Of Pearls and Blossoms

A Pearl white palm pushed against the trunk as the other free one had began to pull at the roots of the vegetable, Ayako had finally decided to leave her small hut towards the heart of the East Shroud to go and collect ingredients and items for the stew she had planned for later that evening. 

Brushing her pink locks to the side, the Raen gave one final tug on the leaves and gasped as the force of the pull caused the girl to tumble to the green grass below her feet and after she had stuffed the unknown plant into her satchel, she had ventured off to the small river that ran along the tavern near Quarrymill. Sitting on a small stone at the mouth of the quiet stream of water the woman watched as the fish swam quickly past her, timing when the next would come upstream Ayako had reached a hand in and grasped a rainbow scaled fish in her small hand and smiled in satisfaction at the size of the animal.

After the death of the Xaela man who had brought her to live here in seclusion had passed, the Raen had to adapt quick to a life of seclusion, but a life out of the sea was something she wasn’t prepared for. It took her only two hours before she had reached her little hut that sat behind tall trees for cover, Opening the door Ayako placed the food items on the makeshift table and went to clean herself up before she would set the mats and bowls of Yanxian rice on the dining table the Xaela had made for her as a house warming gift-

Edited by RaenRain
Typos

Rubbing the soil from out of the creases in her delicate palms, the auri wiped the water from her skin and trudged quietly over to the fireplace. The sirloin has been cooking since she had left to gather the sides and more food for the coming days, reaching in with a clothed hand the pink haired woman brought the meat out and lay it upon a piece of flat wood she used to rub seasonings into said slabs of food. 

Just as she brought a handful of salt up, a soft but audible knock resonated through the small hut. Wiping her hands of the mineral on the floral tablecloth, Ayako stood from her seat and opened the door to see a couple. They lived across the stream in Quarrymill and would occasionally make the trek to her humble abode to purchase the scented oils and beauty products she hand made from the memory of her mother’s instructions. Handing over the dark red vial to the pair once they gave her the gil required to get it, the Elezen woman smiled “Will you be coming to town this evening?” The pearl skinned woman furrowed her brows in question, the tall elderly woman pocketed the rose scented oil “there is a band of far eastern merchants stopping by to sell their goods and almost everyone who knows of you understands your wish to travel back home.” Ayako’s eyes widened in disbelief at the news “thank you for bringing me this news, I’d have never gotten it if you never visited” bidding the pair goodbye, the Auri turned to go and finished the meal she hoped would be last in the place she and her companion had built not even a year ago prior to his passing.

Edited by RaenRain

Once the sun had snuck behind the tall mountains and treetops of the twelveswood, the moon had creeped out from its place on the other half of the world to gaze upon the almost silent land. Stuffing a large leather satchel of Gil into her traveling pack, the short woman sighed in relief that when she lifted her head from frantically putting items into the berry colored bag, she saw only old furniture and clean tabletops. Most of the items in her bag was dry meat and fruits with a few outfits she had sewn herself during her time here in the dense forest, the small pouches on the sides were full of the treasures and trinkets she’s collected as well. Maybe the merchants wouldn’t take her along unless they were given something for the weight of another person in their caravan? She didn’t know, but taking this chance to take a not as expensive trip back home to the village under the waves in the Far East was definitely worth losing most of her goods. 

Only a a few moments later, the pink haired girl was already sprinting along the dirt trail that lead to the little town. Stepping past the wooden beams of the entrance to Quarrymill, the sound of familiar music and loud chatter rang through her skull, in the center of town was a large deep red colored caravan with several men and women in various styles of clothing who not so obviously lured the townspeople into their tents for a varied array of goods and consumables. It didn’t take long for Ayako to recognize the leader of the merchant group, he was adorned in jewelry and had the familiar protrusions of a Xaelan jutting from the sides of his head. Stepping forth and into the line that snaked in several directions in front of the man, the pearl skinned female sighed as she held the bag so close to the dirtied cloth of her shirt. It was her turn. It had only taken an hour or so before she stood in front of the towering male. “Is there something you desire?” His voice was gruff, as was the fine wrinkles that stretched across his pale skin. “Yes! I- uh, are you perhaps by any chance traveling to Othard once your business here is done?” The woman’s voice barely reached him but it was enough for him to process her words “How does this question concern my caravan?” He asked with a furrow of one brow. “I wish to travel home! I did not mean to come here intentionally but it was in the spur of the moment and I’ve been stuck here ever since!” She proclaimed with a stomp to the dirt floor.

