New to roleplaying in FFXIV, have a question about ninjas

Aeva

o/ Hi! So I'm new here. I have made one other post for character help on the welcome desk, about a week ago on an other account. (I name-changed since I'm getting into RP and the character wasn't initially made with RP in mind, figured I'd make my account here match her new name). Anyway, the answers I received last time regarding my character were a massive help when it came to alleviating any concerns. In my initial post I had a very rough idea of what I wanted my character to be. After some feedback I changed a few things, and now I have a much more solid grasp on her as a character and backstory now that time has passed. She'll be a ninja. I've also done a lot of thinking on her personality and tendencies, which leads me to an important question that I've not been able to find a consistent answer for.

Would it be eye-roll inducing at all for my character to be an open shinobi?

I've seen a couple people offhandedly mention that ninjas keep what they do a secret, but I've no idea how universally true this is, how many people genuinely believe it, or how many people care. I fear being viewed as an attention-seeker, bad RPer, or something similar. With the image I have in my head for my character I wouldn't see her lying or going to great lengths to hide such things if the topic came up though. She wouldn't use her skills for anything illegal so she would see no need. I'm pretty positive that every other aspect of her would be fine in most peoples' eyes, but I wonder about this one. I know it's my sub and I can RP how I want and all of that stuff, but I do have a genuine interest in how people would react to my character. This is a social activity and if my character idea puts off the people around me then that's not something I want to do and would rather change certain parts to better-fit.

Thank you in advance for any answers. ^_^

Edited by Aeva Nyuko

I guess a lot would depend on how your character thinks of herself. Does she think "I'm a Ninja!"  or does she think "I'm someone who is sneaky and good with blades?"  In other words, is she a Ninja (capital N), trained in a specific eastern martial art - or a highly skilled rogue who just happens to know very similar skills?

By game mechanics, we can learn every profession available, and every new one when it is introduced in game. Of course, this isn't realistic, no one can master all those different skills. Also, the lore behind many Jobs is such that only a single player on the whole server would know that skill-set (for example, the White Mage is a way reserved exclusively to the Pradjal and the player represents the first outsider they have ever taught it to). Therefore the Classes and Jobs are more of a guideline in RP.

For example, by game mechanics my Katarina is a Paladin. But in-character she's no such thing, she never trained to be one of the Sultansword. Likewise, she was never a Gladiator, fighting in the arena for the entertainment of Ul'dah. She's a warrior who uses a sword and shield and tries to protect others in battle. She's also somewhat decent with her fists (pugilist by game mechanics) though hardly a master of unarmed combat. 'Guardian' would be a more accurate word to call her.

I'm not too up on Ninja lore in FF14, but the stereotypical ninja is someone skilled in espionage and assassination. Your description of your character makes her sound too honest for such work. If she " wouldn't use her skills for anything illegal", then what would she use them for? Would some other word than 'ninja' be more accurate?

Not saying you shouldn't have your character call herself a Ninja, just saying you should think about it, and about some alternatives. Either way, I'd still RP with you.

Edited by Tregarde

Firstly, your character seems to be a miqo'te so I want to point out a little caveat: the art of the shinobi was born in the islands of Hingashi, and the lore seems to show that the only races you'll find in Othard are huyr, au'ra and roegadyn (and pure blood garleans to an extent...). You'll understand that a native ninja from Othard can't realistically be miqo'te, although there is always half stretched explanations for that: native eorzeans live on Othard, in the port district of Kugane for Hingashi for example. Probably harder to have lived in Doma since it has been under imperial occupation for two decades, but Doma too had ninjas (cf Yugiri). So, with that in mind, who knows huh, maybe a hingan progressive and a little crazy master/retainer had someday the idea to train and hire a promising filthy Ijin (foreigner) to act as a shinobi among eorzean natives in the port of Kugane, or something like that? I find the idea kinda funny actually.

Then you have the more standard route that being an eorzean native, your character learned ninjutsu in Eorzea but... where? Nothing says explicitly that absolutely NO DOMAN, NO HINGAN arrived in Eorzea before. But you'll agree that it's probably... hard to imagine where the hell you would find a native from Othard in Eorzea, being somehow a master shinobi to add to that, that conveniently was here to train your eorzean miqo'te. You will now find more domans especially in Eorzea, but that's very recent with the arrival of Yugiri's group of exiles. You'll maybe find the rare xaela here and there but those aren't part of a culture that have ninjas or anything.

Don't let this deter you however. Like there was no real reason to see a xaela being a dark knight in Ishgard, the DRK questline gives us one of them, who must probably stand out a lot and be one of his kind... So, having a ninja miqo'te, will stand out for sure, but you can totally work around it by being creative. Your main hurdles will be those: standing out in shinobi circles, and having to find a justification for that back story that makes at least a little sense and doesn't break suspension of disbelief too much. I gave an example above, so in my book this is possible in any case.

Okay, I'm also mentioning it because why not: like for most jobs, you always have the possibility to stumble miraculously on a job soul crystal being a ninja soulstone... But in Eorzea...? Hard to believe. In Othard? Possible definitely. Especially in the ruined Doma where countless ninja probably died. Then you'll have to take into account that a soul crystal will only open if you show a true skill already to the tools of the trade, and that training by yourself takes time (like any training for anything anyway).

Now then, if it's not being a true ninja per se, but just someone flinging two daggers and a few projectiles like a rogue, the lore behind this is TOTALLY different (and way more forgiving).

On the public/hidden side of ninjas... well you guessed it, the shinobi are pretty secretive, and what we see in the ninja quests isn't an exception to that. Oboro's group shows up in Eorzea under cover, in a hidden base of operations. The main villain of the 60-70 quests is part of one of the oldest shinobi clans of Hingashi, a respectable noble house that is kinda known for having ninjutsu secrets and knowledge, and almost flaunts it to your face, but their shinobi will never reveal in open air their true status... Or it would defeat the whole purpose of the shinobi. 

Stricto sensu, shinobi clans are part of houses or villages and act with loyalty and devotion to their community or lords, in Hingashi and Doma. Like Samurai, they serve selflessly (cf the princess raen in the nin questline 50-60). They aren't really freelancers or anything.

