RP Trash looking for connections.

Hello, everyone. And sorry for the clickbait post, but I have a reason.

For the past few months, I have had... very little RP. In fact, I can count the amount of times I've RP'd with one hand. Between this, being outright banned from an FC because I didn't fit in, and my disinclination towards tavern RPs, my confidence in RP'ing has been diminished to the point where I'm an RP'er in name only.

And a big part of the reason is because of the type of character I play, which is basically a superhero. I started to think that my RP style is the problem.

Thing is, changing my style is tantamount to selling my soul for companionship. Sure people will like it, but I won't feel connected to the character or the RP. My heart would just not be in it.

Doesn't help that throughout my life, conforming to 'the rules' usually led to serious unhappiness. And really, what's the point of RP'ing if you aren't happy with it?

In short, I want to stop feeling like the kid who doesn't get picked at all for schoolyard games. I need a place I can RP without always feeling judgmental eyes upon me.

Would anyone know of a group who is taking in a battered RP'er?

2l88eoz.jpg

Hey there! Now... I don't know the full story, but based on what you've said.. your character is a super hero? How so? In Eorzea there are people who can use magic offensively and defensively, warriors with super human strength that hit like trucks on the battlefield, and rogue-like characters who are cunning, stealthy and fast. I guess what I'm asking is, how is he a super hero? What is his set of powers? Are they different or fairly similar to classes/jobs on Eorzea? 

If you consider your character very strong and more so than the average adventurer character, or you god mod/play your character off as this all powerful person, other roleplayers will not like that. It's alright to have a powerful character - but you have to play it off right. Think about it.. if you, yourself had a super power in the real world, what would you do? Would you show off that power and possibly get discovered by people who would want to take advantage of you? Or would you try to help out as much as possible, yet try to remain undiscovered? 

Another issue that doesn't have anything to do with you, or your character is that as soon as you decide to roleplay in a certain universe, you give up a huge amount of creativity to follow that certain universe's lore. If you would like to RP a super hero character, maybe you should go to a forum? There are plenty of RP forums out there that do super hero RPs and maybe your character and RP style would fit better in a forum or even another game. You could even create your own RP, and your own universe and rules and it could be super fun for friends if you want to invite them, or people who just come along and join. 

And if worst comes to worst, might I suggest writing? I have a friend who used to roleplay but just never fit in well, but is an absolutely amazing writer and is almost done writing his novel. I don't know, that's just my two cents on the situation, if you'd like to keep trying Final Fantasy, my friend has a LS with a bunch of RPers in it. If you'd like I could give you more information on it.

I'm left with more questions as well...

By superhero, do you mean you popped in from some Marvel/DC/etc realm and can do all sorts of flashy superhuman feats that would wow the public (or that you play as the WoL who you see as someone having comic book style abilities)? Or do you mean you're the kind of guy that goes charging in whenever you see criminals/the unfortunate and does all he can to stop the bad guys and save everyone? These are very different things.

If you are from an alternate dimension, your best bet is to search for anyone who is ALSO from alternate dimensions. If you play as the WoL, same thing. If you just RP as this great do-gooder, well, that gives the vast majority of those who RP in this game a lot more to work with. But something in your post stuck out to me and it has nothing to do with you being a superhero of any type... it sounds more like you're inflexible when it comes to RP, unwilling to adapt to those you RP with. Like any socializing, RP is a two way street, each person needs to listen and respond to the other people and change a little to keep the conversation going. I'm not saying you have to give up your ideal story line, just maybe give things some more thought about how you can play this character so that you don't rub any more people the wrong way. :) Good luck!

Im typically rp with anyone.  Id just like to know more about your character.  If the problem most people have with your rp is power level, thats not a problem.   All my characters have something that makes them 'super' at something.  Jujuwai is a tech genius, aulsoix a powerful,  well educated mage, and fyrilsunn a  maelstrom veteran warrior. If you wana know more, I can give it when im not on my phone.  ^.^

Nah, nothing like Marvel-style superheroes. Though that would definitely be fun, wouldn't it?

As for power level, I guess I haven't had a chance to fully flesh out my character's potential. A lack of RP for extended periods of time will do that. However, there are some things that are immediately apparent, and I feel safe putting 'out there':

1. My character is an arcanist, a competent enough one.

2. Though she can use both job branches, she favors summoning, and is conducting research on granting Egi powers to carbuncles so that she can have them out in public.

3. The carbuncles talk.

4. My character is a fast learner. Unnaturally so. Don't expect this to translate well into physical disciplines, however.

Okay! Thanks for clarifying a few things. Arcanists are awesome, my miqo'te's an arcanist, totally cool. So in order for a character to know both job classes.. in-game and ICly, your character would need two soulstones. Now, summoners and scholars are generally more accepted and their magic is more common than say.. a black mage or white mage. However, the only way for your character to have both job classes is if she dug around some ruins and had extreme luck when finding them, most likely in ancient Nymian ruins in La Noscea. 

