Gridania Story-Go-Round :: 1st Monday Each Month @ 8pm Eastern

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[align=center]The Truth of the Terrible Monstrosity[/align]

"Our tale begins in a quaint hamlet in the Black Shroud, untainted by time or fell magic, this was a joyous, peaceful place.  Until one day when a young summoner decided to play with powers beyond his ken and he was Tainted by a creature of the Void.  It warped him beyond all human recognition, turning him into a monster of such terrible woe that he was chased off into the forest, never to be seen again.  Yet, every All Saint's Wake, it is said that the monster tries to return home."

"Yet, it is said that the great monstrosity was, in fact, not a product of his own design -- but that someone /cursed/ him thus.  Is there truth to this tale or is it mere bard's fancies?  We shall discover that together tonight and lay the truth of the matter to rest once and for all..."

[19:07]Syranelle Ironleaf: "Years passed since the monster was exiled and the story of his downfall passed from generation to generation as naught but faerie tale.  Yet, there was a young man in the very same hamlet that had the same aspirations of power as his predecessor.  So, into the woods nearby he went to conduct his rituals and rites, to draw something forth from the Void to smite down his enemies and those who ridiculed him."

[19:09]Syranelle Ironleaf: "The lines of power were drawn, the rite set to tear open the fabric of this world into the Void.  Yet, even as he began to draw the last rune that would seal the summoning circle... the Monstrosity of legend appeared, massive paws scraping and clawing through the runes to scatter them!"

[19:11]Syranelle Ironleaf: "Boy faced off against monster, the paltry powers the boy had were no match for the beast that came to bear.  Terrible, slathering fangs dripped as the creature came forward.  The boy tried valiantly to muster his courage, but to no avail.  It abandoned him and he ran screaming into the woods with the Monstrosity not far behind!"

[19:14]Syranelle Ironleaf: "Trees were felled, tainted in the Monstrosity's wake; bushes burned in sudden, sickly flame.  The boy looked frantically for any way to escape, any hope for salvation -- and found it in the form of an ancient crypt carved into one of the hillsides.  Without hesitation, he threw open the door and clambered within, panting for breath in the darkness."

[19:17]Syranelle Ironleaf: "Beyond the doorway, he could hear the Monstrosity snuffling and snorting at the door, the terrible rake of its claws against the stone.  Yet he could hardly hear it for the fearful thunder of his own heart.  With no manner of egress the way he'd come in, the boy was forced to explore the crypt into which he had locked himself.  It was chill with the decaying musk of the dead.  Nothing moved, his every motion echoing like the most dreadful sacrilege."

[19:19]Syranelle Ironleaf: "So thick was the darkness, so black, he could see nothing.  Every breath was as a gale to his ears, every heartbeat like an avalanche.  After what felt like years in the musty dark, he found a tunnel leading deeper into the hallowed halls of the dead.  Dare he go deeper or did he face the Monstrosity beyond the door?"

[19:23]Syranelle Ironleaf: "Which fear was greater than the other?  Fear of the unknown was less than fear of the great slavering beast, so into the dank tunnels of the catacomb he went.  He passed bier after bier of death-slumbering corpses, held fast in their eternal rest by the ravages of time.  The darkness kept him blind, so he could only feel his way forward with one hand on the wall.  They passed over the bones of the dead in his haste."

[19:24]Syranelle Ironleaf: "Until one bony hand grasped his and a deathly chill overtook him.  He screamed in terror, jerking his hand away even as he felt the bones come free of their crypt and lunge at him!  He fell back against the wall, scrabbling for freedom in the instinctual fight to survive!  He could feel the skeleton's talons rake over him..."

[19:26]Syranelle Ironleaf: "Only to realize it was only his own imagination giving life to the thing.  The skeleton had merely come loose from its shallow grave, hung on a fold of his robe.  He laughed when part of him wanted to cry as he shakily drew himself to his feet and continued on his way."

[19:29]Syranelle Ironleaf: "Finally, deep within the tomb, he found a place that was strangely lit by torches.  In the distance, he could hear whispered words in a spidery language he could not understand.  Still, there was life and light here, away from the darkness and chill of the dead, and even farther from the monstrous demon that pursued him.  He came at last to an altar, the marble pristine and unmarred.  An old man stood there in simple red robes, looking over something in a leather-bound tome."

[19:36]Zhan'a Rakhin: Zhan'a Rakhin: "Glad to have found light and a face that was not attempting to devour his own, the boy cautiously approached the altar. If the stranger noticed his presence, he gave no sign. The old man's index finger went from line to line in the tome and broke the motion only to turn the page. At last, he gave a deep sigh and looked up to the intruder. The stared. "I can't read," the old man said. The boy started, but examined the book. "It's upside down."

[19:36]Zhan'a Rakhin: Zhan'a Rakhin: The boy turned the book, at which point the older man grinned, broken teeth flashing in the torchlight. "Ah, much better." And with that, the light began to darken, though the shadows almost seemed... to glow…

[19:39]Syranelle Ironleaf: "As the shadows harkened to life, the old man's hand grasped the boy's shoulder, ancient, yellowed fingernails digging in like claws.  'Another fool of a boy with a lust for power...!' he crowed, triumphant.  'Come, boy, come and witness true power... come and give your life to the Void..." The shadows coalesced around them, seeming to draw in close and stifling.  The boy could feel it tugging at his robes like a water current, but with a sickening malevolence beneath."