Edited by RaenRain
  • 2 weeks later...

The man stroked his aged horns and examined the woman as if she were something he could put in a wealthy family’s palms, he finally spoke when she tilted her head a bit to the side in question at the long silence. “I need compensation for another body in my travels young lady” The male paused to stare at the powder blue stone that hung from her neck, the taller pointed to the piece of jewelers and made a motion with his hand that gave the impression he wanted it. Looking down at the necklace, Ayako’s eyes widened as her hand came up to circle around the jewel “This? I can’t give this away-“ she was interrupted by the grunt of the elder “then I cannot take you back to Othard young one.” The woman looked to her feet and with shaky hands, unclasped the chain and held it out “please, take me along.” She flinched when the feeling of a gruff hand snatched the jewel from her pale palm. With a nod and a sigh as he fingered the necklace, Ayako was grabbed by the wrist and led into a small tent by a squat Xaelan woman.

Edited by RaenRain
  • 1 year later...

The flaps of the tent blew past her as she was practically pushed into the little abode, her hand unconsciously went up to grasp at her chest for the gem, but she realized that the man had just taken it from her hands and was now handing it over to an elderly Hyuran woman. Her aged hands gently took the stone from the Auri man, her pale colored eyes grazing over the stones smooth blue surface, and without a sound she lifted her head and directed her gaze towards Ayako “I am sorry to give you this news, but this trinket of yours cannot pay for another persons worth of traveling expenses.” The woman shook her head slowly and held the gem out to the Raen. “I can do other things for gil!” Ayako blurted out without hesitation, with those words the elder’s brow quirked in semi-interest. Ayako suddenly froze in place, what could she provide?- her oils and scents were a way to help comfort herself, but an idea had come to mind after mere moments of racking her mind. “I can dance!” The girl said, a finger pointed in the air “Each stop I may go and dance in the streets or town center, and the cup I place before my feet shall gather the money I owe to you for your services”.

Edited by RaenRain

𝚃𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚂𝚔𝚒𝚙 (Days Later) 

The breeze of the sea was a familiar one, the small trading caravan was now traversing what seemed to be La Noscea countryside. “Summerford Farms” is what some Lalafellin fellow said to her, and that not too far from their location was their planned destination. 

Limsa Lominsa was gorgeous from an outside view, it’s white stoned pathways and many bridges really gave her the idea of it looking like some sort of stone jungle. The many farmers and groves they passed on their way were beautiful, some farmhands waved to them with a smile on their sweaty faces and some even came forward to buy things from the merchants, that ranged from toys to pretty ornaments for their families, and all Ayako did was smile and shyly wave at the ones who greeted her.

After setting up their tents and their shops just outside of the city, the woman immediately switched into the more lighter, red costume that she was gifted by a fellow traveler, and as she slipped the poofed armlets onto her slim arms, she realized that the garments were far better suited for dancing, rather than the small shorts and frilly shirt she wore for her previous performances. The bustling markets of Limsa were unsurprisingly aggressive as she tried to find a small spot to start, shoppers would brush past and jostle her without thought but it didn’t take long for her to bob and weave from out of the crowds and into a small clearing that sat between the two market strips. 

The medium sized rug was thrown over the floor near the clearings edge, and the crumpled tin can she carried was gently placed onto the edge of the patterned fabric she laid out. Ayako blew out a breath in the hopes that her nerves would be soothed, she’s danced plenty of times before this but... with the amount of people around, and the fact that she’s been told of pirates lingering around, did not help her in any way. 

