How would you retire your character

As much as I hate the thought of retiring my characters, I have vague plans for them.  I'd like for them to all end up happy but I'm a terrible person to them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For Vesper, I'd like for her to retire eventually after a long career of thwarting evil plans and bringing political corruption to light.  Maybe with a significant other, maybe alone in the woods with her chocobo.  Heck, maybe she'll become an aldgoat shepherd again.  Alternatively, if there were to be a bad ending for her, it'd be a violent death only after fulfilling some major character arcs involving her backstory (dying with minimal regrets, tying up a lot of loose ends, and having her feel somewhat okay about dying because she finished all of her goals).

For N'zahrn, it's rather hard to say since I haven't RPed him much.  A definite bad ending would be getting possessed by voidsent and eventually getting taken out by guards/voidsent hunters.  A good ending?  Maybe remembering everything that happened to him before and coming to terms with it.  I could see him moving away from Eorzea not too long after, fading into the sunset with relative peace of mind.

For Chinua, I'd like for her to find happiness.  I could see her going into fashion design and eventually scoring a job at the Weaver's Guild or something.  Perhaps she becomes too busy with that to do any more adventuring and retires, focusing wholly on her career.  I could alternatively see her fading into obscurity as she's on the run.  Maybe hopping onto a boat and fleeing Eorzea.  A definite bad ending?  Getting slain by her former guardian, who is a wee bit possessive of her.  ... Ah scratch it, as bad as I am to my characters, I don't think I could do that to her.

This is something I chew on every now and then for all of my characters. I haven't reached the point for any of them in Final Fantasy but in prior games (CoH and WoW especially) it did eventually happen. Kind of funny that both their endings are somewhat similar.

Martiallais:

1) Heroic Sacrifice: This one is pretty spot on with the character. He's the knight that would turn around and hold the line so that everyone could escape safely. That or making some one man march ala: P7GeisRaias

Complete with some really great, hopeful (and catchy!) tune, of course. I am an unashamed big kid and while it would be sad, again, it would be fitting.

2) Go Home and Be a Family Man: Mar and Ellie finally (FINALLY) manage to carve out some semblance of stability in their lives and spend the rest of their days raising a little elezen or two, running the Bellworks/House Dufresne surrounded by family and friends.

Armand:

1) Vengeance/Revengeance: Vigilantes make a lot of enemies and maybe one catches up to him when his guard is down. Or perhaps a group of them decide to work together to put an end to him once and for all. It's even possible that some OTHER vigilante thinks he needs to be stopped for good (cause you know, those silly dark knight powers). Either way this is a bloody ending that probably involves some shades of a Knightfall-esque gauntlet of enemies (probably with Milloux at his side) with his other allies either arriving too late (RIP) or just in time to save him, but injuries force him into retirement.

2) Noble, Vigilante, Socialite, Philanthropist: With Armand also becoming an investor in the Ashen Clinic, it's entirely possible that he'll simply keep vigilante'ing while taking a more active role in the business. It would only be a slight shift in focus that would mean leaning more towards his socialite/noble nature but a lot of the clientele that the clinic sees could use something of an avenger (or gil-laden angel) to make certain they aren't just getting back into the same situation. Even then, I imagine he and Milloux would take time to travel regularly and see the world given that neither of them have really had a chance to explore too much of the world.

Hmm, great thread! I'll go through my three characters.

1) Roen: Given her compassionate nature and her ongoing quest to redeem herself for the wrongs that she believes rest on her shoulders, it would be perfectly within her character to go out in a blaze of glory, sacrificing herself to save others. Except, I as her player and her storyteller, don't think that would be very gratifying, at least for me.

She has been through a lot, with losses and personal tragedies, so when all is said and done, I would like for her to retire to a quiet life, having learned the lessons she sought to learn and some that she never wanted to learn. I am hoping she would look back on her life with a sense of wisdom and would be willing to pass those onto others as well.

But this being roleplay, who KNOWS if that is how it will end. I always love the fact that RP does throw things for an unexpected loop.

2) Brynnalia: She is much more self serving, always on the chase for the next perfect moment of happiness while working to fiercely preserve what she has. Being that she is on the greedy side of things but over-protective of the few she genuinely cares for... I believe it would make a great ending for her to learn self-sacrifice for others. She hasn't yet though.

OR she can have the life she always thought she never wanted. Settling down with one person to have a normal uneventful life and a happy family. It would amuse me to see her come to that realization, that she would actually enjoy being dull and mundane.

3) Raelisanne/Rissa/Josette: Death. It is the only way. Just how many go with her when she meets her end remains to be seen.

While I have no plans to retire Leonnaux as of yet, I have a vague idea of how I would do it if I had to.