[19:41]Syranelle Ironleaf: "The old man's fingers dug deeper, threatening to draw blood, even through the boy's own robes.  'Blood for the Void!  Blood for the Void!' the man chanted with a frightening fervor.  For a moment, the boy was transfixed like the rodent before the snake, paralyzing fear stiffening his limbs and leaving him helpless."

[19:44]Zhan'a Rakhin: Thinking back to the bones in the halls, he knew his fate would be the same. Dead in a hole in the ground, and no one would know or care. Except maybe the monster outside, but its appetite was not his concern at the moment. "Maybe..." he swallowed, trying once more to speak above a whisper. "Maybe we could use a rat?" The old man gave pause, more confused than anything. "No, you don't use rats for these sorts of rituals, they go completely sideways. I'd know."

[19:45]Syranelle Ironleaf chuckles quietly at Zhan'a's addition.

[19:45]Zhan'a Rakhin: However, the man's grip had lessened ever so slightly, and the boy took his captor's bemusement as his chance to escape. Back to the tunnel of bones, lit by glowing darkness. However that worked. Back to the monster that was undoubtedly still somewhere beyond the door...

[19:48]Syranelle Ironleaf: "Back through the darkened crypt the boy fled, his one salvation quite possibly also his certain doom!  Yet, it was better than being sacrificed, better than being given over to the Void.  Suddenly, all that power didn't seem near as appealing.  He could hear the old man bumbling along behind him, the clatter of bones and refuse echoing through the hall.  At long last, he reached the door of the crypt.  He poised himself beside it, waiting for just the right time."

[19:49]Syranelle Ironleaf: "As the old man came stumbling into the hollow, the boy threw open the door... but the Monstrosity was not on the other side.  Panic welled in the boy's chest as he struggled to come up with a new plan.  'Give up, boy!' the old man said.  'Ouch, confound it!  Gods-be-damned coffins!'  Apparently, he'd stubbed his foot on one."

[19:53]Zhan'a Rakhin: If anything, the old man wanted blood. It occurred to him that it did not have to be his blood. After a moment to catch his bearings, he ran in the direction of his hamlet, the old man limped after. He was quick despite his age and new injury, however. The distance between them steadily grew, and the boy's heart lightened. Every once and a while, though, he thought he could hear something running alongside him through the brush. When he looked, there was nothing there.

[19:55]Zhan'a Rakhin: As the trees thinned and the warm glow of lights through windows, he all but threw himself at the nearest door. "Help!" he cried. Anyone awake this light at night probably had it coming, anyway. "There's a crazy old man!" And also a monster, but they didn't need to know that. The old man hobbled into the hamlet, wheezing all the way. "Wait... too fast... Not good for my heart."

[19:59]Syranelle Ironleaf: "The house upon which he knocked suddenly came alive with activity, a tired-looking woman answering the door crossly.  Her hair stuck up at every angle from an array of haphazard curlers.  The boy screamed, turning to flee from the sight.  The last thing he needed was another monster on his hands!   He fled for the next door, banging on it again.  'Help, help!' he cried.  'There's a crazy old man and a witch-lady!'  The door came open after a moment, the town blacksmith peering down."

[20:01]Syranelle Ironleaf: "The boy pointed behind him where the old man was struggling along to catch up, having to veritably hold himself up with peoples' fences.  'Coming, coming...' the old man muttered.  'I mean, I'll get you!  Blood for the... the... Gods damn it, whatever the hell it was!'   Peering out of the door down the way was the wild-haired woman, shrieking, 'You bloody fool, someone ought to string you up for what you've done!'  The blacksmith looked at the boy.  'Seems like you're in a spot of trouble.'

[20:05]Zhan'a Rakhin: "Waking people up in the middle of the night, he is! Calling us witches!" The woman wagged her finger at them before slamming the door, leaving the blacksmith shaking his head. "This is the fourth time this moon you've caused a disturbance, lad," he said, taking the boy by the shoulder. "Now you've involved a poor visitor as well." The blacksmith pointed briefly to the old man, who had finally had to stop. The boy, meanwhile, flailed his arms. "No, you have to believe me!"

[20:07]Zhan'a Rakhin: Too late. The blacksmith tugged his charge back toward the forest, grabbing a rope from his cottage wall on the way. "A night in the cold will cool you off a bit," is all he says amid the boy's shouting. After being securely tied to a tree, the blacksmith nodded. "I'll come for you in the morning." And then he was gone. There was silence in the forest. Until something rustled in the brush...

[20:10]Syranelle Ironleaf: "As the boy sobbed, tied to a tree, the old man came stumbling out of the brush.  'F-finally caught you!' he rasped.  The boy stared, agape.  The old man was covered, head-to-toe, in an assorment of leaves, twigs, and crushed berries, all tangled up in his beard and hair making him look like some shambling pile of leaves.  "Monster!  Monster!" the boy cried, though he knew no one could hear him."

[20:12]Syranelle Ironleaf: "As the old man once again closed in on his sacrificial lamb, the Monstrosity burst out of the woods nearby and roared a challenge at the Shambling Mound.  The boy could hardly believe his eyes as the two terrible looking creatures (and boy, did that old man look /terrible/...) faced off before him."