This is however, part of the main traditional culture. Nothing prevents a shinobi to have been outcast, or sentenced to death but fled, or anything. And they would retain their ninja abilities. But again, you have to keep in mind the unusual side of this kind of situation and find good, believable explanations for it. And... for such individuals to flaunt their shinobi powers in the open...? Maybe if they exiled themselves in Eorzea? Not a single fuck in Eorzea would know what a shinobi is to begin with, except maybe a few weebs/connoisseurs... Which also asks the question: why telling people you are one if they don't know what a ninja is? They could just say "I'm an assassin" or "I do covert shady work in the night" or whatever so that people actually understand. But, again, would you even flaunt that all around all the time? Generally when you deal in shady businesses, you just drop clues and contacts that will redirect trusted clients to yourself, in secret.

Edited by Valence
2 hours ago, Tregarde said:

I'm not too up on Ninja lore in FF14, but the stereotypical ninja is someone skilled in espionage and assassination. Your description of your character makes her sound too honest for such work. If she " wouldn't use her skills for anything illegal", then what would she use them for? Would some other word than 'ninja' be more accurate?

Sure! I'll explain what I have in mind for her and then you or others can tell me how reasonable it would be. If I'm told by multiple people that it just doesn't work then I can roll with that despite some disappointment :P. 

She would be a sellsword, pretty much identical to all of the ones who take on that line of work legally. If a merchant needs a bodyguard to keep them and their cargo safe, Aeva would accept and shadow the caravan, ready to fend off any would-be bandits or attackers with her ninjutsu. If someone needs muscle to go and protect them in X dangerous area, or gather a part from some dangerous animal or whatever other things a sellsword would agree to do within the bounds of the law. Among the more mundane lines of work, I could see her being a sort of "private investigator". Maybe someone is suspicious of their romantic partner cheating on them, Aeva agrees to look into them and uses her skillset to stealthily tail them and see what they get up to. She WOULDN'T take any sort of job where the legality is questionable. No assassinations unless there's some sort of legal bounty on the person, no stealing, none of that. I imagine espionage being a big thing she does.

I could drop the ninja part if I see reason to, but my current idea of her is that she does utilize ninjutsu and does so often when she has to fight. In the Ninja storyline and what I've seen of Yugiri (I'm only halfway through Heavensward so admittedly not seen everything), it seems like these ninja can engage in legal and moral, albeit sneaky work. In a way I've taken inspiration from them and Aeva would be similar in that she's not a criminal per se.

1 hour ago, Valence said:

Firstly, your character seems to be a miqo'te so I want to point out a little caveat: the art of the shinobi was born in the islands of Hingashi, and the lore seems to show that the only races you'll find in Othard are huyr, au'ra and roegadyn (and pure blood garleans to an extent...). You'll understand that a native ninja from Othard can't realistically be miqo'te, although there is always half stretched explanations for that: native eorzeans live on Othard, in the port district of Kugane for Hingashi for example. Probably harder to have lived in Doma since it has been under imperial occupation for two decades, but Doma too had ninjas (cf Yugiri). So, with that in mind, who knows huh, maybe a hingan progressive and a little crazy master/retainer had someday the idea to train and hire a promising filthy Ijin (foreigner) to act as a shinobi among eorzean natives in the port of Kugane, or something like that? I find the idea kinda funny actually.

I was actually aware of this as I've looked into ninja lore a bit as I came up with my character. I did find that Miqo'te weren't really a part of the racial make-up of the places ninjas came from. The solution I came up with when it came to my ninja miqo'te was indeed that a Doman was alright with training an Eorzean person. I initially wanted to make Aeva Doman herself but research made me realize an other option would be better, like you said. Admittedly, I've not gotten far enough into the MSQ to have a very solid grasp on Doman ideals. If the possibility of her being trained by someone from the East is that ridiculous and far-fetched then that's alright, wasn't sure how rare a Doman would have been in Eorzea before recent events.

Her being a very recently trained ninja isn't an issue for me, by the way. If it's not feasible for her to have been a ninja for very long then I'm perfectly okay with her being a rookie ninja who has just gotten into the role via Domans who've recently came here. I'm not sure how much more feasible that makes my concept. I definitely never had the idea of her being a jonin in my head anyway. What do you think? Would it sound a lot better if she wasn't exactly a pro at the ninjutsu side of things yet?

Anyway I'm thankful for the feedback from you both! :)

Edited by Aeva Nyuko
1 hour ago, Valence said:

Which also asks the question: why telling people you are one if they don't know what a ninja is? They could just say "I'm an assassin" or "I do covert shady work in the night" or whatever so that people actually understand. But, again, would you even flaunt that all around all the time? Generally when you deal in shady businesses, you just drop clues and contacts that will redirect trusted clients to yourself, in secret.

Forgot to respond to this bit in my original reply, but just to clarify so you know more about my concept.

I'm not wanting her to just tell people "Oh, I'm a shinobi". You're absolutely right in that most people wouldn't even understand it. It wouldn't be her going around telling people she's a ninja, rather she would just go through no effort to hide it (because she's doing legal work that could benefit from a stealthy hand, rather than anything legitimately illegal or shady). So, if asked what she does, she WOULD pretty much just say "Oh I'm a sellsword. Also do some private investigative work on the side too." HOW she fights isn't exactly relevant, but if pressed on it she would explain the concept. "Oh it's a martial art from the Far East that involves weaving handsigns to manipulate aether, as well as acrobatics and stealth". Not necessarily "I'm a ninja". It's just, if she's fighting around friends or clients or anything she's not going to go through any effort to hide what she is. She'll weave mudras and let loose ninjutsu and if word gets out that she can do these things then that's totally fine with her. If it comes up she'll explain it, but other than that she won't.

Not really sure if my explanation makes any sense but there you go aha

Edited by Aeva Nyuko

3 hours ago, Aeva Nyuko said:

She would be a sellsword, pretty much identical to all of the ones who take on that line of work legally. If a merchant needs a bodyguard to keep them and their cargo safe, Aeva would accept and shadow the caravan, ready to fend off any would-be bandits or attackers with her ninjutsu. If someone needs muscle to go and protect them in X dangerous area, or gather a part from some dangerous animal or whatever other things a sellsword would agree to do within the bounds of the law. Among the more mundane lines of work, I could see her being a sort of "private investigator". Maybe someone is suspicious of their romantic partner cheating on them, Aeva agrees to look into them and uses her skillset to stealthily tail them and see what they get up to. She WOULDN'T take any sort of job where the legality is questionable. No assassinations unless there's some sort of legal bounty on the person, no stealing, none of that. I imagine espionage being a big thing she does.

