Suggestion for Site/Forums

I bring words of the Wizard!

You can't do anything with the clock, actually. It's synced by EC2 to whatever the EC2 host wants it to be. If you try to sync with ntp, it'll get undone by the EC2 integration services. I first discovered this when trying to run an ntp server on a personal machine.

Non-tech version: The clock will just be set back to how it is now, because of how the server's set up and controlled.

So....RPC will not be going under maintenance for timing.

--

In other news, I've found some plugins that expand our alerts system! (they don't fix the friends/ignore list issue though).

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bring words of the Wizard!

You can't do anything with the clock, actually. It's synced by EC2 to whatever the EC2 host wants it to be. If you try to sync with ntp, it'll get undone by the EC2 integration services. I first discovered this when trying to run an ntp server on a personal machine.

Non-tech version: The clock will just be set back to how it is now, because of how the server's set up and controlled.

So....RPC will not be going under maintenance for timing.

--

In other news, I've found some plugins that expand our alerts system! (they don't fix the friends/ignore list issue though).

I work a lot with EC2 and I've never had this issue. There are a lot of things Amazon says you shouldn't do (like set static IPs inside an instance) that in reality work fine.

Have is actually been tried?

Edit: Looks like it has, but my point stands, It's probably doable somehow.

You've never had a time issue on EC2? I constantly have time issues in EC2 across a wide variety of instances. Their instance time synchronization is terribad. I run a few DCs up there and I've had to adjust the w32tm time sync rate to keep them in sync with the rest of our domain (which syncs from the ntp pool servers).

Anyway, I took another look this morning and applied similar techniques to ntpd on our instance, and we'll see if that can force the clock to where it needs to be.

You've never had a time issue on EC2? I constantly have time issues in EC2 across a wide variety of instances. Their instance time synchronization is terribad. I run a few DCs up there and I've had to adjust the w32tm time sync rate to keep them in sync with the rest of our domain (which syncs from the ntp pool servers).

Anyway, I took another look this morning and applied similar techniques to ntpd on our instance, and we'll see if that can force the clock to where it needs to be.

It looks like we're staying synced!

Or at least, the server time is within a minute of the machines I have around me, which makes me believe it's synced!

• 2 months later...

Few suggestions...

1. Get rid of the Calender as it is now. I honestly forget about the existence of the bloody thing, and I think 95% of the RPC does as well. Just... a forum section, a separate box, and a calender? That's like 3 places for events to be posted. It is a bit overkill. Forum part I totally get existing for managing events and interest checks ect, but the event box and calender both? Eh, not a fan due to often events missing on either of the two.

Like I didn't bloody know about the Grindstone for ages when I came to Balmung, no one of my friend group at the time gone to that event, and I never saw it in the event box, and the calender bit was completely lost upon me. Currently Nefzen's posts are way more reliable than the RPC posts are (even if she does post her event list on the RPC), and the RPC should be on par with it imo.

2. Why doesn't the RPC split up IC and OOC recently updated threads? I think that would be a lovely idea perhaps. I feel IC threads get buried easily.

3. Recent images. Why is this still here? I mean, I love sharing art as much as the other person, but a thread could do just fine on it as well? It doesn't get updated that much... I would personally get rid of it and make place for the IC/OOC recently updated threads I spoke of.

It would be cool if the wiki upgraded its look a bit. I don't mean a software update or whatever, I just mean like... aesthetically. Like a change up from the current starry-background and the logo, and those worn parchment sidebar things. And maybe organize the main page to make it a little less bland & basic.

I mean no offense! It's just that the RPC layout is really nice, but when I switch over to the wiki it's just sort of blah in comparison.

*hides*

Would it be possible to get rid of the youtube automatic reformating in posts when you use the standard [ url ] tag (and not the specific [ youtube ] one) with every youtube url?

It's a tad annoying since I have to go through not very handy and potentially unstable links like tinyurl to specifically hide the youtube adress... 

• 1 year later...

Is my formatting toolbox broken?

Half of the tools seem to be missing, especially the Spoiler tag...

Did I miss something? It has been like that since the forum had gone through big changes months ago...

5a8164eb3294c_2017-06-1710_28_28-PostReplytoRDMLoreHypothesesandDiscussion.png.85971318ab50268c40307dec95018cc1.png

Would it be possible to get rid of the youtube automatic reformating in posts when you use the standard [ url ] tag (and not the specific [ youtube ] one) with every youtube url?

It's a tad annoying since I have to go through not very handy and potentially unstable links like tinyurl to specifically hide the youtube adress... 

Unfortunately no, because the site will automatically try to parse through a URL tag. I've made a workaround for this, but linked created in that manner will not carry over during conversion.

[link=URL_HERE]DISPLAY TEXT[/link]

Is my formatting toolbox broken?

Half of the tools seem to be missing, especially the Spoiler tag...

Did I miss something? It has been like that since the forum had gone through big changes months ago...

If you've adjusted anything of your settings in the User Options page, there's a good chance it set the default MyCode editor instead of the generally more preferred SCEditor.

• 8 months later...
3 minutes ago, Charity322 said:

Is there only one background theme for the RPC or are there options that I just haven't figured out how to change to yet?

There's a darker theme available, but the theme is still very much WIP and will likely be further edited or outright replaced with something else at a later time.

Please see this thread in the announcements section for more information!

This thread's also handy.