Caldera

Your character's 'mental world'?

Your character is in a coma (or something else narratively convenient) and in order to wake them up, your friends must travel into their Mental World! A mental projection within their mind or soul, that represents who they are as a person - their personality, memories, hopes, fears, and so forth. What do they find?

This could be their childhood home with pictures of their friends and fears hidden in the basement, or a well-ordered library stocked with memorized facts and knowledge in cataloged rows, or an overgrown playground with broken toys and a rusty swingset, or something else entirely!

For my character, I think it would be a long dormant volcanic crater, covered in grass and trees, with a small lake in the middle. A volcano, since he used to be strong and boastful, but dormant as he's gotten older and calmer. Plants, because he's gotten a bit wiser and thoughtful (or so he likes to think), and a peaceful lake to represent his centered self of sense and what is right and wrong.

This happened once to one of my characters, and his friend went into his mind to 'retrieve' him. I wrote that his mind was like a white 'desert-like' expanse, foggy/misty, with compartments similar to doors and rooms, partially obscured by 'grey matter' (basically just parts of the mind that weren't active) each of which held a memory or emotion in it. Not easy to identify or open up, but left his friend with a general 'sense' of what that memory was.

I thought a bit about this on the way to work this morning and this is what came to mind:

Chachan's mental dreamscape would actually be generally pleasant. The first thing that came to mind was a pleasant, sunny field full of sunflowers, rippling grass, and calm little streams and ponds. Pretty idyllic and friendly. His smithy would likely be there, set on a little hill at the center, along with other places he has positive memories of - like the Quicksand or Tiroro's apartment.

However, on the fringes - just on the edges of view from the center of the field - are darker things. A mental copy of the ruins of Doma, a Garlean Castrum, the Dimwold. Scenes of all the darker turns of his life made manifest, forever in the back of his mind - never forgotten. And yet - between all of these, perhaps even seguing from them - is that happy field. Existing either because of them, or in spite of them.

Something like that, anyway.

Xih's would probably be a stone room, a study, with rigid walls and bookcases, a single window placed above a desk on one wall. Outside, it always rains, sometimes thunders. There's no rug and only a bare wooden chair by the desk and a fireplace one one side of the room. On the mantle, there'd be a bent and twisted hunter's horn.

At first, the place would feel at the same time cold and faintly cozy, dominated by strict lines and order, despite the storm raging outside. If one tried to take a book from the shelves, some would appear old and worn, some new - and when touched some of them would not budge at all, some shackled down onto the shelves. They are the manifestations of his memories, his thoughts, many of them bound and suppressed with the same rehearsed order. When touched by the right person, some would be more responsive. If you tried to take the books off the shelves by force, the entire room would've felt like it was shuddering.

It's how I imagine him at least. He's a control freak and has to try and keep himself and others in line through logic and order, getting easily embarrassed over showing emotion or weakness, while disguising far more depth than he lets others see. That, and books have long been his source of solace and peace. There is more symbolism there, but I'll leave them as my own little mystery. :D 

Edited by Xihsa'li Tayuun

Vons would most likely be one of his camping spots within the highlands, a warm fire among the cold plains, a blanket and a sleeping bag to rest and his supplies at his side, due to living in the war most of his life he has never really escaped that mindset! Despite all the horror that came from it his most focused and strangely happy times for him was when he was out in the wilds hunting down the enemy.

I imagine those sorts of memories from his war days would be whats flooding his mental-scape, and a few of the battles that left scarring or trauma on him over the years intermingled in there too!