Most Doman and Hingan shinobi serve as retainers or as the personal guard to whatever lord, clan, or family they've sworn allegiance to. And they will serve that person or group until they are released from service or death takes them. There are also shinobi who've lost these masters and take on less noble pursuits of overqualified and expensive sellswords. Seeing as how your character isn't exactly a "traditional" shinobi of the Far East, simply defaulting to utilizing their ninjutsu for multiple paying customers shouldn't be a big issue.

Oboro: "Shinobi are trained to put duty ahead of all else, including our lives. As you know, we are blades, and missions are as whetstones to us. Through duty and service, we sharpen our skills and our minds. This is the next step on your path."

Oboro: "That would be cause for them to sell their blades. I imagine the demand for mercenaries with ninjutsu would be great among people with money enough to trade in Far Eastern treasures..."

Redway: "So the thunder wasn't her doing, but a shinobi's? Huh. Most curious. Where did she find coin to pay you? Or does she command your loyalty with her regal blood?"

3 hours ago, Aeva Nyuko said:

I was actually aware of this as I've looked into ninja lore a bit as I came up with my character. I did find that Miqo'te weren't really a part of the racial make-up of the places ninjas came from. The solution I came up with when it came to my ninja miqo'te was indeed that a Doman was alright with training an Eorzean person. I initially wanted to make Aeva Doman herself but research made me realize an other option would be better, like you said. Admittedly, I've not gotten far enough into the MSQ to have a very solid grasp on Doman ideals. If the possibility of her being trained by someone from the East is that ridiculous and far-fetched then that's alright, wasn't sure how rare a Doman would have been in Eorzea before recent events.

Her being a very recently trained ninja isn't an issue for me, by the way. If it's not feasible for her to have been a ninja for very long then I'm perfectly okay with her being a rookie ninja who has just gotten into the role via Domans who've recently came here. I'm not sure how much more feasible that makes my concept. I definitely never had the idea of her being a jonin in my head anyway. What do you think? Would it sound a lot better if she wasn't exactly a pro at the ninjutsu side of things yet?

If you wanted your character to be from Hingashi or Doma, or have been to those places, there are definitely ways for that to be plausible. If you did want your character to be more advanced in their ninjutsu training, this might be something worth considering as so far the biggest influx of Doma refugees (and shinobi) to Eorzea was roughly a year ago when Yugiri came to Eorzea following the razing of Doma by the Garlean Empire. That's not to say that Far Easterners haven't come to Eorzea before, they have, but usually in the capacity of merchants to the best of our knowledge. (Though maybe some merchants hired shinobi to accompany them for protection?) 

Genin = lowest rank, mastery of one-mudra techniques.

Chunin = middle rank, mastery of two-mudra techniques.

Jonin = high rank, mastery of three-mudra techniques.

It's really up to you to decide how quickly she has picked up the mudra techniques and how she came across an instructor - whether here in Eorzea from a traveler or refugee, or in the Far East and how long ago that was. All in all I think the concept looks fine! But if you'd like to read more ninja lore, there's a few older posts on the topic here. Hope this helps! 

49 minutes ago, Sounsyy said:

Most Doman and Hingan shinobi serve as retainers or as the personal guard to whatever lord, clan, or family they've sworn allegiance to. And they will serve that person or group until they are released from service or death takes them. There are also shinobi who've lost these masters and take on less noble pursuits of overqualified and expensive sellswords. Seeing as how your character isn't exactly a "traditional" shinobi of the Far East, simply defaulting to utilizing their ninjutsu for multiple paying customers shouldn't be a big issue.

Hey again! You were a big help on my first thread awhile back, thanks. :)

Anyway I'm glad to hear this. Since she didn't have the typical Doman experience when it came to training to be a ninja, I figured her going the typical "Serving as a retainer" route wasn't entirely necessary. Though I am in the process of that 50-60 ninja questline where you serve that princess. Going through it has made me want to leave the possibility open. I've been thinking perhaps she knows that serving an other person in this way is something that bolsters your abilities and makes you grow into a better shinobi, and so she might seek an opportunity to find someone she can serve. For right now my idea for her is just a sellsword but I think if I meet the right sort of character to do it with it could be a cool route to go down. ^^

That link you posted brings up a lot of things I never considered too, or just didn't know in the first place. It absolutely makes the idea of her being from the Far East a LOT more palatable to me. I do have a bit more of a refined idea of her growing up in poverty, raised by a single Keeper of the Moon mother in Limsa. She'd learn knife-fighting and the typical rogue-ish skills from there, and just overall involve herself in shady and unsavory work as a teenager and very early adult that she'd later break away from and never go back to. I have grown a bit fond of that idea since for quite awhile I thought her being from the Far East was a no-go. I'll have to think a bit on where I want her to be from now. In either case I certainly didn't want her to be some master ninja, would love to give her a lot of room for development in that regard ^^. 

I'll give the Far East background some thought though for sure, since I realize now that it's a legitimate option! I just wonder if I would get a lot of whispers about "You know miqo'te can't be from there right?..." and such.

Edited by Aeva Nyuko
9 hours ago, Aeva Nyuko said:

I'll give the Far East background some thought though for sure, since I realize now that it's a legitimate option! I just wonder if I would get a lot of whispers about "You know miqo'te can't be from there right?..." and such.

And that's when you say "Actually, according to Sounsyy..." and send them the link. That should shut them up.  =P

It seems like there is some good in-game support for your character concept. It's just the fine details that need a little polish. And may I suggest possibly using the word "freelancer" to describe her? Of course "sellsword" and "mercenary" work also, but I kinda like freelancer for some reason.

4 hours ago, Tregarde said:

And that's when you say "Actually, according to Sounsyy..." and send them the link. That should shut them up.  =P

...Fair point. xD

4 hours ago, Tregarde said:

It seems like there is some good in-game support for your character concept. It's just the fine details that need a little polish. And may I suggest possibly using the word "freelancer" to describe her? Of course "sellsword" and "mercenary" work also, but I kinda like freelancer for some reason.

