"Sort of" new to RP on FFXIV

Hi there! So, I've been playing the game on and off since ARR launched, always with the intention of RPing at some point.  I used to RP a lot back when I played WoW, and still do outside of MMOs, so I'm not exactly new to that, but I am inexperienced with FFXIV RP, and have only managed to engage in it a few times since I joined.

The problem is my character can be pretty introverted, and isn't exactly the type to go engage strangers in conversation without good reason, so much of my time IC involves sitting around populated areas, not really knowing what to do except sit there and watch others talk.  I'm also pretty shy and still a bit shaky with bits of the lore, so not incredibly confident.

So if there are any people, free companies or linkshells that'll help me out, please give me a shout. :)

One of my tried-and-true methods to get shier characters into conversation is to attend an event and comment on what's going on, even if it's half-absently to yourself. Wondering out loud and having others jump in to begin conversation can work anywhere there's something to watch and comment on!

I know Crescent has a few things on the Calendar and they're pretty great locations to meet people and hang out. Sign up OOCly for the dance mixer and it gives you an easy in for RP, being flummoxed over being forced out of your shell while also getting to 1) meet new people and 2) make an impression.

One of my tried-and-true methods to get shier characters into conversation is to attend an event and comment on what's going on, even if it's half-absently to yourself. Wondering out loud and having others jump in to begin conversation can work anywhere there's something to watch and comment on!

I know Crescent has a few things on the Calendar and they're pretty great locations to meet people and hang out. Sign up OOCly for the dance mixer and it gives you an easy in for RP, being flummoxed over being forced out of your shell while also getting to 1) meet new people and 2) make an impression.

That sounds great, thanks.  I'll try that when I log in later this evening. How exactly do I sign up for it?

Some various resources:

This is a link to Nefzen's linkshell that announces events. Nef is good people, and also created this handy collection of calendar items.

Crescent is holding a Beach party next Saturday with a "Dance Roulette" as a part of it, and they're also doing host club type event that's happening TONIGHT.

Questions pertaining to those sorts of events are best aimed at the threads themselves, or if you're a Tumblry sort you can probably poke them over on that website. As a reminder there is a forum dedicated to events right here.

There's a lot going on on Balmung!

Some various resources:

This is a link to Nefzen's linkshell that announces events. Nef is good people, and also created this handy collection of calendar items.

Crescent is holding a Beach party next Saturday with a "Dance Roulette" as a part of it, and they're also doing host club type event that's happening TONIGHT.

Questions pertaining to those sorts of events are best aimed at the threads themselves, or if you're a Tumblry sort you can probably poke them over on that website. As a reminder there is a forum dedicated to events right here.

There's a lot going on on Balmung!

Thanks! It's a shame but I'm in the UK so that event tonight will be impossible for me, 'cause it'll be 3am.  But I'll keep an eye on future events.

Hey, I used to be a lot like you. I started roleplaying on World of Warcraft, I don't know if you were ever on Wyrmrest Accord or Moon Guard server, but I was on both of them quite frequently. I switched to Final Fantasy and was sort of overwhelmed, having to learn new lore and such. I would just sit in the Quicksand when I first started roleplaying on Balmung, not really sure of what to do. I see that your character might possibly be a lalafell based on your profile picture? I'd love for my lalafell to have more lalafriends, if you know what I mean lol. I'm always surrounded by tall folk. Also, my FC Bulwark is recruiting. They're a great group of people, love RPing with them and they're more than willing to help out. Here's a link to their website: http://bulwarkffxivrp.enjin.com/ Welcome! And I hope you have a good experience on this game.

Hey, I used to be a lot like you. I started roleplaying on World of Warcraft, I don't know if you were ever on Wyrmrest Accord or Moon Guard server, but I was on both of them quite frequently. I switched to Final Fantasy and was sort of overwhelmed, having to learn new lore and such. I would just sit in the Quicksand when I first started roleplaying on Balmung, not really sure of what to do. I see that your character might possibly be a lalafell based on your profile picture? I'd love for my lalafell to have more lalafriends, if you know what I mean lol. I'm always surrounded by tall folk. Also, my FC Bulwark is recruiting. They're a great group of people, love RPing with them and they're more than willing to help out. Here's a link to their website: http://bulwarkffxivrp.enjin.com/ Welcome! And I hope you have a good experience on this game.

Awesome, thanks! As a matter of fact I managed to actually RP and find a FC last night, so it was pretty eventful! Though I'm not looking for FCs I'd still like more Lala-Friends (as you say).  If you see me around, don't hesitate to IM me or just walk up.

:)