Now talking carbuncles I can see going one way or the other. Me personally? I think talking carbuncles would be absolutely fucking adorable, but other people may not think it's lore viable since there's been no clear evidence that there have been talking carbuncles. My arcanist's carbuncle doesn't talk, but I'm thinking as she advances in skill and obtains her topaz carbuncle that she will have the gift of summoning both of them at once while outside of combat, but that's only because she's had sort of a natural gift for summoning way before she even started training. And like I said, her emerald carbuncle doesn't talk, and neither will the topaz one, they sort of act like dogs or cats for the most part. 

How fast of a learner is your character? Could you give examples? Is she perfect at everything she learns the first time? Or does she have some weaknesses that might make some things harder to learn for her than others? Generally you'd want to leave some flaws and give your character some difficulty when learning a skill. No one can be a master chef in one day for example.

1. She earned the SMN stone; backstory unclear as of yet. SCH was given to her by a tonberry who saw how well she handled summons. This was sometime after the Tonberry King was felled but before the Mamool'ja raid.

2. Possibly not 100% the first time; haven't had a chance to flesh it out. I expect higher than 25% progress in learning at the least.

3. Talking carbuncles are a thing I won't go into detail here in the forums.

I might rejoin one of my oldest RP groups as soon as some IC/OOC stuff has been sorted out. However, I would very much like a story that isn't just a slice of life. I've grown tired of it.

Nah, nothing like Marvel-style superheroes. Though that would definitely be fun, wouldn't it?

As for power level, I guess I haven't had a chance to fully flesh out my character's potential. A lack of RP for extended periods of time will do that. However, there are some things that are immediately apparent, and I feel safe putting 'out there':

2. Though she can use both job branches, she favors summoning, and is conducting research on granting Egi powers to carbuncles so that she can have them out in public.

3. The carbuncles talk.

4. My character is a fast learner. Unnaturally so. Don't expect this to translate well into physical disciplines, however.

None of this sounds all that out there, tbh. My idea of "slice of life" includes things like murders, voidsent, insanity, etc. lol. (I like suspense & horror.) I only draw the line at "undefeatable" and "god-like powers" as well as true lore-breaking stuff like playing a character from another game or tv show. If most other's slice of life storytelling is just that they woke up in the morning, went to their job hawking wares in Ul'dah, then went home to sleep... I'm not sure there's much plot to work with. >w< From what you've said thus far, I'd RP with ya.

3. The carbuncles talk.

None of this sounds all that out there, tbh. My idea of "slice of life" includes things like murders, voidsent, insanity, etc. lol. (I like suspense & horror.) I only draw the line at "undefeatable" and "god-like powers" as well as true lore-breaking stuff like playing a character from another game or tv show. If most other's slice of life storytelling is just that they woke up in the morning, went to their job hawking wares in Ul'dah, then went home to sleep... I'm not sure there's much plot to work with. >w< From what you've said thus far, I'd RP with ya.

Murders and voidsent?! I'll take that slice of life any day! Sign me up.

I'm Mara Ileres on Balmung.

3. The carbuncles talk.

Murders and voidsent?! I'll take that slice of life any day! Sign me up.

I'm Mara Ileres on Balmung.

lol! Alright. Lemme get moved first. ><; I'm in process and am hoping to be back in game mid-week (knock on wood). In the meantime, you are welcome to check out the character profiles I've linked in my sig (only one not linked is Brinn Rosa). I do actively play all of these, so I guess I should've given a heads up that I'm an altholic (not everyone is keen on those).

• 4 years later...

I know I'm late to the party on this one. Actually pretty late. But here's my take on it. I play a superhero...well sort of. The only power he has is a fast healing ability. (He's loosely inspired by Deadpool... hey don't look at me like that, he's only inspired he isn't an exact copy he has A LOT of differences. Like for one, he isn't a meme or joke character.) And yes he does come from another universe. Not DC or Marvel but a made up one from a Mutants and Masterminds game that me and my local gamer group played for about 8 years. Something happens in that game that causes him to bounce around to different worlds and universes (which isn't that lore breaking considering what happens in Shadowbringers). However, with all of that being said. He is still a superhero, he doesn't have anything over powered. Just the healing ability. He can still get hurt, he still loses fights, and he can even still die... he just happens to come back a few minutes later. Him being from another universe isn't ever the focus of his RP though, he very rarely mentions it... actually he actively goes out of his way to avoid talking about it unless he's known the person for a long time and gotten close with them. As far as being a superhero goes. He's the type that will jump in and go out of his way to save somebody, or help with a situation and then up and leave without a reward or a thank you unless someone is able to stop him before he does. 

Also on that note while RPing this character I have met a few others that have been "super" in their own character. (I'm also very much interested in finding more superheroes of Eorzea cause I just think it would be a neat idea.) 

As I said I know I'm late to the party but if anyone is still around I wouldn't mind world visiting someone to set up any RP.