Given the kind of lifestyle he leads, he would probably end up dead, either because he did something stupid and got himself killed or because he crossed the wrong person. Or maybe it would be an accidental death. The thing with Leonnaux is that he's actually pretty fun to write and he gets himself into a lot of different stuff that he maybe has no business getting into because functionally, he's still a kid. (IC he turns 20 at the end of July/the Fourth Astral Moon -- but he spent four of the past six years of his life aggressively hitting the books instead of exploring his own identity in... literally any capacity whatsoever, so he doesn't necessarily have the emotional/social maturity of someone who's 20. Work in progress. Someday he might mellow out but that day won't be tomorrow.)

In the event that his story takes an unforeseen turn for the better and he cleans up his act/learns when to shove it, I could see him quietly continuing his life as an academic. He still probably wouldn't live to be like eighty or whatever, but he'd probably continue to exist as an NPC who quietly goes about his business in the background.

Either way I don't see him settling down and pursuing any sort of family stuff. The closest he'd probably come to actually having a family would probably be a "found family" sort of thing and/or maybe finding a nice man or woman to maintain a stable relationship with.

But if I had to retire him tomorrow I'd definitely go the route of him getting ganked and left in a ditch somewhere.

(My first/other character, Percival, is effectively retired in her current form. She went back home to Ul'dah to be with her family after all the shit in Ishgard went down. She figured that she would be intruding on her (now-married) friend's life if she stayed with him in the Twelveswood so she's doing her own thing. If I ever picked her back up it would have to be with some major story changes but overall that would probably also be the starting point for any future version of her.)

I think it depends a lot on what happens in stormblood and the general state of the world. That eorzea is at war with garlemeld again is already taking a toll on Kallera.

This is all of course theoretical.

1. ending 1 "just call me Etoile."-Kallera, either from injury or revelation, decides to lay down her sword, no longer believing she needs to fight to belong, no longer ashamed of her family history. She returns to life as a tailor and craftswoman. In time, she becomes lonely in Gridania, as some of her friends die in war and orphaned children grow up, and eventually her wartime injuries and misuse of aether soon catch up with her. She is bedridden in her final days, but they are days not alone, as they are in the company of those still alive she's helped and protected. Content that she made her mark in the world, she passes away, and is buried under her real name.

2. ending 2 "May you die in the light of the crystal!"- Kallera loses herself in the violence at Ala Mihgo, believeing that Garlemeld is responsible for ruining her life and the world around her, she radicalizes into a Hydaelyn-crazed fanatic. Her vengance, at first seen as well and good by her friends, spins out of control as she starts killing both combatants and civilians getting in the way. Lost in the obsession of bringing the horror of war to Garlemeld, her friends are ultimately the ones who confront and kill her.

3. ending 3 "I'm standing where I need to be..."- After seeing the atrocities from both sides of the war, Kallera decides to change her name and help those hurt and displaced. Her loyalties are questioned when the friends discover she has been helping people on both sides of the conflict under her guise. Forced to choose between conscience and country, Kallera chooses the former, deciding to fight the revolutionaries in her group of friends to save the Garleans she had been helping. Whether she lives or dies largely depends on said conflict and its dice, but its safe to say Kallera ends up burning her bridges with Eorzea, as one of them is a Storm Lieutenant.

The only one of my characters I have ever given serious thought to retiring is Lan.

1. If I retire him but want to leave the chance that he may one day come back as a playable character I'll just have him step away from the direct action and maybe open up a school to teach tactics and strategy.

2. If I am totally done with Lan I will likely have him go out with a bang, hopefully surrounded by many bodies of Garleans that he has brutally killed as he fights to his last breath. Or maybe, he will blow up a Garlean base and let himself be consumed in the blast.

Kazu's probably going to be adventuring until he's too old to safely pick up a glaive, which leaves his two options as death or retirement. I don't have any specific plans to give him an untimely demiwe, but it's not like it's out of the question in his line of work. If he makes it to retirement, though, I see him becoming a storyteller and chronicler of fables that's always foisting unsolicited advice to young adventurers. That's the clearest image I have for him, so I suppose it's also the most likely.

Given how incredibly, stupidly reckless Perth responds to dangerous situations, it's really a wonder she hasn't died at all yet. In fact, in the last three instances in which made the most sense for her to die, the only reason she didn't was due to friends clawing her out of her self-inflicted messes. With that in mind, also weighing in the fact that she's terribly dramatic and thinks she needs to do everything herself (something that drives those close to her up a wall)...

She'll likeliest get herself killed trying to bite off more than she can chew. Maybe she thinks she's doing a friend a favour by confronting the man blackmailing them alone, only to have made her plans a bit too obvious and walk right in to a swift death. Or she finds more trouble on her own accord and can't be arsed to ask for help with it, only to find herself entirely overwhelmed. Or...

Her bad decisions catch up to her. The secret organisation she feigns her death to lose the trail of finds her, and snuffs her out before anyone can blink twice. Or she killed the wrong kid, perhaps with ties to the influential and once they caught wind of her name or alias, decided to avenge their lost one.

