Balmung Rp: Worshiping the Twelve

Actually, most NPCs refer to Hydaelyn as the name of the world.

The Scions are among a select few (e.g. the Ascians, the primals, and Midgardsormr) who seem aware that there's an intellect behind said world. The Echo -- or the Blessing of Light -- seems to be the sole means by which one becomes aware of her. After all, the Scions aren't running around singing Hydaelyn's praises in any sort of paradoxical contradiction to the Twelve (save to the leaders of the city-states). It's only once the Warrior of Light recounts his experience that Minfilia and the other Scions go out of their way to explain who and what Hydaelyn is.

Hm...I'll have to look back at it, you may be right and I had been mis-interpreting it. I'd rather see if I can get the fact straight before I go tossing around Hydaelyns name as a goddess and confusing the heck out of people ICly...and creating utter chaos in rp brains because of lore. Again, I'm trying to follow it as closely as possible.

The problem is, that's not how death and dying really works in Eorzea. The dead pass on, and there's nothing left behind of the actual person in most cases. So asking for a blessing from them is like asking thin air - there's nothing there to bless you...

Oh right! Yeah...good point. Because there's the lifestream but...we know what happens there.

*points to Ysholta* She got lucky. Most just sort of...become one with it again and lose their identity of who they were. Unless I am mistaken on how it works?

I'm looking at Minfilia, the Circle of Knowing, the city-state leaders, and Momodi/Miounne. All people who are either directly involved with or have solid reason to know about the Scions.

Even if "The Mothercrystal" is known about, I think it's unlikely she'd be given the name "Hydaelyn" by many...

.....Ok, actually, you and Melkire are helping to clear it up a bit better, think I'm starting to understand. I'll still do more research though but we'll see if I find anything else that you guys haven't already said.

I mean, unless you get really unlucky and attract a voidsent. But then, would you really call that a blessing?

Not unless you think a curse is a blessing...or you're a masochist....

Oh right! Yeah...good point. Because there's the lifestream but...we know what happens there.

*points to Ysholta* She got lucky. Most just sort of...become one with it again and lose their identity of who they were. Unless I am mistaken on how it works?

She didn't just get lucky...she only ever had a chance because she was alive when she went in.

Not unless you think a curse is a blessing...or you're a masochist....

Or you're Edda! :dodgy:

Zodiark and Hydaelyn are mostly esoteric concepts that are not really known to most Eorzeans. Especially Zodiark, that everybody has forgotten for millenias and eras, if they even knew about him to begin with.

As said above, Hydaelyn refers to the planet. Some people might have a vague grasp that there is probably more spiritual stuff behind the planet than that, as evidenced by the Calamities, but that's it I think.

I actually don't think that having a cult built around some kind of blessing from ancestors would contradict lore so much. Just build it around soulstones really. Classquests especially are a direct testimony to all the leeway you can get from ancestors' spirits manifesting through soulstones, from the very mild manifestations like in the NIN quests (you basically carry the experiences and soul of one of your fellow ninja before you, and it mostly seems very spiritual rather than anything else), to the very shattering events like A-Towa Cant coming to say hello almost in flesh and help quelling the Elementals. 

So I actually think it's directly supported by the lore, and it's up to you to see to what kind of level/magnitude you want to take it really.

Zodiark and Hydaelyn are mostly esoteric concepts that are not really known to most Eorzeans. Especially Zodiark, that everybody has forgotten for millenias and eras, if they even knew about him to begin with.

As said above, Hydaelyn refers to the planet. Some people might have a vague grasp that there is probably more spiritual stuff behind the planet than that, as evidenced by the Calamities, but that's it I think.

I actually don't think that having a cult built around some kind of blessing from ancestors would contradict lore so much. Just build it around soulstones really. Classquests especially are a direct testimony to all the leeway you can get from ancestors' spirits manifesting through soulstones, from the very mild manifestations like in the NIN quests (you basically carry the experiences and soul of one of your fellow ninja before you, and it mostly seems very spiritual rather than anything else), to the very shattering events like A-Towa Cant coming to say hello almost in flesh and help quelling the Elementals. 

So I actually think it's directly supported by the lore, and it's up to you to see to what kind of level/magnitude you want to take it really.

The thought had crossed my mind about revering the soul stones like that but I had wondered how many people use them in rp. I noticed the forum here that's about six pages now (I think) about people discussing whether or not they use soul stones ICly. It seems most do but others don't simply for the recognition that they may not need it just to be able to do that job. But I think for the idea you and I are speaking of, perhaps there would be more to it and could be used that way. I think I might explore it, I do like the concept.

Well, I mean here it's not even about a job, it's just soulstones you carry with you, imprint yourself into them, and then pass along generations. I can totally see a cult forming around that with ancestors revering and stuff.

You really don't even need anything about a job here. I find the concept quite original and neat. Of course, it's already threading into world building stuff because we are not anymore talking about pure lore facts here.

OR... You can go the milder road and actually revere ancestors like we do IRL with not much magic behind. Maybe there is, and your cultists probably think so, but maybe there isn't.

Well, I mean here it's not even about a job, it's just soulstones you carry with you, imprint yourself into them, and then pass along generations. I can totally see a cult forming around that with ancestors revering and stuff.

Very good point. I love the description of that....because it's right on point. Dang.

You really don't even need anything about a job here. I find the concept quite original and neat. Of course, it's already threading into world building stuff because we are not anymore talking about pure lore facts here.

OR... You can go the milder road and actually revere ancestors like we do IRL with not much magic behind. Maybe there is, and your cultists probably think so, but maybe there isn't.

Ah, I think that would be a safer way to do it...you know, without the magic. xD