Viera - Yey, Nay?

I think it's cool. I'd rather have something other than Viera for the next playable race, but I think roleplaying them is neat. Especially when you learn about everyone's take on converting the lore into something FFXIV themed. If your take on the Viera lore and culture turns out to be completey different, that's fine. Nothings written into stone, and I think most RPers understand when you have to make adjustments. 

The only Viera I ever liked was Fran and that was it. I really don't care for the race what so ever and I'm not really sure why I dislike the race so it's frustrating for me. I usually have explanations of why I like or dislike something, but for them I just really dislike them with no real 'explainable reason'. 

As for advice, if you're rping it among friends then I see no real issue with it; but do be aware there's absolutely no lore concerning it and there's very real possibility of having to do major retconning should the devs ever decide to bring the race in the game playable or not. Speaking from experience where I actually did roleplay a demon hunter with my husband in WoW before they ever even gave an inkling that they would make them playable... It forced a massive retcon and a reroll of the character. Because of things like this I personally try not to bring in other races or jobs not stated in XIV; especially because XIV does tend to be a lot more nuanced and requires a lot more research than WoW does in-game. 

WoW it was easier for me to find information outside of the game while XIV from my experience is harder to find information unless you've gone through it yourself, find a Sounssy post, or happen upon it on tumblr as the XIV wikis are rather dry. All of this just makes me hesitant in ever considering a job/race that isn't established at least in-game. But I tend to avoid it if it doesn't exist playable because of what happened to my Demon Hunter in WoW,and I've rped since I was 15, I'm almost 35 now and I still made the DH for the hell of it and was only playing the character with one other person. 

Also; https://www.dualshockers.com/viera-from-final-fantasy-xii-were-considered-at-final-fantasy-xivs-new-race-male-concept-revealed/ Dual Shockers discusses briefly on the Viera and had said that the concept was discarded. I personally don't think we will see a playable Viera, but with FFT/12 being very heavily referenced from the Ivalice and the new Lighthouse raid we'll see. I'd honestly just wait, but that's my two cents. It sucks to have a character be completely gutted and rerolled after you realized there's no way it would work.

If I were interested in playing a Viera I'd probably just make an FFT roleplay on documents and do a nice little dice system but that's just my thoughts.

Edited by Fox

I doubt they'll do Viera.

For every 10 players, there's 1 out there who's frothing at the mouth wanting them to be a playable race, 1 who actively thinks they were a terrible and sexist concept in their original form and is actively rallying against them being a playable race, and 8 who are pretty much indifferent about Viera altogether.

Doesn't make any business sense to spend time preparing a race that will have such limited fanfare. They'd probably have more hype if they released Bangaa, though they'd have a lot of equipment modeling issues to deal with (on the other hand, Viera would require them to redesign every kind of boot, so...).

The most likely thing is that Ivalice is never going to be a playable zone/region and we're not ever going to get a race from there as a playable race, and that the entire concept of a FF14 Ivalice is fanservice which will begin and end with the Stormblood alliance raid story arc.

Maybe I'm a bit fresh of a face but I honestly don't care if we get Viera or not.

I just hope we get another race next expansion, because I'm always one for more options and more variety.

On 5/22/2018 at 9:48 PM, Lydia Lightfoot said:

(on the other hand, Viera would require them to redesign every kind of boot, so...).

Not necessarily, i think it has been said before that they "might implement some wanted things in FFxiv, but if we do it won't be as people expect". Simply said they might implement Viera, but make them differ from Viera as we know them. Maybe to have it easier and without remodeleing they might just give them flat feet.... who knows.

10 hours ago, Kiba Torioi said:

Not necessarily, i think it has been said before that they "might implement some wanted things in FFxiv, but if we do it won't be as people expect". Simply said they might implement Viera, but make them differ from Viera as we know them. Maybe to have it easier and without remodeleing they might just give them flat feet.... who knows.

Since they're referred to as a Beast Tribe in some quest text, I think it's very unlikely that we'll see them as player characters even if they do make an appearance.

25 minutes ago, LiadansWhisper said:

Since they're referred to as a Beast Tribe in some quest text, I think it's very unlikely that we'll see them as player characters even if they do make an appearance.

Beast Tribe would be implementing in a way people didn't expect, I suppose.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to see Viera added, and personally I say go for it. 

As for whether or not they will be added...Well I don't know. I could see them being quite easy to implement wince they already have two distinct clans like the rest of the FFXIV races. I think square would do them with normal feet though haha, I can't imagine they would like to redesign every boot in the game for Viera. I'd personally like that they to be taller too (at least for one of the clans, since the other is mentioned to be distinctly shorter), and less cutesy; and if they're introduced as a beast that's even better. We have examples of the Scions working with friendly beast tribes plenty of times, and they're probably the most  humanoid "beast race" we have. I think there's enough demand from the player base to get them possibly in the next expac, after the Ivalice storyline is concluded. 

As another addendum, I've seen some great art and "cosplays" of Viera on Tumblr. There's a lot of hype for them. I suppose we'll just have to wait to see what Fan Fest brings!

On 5/26/2018 at 5:09 PM, LiadansWhisper said:

Beast Tribe was my next thought as well for them honestly. Or making cameo appearances in Dalmascan related content as denizens of the area like the Bangaa are in the Ivalice 24 man questline.