Suggestion for Site/Forums

Not sure if it's doable with the way the site is hosted, currently or in the future... but based sometimes on how some of the ... high enjoyable threads...

Is it possible to get a chat feature for the site/forums?

😊

I am a horrible employee and people here are wonderful to speak with ok.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if it's doable with the way the site is hosted, currently or in the future... but based sometimes on how some of the ... high enjoyable threads...

Is it possible to get a chat feature for the site/forums?

:blush:

I am a horrible employee and people here are wonderful to speak with ok.

Ooooo a chat implement!

I have no idea whether or not it would work with what the RPC is moving to, but AJAX chat is something I've used on another site for awhile. You log in to use it and they're pretty active on keeping it updated and squashing bugs. I know one of the guys who works on it -- he's always trying new things out and working on improvements (though he recently got a new job so I dunno if that's eating up more of his time).

But yeahhh, it's by far the best forum chat thing I've ever used.

I used to use AJAX chat hosted on someplace for... a facebook game I started to play with a friend until I start to... play FFXIV.

It was a really interesting chat service but the person hosting it (our end) had lots of downtimes.

What you're after is colloquially known in the world of BBCode as a shoutbox.

Productivity for users (both at work and with regards to posting on the site) tends to drop dramatically whenever a shoutbox is implemented. =P

Productivity for users (both at work and with regards to posting on the site) tends to drop dramatically whenever a shoutbox is implemented. =P

Chat is so much more fun than a shoutbox. True story.

This.

Shoutbox is basically like a general response forum thread.

I'm thinking something more like Enjin's chat plugin. But bandwidth is always the first priority of course. I'd rather be able to post in threads than have constant OOC chat if it came down to a decision.

This.

Shoutbox is basically like a general response forum thread.

I'm thinking something more like Enjin's chat plugin. But bandwidth is always the first priority of course. I'd rather be able to post in threads than have constant OOC chat if it came down to a decision.

What this really means is that SE needs to make a standalone linkshell chat for mobile phones.

Chat is so much more fun than a shoutbox.  True story.

Just to clarify: when I say shoutbox, I mean a little box at the top of the forums with active, live chat happening inside. You post, and it uses your forum account name. You usually have font and font color options.

These are also known as a chatbox, depending on whom you ask. Which results in confusion from time to time.

EDIT: Seeing Coat's post made me realize. What I'm talking about, and what is known in vBulletin as a shoutbox, is actually the same thing as the Enjin chat plugin, as opposed to Enjin's "shoutbox". Hence the confusion.

Chat is so much more fun than a shoutbox.  True story.

Just to clarify: when I say shoutbox, I mean a little box at the top of the forums with active, live chat happening inside. You post, and it uses your forum account name. You usually have font and font color options.

These are also known as a chatbox, depending on whom you ask. Which results in confusion from time to time.

Mm, I know. I don't like them -- couldn't tell you why. Familiarity? That could be it. I like things that are familiar. ;) I like having something that pops out, or is in an entirely separate window, with various features that don't typically come with a shoutbox. (but, probably, I'm just really fond of ajax chat and irc)

edit - oh, if we're talking about something that pops out or is in a separate window, then I am, indeed, confused. Ah well, whatever goes.

When I think of shoutboxes I think of these old things... shoutbox1.jpg

Not what I had in mind. AJAX or IRC are more along the lines of what im thinking but then again it does require people to be -on- for them to see the messages...

This is what, in vBulletin, is known as a shoutbox (I imagine it's called the same thing for myBB) :

a2f69ffe182fddc4d72552ccf13fb4d1.png

I managed a vBulletin site for a friend for the better of six years. You could enable these so that you didn't even have to be logged in to use them (you'd sign in as a guest with a guest name). You could also choose to have it as the header of the site regardless of where on the forums you were, instead of the box just being on the index page.

That said, you still have to be ON the website to see/use it.

Maaaaan, why do people gotta go and change terminology for things when I'm not looking.  That's cheating.

It's been known as a shoutbox in BB for at least a decade. Showing your age, Zhi....

The zeitgeist strikes again -- I was thinking about this yesterday, then I got a PM asking about it, and now this thread appears. :)

Once we get onto AWS (Real Soon Now -- like next week, probably) and get all of our software upgraded, chat is something that I think I'd like to consider. Bandwidth isn't too big of an issue there, nor is CPU, but we need to make sure that the plugin integrates well with the site and that it doesn't have any security vulnerabilities. Alternatively, sure, I could put up an IRC server or TinyMUSH and a little Flash telnet client that points right there. I'm quite familiar with those. :)

We actually used to have a chatbox deal a few years back, though it was eventually removed as it barely saw any use. Granted, back then, our active community on the forums was probably 20-30 people strong at best. We had quite a few lulls in activity during 1.0 for various reasons.

I think it'd be a handy tool, now, given this community is bustling with active users these days.

Maaaaan, why do people gotta go and change terminology for things when I'm not looking.  That's cheating.

It's been known as a shoutbox in BB for at least a decade. Showing your age, Zhi....

You're supposed to wait to reply to me until after I go in for the stealth edit. ;_;

(I edit so many things. So many...)

The zeitgeist strikes again -- I was thinking about this yesterday, then I got a PM asking about it, and now this thread appears. :)

Once we get onto AWS (Real Soon Now -- like next week, probably) and get all of our software upgraded, chat is something that I think I'd like to consider. Bandwidth isn't too big of an issue there, nor is CPU, but we need to make sure that the plugin integrates well with the site and that it doesn't have any security vulnerabilities. Alternatively, sure, I could put up an IRC server or TinyMUSH and a little Flash telnet client that points right there. I'm quite familiar with those. :)

How about you get an IRC thing going in the meantime? That way you can make sure it's even worth the effort based off of actual use it gets, and then we all get our chatting urges scratched until the switch is made and stuff?

Pretty pleeeease. :D

How about you get an IRC thing going in the meantime?  That way you can make sure it's even worth the effort based off of actual use it gets, and then we all get our chatting urges scratched until the switch is made and stuff?

Pretty pleeeease.  :D

Like a mibbit thing?