Going Lalafell, distinct decline in RP?

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've been noticing something peculiar.When Lami was a miqo'te, or even an Au Ra, either I could walk up to people and RP with them with no problem, or they would come up to me to initiate. This happened surprisingly, VERY frequently.

However, now that I've gone Lalafell, it's like I've entered the damn desert! Hardly anyone messages anymore, very few people (if any) seem to approach for RP.. and whenever I approach, either I'm ignored (or not noticed), or some people have blatantly said 'Sorry, I don't want Lalafells in this RP' (even though it was non-mature).

Could someone explain this seeming racism or whatever to me? Please!!? As silly as it might sound, it's left me a bit distraught and made me a bit spooked of approaching anyone because I'm nervous I'm gonna get pushed away T.T

It's definitely there, but to what extent and what severity seems to vary from person to person.

You ought to also consider that perhaps using Fantasia to switch race, rather than change to an entirely different character concept, stifled some interest from RP partners, because it makes it difficult to reconcile the fact that your character suddenly is another race, and it sounds like it's happened before. In comparison, while it might not be what you're personally going for story-wise, it seems like a lot of people have an easier time with just interacting with a totally fresh character that was Lalafell from the start. 

That being said, people will try to downplay it, but I do agree with you and I've experienced it. The only real solution is to be very assertive in finding RP partners that you can work with.

Yeah, it can be bad. I've seen people go from IC to pretend-AFK the moment I walked up to them. My name probably doesn't help, but still. Their loss.

Just from personal experience, people are a lot less likely to take lalafell seriously too. This is all in random RP, though. I'm sure if you planned ahead of time with people you would never run into this issue.

But yeah, people don't want lalafell in their RP. Is it because they're not interested in fucking them? Might be. I'd say that's the case a good quarter of the time in the Quicksand. Otherwise, who knows.

Even amongst my friends, it took a while for them to take my lala character seriously. I just kept acting like a serious adult and they came around. I'll definitely RP with lalas, but will steer clear of those that play them as children or super silly mode just due to me not being keen on that style of RP (at that point, race doesn't matter).

I do agree with Baby on this, perhaps many people do sexualize all RP interactions (whether they overtly say it or not) and thinking that way towards a race built like human toddlers squicks them out.

I've often wondered though... are certain types of people drawn towards the different races? There's a striking difference between the crowd on my lalafell LS and the group on the Roe LS I'm on, for example.

It's disappointing that people would do that on a frequent basis just because your character is a Lalafel. Personally, I'd never turn away a chance at RP based on the race of the other player, but like the other said before me, I'd imagine it has something to do the more ERP inclined roleplayers around the Quicksand not wanting to get into... things... with a lalafel?

Either way, yeah... Thats both disappointing and odd. They might look small but they're not children and I don't know why people can't get their heads around that idea. They're often portrayed as quite clever and scheming in the game, so thats just a player misconception I guess.

I don't see Lalafel as non-serious, and I've met a couple of roleplayers who play them just like any other character. Its a shame that others are being so weird about it. I'm sure its their loss but I can see how it'd be frustrating coming up against that over and over again.

I don't know. People can be dumb... I guess...

It still boggles my mind that in a world where Lalafells are in positions of power, make up many different guilds such as the Pugilist's and Marauder's, and are known to or believed to have made up some of the more powerful civilizations such as Mhach and Belah'dia, we still have players who treat Lalafells as if they've accomplished absolutely nothing in their rps. That they're just little guys who run around and get eaten by Goobues.

The goddamned Bull of Ala Migho has a Lalafell riding shotgun on his shoulder out of respect and admiration for her accomplishments and her position, for Twelve's sake. And he looks like this. 

latest?cb=20130407182937

I'm not saying it's impossible to disregard this in a realistic sense, but all of it seems to be a meta issue, and not something that would be entirely backed up by the established game's canon. And I hate to bring canon into this, but seriously, to ignore the accomplishments of the Lalafell is to disregard a metric fuckton of the aspects of the settings in which your character supposedly exists in. Your character has to be some kind of ignorant to act this way, I feel.