Death is never really expected in real life, unless someone's lying in their hospital bed and no progress is in sight. I'd like to think roleplay to be realistic is no different, and once a character has enough emotional sway on the characters around them, an abrupt and painful death can be great writing material for others. (I think the convenience of dying in front of an audience is rather trite, however. Why doesn't anyone ever fall off the edge of the earth for friends to piece together their fate? :la) And if a happy ending was in sight...

Perth swallows her bitterness and settles down, marrying and having a family. She'd normally emit a sarcastic laugh at the suggestion, but it is an option that's been presented to her enough times, and definitely a possibility. Time will tell.

Given how incredibly, stupidly reckless Perth responds to dangerous situations, it's really a wonder she hasn't died at all yet. In fact, in the last three instances in which made the most sense for her to die, the only reason she didn't was due to friends clawing her out of her self-inflicted messes. With that in mind, also weighing in the fact that she's terribly dramatic and thinks she needs to do everything herself (something that drives those close to her up a wall)...

She'll likeliest get herself killed trying to bite off more than she can chew. Maybe she thinks she's doing a friend a favour by confronting the man blackmailing them alone, only to have made her plans a bit too obvious and walk right in to a swift death. Or she finds more trouble on her own accord and can't be arsed to ask for help with it, only to find herself entirely overwhelmed. Or...

Her bad decisions catch up to her. The secret organisation she feigns her death to lose the trail of finds her, and snuffs her out before anyone can blink twice. Or she killed the wrong kid, perhaps with ties to the influential and once they caught wind of her name or alias, decided to avenge their lost one.

Death is never really expected in real life, unless someone's lying in their hospital bed and no progress is in sight. I'd like to think roleplay to be realistic is no different, and once a character has enough emotional sway on the characters around them, an abrupt and painful death can be great writing material for others. (I think the convenience of dying in front of an audience is rather trite, however. Why doesn't anyone ever get fall off the edge of the earth for friends to piece together their fate? :la) And if a happy ending was in sight...

Perth swallows her bitterness and settles down, marrying and having a family. She'd normally emit a sarcastic laugh at the suggestion, but it is an option that's been presented to her enough times, and definitely a possibility. Time will tell.

I figure the constant conflicts that involves a character has to at some point come to a head, myself. Inner demons are definitely something Kallera will have to face one day, and not merely because of being a dark knight.

If Zhara retires on a good note she probably would work in the Eorzean music industry for the rest of her life, managing bards. If she's single she might adopt a daughter along the way and just live out her life. If things go to plan with her and Chachan or some other guy (or girl), she'd probably settle down, have kids, and raise them. 

If Zhara were to die tragically... well I think it'd be very similar to this: 

BXpHjP6rJqg

One of the many inspirations for Zhara is Selena with her dancing, style of music, and even costumes. So sadly I could see Zhara either being assassinated on stage or killed somewhere off stage by a crazy fan.

Normally, I'd see Sara most likely pass during combat in hopefully a rather heroic way to where she's protected those she cares for and allows them to live, as Sara lives for heroics and helping others.

Buuuuut, to get away from just killing her off, whenever Sara would finally lay down her sword for good, she'd most likely focus on learning to write and read as best as possible, and then would start to write fiction novels. Heroic, clichè, cheesy fiction with the protagonist managing to always come on top and save most likely the world with their allies. She'd of course, exaggerate her own past conflicts to write in these stories, but I think it'd be nice for her to be able to just enjoy a peaceful life and living her heroics through her writing for when she's unable to still fight. Probably living alone, but close to her pretend sister. She'd be happy nonetheless.

Haven't really thought of this, especially since I JUST started Sigmund as a character, but I have retired two characters before and they were rather somber. My first long-term character was retired by dying, being a rather old man and was pushed off of a ledge into a bay. He bled out. The more recent (and relevant!) character, Tataraji, that I am named after is currently jailed, having his past catch up to him and his schemes land him in the big house. Of course this doesn't have to be a permanent retirement, but I made it one since I fantasia'd him. 

Hopefully Sigmund will be retired by settling down and having a family, as the general theme of this thread has been, but I doubt that's how it'll turn out, since I usually retire due to other player's IC actions.

I had my character sort've retire once from working under the Maelstrom. Just due to not being content with the conditions of being ordered around specifically and feeling he reached the potential of knowledge he could gain from working in a military service to further his magical expertise and physical skills. However he's not done aiding in conflicts or just living out his life, if anything, I could only see him retiring through a death or sacrifice through means like his father/mother gave on using too much aether for the greater good for someone else. Id' want the cheesy heroic noble death cuz I love cheese. :cactuar:

Setoh has retired with his mate to a little house in La Noscea. They're living off their ill-gotten gains, and raising a newborn daughter. Setoh has been practicing what he'll say to any boys who want to date her when she's older.

C'kayah tried retirement and found it ill-suited him. He got bored and jumped back into the game.

Lorin (my newest main) is a Sharlayan maker and refugee from their outpost in Dravania. He's currently living in Limsa, making oddball things that he sells out of a little shop, and probably will never retire.