[20:16]Zhan'a Rakhin: Between the two of them, the boy was not sure which had longer claws, now that he noticed. Shambles had broken one in the frantic race, though, so that at least put him at a disadvantage. Shambles pointed at the monster, face contorting in anger. "You again! I thought I told you to sod off! You're more useless like this than you were before!" The monster snorted at this and charged at the old man, easily lifting him and throwing him some distance into the woods. Growling, it turned to the boy.

[20:19]Zhan'a Rakhin: After several failed attempts to speak, the boy finally uttered a strangled "Please?" as the monster drew closer. All he had wanted was to show the others what he was capable of, to prove himself... But not like this. As the monster reared back, he closed his eyes. Before any blow could land, though, light burst against his eyelids, and he opened one eye just a smidge to see something unbelievable…

[20:22]Syranelle Ironleaf: "In the Monstrosity's place was none other than a sylph!  It turned a merry circle, drawing its hands up to its mouth as it laughed.  'How well did clever ones trick tall ones!  Scary ones did tall ones think clever ones were!'  The boy stared, stupefied.  'W-wait, all these years, the legend... has been nothing but one big sylph trick?'  He groaned, hanging his head in shame.  He'd wanted to believe the tale was true, not some... some farce!  The sylph giggled again.

[20:25]Syranelle Ironleaf: "Disappointed, the boy looked at the sylph.  'Can you at least let me out of these ropes?'  The sylph smiled, tucking tiny hands behind its back.  'Clever one helps, if tall one keeps a secret!  Tall one can never tell of clever ones trick!'  The boy agreed and the sylph freed him from the tree.  He left for home, so when the old man came crawling out of the forest once again, all that was left was the sylph.  'Gods-dammit,' he exclaimed.  'Just some sylphan trick this whole time?  Go away!'"

[20:30]Zhan'a Rakhin: The old man, covered in debris and as worn out as could be, collapsed onto a bed of leaves. "Little floating cabbages are not suitable! They are worse than rats! The blood gods would not approve!" The sylph giggled and floated out of sight, leaving the old man to his thoughts. "I should put a sign on the crypt door... 'Enter for omnipotent summoning abilities'. That should attract a crowd." He scrambled to his feet, muttering to himself as he returned to his crypt.

[20:30]Zhan'a Rakhin: The next day, the boy returned to the old man's door with the intention of blocking it for good, but made sure to remove the sign first. Just in case.

[20:32]Syranelle Ironleaf: "And so, dear listeners, we discover the truth behind the terrible tale of the Monstrosity, but remember... it's our secret."  She winks playfully.  "Thank you for coming out tonight and we hope you enjoyed the show!  Be sure to join us again next month (November 10th) for yet another rousing romp with the Gridania Story-Go-Round!"

• 2 weeks later...

[align=center]A Squire's Test[/align]

[19:09]Rheya Tayuun: "Once upon a time of old, there was a Knight of Ishgard. This noble knight was renowned for his courage and his faith and his skill at arms, but alas... not quite for his brains."

[19:12]Rheya Tayuun: "So when word reached him of a fair princess kidnapped by an evil sorcerer and guarded by a fierce dragon? He did what any self-respecting knight of Ishgard would. Make the Perilous Journey up the sea-swept cliffs in a raging storm, with his squire clinging to his back. He dropped the squire off at the gates and burst in, roaring his mighty challenge! He found himself struck by lightning four times, and tossed off the cliff by the mighty sea dragon's wrath!"

[19:14]Rheya Tayuun: "Thus, the lone squire found herself staring up at the BIGGEST dragon she'd ever seen, as it looked to her and spoke in a distinctly girlish voice. "Your master was bold, child... But for all his strength, he was nothing before my might and the sorcerer in the tower behind me is mightier still. What hope do YOU have of challenging him and winning the freedom of your maiden fair?"

[19:17]Syranelle Ironleaf: "Faced with the fearsome visage of the dragon, her master all but pitched off the side of the cliff, the squire bent her will and wit against the aged wyrm.  'I'm sure that the maiden you have in that tower is getting a bit dated.  Couldn't you use a new one?  /I/ happen to be the purest of maidens and a champion lancer, to boot!  Surely I'd make a finer prize than what you have in that tower at present.'  The dragon stared at her for several long, tense moments...."

[19:20]Syranelle Ironleaf: " 'Hrm.  I /suppose/...' The dragon mused.  'We've had that girl up there for Gods only know how long.' "  The squire only beamed at her scaly opponent, doing her best to bat her eyes coquettishly.  'You see?  I'd make a much more tempting prize for any Knight that comes along.  Isn't that sort of the point?'  The dragon squinted an eye, peering down at the squire with something akin to suspicion.  'How do I know you're really worth all that?' "

[19:23]Kada'to Jakkya: The squire matched her gaze with the dragon, keeping her smile sweet and her determination strong. A moment passed in silence before she spoke once more. "If you doubt me so much, great wyrm, then why not give me a test?" She then grinned with confidence. The dragon blinked slowly, then let out a slow, rumbling laugh.

[19:27]Kada'to Jakkya: "You've actually managed to amuse me, tiny one. Very well, I shall give you once chance to prove yourself to me." His great head then lowered to her height, and the wyrm's mouth opened slightly, revealing razor sharp fangs. "But know that if you fail me, your fate shall be worse than your knight's." The squire nodded, "Name your trial." She spoke.

[19:33]Nanamo Ul'namo: The great wyrm required only a moment's hesitation as she considered the possibilities, and after what seemed to be an eternity, growled her reply. "I but long for a treasure who can defend herself, and my master as well. Therefore shall my trial be one of combat." And though the young squire did not wince at this, rest assured her heart skipped several beats.

