If you ask me to stancedance one more fucking time..

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny part to me is how people are like proud of how bad they are. Like, "Heh I'm the healer and I'll just let them die if they complain." or "It's the 'let's see how low I let your health drop until I mass burst you back to full health and give you cardiac arrest 4 times in one EX Roul.'"

;)

Don't you sometimes wish you could perfectly tank and heal at the same time? I usually do Experts as a healer because I'm not partial towards running 4-man content with Heal-Only Types and I'm confident that muh deeps can help get the run done faster. But then you get the tank that never pulls more than one pack of trash at a time... or they DO but they don't use any cooldown thus gimping your DPS opportunities.

So... then you queue as a tank because FUCK that, and then you get the healer that doesn't DPS - worse, it's a SCH. You even pull timidly at first and shuffle your cooldowns accordingly, but it doesn't matter. Nothing. Sometimes they might throw out a non-Cleric'd Aero or Bio as if they think they're Toto-Rak or some shit. That's it. Every time you tank it's as if all the Holy Bombing 360 Stone-scoped healers have dispersed into aether.

DPS... doesn't matter. You want the faster queue time and the DPS are either going to be great or magnificently incompetent. Worth a gamble. The only time you'll ever experience an in-between is when you bite the bullet and wait 15-20 minutes, and your co-partner is a MCH that doesn't use Hot Shot because he thinks Gauss Barrel cancels it out.

So anyway... what I'm trying to say is: You just can't win in this game. Try and have fun, though.

I think that taking outright the descriptions done by the MARKETING department on SE website is what is disingenuous here, really... ._.

Especially when SE actual devs seem to have heated internal debates on how heal DPS should be considered.

Technically speaking, if the monster dies faster, it does less damage to the party, and therefore there is less effective healing needed? Granted, this also applies to the tank. I often joke that my tanking style is "if I kill it fast, nobody takes damage and therefore I tanked it for them."

But then again, that's kinda my point. DPS is a shared responsibility in this game, moreso than in other MMO, it seems. I don't know any other way to explain it. Combat roles have more than one purpose.*Shrug*

I remain unconvinced that Healer or Tank damage is necessary in Experts unless the DPS are complete failures at the game.

I also remain unconvinced that it's necessary or wise to expect raid-level performance from people pugging through a random-match system.

And I further remain unconvinced that any of this justifies the kind of abuse I've witnessed in the Roulette system.

I'll not speak about failures here. For example, your average DPS in expert will not always go above 1000-1200 DPS. I consider a DPS above that to be a good DPS (even if they could do above 1500 and be a very good DPS).

1000 DPS is what I reach with a damn WhM when tank is doing a good job and nothing stupid happens. In half of my games I'm just below them, and top DPS on some packed pulls when I unleash everything I have.

Now, just make the math really. 20-30% less time spent on mobs, with 20-30% healing less, or even more since tank cooldowns wear off after a point so you need to heal even more.

No kind of abuse will ever be justified though. That's another issue.

Threads like this are seen by up and coming healers. I'm not sure whether it alleviates their concerns, or multiplies them.

To be honest, I think that depends on a great many factors.

1. How new are they to MMORPGs?

2. Have they ever played a healing class in a MMORPG before?

2a. If so, what archetype?

3. How's their situational awareness?

4. How confident are they in their ability to multitask under pressure?

5. How do they approach, handle, accept, and/or refute concerns or criticisms regarding their performance?

...but then, this thread hasn't really been about up and coming healers, so I'm not entirely sure why they should be concerned with or by this thread.

EDIT: When I started healing as CNJ/WHM in FFXIV, my only previous experience with a healer class had been SWTOR's Medicine Operative. I knew from playing through FFXIV as WAR and MNK -- and from reading these forums -- that I'd need to learn how to Cleric Stance and DPS... not to fulfill expectations but to contribute my best. It was intimidating as hell at first, because Med Op had been mostly instant heals and instant HoTs coupled with low-cost attacks. But you know what? I had sixty levels in which to learn how to do so, how to stance-dance. And I did, with my fair share of mistakes along the way.

EDIT 2:

[video=youtube]