

Do you know the story of Saint Valeroyant? Ten score years ago' date=' he served as an Azure Dragoon, and won glory by driving away the great wyrm Nidhogg. This very square still bears his name, though his image has seen better days. He was an unrivaled warrior who dealt death to dragon after dragon, but there was one that always managed to slip his clutches - Agathos, feared across the land as the black death.[/quote']

Now then' date=' did ye ever hear of Saint Reinette, the legendary dragoon? I only ask 'cause she's s'posed to have wielded the very same weapon, see. Story goes that a dragon slew her sweetheart, promptin' the ol' girl to seek out the beast what did it an' put it down. Havin' exacted her revenge, they say she thrust her spear into the ground where the battle was waged, givin' up the life of a dragoon to become a woman of the cloth.[/quote']

The tale of Kain - the dragoon who abandoned his duty for honor - is well-known amongst Ishgardian children. To maximize height on his jumps' date=' the craftsman of his clockwork automaton lined the main control springs with over-aspected wind crystals.[/quote']

Let us revisit the past once more, Sounsyy. The time is fifteen summers past, and the place Dravania. After a century of slumber, Nidhogg awakened once more to resume his reign of terror. Entire villages were razed to the ground, their inhabitants reduced to ash.

Sensing the great wyrm's unbridled rage, others of his kind began to rouse, and in such numbers as to blot out the sun with their wings. A deep, foreboding darkness swept over Ishgard.

Raging infernos painting the belly of the sky an angry red… The agonized screams of innocents fading into deathly silence… In my station as the Azure Dragoon, I was there through it all - bore witness to all the horrors. But there was no time to offer even a silent prayer. Nidhogg lingered in one place only long enough to lay it to waste, and when he took wing, so too did I pursue him, a man possessed. This game of cat and mouse continued for what seemed an eternity before I was able to force a confrontation upon the great wyrm.

The battle unfolded in a tiny settlement on the edge of Coerthas, raging on for three days and three nights with neither side able to gain a decisive advantage. Remaining on my feet by sheer foce of will, I realized that it must end now else it shouldn't end well. So, marshaling my last onze of strenght, I wagered all on a single thrust. My lance struck home, burying deep in the ruin of my opponent's empty eye socket. Yet before I could withdraw my weapon, the wyrm lashed out wildly in its agony, dealing a blow that left me sprawled upon the scorched earth, nigh insensate. In that instant, I thought myself surely doomed…but Halone was not finished with me. Having lost the taste for battle, Nidhogg let loose a bloodcurdling roar before fleeing to the sky. The battle was over.

The Order of the Knights Dragoon

The Order of the Knights Dragoon is a group of elite Ishgardian knights who spend rigorous hours training to fight dragons. In order to be eligible, you must prove to the Holy See that you have personally slain a "genuine dragon," such as a wyrm or wyvern. This does not include dragons who were once people (aevis, syricta, diresaur) or unintelligent dragons or monsters under the control of dragon magicks (drakes, biasts, dragonflies, tyrannosaurs, etc). Most of these genuine dragons have names and reputations. To prove your kill, you must bring back a portion of the carcass.

The only way to gain the power of nobility is through a truly noble display of courage. There's one simple way to do that - slay a monstrous' date=' ancient dragon. There are some feats that cannot be ignored.[/quote']

Once you have slain a dragon, there is a certain amount of esteem and merit that often can elevate your caste to nobility in Ishgard. At the very least, you can now submit yourself for training in the Order of the Knights Dragoon. There are a series of trials one must first overcome before becoming a true dragoon, and only the elite among the elite dragoons go on to learn aerial maneuvers infamous in dragoon combat.

That said, playing a "dragoon" from the Order of the Knights Dragoon is considered lore abiding by the RP community, as anyone can join the Order if they pass the trials. They are accepting of lowborn, orphan, highborn, etc - though they do appear to prefer highborn applicants.