[19:39]Nanamo Ul'namo: Still, she dared not falter, and spoke evenly. "I assume you mean to say I am to face you?" But an idea sprung to her mind. "If I may, might I suggest a different opponent? I should like to face your master instead - to show I can slay more foes than even he!" As I am sure you might imagine, twas a far-fetched idea, but perhaps one with some merit…

[19:43]Iskander Farander: Slowly did the lezen man ascend the stairs. But when he stood he spoke in a raspy voice. Soft and scratchy like sand paper. He pushed it out, but it did not quite carry as well as he wished. "No." He uttered the dragon's line. "I would not sully my master with your presence. For if such skill be true, than you will surely be able to defeat myself and him." The dragon reared up, a deep seated chuckle boomed from his scaley chest. "Or art thou scared, little mouse?" A hefty flap of his wings

[19:45]Iskander Farander: struck any hope of another trial from the squire's mind. She would have to face this dragon for her Knight, the maiden and herself. She stayed resilient though, atleast in visage. She would not balk, though the softest prayer to Halone was uttered from her lips. "Fine!" She called out watching the dragon ascend. "Hail fury... Mother of mercy..." Her words trailed out into the wind and crashing waves. She'd ready her spear and spirit.

[19:49]K'weh Featherstroud: "Mercy be upon me, as all twelve winds are at my feet," she declared vehemently. So she would do battle with the lord that would proclaim himself master above all others. All the while his sire watched. The plight of mortals and their virtue, it was such a paltry thing, you see." K'weh flared his hands, the aether flowing from his grip to ignite a show of what it would be like to be just a humble squire at the mercy of such scales.

[19:49]K'weh Featherstroud: "Mercy be upon me, as all twelve winds are at my feet," she declared vehemently. So she would do battle with the lord that would proclaim himself master above all others. All the while his sire watched. The plight of mortals and their virtue, it was such a paltry thing, you see." K'weh flared his hands, the aether flowing from his grip to ignite a show of what it would be like to be just a humble squire at the mercy of such scales.

[19:58]Rheya Tayuun: "The squire leapt forwards with a valiant yell, her oaken spear flashing. In response, the Dragon snarled out a command to the stormclouds above, and lightning slashed down. But! In her fury, the dragon made one simple mistake. It's much, much easier to strike a tall Elezen riding a chocobo wearing metal armor than it is to strike a small purple-haired girl who's wearing only a tunic and pants!"

[20:02]Rheya Tayuun: "The thunder slammed into the squire with painful force, but she shrugged it off and continued her charge right up to between the Dragon's front legs. The Tower, on the other hand... The stones of the top balcony burst asunder and rained down, giving the Dragon a rather nasty headache!

[20:04]Syranelle Ironleaf: "Reeling from the clout to the head, the dragon fell to its side trying to shake off the dizziness.  As it lay there, the squire circled 'round toward its soft, thinly-scaled underbelly.  Yet, as the squire prepared herself to strike, the unbelievable happened...!

[20:05]Syranelle Ironleaf: " 'N-not dead yet...' came the raspy voice of her mentor and master, the aged Knight the dragon had knocked from the cliff.  The old man struggled to climb the last bit of cliffside, yet it was clear he could not do so alone.  The squire had a choice: defeat her foe... or save the mentor who had taught her all."

[20:09]Kada'to Jakkya: "The squire gripped her spear tightly, and for a moment she was torn between duty and loyalty. She had only seconds to choose. She took a steady breath, then turned from her mentor, the man she had followed loyally all these years, and faced the dragon…

[20:12]Kada'to Jakkya: "The squire raised her spear high, and threw it at the great wyrm. Her aim was true, and the point pierced deep into its belly. As the beast roared in pain, more stones crashed from above. With her opponent distracted, the squire turned towards the old knight and ran to help him up. She leaned over the edge of the cliff, offering the man her hand. "Take my hand!" She yelled out to him. The wyrm roared in fury this time as he began to regain his bearings. There was not much time left…

[20:16]Iskander Farander: Once more the scratchy voiced Elezen ascended the stairs. Breathing a deep, grit filled sigh out. He began speaking once more. The knight had reached for his squire's hand. A grim smile on his face, for he knew that his time would likely come soon. In the chaos did he ascend the cliff face in full. Blood spattering upon his lips. "Thank you." He uttered. Generic words to fill the air as the beast finally readied itself a new. (Ike boomed his voice here, likely in a pained manner.)

[20:19]Iskander Farander: "YOU WILL BE SMITTED." (Coughing ensues.) The beast roared, rearing up to stand on its hind legs. It's dark twisted aether willed the sea to its control, creating the sable price to begin conjuring about the pair's feet. But here the Knight did push the squire out allowing her to continue on. But as the walls of dark tainted water ascended, would she see the Knight's blade in the weathered, wilted grass. Bore of Halone's grace, the Knight's last parting gift.  A blade of fury. A blade of light.

[20:22]K'weh Featherstroud: Do not squander the gifts of those that lay before you. Make them your own. Achieve the brightest day that could be cast from this darkest night. "I do not yield!" She reminded this dragon of his challenge. The rite of which he had squandered all of his loot and glory. His presige and the grace of deaths he had claimed. "I will not yield!" Tenacious, even in the wake of her master's vigil. Noble. But trite.

