The New 3.4 RP Status: What it means

ZOMGodzilla

I have mixed feelings about this new status icon. I really wish that it was added a long time ago but there we go. I now feel forced to use it to let others know that i'm available for role play.

Now, I don't play with player character names on as I dislike blue letters hovering over peoples heads all over the place and especially when role playing.

So with that, I never see anyones status icon anyway unless I target and click them. I was just role playing yesterday and somebody whispered me the following:

"Are you a roleplayer?" (At this moment I am quite clearly roleplaying with someone.)

"You know there is an RP tag right?"

So I replied, Well I don't see peoples names or mine so I kind of just forgot about it.

"Well people might get confused..."

And he just went on and on.

Fair enough if the status icon had been around for quite some time. But it was a day.

I hate that I feel forced to use it now whenever I go to role play. I'm pretty much open to role play wherever I am unless i'm crafting, by the marketboards or in duty. All the places you usually don't find anyone being IC that often.

Does anyone else feel abit 'forced' to use this to indicate whether they are available to role play now?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate their implementation of it but I feel it's a little late for it but I do believe it'll also just be a matter of time before we all get used to it too.

I don't think the tag is in any way necessary for roleplayers engaging in roleplay. No one is obligated to use it, much like you're not obligated to use /busy or /afk. Rather, I think that using it when not roleplaying is what causes confusion or defeats the purpose of the tag. Like I said, it seems best applied when you accept walk-ups/are IC rather than as a "mentor-esque" label.

When it comes to the argument that it allows people to know that, in fact, "you're actually a roleplayer" my thought process is this:

By utilizing the rp tag as a label of your status as a roleplayer, you've effectively changed the location of your search info rp tag and lost the ability to indicate when you're IC, which is a far more important I think.

Which would you rather get? A more immediate presence of your search info "Roleplayer" or a way to tell everyone you're available for walk ups, negating the need for anyone to /tell you?

I was pretty fine with the way things were actually.

I just didn't appreciate the idea of which - now that we do have an RP icon that if I didn't have it on whilst role playing then I would somewhat be assumed unavailable to role play.

I quite like looking at search infos as I get to glean just a little more from the player/character than just the simple 'Roleplaying' status. As for taking away the need for a /tell, I prefer walkups much much more than a /tell that usually disturbs immersion for me anyway.

I don't think the tag is in any way necessary for roleplayers engaging in roleplay. No one is obligated to use it, much like you're not obligated to use /busy or /afk. Rather, I think that using it when not roleplaying is what causes confusion or defeats the purpose of the tag. Like I said, it seems best applied when you accept walk-ups/are IC rather than as a "mentor-esque" label.

When it comes to the argument that it allows people to know that, in fact, "you're actually a roleplayer" my thought process is this:

By utilizing the rp tag as a label of your status as a roleplayer, you've effectively changed the location of your search info rp tag and lost the ability to indicate when you're IC, which is a far more important I think.

Which would you rather get? A more immediate presence of your search info "Roleplayer" or a way to tell everyone you're available for walk ups, negating the need for anyone to /tell you?

See, most of the time I don't like walkups. If I'm available for rp, I prefer tells. If I have it on, it's a hint to other players to, oh I don't know, look at my search info, where it will then let them know that I would like them to send me a tell. Same thing with other players where it will let them know to just walk up and start rping.

There's not going to magically come a time where everyone uses the thing the same way. It's an indicator, not some super secret handshake that's gonna mean the same thing to everyone. :/

I suppose the problem's bigger on other servers, but since Balmung is already 'The RP server' (or as close as we have to an official one), I'm just going to assume that if someone has the tag on, aren't AFK, and aren't very obviously OOC (wearing speedos, jumping around, emote-spamming, etc), that it means they're IC and/or up for roleplay. I know that's what I'll be doing.

At worst I'll get told to bugger off.

I suppose the problem's bigger on other servers, but since Balmung is already 'The RP server' (or as close as we have to an official one), I'm just going to assume that if someone has the tag on, aren't AFK, and aren't very obviously OOC (wearing speedos, jumping around, emote-spamming, etc), that it means they're IC and/or up for roleplay. I know that's what I'll be doing.

At worst I'll get told to bugger off.

You've obviously have never met my characters....

I use it when I a IC. Or at least open to it. With Ritsu I sometimes hide in her room and do minor crafting stuff. So if people need to talk to her in there, cause switch gears. I keep it off for when I am doing content, def ooc.

Would I rp with someone who didn't use it?? Certainly, but I am already walk up shy so the symbol does at least make me feel a little more at ease about it.