When we make our rounds to the Congregation's training facilities to choose hopefuls for the Knights Dragoon' date=' I have noticed the uptick in lowborn numbers among the new recruits. While it is good to give them the benefit of the doubt as their desperate situation allows them to take more risks than their highborn counterparts, sense it does not make to give candidates quality armor from the start—they have a nasty habit of dropping.[/quote']

Children who lose their fathers to the jagged maws of Dravanians make fine candidates for the ranks of the dragoons' date=' for theirs is a special contempt which cannot be found in the hearts of ordinary men. The commanders can oft tell who they are, and thus seek to nurture that hatred through painful sessions which force them to relive their nightmares. The ranks will be thinned out sure enough, hence we must make use of breeches tough enough to withstand the grazing of sharp teeth, but expendable enough for those who crack from the pressure.[/quote']

House Durendaire did not become known for the most powerful dragoons in Ishgard by blindly following old ways. Unlike many High Houses of that mistrustful theocracy' date=' it seeks new knowledge—such as whether a Lominsan harpoon can be adapted against an airborne beast.[/quote']

A dragon's natural armor may seem impenetrable to an untrained eye' date=' but a true dragoon knows well whence the vulnerabilities lie - a darkened spot, a bent plate, or if one is lucky, a barren patch. These days, too many youngbloods sign up for the training to join our noble ranks without showing a shred of decent talent, hence I have decided to thin out the crop through a trial. If the men can identify and destroy the spots on targets wrapped in scaleskin, they may continue their training. If they fail, they are to relinquish their weapon and accept pursuit of a less virtuous craft.[/quote']

We dragoons are a proud sort who often charge into the heat of battle' date=' but that is not to say discretion is without merit. When shadows abound, we sometimes make use of wooden dummies with arms and wings manipulated by gears which resemble dragons from afar, to create an illusion of comrades in the vicinity. However, we lack the material to replicate dragon scales. We seek an experienced adventurer willing to journey to the Churning Mists and skin Dravanians for this purpose.[/quote']

The candidates for the Knights Dragoon are always under intense pressure that leaves both their heads and faith pounding by the end of a training session' date=' to which some forget even the most common of sense. One of the youngbloods was daft enough to place his sallet next to a roped and very well-fed chocobo during his training respite. Needless to say, no amount of water or prayer is going to get the unholy smell of droppings and shame scraped out of the metal. He will need a replacement helmet posthaste.[/quote']

As their training forces the Knights Dragoon to respond violently to the screams of dragons' date=' the candidates to join the ranks prefer to use sallets of titanium. Rumor has it that not only is the headpiece as light as a feather, but as the wind blows through the crevices, it mimics such a wail and allows the wearer's hatred to course through their veins tenfold at the mere sound.[/quote']

The Ishgardian legend of Saint Daniffen tells us that the dragoon would oft practice his lancework on the shores of the mighty Coerthas River. To better his aim that it might always be true' date=' he sought only the nimblest of seema to serve as his marks.[/quote']

At last' date=' the final trials for the knights dragoon are upon us, and this year's candidates have proven to be the most propitious in quite a long time—all from fine bloodlines, all burning with acrimony towards their scaly adversaries. They call the trial a "mock battle," yet the only thing mocking about it is that their adversary is not a full-grown wyrm. They will have full reign to demonstrate their skills, thus the birth of a dragoon merits celebratory armor for use in the test.[/quote']

Elder members of the Knights Dragoon are known to prefer lances smithed from pommel ore' date=' a hard substance that, while difficult to wield, is believed to make the finest, sharpest heads. Unfortunately, the locations of the few remaining veins in Dravania were known only to the Sharlayans who took the information back with them to the Old World fifteen summers ago. If you were to find a vein of decent quality, I would pay much for the material.[/quote']

Among the aspiring Knights Dragoon are a talented few who practice jumping attacks in equipment crafted from adamantite' date=' the weight of which will help them to crush a dragon's skull as an eggshell. Alas, one such youth misstepped during his training and landed among the crags, breaking both his legs and armor in the impact. Though his injuries will heal, he requires a new pair of leg guards, and I would entrust none other but a skilled craftsman with the task.[/quote']

The dragoons of House Durendaire are on maneuvers' date=' and the deaths already begin to mount. Many are too fatigued to take much nourishment at the end of the day, and so succumb to cold, a fall, a thrust they may otherwise have parried. Steaming bowls of cawl cennin may make all the difference.[/quote']

In the words of Frandelont Raimdelle, "Know thy quarry, know thyself." So I've added a rather large section on dragon lore!