Either way, yeah... Thats both disappointing and odd. They might look small but they're not children and I don't know why people can't get their heads around that idea. They're often portrayed as quite clever and scheming in the game, so thats just a player misconception I guess.

Thinking about this, lalafell are also commonly portrayed in-game as overtly sexual more than even miqo'te, so the lack of lalafell floozy's and lewd lads running around is also probably a result of player bias.

Player bias might also have to do with some players playing their lalafell non-seriously (nothing wrong with that), or some people even using them as stand-ins for children of other races. So unless your search info is specific, people might avoid lalafell just so they don't have to chance what they don't jive with.

Which is silly if you're doing open RP in my opinion, but oh well. Seriously. Their loss!

For what it's worth, Steel adores Lalas as the masters of their craft they can be. She admires Koporo and Chachan greatly. Her injuries were tended by a Lalafellian doctor in her FC. And she's a very outward-acting Roe. So if she can acknowledge the Lalafell for what they are, then anyone should.

This really does seem to be a matter of needing to cultivate one's RP circle to weed out those who believe them to be children or are only looking for waifu pillows. Really, the less thought devoted to why the better. Just my two gil, anyrate.

Lalafells are rare enough that finding some that have good RP and something believable in the frame of the lore is... hard. I lack of lala/elezen/roe RP in a general manner, which isn't surprising.

I have unfortunately seem lots of lala players being absolute obnoxious trolls ingame though. We are fortunate that Balmung and FF in general are pretty much empty of people coming to troll RPers around, but the rare occurences that occured was with lala trolls in my experience.

You know, they show up out of nowhere and play little imps, intrude in your RP by just sitting on your table and listening to the scene, and emoting ridiculous laughs so that it destroys all immersion pretty instantly when you are in the middle of something interesting. I had one of those lately when we moved somewhere else that got pretty creepy and ask me what the story was all about in a very insisting manner. It weirded me out.

That, is probably very detrimental to lala RPers as well.

It's definitely there, but to what extent and what severity seems to vary from person to person.

You ought to also consider that perhaps using Fantasia to switch race, rather than change to an entirely different character concept, stifled some interest from RP partners, because it makes it difficult to reconcile the fact that your character suddenly is another race, and it sounds like it's happened before. In comparison, while it might not be what you're personally going for story-wise, it seems like a lot of people have an easier time with just interacting with a totally fresh character that was Lalafell from the start. 

That being said, people will try to downplay it, but I do agree with you and I've experienced it. The only real solution is to be very assertive in finding RP partners that you can work with.

Lamiaris is about as popular as a restauraunt's damn secret dish, honey. She's obscure as all hell and those that know about her are literally just... 'Meh' about her. There was VERY little worry about inconsistency when it came to changing her; I knew that hardly anyone would even notice, hence why I did it C:

It took a little time to decide on it actually; I made sure that no one really KNEW her and that there were no other factours before I did so.

My friend has felt this as well. He played a lovely little lala gent that wrote stories and often would talk to people to acquire new stories.

He tried to get out there, but was often dismissed. Either as a child or just completely ignored. Broke my heart because I loved the character.

When I experimented with Sol Agrias a couple months back there was a definite decline in RP due to the already mentioned Player Bias. Lalafells IC and OOC are viewed as either pets or pests which is not far off from how we see rodents. Yeah there are those who get really weird with them but that's not much different from how weird people get with other races. It's just really silly to me people consider Lalafells the worst in any form. I love Lalafellin characters and think they can add an interesting spin to RP.

"Don't hate, don't discriminate." should probably be that good ol' counter quip. lol

To echo some points made already; it's hard to take Lalafell seriously. You oft encounter either the cutesy wootsy silly childlike type, the moustache twirling villain, or the weird ERP Diapered Lalafell. Most of my experiences with Lala have almost always been awkward.