The more I think about what she would often do for clients the more I think a specific word or phrase can't really encapsulate it. Was going to tell you I like "Freelancer" a lot more, cause sellsword implies combat-oriented work which isn't her sole thing. In fact I envision her more often just shadowing a client's lover to see if they're faithful. Or maybe someone's employee claims they're too injured or sick to work, so Aeva tracks/tails them to see if that's really the case. Freelancer is also very vague though, doesn't tell ya much about what she does. :P Though it kind of needs to be like that, because she does a lot of things.

If she's ever asked about her occupation she'll probably just end up having to give a few sentences of explanation rather than any sort of short title. xD

Edited by Aeva Nyuko
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, Aeva Nyuko said:

I've seen a couple people offhandedly mention that ninjas keep what they do a secret, but I've no idea how universally true this is, how many people genuinely believe it, or how many people care. I fear being viewed as an attention-seeker, bad RPer, or something similar. With the image I have in my head for my character I wouldn't see her lying or going to great lengths to hide such things if the topic came up though. She wouldn't use her skills for anything illegal so she would see no need. I'm pretty positive that every other aspect of her would be fine in most peoples' eyes, but I wonder about this one. I know it's my sub and I can RP how I want and all of that stuff, but I do have a genuine interest in how people would react to my character. This is a social activity and if my character idea puts off the people around me then that's not something I want to do and would rather change certain parts to better-fit.

I think it's been said a lot. I haven't read the entire thread. If I say something that's already been said, my apologies. This right here is contradictory to what a Ninja (that is, a Shinobi) actually is. I would think for your character to actually call themselves something, they have to perfectly (or pretty close) align with the actual stated lore behind it. That said, I think calling her a Ninja would be stretching it, seeing as they are trained in secret villages, thus their abilities and identities are supposed to remain a secret. Are there contradictions to this? You betcha! Look at the Ninja job questchains. Are there ways to get around this? You betcha.

My rule of thumb: The more it goes against lore, the more you have to support it with lore.

Essentially, it means in order to make something plausible, the more it bends lore, the more you have to know your stuff so you can explain it. Hence the different terms 'Lore-bending' and 'Lore-breaking'. One of my main characters is a Ninja, though not traditionally trained in a secret village, but was trained by a master. As such, he lives a double life. One life as an adventurer who pummels things with his fists, and a secret life as a Ninja (which no one knows about except for his employers). He's able to keep these two lives separate because he conceals himself in one of them (you can guess which). However, no one would know what he secretly does just by looking at him. It's kind of like one of those tropes that you don't really admit to because it's not conducive to immersion in most situations. Like openly admitting to being a Night Elf Demonhunter in WoW. It's an outcast life that needs a front to be plausible, but isn't really necessary to have a well rounded character.

That said, your character doesn't -have- to be a ninja. The specific jobs don't have to be a thing ICly for you to have a good well-rounded character. You can create your character however the heck you want, but have a title for them that makes sense. Also, it depends on the scenario you see yourself in most. In General random RP, being a self-proclaimed Ninja isn't very conducive, unless you're intentionally trying to draw attention to your character and will accept any situation that occurs as a result, i.e. causality, or the repercussions of claiming to be a ninja. It's like a Black Mage suddenly proclaiming "I just casted forbidden magic". That's a whole other can o' worms, but you get the idea. What I would consider for your character, if you're looking for something more honorable, or a situation where you -can- claim to be a Ninja (or don't even have to) without incurring negative results, seek out an FC that's themed for a Far Eastern clan of some sort. Do your research on it, of course, and make sure your character would be plausible for the scope of said Clan FC. If you're just looking for RP in general, I would label your character differently.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:05 PM, Aeva Nyuko said:

The more I think about what she would often do for clients the more I think a specific word or phrase can't really encapsulate it. Was going to tell you I like "Freelancer" a lot more, cause sellsword implies combat-oriented work which isn't her sole thing. In fact I envision her more often just shadowing a client's lover to see if they're faithful. Or maybe someone's employee claims they're too injured or sick to work, so Aeva tracks/tails them to see if that's really the case. Freelancer is also very vague though, doesn't tell ya much about what she does. :P Though it kind of needs to be like that, because she does a lot of things.

Actually, Investigator comes to mind here. It's been done via PvE quests (Manderville), just that specific character type (to my knowledge) and scenarios have not been done. There's a label for just about anything. Just gotta find it! She could be a FREELANCE Investigator, even. xD

46 minutes ago, Suko'to said:

This right here is contradictory to what a Ninja (that is, a Shinobi) actually is. I would think for your character to actually call themselves something, they have to perfectly (or pretty close) align with the actual stated lore behind it.

After spending time creating my character and getting feedback from various people, I've come to a pretty definitive conclusion in that when people say "Ninjas are SPECIFICALLY X, Y, and Z. If you aren't X, Y, and Z then you aren't a ninja", the issue isn't that either of us are wrong, it's just a semantics issue between me and the other person :P . When I originally made this thread, my definition of a ninja was "Someone who is sneaky, acrobatic, fights with knives, and can use ninjutsu". The people who say ninjas are all these other things just envision a more specific thing when they hear that word, that's all. All of the stereotypical aspects of what a ninja is, such as secrecy, serving someone as a retainer, loose morality, specifically trained in secret villages, etc. So when I first started asking this question, I used wording that caused a bit of an issue with people who interpreted the word differently than me. The question I had in my mind was different than the question people were reading. By your definition of ninja, my character concept was never a ninja at all. She was more of a sneaky Lominsan knife fighter who later learned ninjutsu from the Doman refugees.

To word my intended question in a way that I think holds more true to what I was wanting to know; "Is it realistic for my character to have learned ninjutsu and be open about it?". After looking into it a lot more since I asked this, I certainly believe it is. Nothing as far as I can tell has stated that to properly channel these mudras, you need to be secretive about your art. Plus, nothing about ninjutsu inherently makes it something that should be hidden necessarily, but rather it's the things most traditional ninjas actually use it for (Though I could certainly be wrong! My ninja lore is still spotty compared to others I'd imagine) As long as the short time the Domans have been here is kept into consideration I've come to the line of thinking that Aeva has an okay concept ^_^ . She has a lot of catching up to do as she's been exposed to this art for a relatively short time. It's going to be a long time or take a serious character arc for her to become a jonin, or just a sneaky knife fighter who has learned all 3 mudras, if you don't like the term jonin for her.