Original Dengeki Article

【電撃の旅団冒険録】『FF14』のダンジョンから見る世界観。第3弾は“邪竜血戦 ドラゴンズエアリー”

『蒼天のイシュガルド』の世界観を探るダンジョン掘り下げ企画第3弾。今回は邪竜ニーズヘッグの根城“ドラゴンズエアリー”に焦点を当て、邪竜の眷属の秘密に迫ります。

By 電撃オンライン

Thanks to tinolqa​ for finding this Dengeki article about an interview for the design of Aery which included some interesting lore! I was able to request from Anonymoose and Vik Vicious to offer a translation. This was an amateur speed translation so there may be some errors!

– What direction did you take with this dungeon’s concepts?

The basic concept was, “the place where Nidhogg and his brood live.” This is where the scenerio’s middle areas peaked, so we wanted it to be a little scary.

– When the people of Ishgard become dragons, is there a general role for what they will become?

In terms of how powerful they will become, it goes in order Aevis -> Syricta -> Diresaur. Think of it as depending on how much of the “factor of the dragon” they inherited.

Also, drinking “dragons blood” alone has no effect. It has to be “blood poured with great magick.”

Drinking the blood of a defeated dragon, or even taking draconian medicines, there will be no effect.

In the right doses it is perfectly safe, so adventurers and even the people of Ishgard should have peace of mind when using draconian medicines.

– In the FATE chain, Darkscale refers to “Nidhogg-sama.” So, he’s positioned below Nidhogg - not one of the seven celestial dragons?

Correct. Darkscale is not among the seven celestial dragons, he is of Nidhogg’s kin.

Midgardsormr revealed in his dialogue that after the Seven had grown, they flew all over the world. Hraesvelgr, Nidhogg, and Ratatoskr chose to live on the Three Great Continents. Bahamut and Tiamat decided to go to the southern continent of Meracydia.

The names and whereabouts of the last two have been decided, but will not be revealed until later.

– The terminology for dragon (kin / follower / family) is often used, but what do they include?

It’s explanation is included in quests and such, but it’s spread out and can be confusing so I’ll go over it again. There are three basic groups in the “dragon broods.” They are the “genuine dragons,” the “people who became dragons,” and the “monsters who submit to dragon magicks.”

The “genuine dragons” are evolving creatures, so their figures will vary - but they are all intelligent.

The “people who become dragons” are the aevis and syricta and such.

Finally, we have drakes and biasts, dragonflies, and tyrannosaurs. They lack intelligence. They are basically bound, mindless monsters. The intense magickal power of the dragons causes them to submit, and though they obey and work together, they are not genuine dragons.

– In Errn Scorh, dragons appear one after another from the [glowing things]. What is that? How does that work from an in-game world-view? Egg Hatching + Hypergrowth Mechanisms? Summoning?

For dragons, across hundreds of years you have active phases and dormant phases. You can interpret these as devices that protect the body during a dormant stage. They were slumbering in that place and suddenly aroused by the magicks of Nidhogg. The sudden battle was very unfortunate for them, wouldn’t you say?

– For the seven celestial dragons, it is said that their eyes are the wellspring of their power. Is this only true for the seven?

The amassing of aether in the eyes is a characteristic of the whole dragon family. If one lived as long as one of the Seven Celestial Dragons, they might, in theory, have comparable power.

– Finally if you know something that “hasn’t been told in the game,” by all means, tell us!

It’s become a bit of a rumor that, in the Aery, you can see what look like debris of Allagan restraints. But that just blew off of Dalamud in the Seventh Calamity. It’s an interesting fate that one of the things that once bound Bahamut would end up here, isn’t it?

Sohm Al Lore

What was the design concept for this dungeon?

One of the major themes in Heavensward is reproducing the feeling of the “Party’s Journey” from classic Final Fantasy games. In the middle of this journey, there should be some dungeon that the party must overcome in order to make it to a new area. We felt that the “dungeon in the mountain” motif was the right fit for this expansion.

It’s the perfect setting for this subject - think back to early games: Mount Ordeals from IV, North Mountain V, and Mount Koltz VI. This story is about traveling to the dragon lands, so we made this particular mountain dungeon a sacred place where the dragons go to die.

We know that Tioman is Nidhogg’s consort, but what is she other than a dungeon boss? What kind of background information exists for her?