People also like to invest time in another person's character if they can see them as a potential fling somewhere down the line. I can only assume many roleplayers don't find Lalafell desirable in that way.

I personally would love to see more fierce/mature Lalafell being played -- and not personalities that are a reflection of their childlike appearance.

The goddamned Bull of Ala Migho has a Lalafell riding shotgun on his shoulder out of respect and admiration for her accomplishments and her position, for Twelve's sake. And he looks like this.

What accomplishments? Nanamo is a horrible example imho.

Krile, Lolorito, Teledji, Papalymo, Dewlala, Papashan, THM Brothers etc. are all accomplished in their own right. Nanamo just inherited her position as a royal figurehead that lacks any meaningful power to enact change due to the Syndicate.

Whilst it isn't a secret that lalafell characters have struggles, I would just like to say that persistence can pay off. My main character Nailah for example, doesn't like most lalafell - this is based on several unfortunate events which have unfolded in the time I've been rping her. She has met many lalafells that were annoying, acting like kids or have had a racial bias towards her as a highlander. It doesn't mean that I don't RP with lalafells, but it does mean that in for example a social environment, Nailah isn't going to be the one who walks up to a lalafell and initiates conversation. She even has a few lalafell among her contacts, which are the ones that proved her views wrong by persistently interacting with her in ways that weren't what she'd expected. 

I think it's completely alright to play characters that have an IC (

In general I think lalafell characters can be played very well, I especially like to see them played as not comic-relief characters but as serious characters. Doesn't mean they have to be serious all the time, mind. You may face some adversity from some people, but keep on trying, don't get completely demotivated by five people blanking you. There might be more to it than just an ooc dislike, and if there isn't then perhaps those people aren't the ones you want to be rping with anyways?

It really comes down to what people have said.  Out of the races in game, Lalafell hold the highest chance of being trollplayers.  Those folks that are obviously out to troll and bother you, but the moment you call them out, cry about how "I was just IC!  It is how my character is!".  

As well, as others pointed out, there are those who sexualize Lalafell in completely creepy ways.  Or they just act like utter creeps.  Such as, I've learned that on a roe lady?  Don't wear a dress.  Doesn't matter where I go (as in, it happens outside the Quicksand), I will have a lala target me and walk under the dress.  Typically followed by either an emote or a tell about how they are looking up my lady's dress/skirt.

So yeah, after pretty much -all- my experiences with Lalafell falling into one of those categories?  I am hesitant to rp with them.

Yea, most of my Lalafell experiences have been pretty bad outside of my FC.

That being said, one of my very first random roleplay on Balmung was with a Lalafell and it was the best interaction I've had in a good while back then. I regret not adding him to my friend's list and I do not remember his name. :(

It really comes down to what people have said.  Out of the races in game, Lalafell hold the highest chance of being trollplayers.  Those folks that are obviously out to troll and bother you, but the moment you call them out, cry about how "I was just IC!  It is how my character is!".  

As well, as others pointed out, there are those who sexualize Lalafell in completely creepy ways.  Or they just act like utter creeps.  Such as, I've learned that on a roe lady?  Don't wear a dress.  Doesn't matter where I go (as in, it happens outside the Quicksand), I will have a lala target me and walk under the dress.  Typically followed by either an emote or a tell about how they are looking up my lady's dress/skirt.

So yeah, after pretty much -all- my experiences with Lalafell falling into one of those categories?  I am hesitant to rp with them.

That being said, one of my very first random roleplay on Balmung was with a Lalafell and it was the best interaction I've had in a good while back then. I regret not adding him to my friend's list and I do not remember his name. :(

Arg... that really sucks. :(

While I certainly understand the reaction, I do wish that lalas wouldn't be painted with the same broad brush. I mean, what can I do to change attitudes? :/ I RP Ralin with the same thoughtfulness I do all of my characters, but to not be given a chance? ._.