34 minutes ago, Suko'to said:

Actually, Investigator comes to mind here. It's been done via PvE quests (Manderville), just that specific character type (to my knowledge) and scenarios have not been done. There's a label for just about anything. Just gotta find it! She could be a FREELANCE Investigator, even. xD

My character concept is much more fleshed out now and I even have a fully completed wiki for her! :D . Went with the private investigator / sellsword labels OOC. She sticks with the private investigator title, but she personally likes to call herself a "Soldier of Fortune" when referring to mercenary work. A bit of a more epic-sounding euphemism and all ^_^ . She stays away from the shinobi label just on the sole basis that most people are going to have no idea what she's talking about, and those that do will have the wrong impression. True to my character, she's open about what she does, just the words "ninja" or "shinobi" aren't going to be uttered unless the person has an already clear understanding of what Aeva does. :) 

Edited by Aeva Nyuko

Just want to point out that ninjas aren't necessarily trained in villages. Actually, the standard would probably be more in Hingan castles in the bowels of famous Hingan families secrecy. The ninjutsu arts were created by nobles and went to cement the true mastery of the art in the hands of those few very famous samurai noble families. We are lead to believe that ninjutsu is a village thing with the original ninja quests up to 60 because Oboro, Karasu, and all their friendos come from a hingan village with secret shinobi clans, and because Yugiri herself isn't especially said to be a doman bugyo or anything fancy. 

The lvl 70 quests however, clearly state where the art truly originates from, and who has true mastery over all its secrets (hint:  not village communities).

By your definition of ninja, my character concept was never a ninja at all. She was more of a sneaky Lominsan knife fighter who later learned ninjutsu from the Doman refugees.

This can definitely work in itself. How and why did she learn such a secret art from them, is where you'll have to work on. How did an actual ninja from those refugees even decided to reveal their own nature to a foreigner, how they decided to teach her, and more importantly, how much time did it take if you actually go all the way to make her knowledgeable about 2 or even 3 mudra techniques (4 mudra techniques however, would require a very specific hingan master of a certain aristocratic family and a shitload of talent and years of practice).

Agreed with a lot of what you said Valence, and the stuff I agree with is stuff I've tried to give a lot of thought. Though the picture that I got from 30-60 content has been that people from the east are often eager to teach foreigners who actually know about them, though their existence is kept secret. So perhaps finding your teacher would be a big issue, but convincing them to train you, not so much. Maybe I've missed something really key, or maybe contradictions are shown in Stormblood which I've not been able to access quite yet.

Regardless, a lot of my interactions with people on this subject (not solely in here) are just making me want to scrap the concept completely. Not that anyone's been rude to me about it, or unreasonable necessarily, even if some of the stuff I'm hearing in response is coming from sources I've not been able to see. I just get the vibe that whether I go into all of the necessary things to make it justified or not, an Eorzean ninja character is going to be looked at through a sort of critical lens that I don't want for my first character that I'm using to jump into the RP scene. I've RPed concepts similar in that regard in other games and I don't like what results from it. I don't like knowing that a good portion of peoples' first thoughts of my character are going to be "Oh that's really weird and potentially lore-bending, well she better have an explanation for X, Y, and Z" whether I have those explanations or not. Despite my strong attachment to the idea I'm probably going to just come up with an alternative.

Edited by Aeva Nyuko

If it helps, Chachan here was my first FFXIV RP character and I decided I wanted to play a Lalafell from Doma - even though (even back then) there was little to no clue that Lalafell could even be from Othard. I believe the only two clues that there could be was the flavor text on a fish and a Lalafell in Limsa who sold Doman fruit. And even those were things I found out after the fact from Sounsyy.

One of my first RPs was in the Quicksand, with another Lalafell berating me both ICly and OOCly for my character idea. Yet, that was also the RP where several Very Cool People jumped in to defend the little guy. And once I was girded with even that little bit of knowledge from Sounsyy, I grew more confident in my decision. These days, folks really don't question the idea at all (and I even had a story arc where he and some friends went all the way to Othard to visit his home from before the razing!), even with Stormblood showing that Othard - or at least the parts of Othard we've seen so far - are primarily Hyur, Roe, and Au Ra.

For me, at least, as long as you can explain the "how" of the situation, I'm willing to give it a fair shake. Plus, sometimes having to figure out that "how" provides character ideas and plots that you might never have come up with! Just looking at some of the conversation above, sure people are curious or questioning how she learned ninjitsu... but that's also provided ideas!

Who is the person who might've taught her? Why did they teach her? Where did they come from? What are they like? You're fleshing out a potential NPC that you could use in your RPs (if they're still around) or at have your character talk about (if they're not, for one reason or another).

The thing to keep in mind is having fun. You want to play a character that you enjoy playing. Obviously, since it's also about interacting with other RPers, there's a desire to ensure your character is something people would want to interact with. However, it hopefully shouldn't force you off playing something you'd have fun playing - just maybe tweaking it a little or having an explanation handy should people ask questions.

I mean, "an Eorzean who learned Ninjitsu" is not a very farfetched idea at all compared to the things I've seen. You should see the character who was an Allagan bio-android made from the fusing together the genetic code of Odin and Bahamut...

4 hours ago, Aeva Nyuko said:

Agreed with a lot of what you said Valence, and the stuff I agree with is stuff I've tried to give a lot of thought. Though the picture that I got from 30-60 content has been that people from the east are often eager to teach foreigners who actually know about them, though their existence is kept secret. So perhaps finding your teacher would be a big issue, but convincing them to train you, not so much. Maybe I've missed something really key, or maybe contradictions are shown in Stormblood which I've not been able to access quite yet.

It's a bit... well yeah, but the very few characters from the far east in Eorzea we see before Stormblood are either from the little group of refugees led by Yugiri, that are at first very nervous and wary of eorzeans, not knowing what to expect and mostly expecting scorn, and soon they instead open up warmly  because of the warm welcome they get from the Scions. Which doesn't mean that all doman refugees had the chance to get through similar issues (I would wage more the opposite actually, see Ala-mighan refugees). Oboro's group is also totally lost in terra incognita and trying to get their marks. 

Hingan society is like Edo Japan. It's very xenophobic and mostly closed to foreigners. 

Doma is... hard to tell. Possibly more open, but they have been burnt to the ground and oppressed for 20 years by a foreign war machine. But if you recall the first meetings with Yugiri, she seems pretty secretive at first.