We should start with the fact that dragons don’t have a traditional concept of gender. They can reproduce alone, asexually. And after a dragon is born, over the course of a long life, their form changes radically.

For creatures such as these, a “mate” doesn’t mean “a partner for reproduction” like it does for other organisms. It’s more of a deep and spiritual bond. Even in the bond between the dragon Hraesvelgr and the human Shiva, the spiritual connection is what was important.

In the same vein, even though Tioman is presented as a “female dragon” that is Nidhogg’s “consort,” this means that she is the most important being in his life, spiritually. And it’s still slightly different from a human concept like “marriage.” These terms will probably be explored in the game, as well, as relations between man and dragon improve.

Can you give us some background lore for the new monsters we encounter? What are the gaelicats, the boss Raskovnik, and the caterpillars from Final Fantasy 11?

Gaelicats are drawn to wind aether and dark places, which is why you’ll find them in places like the Sea of Clouds and Sohm Al. Poisonous plants, including the ochu and Raskovnik, are eaten by the dragons that spit poisonous breaths (moss dragons) in order to build up the toxins within their body, and the caterpillars graze on the area’s vegetation.

Sohm Al has a lot of distinctive locations with names like the Red Crype, the Blue Crypt, the Wound, etc. How were places like this designed?

As mentioned earlier, a dragon’s form will “evolve” quite a bit over a very long time. If they favor fire, they will grow to breathe it - their scales will grow red. Such a dragon would prefer to die in a place where the attribute of fire is very strong - this is the Red Crypt. The Blue Crypt is just the opposite, a place where the element of ice is very strong.

Sohm Al itself is a mountain of crystal, and the elemental aspect tips differently in every area, creating distictive scenery.

Tioman’s arena is called “Hess Afah.” This is Dragonspeak, yes? What does it mean?

“Hess” means “to observe,” and “"afah” means “forever.” A name for this area might be “Eternal Watch.” Tioman is the guardian of a sanctuary, so the name implies that it’s a place from which she is on the lookout for intruders.

If there’s anything we haven’t learned from the game that we might find interesting, please tell us!

Remember how I mentioned that we used the old-school “dungeon in a mountain” motif? North Mountain and Drakenvale from FF5, where the Dragon Grass grows, was the inspiration behind the placement of Gaelicats and poisonous plants. In addition to Sohm Al feeling like a sacred place for the dragons, we hope that you feel a bit of mountain dungeon nostalgia, too.

Q:

How are dragon names decided? Many of the dragons in and around Anyx Trine have names made from words in from the dragon language, but there are others--Vidofnir, Vedrfolnir, Gullinkambi--who have names taken from Norse Mythology like Midgardsormr and his children's are. Is there a reason they have their own unique names? Are names like this earned?

A:

Every dragon has a name in the base draconian tongue, including the more prominent figures such as Bahamut, Vidofnir, Midgardsormr, etc. The 'Eorzean' names have been earned through the dragons' interactions with past civilizations. The elder dragons (especially those of Midgardsormr's first brood) have spent thousand (tens-of-thousands) of years roaming about Hydaelyn. During that time, they have come in contact with many different peoples--some primitive, some advanced. Some with which they warred, some with which they fostered peace. Those peoples gave the dragons names in their own tongues. Some were based on existing words in those tongues, while others were phonetic interpretations, bastardizations, and subsequent degradations of a language that they could not accurately pronounce. These names took hold amongst the people of Eorzea, being passed down orally and in print, and effectively became the second names of the dragons. Rather than fight this, it was ultimately easier for the dragons to simply allow man to call them what they wished. Some of the dragons have even grown fond of these names, choosing to use them even when speaking with other dragons (who would otherwise know them by their draconian names).

Q:

Will we hear about the 2 remaining dragons of Midgardsormr's First Brood during the Heavensward story-line, or at all?

A:

The remaining two dragons of the first brood are alive and well...but remain far removed from all the action in Eorzea. Where are they? Why are they there? Why are they not interested in the happenings in Eorzea with their kin? Why don't their kin in Eorzea mention them? All excellent questions...but unfortunately ones we cannot yet give you answers for, as their stories are being saved for future content. So, what does 'future' mean here? Well, I've spoken Oda-san, and I'm sorry to report that there are currently no plans to have either of the wyrms appear in the Heavensward (3.x) story-line. That isn't to say that they won't appear (you never know what Yoshi-P will bring to a future patch brainstorming session), but chances are decent that you won't be hearing about them for some time. However, you never know what sliver of foreshadowing you might find in the help text of an upcoming item or minion (just not in the help text of a 3.2 item or minion).

