[deleted]

It'll probably draw a little criticism but I think only the pickiest of people would avoid people borrowing a last name from other media. I've seen people in the Quicksand RPing at the bar who have ripped their full name from some anime. Hell, I've seen someone on Mateus with an RP tag up that took their character's name from a Pathfinder villain of all things. Personally  my concern when I see characters like that is just how much they're trying to make their character like their namesake. I don't think anyone'll complain about Arthur Leonheart, the paladin with a heart of gold, but Arthur Leonheart, the brooding gunblade wielder, is probably going to have some problems.

Just echoing what Mermaid said. I think just using one part of the character's name, not too many people will care. Ripping the whole and then applying that character to your concept, however, it's pretty likely that will raise some red flags.

That being said, nobody should be able to tell you what you and can't do. It's your game, your money and time and you are free to do as you wish. Just expect a bit of backlash if you do.

Spoiler

Not sure how that surname was spread, or if it was totally unique (I guess not?) in the ff14 setting, but keep in mind that we now have confirmation that Mustadio Bunansa was one of the warrior of light heroes/companions of old Dalmasca during the War of the Lions, accompanying Ramza Beoulve (the story is pretty much the same than in FFT).

Edited by Valence