A good concept can be exactly what happens in the game story with either Yugiri or Oboro: during the hard times they go through, the WoL helps them so much and proves so invaluable as a friend that they open up on everything.

Edited by Valence
7 hours ago, Valence said:

Which doesn't mean that all doman refugees had the chance to get through similar issues (I would wage more the opposite actually, see Ala-mighan refugees). Oboro's group is also totally lost in terra incognita and trying to get their marks. 

Hingan society is like Edo Japan. It's very xenophobic and mostly closed to foreigners.

A good concept can be exactly what happens in the game story with either Yugiri or Oboro: during the hard times they go through, the WoL helps them so much and proves so invaluable as a friend that they open up on everything.

Yeah I figured there might be some important context I'm missing, trying to rush through the story just for that reason. I'm sure you're right about Hingan society, it's a lot less nebulous/subjective than some of the other issues I've been hearing from people. I'm sure you've seen a ton of cutscenes and NPC dialogue that backs up what you're saying so I definitely believe it.

You do make a great point at the bottom and I do think this is a lot more realistic than some of the ideas I've personally had to get around that. I'm not really sure why I didn't think of it. Aeva's pretty overgenerous with strangers and I could easily see her acting in that way towards a Doman refugee who's down on their luck and facing hard times. And if Eastern culture mirrors Japanese culture that closely then I can see it being likely that this refugee felt the urge to repay that debt back in some form, similar to Yugiri and her people she brought. I'll give some thought on who exactly this refugee would be, and what she did to get on their good side. I can think of a lot of possibilities already.

8 hours ago, Gegenji said:

One of my first RPs was in the Quicksand, with another Lalafell berating me both ICly and OOCly for my character idea. Yet, that was also the RP where several Very Cool People jumped in to defend the little guy.

Thanks for sharing your experience, maybe I'll keep her how she is, I don't know. It's really cool to hear that these people came and defended your character and I'm sure most people fall into that camp instead of the ones who judge and berate for it. Though, the fact you were even berated OOCly at all for it is something that gives me pause too.

I can't help but think that a lot of these problems might be avoided if I made this character, say, an Au Ra from Othard though. Naturally she wouldn't be from Limsa anymore and her backstory is going to have to be really different. There are some aspects of her personality that would have to change because some traits I specifically put in due her upbringing, but a lot of the core could still remain the same. I'll stick with itthough, I do feel like I have good reasons to support her learning ninjutsu especially with Valence's latest suggestion. Though I'm sure there's going to be people who think it's insufficient. I'll just keep Aeva and at least gauge reactions. Maybe it'll work out ^^

8 hours ago, Gegenji said:

You should see the character who was an Allagan bio-android made from the fusing together the genetic code of Odin and Bahamut

Hah, I didn't know people RPed stuff like that in FFXIV too xD . I figured the lack of an in-game RP profile would dissuade that sort of thing. I've seen similar stuff in WoW though for sure :P

Edited by Aeva Nyuko
Made a typo :p
45 minutes ago, Aeva Nyuko said:

You do make a great point at the bottom and I do think this is a lot more realistic than some of the ideas I've personally had to get around that. I'm not really sure why I didn't think of it. Aeva's pretty overgenerous with strangers and I could easily see her acting in that way towards a Doman refugee who's down on their luck and facing hard times. And if Hingan culture mirrors Japanese culture that closely then I can see it being likely that this refugee felt the urge to repay that debt back in some form, similar to Yugiri and her people she brought. I'll give some thought on who exactly this refugee would be, and what she did to get on their good side. I can think of a lot of possibilities already.

Maybe it's a typo but keep in mind that Hingashi and Doma are two different nations with two different (but similar) cultures. 

Hingashi is the one like Edo Japan, closed off to foreigners except in the port district of the city of Kugane (Stormblood city). It is also the place where ninjutsu and the first, old shinobi clans appeared in venerable noble families. And then spread everywhere, in villages, etc.

Doma is something like a mix between medieval Japan and medieval China. The architecture definitely feels more chinese, and they also have samurai and ninjas like japan, but I feel while we got a shitload of hingan lore in Stormblood, the lore about Doma is still very... lackluster. It's still hard to see exactly how their society is/was, and how different from Hingashi it is.

In any case, refugees are doman, mostly. Not to say that Hingan refugees can't exist, but it's a nation state closed to everything where hingans live their lives, mostly oblivious to everyone outside. The hingan characters wee see ingame, like the Samurai NPC trainer, are exiles or travelers, mostly, and are quite the oddity.

Edited by Valence
3 minutes ago, Valence said:

Maybe it's a typo but keep in mind that Hingashi and Doma are two different nations with two different (but similar) cultures.

Huh. Yeah I did typo that, not sure why I typed that. I guess Hingashi was in my head for some reason at the time xD . I know Doma is in Othard (and that Doma specifically was the place that got screwed over, hence the mass refuges from there), and Hingashi is the island to the East of that, yeah. What I meant more to say instead of "Hingan culture" was just Eastern culture in general, oops.

20 hours ago, Aeva Nyuko said:

"Is it realistic for my character to have learned ninjutsu and be open about it?"

Okay, that's a bit simpler to answer. The lore clashes a lot with the game itself, so I guess it can really go either way, but from what I understand (and what I took from the questline, which I only did up to 60), there are some contradictions as to where Ninjutsu actually came from.

WARNING! SPOILER ALERT

In the original plotline (30-50) it's suggested that Ninjutsu -was- something that was learned in a village that was kept secret, and Karasu was believed to have betrayed said village and sold their secrets to the Empire. He did, but he also wasn't pulling the strings, as we find out at the end of that questline. In the questline 50-60, I didn't see any conclusive data that proved one way or the other. Yes, there was a princess who knew Ninjutsu, but I don't recall it ever being stated where she learned it. Nor do I recall it specifically being stated where Yugiri learned Ninjutsu either, just that it wasn't in Sui Sato, since she had to leave in order to learn Ninjutsu, effectively becoming an outcast from her people in order to protect them from the outside. Plus, it wasn't revealed outside that questline beyond the WoL. The WoL is really where lore and what we've come to expect clashes. Naturally, an outsider wouldn't ever be taught Ninjutsu under normal circumstances, but then there'd be no job, and no questline, and no point. I think that's about as far as the stated lore goes. Are there exceptions to this? Yes, as I said before. My Miqo'te is one of them, and I think I have a pretty compelling explanation for it, though I'm not going into it here.