(On my old server, I changed my gameplay main from midlander to lala for about half a year. Had someone, a friend at that, spam the disgust emote at me whenever he saw me from then on. I've had folks on Balmung talk about hurting or killing my lala alt and joke about how I can't possibly hurt them back. It's funny the first time, but gets old fast. I've definitely been on the receiving end of some lala hate. lol.)

While I certainly understand the reaction, I do wish that lalas wouldn't be painted with the same broad brush. I mean, what can I do to change attitudes? :/ I RP Ralin with the same thoughtfulness I do all of my characters, but to not be given a chance? ._.

(On my old server, I changed my gameplay main from midlander to lala for about half a year. Had someone, a friend at that, spam the disgust emote at me whenever he saw me from then on. I've had folks on Balmung talk about hurting or killing my lala alt and joke about how I can't possibly hurt them back. It's funny the first time, but gets old fast. I've definitely been on the receiving end of some lala hate. lol.)

I do always give everyone a chance! I don't frequent Ul'dah, so I generally don't encounter many Lalafell at all. (Don't really see them in fair Limsa!)

Unfortunately I know the hate.  I used to play both blood elves and pandaren in WoW, and both were on the receiving side of a fair amount of player bias.

The best thing that I can suggest doing?  Is honestly just start slowly.  Make friends with people OOC, and reassure them that your lala is not the same as others.  Then, roleplay with them in public.  People will see that, and honestly?  It will stick in their brain.  They may not put you on their friend's list or anything, but chances are they will at least think twice the next time they run into you.  Which is at least a start.

But in the end, and here is where the jaded cynical side of me speaks.  You just cannot change public opinion easily.  Or even effectively.  There are too many lala out there who are perfectly content to play the creeper.  And there are too many out there to play the troll.  Until the ratio changes, to where the majority are not creepy little trolls?  Then yeah, the hate will not change.  And right now?  Lalas are creepy little trolls, by a wide wide WIDE margin.

Unfortunately I know the hate.  I used to play both blood elves and pandaren in WoW, and both were on the receiving side of a fair amount of player bias.

The best thing that I can suggest doing?  Is honestly just start slowly.  Make friends with people OOC, and reassure them that your lala is not the same as others.  Then, roleplay with them in public.  People will see that, and honestly?  It will stick in their brain.  They may not put you on their friend's list or anything, but chances are they will at least think twice the next time they run into you.  Which is at least a start.

But in the end, and here is where the jaded cynical side of me speaks.  You just cannot change public opinion easily.  Or even effectively.  There are too many lala out there who are perfectly content to play the creeper.  And there are too many out there to play the troll.  Until the ratio changes, to where the majority are not creepy little trolls?  Then yeah, the hate will not change.  And right now?  Lalas are creepy little trolls, by a wide wide WIDE margin.

I'd be able to examine whether your assertion at the end there was fact if I met a sufficient number of actual Lalafell RPers rather than whatever it is people find in the QS. Whether it's justified or not, I don't really have a statistically significant basis to know or judge. Which is fine, since it's immaterial to me calling that assertion irrational and impossible to prove. 

Most of the time, when I read another Lalafell's search info, it is exclusively an ERPer, a PVE character, or an alt. There are trolls and creepers in every race, but because there are so few actual Lalafell RPers, they make a convenient target for assertions like "you're all creepy little trolls" because there are insufficient numbers to go beyond selection bias; you only ever meet a few in your time playing the game, and so results can differ wildly. Since we're so uncommon, I'd be interested in figuring out how you came to the conclusion that the majority are trolls and creeps. I've not been counting other Lalafell players, myself, since it's kinda pointless, and the acquaintances I know who regularly play I can count with one hand.

