New account here hoping I can ask, do the two Rp servers ever open up anymore?

Alashion

You're more than welcome to ask questions, Gilgamesh And Balmung are sometimes open very briefly after maintenance, getting onto the servers these days normally is extremely difficult as a result.

One method that people have been using has been to create a full slate of characters on an open server, then pay for a character transfer. This will allow you to bypass the server lock and you'll be able to move all of your characters over as a whole. It's not a perfect solution, but the only one we really have at the moment.

You're more than welcome to ask questions, Gilgamesh And Balmung are sometimes open very briefly after maintenance, getting onto the servers these days normally is extremely difficult as a result.

One method that people have been using has been to create a full slate of characters on an open server, then pay for a character transfer. This will allow you to bypass the server lock and you'll be able to move all of your characters over as a whole. It's not a perfect solution, but the only one we really have at the moment.

Do you know if steam account users can use their wallet to pay for a transfer? If so how much does it cost?

Not a problem, use the time to whip up those alts, refine your character's story, perhaps start a wiki page? Or use the RPC to make some contacts so that you can jump right in when you transfer over. :thumbsup:

Trust me, the $18 is so worth it, especially when you use it to transfer a full roster (8 characters) over. Gilgamesh as I hear had something of an implosion(iirc) in its roleplaying community and now it's even harder than before to get into. I can only speak for Balmung, with which I can guarantee is rife with opportunities, even just going in blind without any pre-made friends; roleplay is a plenty and everyone here's generally super friendly!

As an aside, "legacy" is a term that is no longer relevant. It means the server has been around in some form since 1.0. For a while, people could not transfer their characters off of a legacy server to a new server for balance reasons; that restriction was done away with some time back.

From what I've seen over time, while Gilgamesh used to be the 'non-legacy' unofficial RP server, most RPers have migrated to Balmung. Gilgamesh instead became known as the unofficial endgame raiding server.

Since these two servers are a sort of mecca for different reasons, no, they don't open to character creation. I have heard, however, that pre and post maintenance windows have been available recently, but you have to be faster than bot programs who jam as many characters in as they can in the approx 2 minutes you have.

• 3 months later...

Hello, I'm new but I wanted to start on Balmung and I saw this Thread.

Are there normally times where I can creat a character outside of maintenance? Is the server maintenance weekly? Because 18$ only to play the game on the Server I want sounds rather expensive.

No, not normally.

No, it's whenever they need to do it. Can be weeks without it or two in the same week.

I see.

How does Transfers work? Can I, for example, transfer characters from an european data center to Aether?

Yeah, afaik you can transfer from anywhere. The Mog Station has all the details on how to transfer, but ignore the 'can't transfer to char restricted servers'. It isn't true anymore.

No, not normally.

No, it's whenever they need to do it. Can be weeks without it or two in the same week.

I see.

How does Transfers work? Can I, for example, transfer characters from an european data center to Aether?

Here's a link with everything you need to know regarding transfers! The character has to be 3 days old, you can transfer up to 8 characters at once and you can transfer to closed servers despite saying you can't. And yes, you can transfer from EU to NA servers.

Good luck!

Thank you guys. I guess I will start a couple of characters, so that I have a variety of possible RP-Characters once I transfer to Balmung.

If you are open to waiting, we will likely see the final patch before Stormblood (3.56) released sometime this month or very early April. As there will be maintenance, that will be your best opportunity to sneak a character or two through. It's by no means guaranteed and you will want to have their appearance saved beforehand but it's an option.

• 1 month later...