Who are the Bilbiothecs

I just wanted to confirm things before I decide on writing. IIRC the Bilbiothecs are a faction in Sharlayan that are characterized by the hoarding of knowledge, being Sharlayan's ruling party and are also the antagonists of the AST questline. Is this correct and what else do we know about them?

I just wanted to confirm things before I decide on writing. IIRC the Bilbiothecs are a faction in Sharlayan that are characterized by the hoarding of knowledge, being Sharlayan's ruling party and are also the antagonists of the AST questline. Is this correct and what else do we know about them?

Just one quick correction. The Forum is the ruling government body of Sharlayan. The Bibliothecs are but one political party within Sharlayan. They are perhaps the majority faction and thus hold a lot of sway on policies, but it is the Forum that holds the final say. Even Sevestre, the leader of the Bibliothec Party is at their mercy.

Sevestre─leader of the Bibliothecs─a powerful group of conservative fundamentalists who seek to control the whole of Sharlayan's knowledge. They believe that our people should not become involved in history' date=' only be witness to it. Then analyze it until all the lives lived and lost are but numbers on a page. You may remember Sevestre, Jannequinard, because he was the selfsame man who pushed for old Sharlayan to batten its doors and abandon Eorzea...and used my father's death as his rallying cry. And now I am certain that he had my father killed. Near the end of my father's diary, he mentions being contacted by a young Sevestre, who happened to be a classmate of his when they were both at the Studium. Sevestre, looking to make a name for himself as a politician, warned my father against continuing to disseminate knowledge of Sharlayan astrology in Eorzea. A warning my father, of course, did not heed. Soon after, several attempts were made upon my father's life. When he subsequently looked into the matter, he discovered that there was a price on his head...and that Sevestre had put it there. I discovered a contract signed by the wretch folded in my father's journal. He had planned on revealing it to the Forum on his return... But he never had the chance.[/quote']

But this man is the leader of the Bibliothecs─their sole purpose in life is the hoarding of knowledge.

The barbarians of this realm have shown that they can only use knowledge to destroy each other. They corrupt it. They lessen it. And then they forget it. They never once have shown they are worthy of the knowledge they so defile. And yet you would still give it to them. Very well. I shall do as you ask. But know that the Forum is ever listening' date=' ever watching. Should you continue your escapades here in Ishgard, they will find out. And they will send others until they have succeeded where I have...failed.[/quote']

Which means it will not be long before the Forum has heard as well. We Sharlayans may have officially abandoned this realm' date=' but our ears remain. Things changed after you left, Jannequinard. Many even believe it was my father's death that tipped the scales in favor of closing Sharlayan's doors and locking away all our knowledge. If the Forum deems it so, I could be arrested and imprisoned for “the theft of national resources.” And I see no reason why your Holy See, who has already shown its disdain for our efforts, would stand in its way.[/quote']

More lore on Sharlayan can be found here! Hope that helps!