[20:24]K'weh Featherstroud: All great tales come to an end, those whom would be gathered here. The glory of a woman that would seek to dig her mettle against the masters. All things must end. All things return to whence they came. ...Not this story. You see it was. She was imbued with Halone herself. A Fury that could not be matched. A rite that only a sire can bequeath their inherit. Her master dreamt of only the world for her, and she dreamt only of the world for her lady. All the world fell in to place.

[20:29]Rheya Tayuun: "The Dragon shook off the daze caused by the collapsing balcony as the evil sorcerer threw open the doors that led to his balcony in astonishment at the noise. The Squire grasped the blade that shone with Halone's Grace, and was granted a vision of the sorcerous chains that bound the Dragon to her evil master."

[20:33]Rheya Tayuun: "The Dragon beat her powerful wings, causing the Squire to drop low and cling to the scrubby grass to not be blown off the cliff. As the Dragon dropped down and struck like a snake, the Squire leapt forwards! But instead of striking at the weak spot in the Dragon's scaly chest, the Squire pulled her humble spear free and cast it upwards at the evil Sorcerer instead!"

[20:36]Syranelle Ironleaf: "Glittering with the holy light of Halone, the spear lanced the distance between the Squire and the Sorcerer, but even as it did the jaws of the beast threatened to close around the Squire as she fell.  Her eyes closed and she prepared herself to be transcended to the arms of her Goddess.  The dragon's breath was fetid and foul upon her face as she felt its mouth draw nearer, the rumble of its voice as it echoed in her ears..."

[20:38]Syranelle Ironleaf: "Only to be silenced as her mentor came crashing down from overhead, smiting the dragon's head sideways.  The old Knight and the dragon tumbled off into the snow on one side of the cliff, the Squire tumbled off to the other.  Yet, she scrambled to her feet, looking heavensward to see her spear nearing its vulnerable target.  Silently she prayed."

[20:44]Kada'to Jakkya: "She closed her eyes for a moment in her prayer, exhaling slowly before she opened them again. Time seemed to slow down. The sorcerer raised his hands as he began to cast some sort of magic to protect himself. A dark light began to slowly coat his form as the spear crashed into him. For a moment, nothing happened. The point of the spear was but centimeters away from his flesh, but it would not move.”

[20:47]Kada'to Jakkya: "The sorcerer's expression twisted into a cruel grin, and moved his hand to toss the weapon away. The squire looked down from below in shock from her opponent's display in magic. But as the sorcerer's fingers touched the shaft of her weapon, the spear began to glow a brilliant white, and with a burst of pure light, the shield of magic around him shattered, and her weapon finally found its mark.

[20:51]K'weh Featherstroud: Godbert Hildebrand was the strongest and most elegant crafter in all the land. Always was and always will be, you see. In all his splendor and wisdom he had found the soul that could ignore the spark in a spear which had thus lain dormant until now. Now, as it throbbed loose the ichre of a scaleborn worship, he knew its place in the world. Not all things are given their design when the world was ripe for them. And not all purpose is fulfilled simply because duty calls.

[20:54]K'weh Featherstroud: Folley had no place here. Failure would not yeidl them. For he had never smelted the metal in such a way. So proud was he, of the rose that had slain the thorn, that she was allowed to keep her... trophy. Let it bear the weight of eighty tonze of pride and blood. She had no will for it. No patience for the splendor that came with the smite. It was not in the way of her world. In the last fell cry of a great beast she waded, lost in the lust of her Fury and rightly so.

[20:59]Rheya Tayuun: "The Sorcerer's evil magics were no match for the Fury's Light! Upon grasping the spear, the spells he so cunningly wove broke and lashed back upon him. The powers that were protecting him fled, and the Sorcerer took a staggering step forwards. Only to find that the ruined stones crumbled under his feet and he pitched forwards!"

[21:06]Rheya Tayuun: "The Sorcerer plummeted to his doom, impaling himself on the spear. Upon his death, the spells binding the Dragon broke! Revealing that the Dragon was actually the fair Princess of the Sea!"

[21:08]Syranelle Ironleaf: "The battle was ended.  Snow fell and silence reigned for what seemed like aeons.  The dragon -- no, the maiden now -- lay in the snow with the aged Knight.  The two of them struggled to their feet and the Knight gallantly threw his cloak around her shoulders.  'It is done,' he said comfortingly. 'It is over.'   Yet, the Princess of the Sea shook her head.  'Not yet...' "

[21:11]Syranelle Ironleaf: The Princess approached the Squire, both of the girls looking at each other for a long moment.  Finally, the Squire smiled, giving a shrug.  'Did I pass your test?'  The Princess smiled in return. 'So many gallants would have slain the dragon without a second thought, but you chose instead to attack her captor.  For that, I owe you my life.  What reward can I offer you?  Riches?  Titles?  Land?  Tell me, my savior, what I can offer you."

[21:20]Kada'to Jakkya: "The knight looked to the princess, and then the squire, and then began to laugh. Seeing this, the squire relaxed and turned her attention towards the princess, who awaited her reply patiently. "I- My lady. All I ask is but a simple kiss for luck. I have so much more to learn and many more adventures to take, so I do not wish to be tied down by lands or titles." At this, the princess smiled once more, then leaned in and pressed a single kiss to her cheek. ||

[21:20]Kada'to Jakkya: “I wish you all the luck in the world, hero. But when you have had your fill of adventures, know that I will welcome your return with open arms.” With that, the princess was taken back safe and sound to her home, and the squire and her knight set out to adventure once again.