All things said, I don't really have to -agree- with you. It -is- your sub, it -is- your character. My opinion is irrelevant in the end. In the end, it's up to -you- what you do with your character, and people will support you no matter what, just not -everyone- necessarily. Not everyone's going to do things the same as I do, and I don't expect them to.

To answer simply to the above question: "Yes and no, and yes and no." Is it realistic for them to learn Ninjutsu? It can be. Is it realistic to openly claim to know Ninjutsu? It can be. Will it be well received? It can be. Edit: Furthermore, I think it's plausible for knowledge to be passed on via the refugees in Mor Dhona. Unlikely perhaps, but possible. I think a small background leading to Mor Dhona would be necessary to cover yourself there, or maybe not. It's not uncommon, iirc, for adventurers to help out there. In fact, it was a place where recruiting happened for the Crystal Braves. Honestly, I'd forgotten about the Domans in Mor Dhona.

Edit: For inclusion of Doman lore in Mor Dhona

Edited by Suko'to
35 minutes ago, Suko'to said:

The lore clashes a lot with the game itself, so I guess it can really go either way, but from what I understand (and what I took from the questline, which I only did up to 60), there are some contradictions as to where Ninjutsu actually came from.

The game and lore has always maintained that while Oboro and the NIN storyline NPCs were from an isolated village on the outskirts of Doma, that the art of Ninjutsu did not originate in Doma, but was instead brought from an island to the east of Othard several centuries ago by Sasuke during the Age of Strife. The first time it's mentioned is in Gerolt's first relic questline in ARR. The lore book and 60-70 questline later corroborate this and go more into the Hingan origins of ninjutsu and how a Doman version of the art came about.

Gerolt: "It contains an account o' how a Far Eastern ninja named Sasuke brought ninjutsu to Doma. Seems ninjutsu was invented in a land far to the east of Othard's shores─same isle as where Sasuke grew up. The bloke was the best ninja about, so he gets secret orders or summat to cross the sea, an' makes his way to Doma. Life for the Doman commonfolk was shite back then, what with the starvin' an' the poverty. The worst, though, was the bleedin' tyrant what ruled the place! Well, bein' the charitable sort, what's Sasuke to do but teach the smallfolk ninjutsu so they can win back their freedom? So yer man trains some ninjas, an' together they boot the ruler's royal arse off the throne, an' put a dagger in his back for good measure. Well, with the dynasty dead, yer ninjas go lookin' for the spoils o' victory. After that, the lot o' them headed to the outlands o' Doma to build a hidden village, so's to live as ninjas away from pryin' eyes."

Encyclopedia Eorzea - Ninjutsu History: “In the eastern seas beyond the continent of Othard can be found the remote island nation of Hingashi - a word that literally means ‘east.’ An age of strife perpetuated by factions both great and small has battered this isolated archipelago for years untold, giving rise to unique forms of warfare - as was the case with the mystical art of the shinobi. Due to the tumultuous nature of its inception, however, the roots of ninjutsu are difficult to trace to a single origin. Rather, it must be said that the raw techniques devised by the individual factions were adopted on the wider field of conflict, and honed through a process of bloody evolution. Many historians find it easier to focus upon the founding of the various ninja clans. In the mountainous regions where crops struggle to grow, people chose instead to nurture their martial skills. Children were raised into a warrior tradition, and entire families earned a living through their clandestine expertise. And when these shinobi eventually crossed the seas to Othard, the art of ninjutsu quickly found purchase upon its shores. The most famous account of this is the tale of Sasuke, a ninja who established his own clan on the continent before joining with the warlords of Doma to end a tyrant’s oppressive reign.”

35 minutes ago, Suko'to said:

In the original plotline (30-50) it's suggested that Ninjutsu -was- something that was learned in a village that was kept secret, and Karasu was believed to have betrayed said village and sold their secrets to the Empire. He did, but he also wasn't pulling the strings, as we find out at the end of that questline. In the questline 50-60, I didn't see any conclusive data that proved one way or the other. Yes, there was a princess who knew Ninjutsu, but I don't recall it ever being stated where she learned it. Nor do I recall it specifically being stated where Yugiri learned Ninjutsu either, just that it wasn't in Sui Sato, since she had to leave in order to learn Ninjutsu, effectively becoming an outcast from her people in order to protect them from the outside.

Maybe the shinobi village's exact location was a secret, but if its existence was supposed to be secret - it was Doma's worst kept one. Yomei's text seems to point towards the fact that the village used to be a secret, but over time as more and more people on mainland Othard became aware of the shinobi's talents and began employing them at large as retainers, assassins, etc. the secret was no more. In the 60-70 quests, especially, which go into Hingashi's history with ninjutsu, you learn that there are entire clans, smiths, and war heroes who're known by name as famous shinobi. So the only secretive part about the Far Eastern shinobi seems to be that they conduct their missions stealthily. 

Yomei: "My people are the descendants of an ancient clan that traces its origins back to an age of war and strife. My ancestors isolated themselves in a secluded village and devoted themselves to the martial arts, that they might defend themselves and their land from the chaos around them. At first, my ancestors lived solitary lives. In time, however, their martial abilities came to be recognized by mighty warlords, who enlisted their services. So it was that my ancestors came to serve from the shadows, performing assassinations, espionage, and other such disagreeable-yet-indispensable duties. In the early days, my ancestors were known by many names: the shadow, the grass, the silent ones, those who see but are not seen... In time, as our existence became widely known and accepted by the greater populace, the people came to call us by a single name: shinobi, the hidden. Our art - the art of ninjutsu - has been honed through the centuries, passed down from master to student, master to student."

Princess Yatsurugi no Yuki: "Tch, you think me naive enough to trust shinobi!? When Doma fell, we all saw your daggers in its back! Come, Akagi─leave the traitors!"

Encyclopedia Eorzea - Hozan Nagae: “Hozan’s father, Homei, fought loyally in the service of the Doman generals as a foot soldier, but understood well the limits of his own abilities. Not wishing the same disgrace to befall his only son, he encouraged Hozan at an early age to walk the path of the shinobi. During the Garlean invasion, Hozan’s shinobi masters forbade him from fighting, citing the boy’s youth."

Ihanami: "We thought the matter closed, but she never forgot his words. She became convinced that the Garleans would one day come for us. And it was in search of the strength to defend us that she left, years later, to learn the ways of the shinobi..."