-Fernehalwes Dragonspeak Guide and Dragon Lore

Now, what's going to happen to Dragoons after the events of 3.3?

Well' date=' if it isn't the great Warrior of Light herself! She who slew the dread wyrm Nidhogg, bringing an end to a thousand years of war - [i']and my very livelihood![/i] Well, go on then - strike me down and finish the job! Stab me right in the heart! I'll even lend you my spear, if you like! After all, I won't be bloody needing it!

Oh, and lest you worry, that business about me losing my livelihood couldn't have been further from the truth. In point of fact, peace is proving surprisingly lucrative! As our nation's ties with Hraesvelgr's brood have grown stronger and our interests in Dravania have begun to expand, we have seen a marked increase in the number of travelers on the road. Needless to say, said travelers require protection, which we are only too happy to provide. Granted, such work will not earn you a lordship like slaying a dragon might, but it pays well and is far less prone to end in incineration - which seems a reasonable enough compromise, all things considered.

Hope this helps! ^^ Here are some other links to relevant Ishgardian lore threads. Lemme know if you have more questions!

-Ishgardian Lore Compilation

-Ishgardian High House Lore Compilation

-Heavensward & Temple Knights Lore

Hope this helps! ^^

In reality, Thordan and his Knights Twelve sought to harness the power of dragons. They learned that the eyes of a dragon were the source of their power and magic, so they betrayed Ratatoskr, sister of Nidhogg, and feasted on her eyes. Empowered by her magic, Thordan's Knights fought the enraged Nidhogg and bested him, prizing out his eyes also, but at great cost. Thordan was slain as well as six of the twelve knights.

Unable to bear their sins, two of the six knights abandoned their lances and journeyed into the world. Haldrath, himself, left Ishgard to live alone and give up his father's throne. At a loss, the four remaining knights decided to act as stewards to the throne and divide Ishgard between their houses, Durendaire, Haillenarte, Fortemps, and Dzemael.

Fair enough.

Wouldn't it be more along the model of the Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly being the encompassing entity around all the other militaries (Templars, Friars, etc)?

Fair enough.

Wouldn't it be more along the model of the Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly being the encompassing entity around all the other militaries (Templars, Friars, etc)?

The Congregation is just the building in which the knights congregate. Unfortunately, we can't use it as an umbrella term.

You stand before the Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly - the headquarters of we knights who have sworn to serve the Holy See.

Fair enough.

The Congregation is just the building in which the knights congregate. Unfortunately, we can't use it as an umbrella term.

You stand before the Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly - the headquarters of we knights who have sworn to serve the Holy See.

Sir, are you a part of the FFXIV lore team?

Ok, so after digging through all of that I have one more question regarding dragoon soulstones - if they are handed to a specific person by the Holy See are they also bound to that person (like they would be of any use only to the original owner)? I know it's not the case with WoL, but it's WoL so I'd rather ask.

Ok, so after digging through all of that I have one more question regarding dragoon soulstones - if they are handed to a specific person by the Holy See are they also bound to that person (like they would be of any use only to the original owner)? I know it's not the case with WoL, but it's WoL so I'd rather ask.

Soulstones can reach an affinity with certain people, but they do not bind in the strictest sense. Soulstones, in and of themselves, are simply crystals which, over the course of many years are imbued with the soul of their wielder, recording memories and emotions and aether. It's similar to spiritbonding from a lore standpoint. When the original owner of the soulstone dies, a portion of the spirit lives on within the stone and may later resonate with another user who the stone feels kinship to.

But this applies beyond just the WoL. The 50+ PLD questline is actually goes into a little more detail on soulstone lore and how they can be passed on. For instance, your companion finds the soulstone of Jhal Tristram, the very first Paladin. It resonates with him and he is able to wield it. But you later find out that Jhal Tristram's soulstone was originally embedded in the hilt of Oathkeeper, a sword passed down from Sultansworn captain to captain for 600 years. That particular soulstone carries the deeds of all of those captains.