• 3 weeks later...

(To the tune of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town")

You better watch out

You better not cry

You better not pout

And I'll tell you why...

Gridania Story-Go-Round is near!

We're making a list

Checking it twice

Story-tellers

Can't be naughty, just nice

Our stories aren't for sleeping

Adventure keeps you awake

Stories both silly and good

Just don't be rude for goodness sake!

You better watch out

You better not cry

You better not pout

And I'll tell you why...

[align=center]Emergency Relocation[/align]

[align=center]Another event has scheduled their activity in Mih Khetto's Amphitheater for this Thursday.  In an effort to be accommodating and share the real estate, the Gridania Story-Go-Round needs to move for this month.[/align]

[align=center]If you have a large Free Company venue/house decorated for the Starlight holiday and would be willing to take on a large crowd (typically 20-30 people on a good night) on short notice, please reply below![/align]

[align=center]Emergency Relocation[/align]

[align=center]Another event has scheduled their activity in Mih Khetto's Amphitheater for this Thursday.  In an effort to be accommodating and share the real estate, the Gridania Story-Go-Round needs to move for this month.[/align]

[align=center]If you have a large Free Company venue/house decorated for the Starlight holiday and would be willing to take on a large crowd (typically 20-30 people on a good night) on short notice, please reply below![/align]

Faye responded to you on tumblr! I don't think we have a Starlight wallpaper for the basement (it's apparently pricey), but I think she's willing to work with something. So like, call her maybe???

Faye responded to you on tumblr! I don't think we have a Starlight wallpaper for the basement (it's apparently pricey), but I think she's willing to work with something. So like, call her maybe???

You guys are life-savers! <3 I'll Skype Faye now and see what I can do. I think I /might/ be able to craft the wallpaper...

[align=center]A Shocking Starlight Plot[/align]

[19:18]Karaan Nolan: "I will start direct in the story, a story from the first ever hero this lovely event had." He stops and grins, changing his voice. "This one is right, the celebration was stolen!" Mogshu had heard a lot from his time, but the sylph speech was always the funniest one, for him. He rolls his Pomcigar in his small hand and eats another kupo nuts while glancing in his small office, unsure of this two new clients. The Sylp were nervous, speaking about someone stoling their Father, it seems -c-

[19:20]Karaan Nolan: every night, near the Starlight Celebration, Ramuh, roams around the Sylphland, to give gift to the good Sylph and coal to the Naughty One. But someone or something has stolen, Ramuh's most precious thing, not his staff...but it almight beard. The Moggle chuckles and scribbles on his pad while the Slyph nods." It must be them..they are jealous of The Mighty One because this one doesn't receive gift from...."

[19:27]Rheya Tayuun: The Pomvestigator chewed on the end of his pencil for a few moments, and then nodded at the Sylph who was hovering over his tree-stump desk. "Okay, kupo! The Levinfather can't deliver his presents if he doesn't have that beard. Nobody would recognize him! Pomvestigator Mogshu is on the case, kupo! Do you have any idea how the culprit managed to get it off of his face without, you know, getting punted into next week, Kupo?"  <1/2>

[19:29]Rheya Tayuun: The sylph shook it's head helplessly and shrugged at that. "Flying one does not know! Strange Walking Ones were seen in the forest, though. Tall, and red as hollyberry! Or Kupo One's pom!" Mogshu preened a bit at that, because his pom was (in his humble opinion), one of his better features. He took down a few more notes, and then nodded at the pair of sylphs. <2/2>

[19:32]Syranelle Ironleaf: Excited to take on his second-ever-case, Pomvestigator Mogshu did a happy little Moogle Dance.  "We'll just have to be a good pomvestigator and look into what happened ourself, kupo!"  True to his word, Mogshu danced his way out of his office and went to the East Shroud to begin his investigation.  He arrived first at the Hawthorne Hut, the center of all activity and life around Nine Ivies.  >>

[19:34]Syranelle Ironleaf: The first person he questioned was one of the local Wood Wailers.  "Good evening, kupo!  Praytell, have you seen or heard anything about Ramuh and his missing beard?"  The elezen looked at Mogshu in disbelief before he started laughing right in the poor moogle's face.  "What?  Don't be absurd.  No one goes near a Primal, that's foolishness!"  Undaunted, Moghsu went to the local Chocobokeep and asked the same question.  Startlingly, he got the same kind of reaction.  What was wrong?

[19:41]Kada'to Jakkya: One person laughing at poor Mogshu, he could handle. His pom was made of sterner stuff! But then the Chocobokeep? It was almost as if these people were afraid of Ramuh! Mogshu shook his head, perish the thought! The Levinfather was good to all moogles, so why would these good people be afraid of him? Surely, he would find someone in Hawthorne who could help him on his case. And so Mogshu continued his questioning, heading towards an open tent, where a smiling hyur waved him over. >>

[19:48]Kada'to Jakkya: “Evening, kupo!” Mogshu began, “Do you know-“ But before he could finish, the woman giggled and rushed over to him, pulling the moogle into a tight hug. “Oh goodness, you’re even more adorable up close!” Mogshu struggled valiantly to free himself, but her grip was tighter than iron. “And you’re so fluffy~” She cooed, already beginning to scratch him on the head. Mogshu wiggled this way and that, until finally he was free! “I wasn’t finished talking, kupo!” (2/2)