It's one of the consequences of going against the grain, and I've accepted that I'm not going to get as much RP as other players do by being pretty or badass-looking. That being said, what you're doing is punching down on a smaller group that can't defend itself from accusation, for things that are common to basically every category of player, every race. 

I don't like the whole "guilty until proven innocent approach." In the first place, talking about an entire race and the players who prefer it gives the false impression that there's some sort of monolithic Lalafell club that is constantly looking up skirts. There is no Lalafell community, just like there's no secret Dragon or Cat club, just loose bonds of connections of convenience and friendship. Players of similar style and sense might stick together, but there's really only sheer numbers vs numbers of individuals, and there are less Lalafell individuals to choose from. Since there's so few Lalafell, if you meet one jerk, you're unlikely to meet another who is a serious enough RPer to even the score. Who will even challenge your assumptions?

I understand that you've had a bad experience or two, and I'm sorry for that. I've met creepy players and trolls, and in both cases they were whatever race the player felt like using. Usually they weren't RPers at all. Even so, I wish I could better understand the feelings behind the general atmosphere of apprehension common to RPC players. I've only experienced one big drama bomb, so I have a lot of trouble relating to the feeling that "all players of a certain type are this way," or "I can't RP in public because I'm scared of this thing happening." To me it is terribly sad. But far worse is the fact that I can't say anything to reassure or improve people's moods for lack of my own context.

To be frank, though, while I have my stereotypes, and I've certainly been mistreated by other RPers, I've never held strangers responsible for their actions, and I refuse to do so. If they don't want to play with me because of my race, that's fine. Any number of selfish reasons, like not feeling they fit into personal headcanon or obsession with realism, I'll gladly accept. But I'd like for them to not blame me for the actions of others. Neither do I want to be lumped in with others who share my own displeasure at your statement either. I dislike it for my own reasons, because I think it's irrational, divisive and damaging to other players. I would say the same thing even if it wasn't my race.

If the impression you get of another category of player is negative, and you say things like your last line as if it is a statement of fact, please reconsider your opinion. Consider how many RPers you've met who fit that description outside of the race, and how few Lalafell you've actually encountered. Look inward first, then outward. Consider whether your judgment has any basis or if it's just the aftershocks of a few bad evenings. 

If you know the hate, you must know how it feels. Why would you go about worsening that kind of behavior when you yourself understand what it means to make an unpopular choice of character or race? I hate the Pandaren, for instance, but were I playing that game, I would never begrudge someone their choice of it. (Unless I felt they were doing a one-panda Chinese minstrel show, but that's another debate entirely.) Think about what you're saying. You're demanding that all players who prefer a certain kind of aesthetic prove they're not predators or bullies. Does that seem reasonable to you in any other context? Would you have felt it was fair that everyone assumed you were culturally insensitive for picking Pandaren? What is inherently harmful about our choice of race?

Caspar, I stand fully by what I said.  It is what I have experienced, and how I both view the subject matter and how I choose to play.  Kinda sorry not sorry that it seems to have bothered you so much?  But in the end, yeah.  After bad experiences with creeps, I tend to take a:  "Show me you are different, and I will happily rp with you" viewpoint.  Maybe that is not the nicest way to play, but it saves me drama in the game.

Beyond that, I offered what I thought was actually a decent solution.  You have to show that you are different, when public opinion and thought says things are of a specific way.  It sucks, but that is just life.

However this is the last I am going to post here.  It is getting towards the more argumentative side of discussion, at least in my eyes.  So if you would like to continue, feel free to send a PM.  Otherwise, I am not going to clog up a person's thread.

Aw man, I feel for you. I played Altmer in TESO, it was a huge struggle to not be seen as a designated villain - I had a particularly memorable incident where my priestess character was talking politely to an (also Altmer) military officer at a market, and like three different Khajiit guards came up and went "Not making any trouble are you?!" It ended up being this kind of embarrassing scene with several guards because two dang elves were having tea and conversation.