While Ihanami's dialogue in SB is vague on where in Doma Yugiri went to learn ninjutsu, the lore book thankfully clarifies that she was taught in the same village as Oboro & co., but that she left the village to pledge fealty to Lord Kaien once she became a jonin. 

Encyclopedia Eorzea - Yugiri Mistwalker: “Having witnessed the terrors wrought by the Garlean Empire, a young Yugiri made the pilgrimage from her Raen home to the village of the shinobi, seeking tools with which she might fight the Empire. Through years of inhuman trails, she learned the ways of the shinobi - how to fight from the shadows - eventually earning the rank of ‘jonin.’ Having thus mastered ninjutsu and being given the epithet ‘Mistwalker,’ she pledged herself to the remnants of the Doman general’s clan."

36 minutes ago, Suko'to said:

Furthermore, I think it's plausible for knowledge to be passed on via the refugees in Mor Dhona. Unlikely perhaps, but possible. I think a small background leading to Mor Dhona would be necessary to cover yourself there, or maybe not. It's not uncommon, iirc, for adventurers to help out there.

Hozan, Higiri, and even a few of the Doman refugee children apparently are trained to various extents in the art of Doman ninjutsu. Yugiri seemed to bring quite a few of her shinobi guard with her when she lead the refugees to Eorzea a year ago, as several of her spies show up during the Ivy quests. So Revenant's Toll might be the perfect place (in Eorzea) for an Adventurer to start picking up ninjutsu. And the camp has actually been an adventurer hub run by the Adventurers' Guild for about 14~15 years now, but only more recently grew into the town it is today thanks to the Doman refugees and Rowena's House of Splendors. 

Encyclopedia Eorzea - Revenant’s Toll: “The Adventurers’ Guild built this new settlement to replace Camp Revenant’s Toll which had long served as a base of operations for the guild in Mor Dhona."

Encyclopedia Eorzea - Higiri Oshiga: “A kunoichi hailing from the eastern mountains of Doma, Higiri claims extensive knowledge of herbs. Since her arrival in Revenant’s Toll, she has abandoned the battlefield for the kitchens of the Rising Stones, where she often experiments with new admixtures while preparing meals for the Scions of the Seventh Dawn. Though she is but a genin - the lowest rank of ninja - she served under Yugiri in the rebellion..."

Encyclopedia Eorzea - The Doman Adventurers’ Guild: “Having encountered adventurers for the first time after arriving in Eorzea, the Doman younglings established their own guild to ‘protect their friends and punish the wicked.’ Though most of their days are spent helping out around Revenant’s Toll, the children eargerly await the chance to set off on their own adventures. They evidently learned much in their homeland, for they can move with astounding agility and even know a smattering of shinobi techniques."

I have my own miqo'te character trained as a ninja - not by living or being born in the Far East / Othard, but by the people Yugiri brought over to teach Eorzeans during the post ARR quests. Slight Post-ARR story spoiler ahead. During the process of trying to stop the summoning of Leviathan, Yugiri noticed how similar Thancred's fighting style was to her own during the post-ARR quest The Gift of Eternity (which has the awesome cutscene of them fighting together). After it's all dealt with, this happens.

USDXilI.png?1

In-game I think this was actually the point that rogues / ninjas were introduced into the game, since I remember learning that the job was added later into release than initially intended. Anyway, that's a plausible way you could go about having your character be trained in ninjitsu. They wouldn't be too experienced, since this only happened a couple years ago in the lore - but since we're RPers we can get away with our characters being talented enough to pick it up a little quicker than average.

6 hours ago, Damien said:

I have my own miqo'te character trained as a ninja - not by living or being born in the Far East / Othard, but by the people Yugiri brought over to teach Eorzeans during the post ARR quests. Slight Post-ARR story spoiler ahead. During the process of trying to stop the summoning of Leviathan, Yugiri noticed how similar Thancred's fighting style was to her own during the post-ARR quest The Gift of Eternity (which has the awesome cutscene of them fighting together). After it's all dealt with, this happens.

Yep! I had the exact same rationale and that moment in the story was a big reason why, actually. Pretty much as soon as I realized Miqo'te couldn't be from the Far East (Which I now realize was a misconception), I looked back on this exact part of the story and felt like I had my ticket.

Keep in mind my original question was if her being open about her new martial art is something that would be scoffed at. The whole "Is it feasible for a miqo'te to learn it in the first place" thing came about due to someone else bringing it up. It was just a given to me that it was good enough of a reason after getting to that point in the story. It's just the "It's possible but you need really good reasons" crowd made me wonder if people just don't consider what happened with Yugiri to be sufficient. I see no reason to think it's not a sufficient explanation myself, but then I saw other people didn't share the sentiment, which can be important when it comes to a social activity like RP. Granted, thanks to their criticism, justified or not, I've got reasons a bit more well-suited to Aeva's character for that Doman refugee to have trained her beyond her just asking for it.

As for her level of experience, I think it's at a justifiable level. Physically she already fought similarly but not identically to a shinobi, and has all of the athletics and acrobatics down-pat. Someone perceptive might notice her movements aren't quite as sharp or refined in the typical martial-artisty way that a shinobi usually is, she fights and moves a bit more wildly than that. Due to her having years of a headstart in the physical department even if it was a slightly different sort of fighting style, she would've insisted on focusing on mudra alone when she started learning. Due to that focused approach she's managed to very recently figure out her second mudra. Though her second mudra is still at times inconsistent and doesn't come as naturally yet, she might screw it up from time-to-time. I do plan on her learning her third mudra through some development via a character arc I haven't given too much thought to yet. Maybe when she becomes a retainer for someone like she's looking to do, after a long while of service she'll learn more about what it means to be what she's striving to be like the whole 50-60 ninja questline. It's not something I intend for her to experience anytime soon though.

Edited by Aeva Nyuko
7 minutes ago, Lydia Lightfoot said:

A key difference between Aeva and a ninja, though, is that a ninja can probably hit somebody with a thrown brownie.

Yay, inside jokes!

LOL xD. Yeah probably. She's yet to master the art of brownie-throwing, pretty shit ninja tbh. Maybe with enough practice studying under Marsazio she'll get there ^^. For now she's content with just stuffing her face with them :P

Edited by Aeva Nyuko