[19:52]Karaan Nolan: Mogshu narrows his eyes on the hyur."I want to know if you know anything about the stealing of the beard, kupo!" The woman giggled and nod at him." Yes..but what I gain, oh lovely fluffly lord." The Pominvestigator wasn't a fool, he knew how dangerous some of those strange race were."I let you play with the Pom, kupo" He points at the almighty pom over his head, while the woman chuckles and nods happily." It seems that the Sylph aren't the only one with problem with their Primal." She stops -c-

[19:54]Karaan Nolan: and leans closer to him. "I heard two Ixal speaking, about the lost of the Lady of the Vortex feather...someone is stealing the precious Primal power...for itself, oh lovely fuffly Moggle." The Pominvestigator frowns and listens, taking note. "oh, interesting kupo!" She points at herself." I know where you could see them...there is a secret place named the PrimalMart where Primal meets and talks...I can show you.." Mogshu blinks."The Primalmart...what is that, kupo.."

[19:58]Rheya Tayuun: The Pomvestigator was curious, because he hadn't ever heard of something like this, but... It was a lead. And leads were meant to be followed! So he let the woman who had beckoned him over carry him along into the deep ways of the Shroud, and repaid her kindness by letting her nuzzle his pom to her heart's content while they traveled. Eventually, they came to a deep cave, black and forboding. The strange woman let the Pomvestigator go, and pointed into it's inky depths. <1/2>

[20:01]Rheya Tayuun: "This is the way into the PrimalMart. I was gathering berries near here once and saw Ramuh go in, followed by Garuda. The caves stretch for malms and malms, so be careful. Follow the right hand wall, until you see the stalactites that glow a bright red. At them, take a left." The Pomvestigator nodded firmly, and set off with a will. Even if his quaking wings did threaten to make him walk a time or three! Dark caves are guaranteed to have spooky things in them, and he didn't look forwards to it!

[20:04]Syranelle Ironleaf: In to the onyxian gloom of the caves did our brave Pomvestigator make his way.  As Mogshu found the glowing red stalactites, he turned left as instructed.  What he found there was nothing short of astonishing.  Twin glass doors slid open with a cheerful chime and an automated voice, "Welcome to Primalmart!  Prime all of your life!"  He grimaced, that was such a terrible slogan.  Moving past the doors, he saw that the dank, spooky caves gave way to a well-lit, series of small shops! >>

[20:06]Syranelle Ironleaf: Not only that, but there was Ifrit who seemed to be getting his Nails done at a salon-like booth.  The woman doing his nails chattered incessantly, filing and polishing them to a fiery shine.  At another stall, Mogshu saw Shiva trying some new icicles in her hair.  This really /was/ a store just for Primals.  They had to get all that stuff from somewhere, he supposed.  Maybe this was where Ramuh got his beard!  He began to browse the aisles in search of them.

[20:10]Karaan Nolan: Mogshu tries not to bring any attention toward him while he flies around the different aisles, looking for clues or anything that may tell him who could have stole Ramuh's Beard or Garuda's Feather. He stops at a small shop, where a tall creature was looking at what is looking like a pet shop, but with butterfly in it. The tall creature frowns." I need them to carry my sword ...big and strong.." Mogshu's little attention turns toward a crashing sound. Two massive form were throw out of -c-

[20:12]Karaan Nolan: the bar section. A tall clad wearing armor glances at the drunk Primal, bickering about their people, Titan and Leviathan. "Don't come back before..." Odin stops and sighs." Sorry..guys, shop close, need to go scare some adventurer in the Shroud." He closes the door of his tavern and walks away. Mogshu stays silent when he saws the Most Kind and Powerful of the Primal flying near him. The Pomvestigator bows his head when the Great King Mog stops near his small follower. "Moghsu? "

[20:16]Rheya Tayuun: Mogshu bows deeply to the Lord of the Levins, and nods. "Yes, o Great and Powerful Ramuh! Lord of the Lightning! Please don't smite me for trespassing on this hallowed ground, but I was hired to find your missing beard!" That earns a moment of silence, before the Primal burst out into ear-splitting gales of laughter. Pomvestigator Mogshu cowered for a moment before realizing it was mirth and not wrath, and slowly started to chuckle along with the Primal. <1/2>

[20:21]Syranelle Ironleaf: Mogshu stared for a long moment... before he shuddered.  Envisioning Ramuh in the shower was NOT something he'd needed to do today.  "Well, it's good that you found a replacement, kupo!"  Mogshu said cheerfully, "But it doesn't do that you've still one missing.  If you'll permit me, I'll do my best to find it and see it safely returned!"  Ramuh shrugged.  "Tis not something you should worry your little pom over, I've alread--" But Mogshu interrupted.  "No-no-no!"  >>

[20:23]Syranelle Ironleaf: "I was tasked with finding your beard and find it I shall!"  The little moogle exclaimed before running out of Primalmart, right past drunken Titan and Leviathan, the rock giant awkwardly patting the serpent's back as it retched into a trash can.  "Moogle Mog's Kingly Whiskers, this day is so /odd/..."  To the Sevenfang Falls Mogshu went, though, and there he found...

