A request to those of us already with personal houses and/or altitis

Seriphyn

nvm total hypocrite

Since it appears that there won't be as many apartments available as first thought, I figured I'd put this thought out to people. There are many of us that have laboured and struggled for an eternity to etch themselves a piece of private property, and for whatever reason, have not been able to do so. This could include RL commitments preventing them from investing the time to just plain bad luck.

I already own a small cottage that I use as Kale's quarters and barracks for his men. I wouldn't mind an apartment to serve as some other RP location. I'm also part of an FC. Easily, I could own my own cottage, a private chamber, and an apartment. I decided to opt against this, and keep at least one space available for someone else (even if, unfortunately, it might be gobbled up by someone who has all of the previous). Those who suffer from altitis, too, it would be good to just have one property for your account, right? 

Square Enix has missed the mark once again by letting people who already own private plots to buy apartments, so hopefully with a little community thought, we can provide this opportunity to others!

BTW, if anyone ever catches me owning an apartment (and there hasn't been any additional apartments added), feel free to call me out on it in private lol...I'll give it up to someone for free! goddamnit I hope I don't change my mind

Truthfully, I think you're preaching to the choir here. :/ Most of those guilty of snapping up multiple residences aren't on this site (and often aren't rpers at all).

Kind of have to agree with this. Or those that are tend to use housing across multiple characters as alt residences or businesses.

I won't take any property for my alts until it's more widely available, regardless of how solid my IC motivations. I'd feel weird taking that opportunity away from someone else when I'd already had my own chance.

Like... idk. It's one of the reasons I'm so annoyed there isn't better provision for high population realms. I wish everyone got the chance to run as many things as they wanted out of as many properties as their in-game wallet would let them buy.

I'll try for an apartment and, if I get one, see if I can't refine the nebulous idea I had for a business (that I didn't want to refine before I obtained space to execute it in). If I get one and later have an opportunity for the Small estate I truly want, and apartments are full, I'll relinquish mine upon my purchase of the cottage.

My alts can have FC rooms (that aren't suitable as public RP venues, due to the nature of my FC, but will at least give them space to express their IC decorating tastes in).

Truthfully, I think you're preaching to the choir here. :/ Most of those guilty of snapping up multiple residences aren't on this site (and often aren't rpers at all).

That's not strictly true, there are many people who frequent this site who have multiple properties to their name, and/or are the leader of an FC as well. RPers are capable of just as much bad will for others as anyone else. It's a minion eat minion world out there, and most will site: "It's just a game." "Anyone else would do the same if they had the chance." ...sure.

Steel has an FC room and Cassie knows nobody whatsoever. Along with general disgust at XIV's housing, my mind was made up before this post.

All the same, I support this idea, even if it'll likely come to naught in the grander scheme of Balmung. I applaud your line of thinking. <3

As someone who worked their hands to the bone for months grinding enough gil to help buy an FC home, (especially with the insane amount of money people are asking to relinquish plots), I fully support this. Everyone has a right and should have the privilege of having their own little place to call home. 

Please be kind to one another. If you have a place already, think of those who work so hard just to enjoy that aspect of the game.

What is going to be the difference between houses and apartments?

Apartments are essentially going to be free company rooms without the need for a free company, accessed through a hub building in each of the wards/subdivisions. 90 apartments for each, so 6480 per server. As that's significantly lower than the server pop (not even counting altaholics) and there's no restriction on owning them, it means that patch day is once again going to be a mad dash for housing with everyone crashing the server instantly as they rush to instantly sign on and snatch them up.

They have commented in the live letter that the number of apartments can be increased, encouraging people not to worry about availability. I would think/hope that they have made increases easy because apartments was sort of a response to the lack of houses.

Personally I am going to try to get apartments on the characters that are eligble for it, because it ties in with my future plans for RP. I own a medium house, which because I couldn't find a personal use for it, I converted into an open RP space. An apartment I would be more easy on relinquishing, or giving it to someone who needed it for RP. The latter of course assuming that relinquishing for a specific person would be easy, which i currently doubt since you'll have so many players in the same place.

Like, as harsh as it sounds, people wont stop buying up multiple lots before square learns to put them in a pricerange where it is not feasible. It would only take me 2 weeks at most to get the gil for two rooms, doing just some moderate fairly low tier crafts, running aqua etc. I know it is not that easy for everyone but it is the reality for a big portion of our super populated server.

I don't suppose apartments will come with chocobo stabling abilities and/or gardens?

There will be a chocobo stables outside the apartment buildings, however there won't be gardening.

One out of two isn't bad! I'll take that.

I think the only thing I'd reasonably ask for is don't try to get them on patch day if you already have a house?

Like... after the initial rush we can see how many (if any) are left over. We can see how the addition of new apartments to each building works. We can make an informed decision of what to do based on our particular brand of alt-itis or the particular idea we had for an apartment vs existing house.

Leave the patch-day rush to people who've never got to play with owning property in the housing system before? If it is indeed that we won't have to worry about availability, then it won't be much skin off your nose to wait for a week or two.

I think the only thing I'd reasonably ask for is don't try to get them on patch day if you already have a house?

Like... after the initial rush we can see how many (if any) are left over. We can see how the addition of new apartments to each building works. We can make an informed decision of what to do based on our particular brand of alt-itis or the particular idea we had for an apartment vs existing house.

Leave the patch-day rush to people who've never got to play with owning property in the housing system before? If it is indeed that we won't have to worry about availability, then it won't be much skin off your nose to wait for a week or two.

I think this is more reasonable. I don't think people will buy them who already have FC houses and get the same room for cheaper (they're the same size, just 200k more expensive), or already own a house. People will get them for IC reasons, but honestly it's no different than an FC room, just a more localized place for RPers. I'd like to get one for Reine, for IC reasons since she's not affiliated with a group for an FC room, but it's not worth staying up for.

As someone who already has a cottage, an FC with a mansion, and various FC private chambers, I'm not going to take up an apartment space until they're readily available, particularly as I don't find it very useful to have the equivalent of another FC private chamber. I really wish SE would fix this housing mess. :( It's frustrating to me that those of us with the means for multiple housing arrangements cannot do so without feeling guilty and potentially earning the ire of the community, and that's not even touching on how much it sucks for people who can't even get a single house.

The only upside this has if you have an FC or own a small is that the room is not subject to demolition. It also means a FC leader can not go apeshit and kick everyone out of the fcand house) before quitting the game. A personal room wouldn't be subject to FC drama.

As others here have already said, I plan on waiting a few days before I check to see if there are any apartments. I do have a handful of alts without an FC that I'd like to get personal rooms for, one of which would be very suited IC for an apartment, but it's not a necessity. I honestly don't play him much and if I really just want space for him, I can toss him in my main FC and call it a day. I really hope that SE fixes the housing situation, though, and that all of those without one are capable of buying them. 

You'd think they'd be able to manage something outside of a glorified FC room though. I get that there are certain limitations, but why not allow the room to have some sort of balcony or something? Idunno. At any rate, good luck to everyone that will be involved in the mad rush for apartments!

Some of these replies are real gems. :roll:

Asking for a note of giving or reason in this community is like yelling into a yawning void hoping for a reply. That isn't a reply you are hearing, it is the echo of your voice bouncing off greedy minds.

Sweet a sentiment as it is, this game tends to summon up an all-for-one attitude rather than a one-for-all, so those members who concede to the appeal of avoiding apartments, are likely the ones who just have no use for one because they have so much space beyond the norm at their disposal, rather than a call to fairness. I guess in the end that works just as well, but one is just more humorous to me.