Xaela RP & Racism

Mi Ming

1 hour ago, Fox said:

Yes I am on Mateus, and I originated on Besaid aka Balmung and was on Balmung up until halfway through the Stormblood expac to which, as I stated in my first post I had moved servers. I'm not sure it's conducive to say that it's because of the server. Because these sorts of things still happen on any roleplay server on the game, and personally I'd rather not get into Server vs. Server issues, as it doesn't really help matters and honestly tends to start upsetting people. I'm really not sure what else I can say on the matter that I already haven't said in my first post (at the top of this page) and my second. I wish you luck in your roleplay.

Yeah I guess I missed that- anyway I don't really understand "Server vs server debate" it's a term I hear a lot but that's not at all what I'm intending to do. If you just switched halfway through Storblood then yeah probably rules out server. 

I'm sorry if you thought I was intending to argue with you- that's not my intent, it's merely speculation, speculation I can neither confirm nor deny. I didn't really make this threat to argue with people, it's not an activity I generally enjoy, that counts for debates as well. 

22 minutes ago, Pumpkin said:

Yeah I guess I missed that- anyway I don't really understand "Server vs server debate" it's a term I hear a lot but that's not at all what I'm intending to do. If you just switched halfway through Storblood then yeah probably rules out server. 

I'm sorry if you thought I was intending to argue with you- that's not my intent, it's merely speculation, speculation I can neither confirm nor deny. I didn't really make this threat to argue with people, it's not an activity I generally enjoy, that counts for debates as well. 

Ah, no, I was just clarifying that I personally didn't want to comment much on the whole "Maybe it happens on Balmung rather than Mateus" thing as it has been sore for people in the past. I didn't want to really weigh into that further than I initially did and I can't entirely speak for Balmung currently either. I didn't feel that you were trying to argue, I was just attempting to clarify my thoughts on the server thing and I didn't want to tread on people's toes.

Edited by Fox
7 hours ago, Fox said:

I have with playing characters who have dealt with constant harassment and racism in SWTOR where it became incredibly uncomfortable to play the character. Other people have mentioned they've seen it and dealt with it as well in this forum. I'm rather certain other people in this thread have dealt with pretty heavy IC racism and weren't sure how to deal with it as well at first. Most of the people who have posted here, I've known in some form or fashion since I joined the RPC some odd years ago; and I know they've dealt with griefers before so they're speaking on experience. And from their experience the best advice they can give is to give the things they have in this thread. People like Sounssy and Faye both have given really sound advice off the top of my head. You might not have meant to come off as dismissive but admittedly it's frustrating to give advice when asked then to receive responses like above.  I've tried to write this several times with a number of failures as I am trying very hard not to be frustrated or flippant at this point so I'm going to just stop here before I ramble off more. I actually do wish you a good evening and good luck in the future with your rps. 

I feel like this is not part much of the forum discussion but mostly on a personal thing with me and how I've posted so I'll try to lessen the response as much as possible so that it won't bother the others but I guess it's long now ahhhhh;;;;

However--It was not my intent to sound dismissive and all that to you. If it did sounded like that then I apologize. I was trying to respond to this reply you had for me:

Please read my first post. I have seen and dealt with it, not nearly as severe.

So I was just quoting you on that one. I'm sorry if it sounded dismissive. That wasn't my intention at all :/

We weren't exactly dismissing everyone's suggestions. In fact, I have posted many times that we are taking in everyone's suggestions and comments into heavy consideration and will be doing some of those to not let these things repeat to us. Never have I once dismissed anyone's suggestions though the topic of the post does go out of topic at the end whenever I seem to reply so I'm hoping to not digress and return back to the discussion in the suggestion on how to avoid things and whatnot.

Again. Thank you for your suggestions and for posting here. We are grateful for it. I apologize if it sounded like I was arguing or dismissing. I am not. Really. I'm sorry and I hope you have a good day as well!

Edited by Ayaka
On 4/23/2018 at 6:06 PM, Tregarde said:

That's fine when it's some Xalea about to fight each other, but that's not the issue here. The issue is others provoking Xaela. How does the 4th respond then? Do they immediately pick a side, or try to understand the situation first? If it's clear the Xaela were being provoked do you make everyone leave the city, or just the provokers? How you respond is as important as the fact that you did respond in the first place.

And yes, I did see the link to your handbook, but this is a response to your response. Plus, the handbook wasn't loading on the basic wi-fi on the ferry I ride home.

Few days late coming back here! I think we have yet to encounter this situation, but I like to think that the 4th will de-escalate without prejudice. The "Xaela Epidemic" (snrk, of sorts) has become a kind of interesting player-made ambience/storyline, and we operate on this notion that the Flames as peacekeepers are trying to uphold a better reputation than the Blades. Kale often approaches a situation "You would much rather deal with us than the Blades, trust me."

On 4/23/2018 at 8:03 PM, Ayaka said:

Also--I keep forgetting to quote you but we actually had one of your members come into one of our RPs and they actually handled it very well and we were quite happy to see a Flame officer handling things professionally IC-wise in that situation rather than ignore things.

Kudos to you guys!

That's great to know, thank you! I'll pass the well-wish along \o/

There is nothing wrong with IC Racism. Just getting that out of the way. The Xaela are a very tribal people. I think racism towards them, especially from characters from more uptight backgrounds, is totally normal. Hell, tell my Ishgardian about the Goro tribe and watch their reaction. Racism is a very real and canonical thing in the world of Eorzea and you can't really blame people for RPing that way.

If you and your friends are not open to walkups at the moment but you still want to RP in a public hub then just use party. This solves 99.9% of issues in my experience.

If someone is still engaging in RP with you and you're in party and you're not interested then politely let them know that you're not up for that right now but thank them for the interest. If they continue, blacklist them. Worst thing they can do then  is just....jump on you on something and in my 4+ years on Balmung I've had something like that happen a grand total of maybe 2-3 times. Maybe.

If you want to play a Xaela but aren't open to RP that might involve racism or friction between tribes then...you might want to pick another race, honestly. Or at the very least a less aggressive tribe. It comes with the territory.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Just hanging out and having a good time not hurting anybody,

then there's a confrontation with a stranger, based simply on what you look like and where you come from?

Welcome to how racism works.

This is the authentic experience for racism, with a layer of abstraction in that you are roleplaying / acting, and not experiencing it as a direct attack on you as a person.

Now, roleplaying is a leisure-activity, so no, I don't think people should always express themselves in this sort of confrontational way, even if their characters "would".

But if you have issues with your character being treated badly based on where they're from,

I honestly think you  should just stick with your FC / group.

As an example, If someone's playing a Garlean, and others come up to them who have lost things to the Garlean war of conquest and get in their face: This should not be something that causes you major distress, and if it is, you probably shouldn't roleplay as a character with ties to those controversial things that people in the setting would see as friction-points.

Same for Voidsent, Sin Eater, and Auspice RPers:
These sorts of things have very clear connotations along with them.

The common experience with a Voidsent often ends with fighting for your life and death.

The common experience with a Buduga band in the steppes is violence, sometimes resulting in death, or other vile things.

This is clearly not representative of ALL Buduga, but the reputation travels far, and that prejudice is real in the world.

So when somebody has prejudice toward your character upon learning of their tribe or upon seeing their onyx scales and making myriad assumptions on which tribe they're in, know that it comes from a place of belivability:

And when you are playing a character from that background, region, or group,

then you should know that can happen sometimes.

Edited by Kuus Goose