[20:27]Karaan Nolan: The Pomvestigator roams around the Sevenfang Falls for an hour, before resting his little wing near the fall. He sighs and ponders a bit." No sign of any beard, nor feather, kupo!" He takes one of the kupo nuts and eats it."Well..well..who will acquire something from stealing a beard from Ramuh, kupo!" He says when he hears a sound coming from behidn the fall. Something or someone was lurking behind the water. He uses his Moogle power and silently fly toward the fall, wondering -c-

[20:27]Karaan Nolan: The Pomvestigator roams around the Sevenfang Falls for an hour, before resting his little wing near the fall. He sighs and ponders a bit." No sign of any beard, nor feather, kupo!" He takes one of the kupo nuts and eats it."Well..well..who will acquire something from stealing a beard from Ramuh, kupo!" He says when he hears a sound coming from behidn the fall. Something or someone was lurking behind the water. He uses his Moogle power and silently fly toward the fall, wondering -c-

[20:30]Karaan Nolan: When he arrives at the fall, the voice was more clear, someone was preparing a plan, to ruin the Starlight Celebration of everyone, not just Sylph or Ixal, but even the others. Mogshu knew that only one evil creature could do that. He flies throught the water and screams. "Stop! Pomwitches of the West..I, Moghsu, the Pomvestigator Extraordinaire will stop you!" The Pomwitches turns her eyes toward her nemesis and chuckles. "You are too late..I finish..my creation is ready.." Moghsu shivers and..

[20:36]Rheya Tayuun: The Pomvestigator stared in horror at the creation hovering before him. It was a robe of black and purple, much like the Lord of Levin's own. Although... It looked like it had been sewn together from hundreds of scraps of colored cloth. That wouldn't be so bad, but it was being held up by the coven of the Pomwitches. And the Wicked Pomwitch of the West was wearing the missing beard! She could barely be seen among it's hairy depths.  <1/2>

[20:41]Syranelle Ironleaf: What was he to do?  Mogshu tapped his tiny paws together, considering his options.  "You'll never get away with this, Pomwitches!"  The trio of moogle mages danced in a circle, the bearded one dragging Ramuh's beautiful beard in the dirt and grass.  Wait, that was it!  Ramuh's beard carried a latent electrical charge from the Lord of Levin, if he could just get them to give their bearded leader a shock... Mogshu nodded, his course of action decided.

[20:43]Syranelle Ironleaf: "I challenge you to game of wits!"  He proclaimed, pointing at one of the smaller Pomwitches.  "And it will decide whether I let you go or not!"  The Littlest Pomwitch cackled.  "You're no match for me, Mogshu, what is your challenge?"  Mogshu replied, "I bet you can't do as I do!"  He rubbed his furry belly with one hand and pat his head with the other.  The Pomwitch only scoffed and imitated him, building up the static charge on her paws.  Now to get her to touch the bearded one...

[20:48]Karaan Nolan: Mogshu hid a grin behind his paw." Oh this is the first step of my challenge, kupo!" He says while he looks at all the Wicked Pomwitches of the West." I am sure you can't dance better than me, kupo, I can dance..and fly better than all of you!" He glances." And I can do it, while doing the first challenge." The Littlest Pomwitch cackled and followed the challenge, dancing and moving closer to the creation."And I am sure you, you can't rub your Pom on her as fast as I can do, kupo!"

[20:51]Karaan Nolan: The Littlest Pomwitch chuckles and rubs her furry belly while leaning near her leader, wearing the Mighty One beard. "I can and I will! You have fail Pomvestigator, you will be in ruin and you will be ours!" She cackled and touches the beard with her pom, the moment the two touches, it feels like a storm in the small cavern, electricity spread in the air and travels from the poor little Pomwitches toward the beard. The Pomvestigator hides itself behind a rock and closes his eyes, waiting for…

[20:55]Rheya Tayuun: ...the Eorzea-shattering KABOOM of thunder as the static in the Littlest Pomwitches' fur discharges into the beard, and from there LASHES out in a bolt of Ramuh's mighty Lightning! It arcs across the room and slashes into the waterfall, making it glow all kinds of pretty colors and bursts of steam! At the same time, the robe's stray threads caught fire and went up in a WHOOOSH! The Pomwitches were stunned for a few moments, looking owlishly at the Pomvestigator with soot-blackened faces. <1/2>

[20:58]Rheya Tayuun: "Curse you, Pomvestigator! A thousand curses! We were SO CLOSE!" The Wicked Pomwitch of the West shrieked at him. The great mass of Ramuh's Spare Beard was unsinged, but the lightning had made it stand out all spiky, and the Pomwitch looked like one of those puff-plants people ride! If they had a Pom with a flaming witches' hat on it, that is...

[21:01]Syranelle Ironleaf: Mogshu collected the puffed-out beard and returned with it to his office.  There, he presented it proudly to the Sylph.  "Here you are, friend!  One Ramuh Beard, recovered as promised!"  The Sylph did a little dance of joy.  "Kupo One is very good to Flying One, brings back Great One's beard!"  The sylph takes it gratefully, hugging it close.  "Now Flying One and Friends can decorate it to give to Ramuh for Starlight!  Kupo One has made this one's holiday all the brighter!" >>

[21:02]Syranelle Ironleaf: And so it was that Starlight was saved and the Pomwitches plans foiled.  What good cheer and merriment would the Sylph's gift to Ramuh bring?  That remains to be seen.  However, all could rest well knowing that the holiday would proceed uninterrupted with gifts for all the good little boys and girls... all thanks to one Special Pomvestigator Mogshu!