My suggestion would be to just keep trying - eventually you'll run into people who are actually decent, and the ones who go "omg no lalafels pls" or ignore you, honestly, probably aren't worth RPing with in the first place.

Caspar, I stand fully by what I said.  It is what I have experienced, and how I both view the subject matter and how I choose to play.  Kinda sorry not sorry that it seems to have bothered you so much?  But in the end, yeah.  After bad experiences with creeps, I tend to take a:  "Show me you are different, and I will happily rp with you" viewpoint.  Maybe that is not the nicest way to play, but it saves me drama in the game.

Beyond that, I offered what I thought was actually a decent solution.  You have to show that you are different, when public opinion and thought says things are of a specific way.  It sucks, but that is just life.

However this is the last I am going to post here.  It is getting towards the more argumentative side of discussion, at least in my eyes.  So if you would like to continue, feel free to send a PM.  Otherwise, I am not going to clog up a person's thread.

I'm not offended, I simply think that way of thinking is wrong. People aren't perfect and you've every right to do things your own way. Likewise, I'm going to point out when I think an attitude does nobody any good whatsoever.

Aw man, I feel for you. I played Altmer in TESO, it was a huge struggle to not be seen as a designated villain - I had a particularly memorable incident where my priestess character was talking politely to an (also Altmer) military officer at a market, and like three different Khajiit guards came up and went "Not making any trouble are you?!" It ended up being this kind of embarrassing scene with several guards because two dang elves were having tea and conversation.

My suggestion would be to just keep trying - eventually you'll run into people who are actually decent, and the ones who go "omg no lalafels pls" or ignore you, honestly, probably aren't worth RPing with in the first place.

It's interesting to see that kind of "racial profiling" in a game though. I mean, it can create some pretty interesting situations. I don't know much about TES lore, but I guess they're often seen as criminals or villains?

In such cases where natural suspicion is warranted by the lore, I can kinda understand the player's actions. It's when the player has an unreasonable OOC bias and it ruins both their play and the play of others that I can't excuse them. I can forgive a lot, but I want others to judge me on a basis of my play first and foremost, rather than concept, assumption or precedent.

I'm not offended, I simply think that way of thinking is wrong. People aren't perfect and you've every right to do things your own way. Likewise, I'm going to point out when I think an attitude does nobody any good whatsoever.

It's interesting to see that kind of "racial profiling" in a game though. I mean, it can create some pretty interesting situations. I don't know much about TES lore, but I guess they're often seen as criminals or villains?

In such cases where natural suspicion is warranted by the lore, I can kinda understand the player's actions. It's when the player has an unreasonable OOC bias and it ruins both their play and the play of others that I can't excuse them. I can forgive a lot, but I want others to judge me on a basis of my play first and foremost, rather than concept, assumption or precedent.

Well, in The Elder Scrolls lore there's a lot of in-universe racism and prejudice between the races, which is all fine and good, but it bled a lot into OOC I felt.

It's even sillier here - the lalafel NPCs you meet are pretty varied characters! Hell, I'd say that they're more commonly foul-mouthed 'edgy' little adults than a lot of the other races. (Or it just stands out more when they are, with their appearances and all. Also very likely).

And... I don't think the "prove me wrong" arguement is very fair at all. As much as we like to put things neatly into boxes, there's never 'that one race' in RP - where literally everyone is just terrible. People always deserve the benefit of the doubt, or at least a few emotes worth of attention, before you know whether or not you think you'll mesh.

I've seen the same arguement used against noble RP. "I've never seen it done well, but you're welcome to try and prove me wrong". Well... one person's bad experiences is not the responsibility of every noble (or in this case, lalafel). It's something everyone has to remind themselves of once in a while, but it is important to give people a chance. Otherwise, we'll all end up sitting around with Hyur or Miqo'te, because "well no one wanted to RP with any other race I rolled". And how boring would that be?