The rhythm of the music in her head began to beat, and with it’s continuation she began to move her feet, eyes closed. The sound of claps and hollering pierced through the symphony in her mind, and when she opened her eyes to see what the cause of the ruckus was, she found about half a dozen folk, cheering and clapping in what seemed to be glee. 

Edited by RaenRain

Before her steps could even continue in the hot La Noscean sun, the sound of coins jingling against the fragile metal of the cup at her feet garnered her attention. A small pile of coins glinted in the light, the golden sheen causing a small feeling of warmth to bloom in the depths of her chest. 

The day continued on like this, with every sweep of her feet, and every wave of her scarlet covered arms did the small crowd clap in joy at the performance. The small beads of perspiration were beginning to roll down her pearl colored skin, but the breeze of the ocean was oddly satisfying as it blew a somewhat cool air onto her heated flesh... but she didn’t pay it any mind as she went about her movements, a sweet smile gracing her painted lips the entire time. 

The setting of the sun in the distance was a pretty sight, it’s glowing aura seeming to dip into the sea to sleep for the night to come. She had just spent a bit of the earned gil on a few pieces of bread and a jug of an odd yet sweet tasting juice. The wooden walkway that sat under her bottom was polished and uncomfortable, but her legs swayed in the air above the blue sea, one arm holding her person up as her other would lift the food to her mouth, taking a bite of the warm bread every few moments. 

The night was upon them now, the stars and moon hovered in the heavens above the campsite of the traders, the small lamps lit the dirt paths and some people could even be seen wandering between the tents, the once humid air was now a bit cooler now with the coming of the evening, and the leaves of the skinny trees that say behind the burlap mobile homes bent in the breath of the winds as Ayako lay on her flat rug-like “bed”.

Her thoughts had been racing ever since she came back from the city. Was going back to the Ruby Sea really a good thing for her? If she went back after all that she had experienced in Eorzea, would she be satisfied back in her home village? Surely her mother would pressure her to find a suitable marriage partner, to have children and teach them the age old tradition of pearl gathering— but the mere thought of having to reign in her desires, her soul, and her heart, had the girl furrowing her brows and frowning.

Getting up from her sleeping arrangement, the pearl skinned Raen brushed the sleep from her pulled up hair, and pulled the drawstrings of her camise closer to secure the sleeping shirt. The tent of the caravan leader was the largest and unmistakably hers, after asking for permission to enter, the woman was finally allowed into the large red tent. 

The old woman was sitting at her table, skilled yet aged hands seemed to be attaching some flowers to a rather pretty hair pin. “Madame?— I hope I did not intrude on anything important during this time.” Ayako’s words were a bit wobbly, even though she barely spent enough time with the Far Eastern Traders, they were the only people she knew at the moment. “I know of your desire to stay here in the West girl, I may be old but even I can spot the fire of want that stirs behind those eyes of yours.” The shorter Hyuran female then turned around, the hairpin from before lay in her palm, and she reached forward with a small smile “Take it. Though your time with us was short lived, we care for our own people nevertheless” 

“And I’ve instructed a few of my companions to leave a sack of gil and provisions in your tent, for this land can be cruel and deadly if traversed incorrectly-“ and before she could continue, the woman also motioned to a small bag that sat on a small table beside her bed. “Chakrams, so you may defend yourself, the beast tribes will be one of the many hostile forces on the road, do find yourself in good company, hm?” Ayako was stunned. The delicate hairpin in her palms felt heavy, and all she could do was nod with her every word, her throat closing at the thought of being alone once more, in such a vast and unknown land as well. “Now go. My people must leave and we don’t want you to change your mind, only for you to regret it later on” And with that, she was shooed out of the tent and given her gifts.

She sat at the entrance of her small tent, her tail tucked against her folded legs. As she watched the caravan being swallowed by the rising sun as they traveled to their next destination. 

Edited by RaenRain