Spoiler Policy - Patch 4.5 Content Read more... ×
RaenRain

Red Mage Viera

Now that Viera has been confirmed (I’m already obsessed) as a red mage lover and main, I would love advice and help on how a Viera could possibly become a practitioner of red magic! 

The race doesn't really cause a problem for red magic.

Red magic in itself though, technically in lore, is one of the most restricted job there is alongside white mage and whatnot. You basically had red magic practitioners all around Gyr Abania after the 6th Calamity that wiped out the old civilizations of Mhach and Amdapor specifically, and survivors from both gathered in Gyr Abania around what would become later Ala Mhigho, and created red magic, a combination of both white and black with its own spin on how to use it, etc.

When King Theodoric (the King of Ruin) of Ala Mhigo declared the Fists of Rhalgr heretics and traitors, and purged them, and after that started murdering all the royal family, political figures and just random dudes in the population, the surviving red mages formed the "Crimson Duelists" and opposed the king. The only known survivor to this day (to his own words), is the RDM NPC trainer, X'rhun Tia.

So you can see how red magic is problematic to learn. The only option is either to go through him like Alisaie or the WoL did, or go through different, way more arduous paths on your own: libraries (like the one in Ishgard, mentioned in the RDM quests), forgotten repositories like the Monolith in the peaks, etc. Your character will probably have a very incomplete grasp on the art, and most probably do some things very wrong like possibly drawing aether from the planet itself (a thing red mages vowed not to do after the calamity), or not have the proper standard equipment, etc. The simple quest to get the correct RDM equipment, and especially job crystal, will be a hard one.

6 hours ago, Valence said:

Red magic in itself though, technically in lore, is one of the most restricted job there is alongside white mage and whatnot.

As a counterpoint, I very much disagree with this statement. 

In contrast to the arts of Black Magic and White Magic, which were deemed forbidden and their practitioners were put to the torch along with most tomes or histories of the magicks, Red Magic has persisted, as you said, across Gyr Abania for several centuries on and off. You mentioned learning Red Magic on your own via libraries and finding tomes and crystals out in the world as the more arduous path - and while I don't disagree with that - that's the path the Crimson Duelists utilized to rediscover Red Magic only 25 years ago. 

Red Magic died out centuries ago. It was brought back in Gyr Abania around the time of the Mad King's reign to fight back. The Crimson Duelists revived that art, and then they were wiped out not long after. X'rhun being the last survivor. But if the Crimson Duelists could rediscover Red Magic on their own, there's no reason an RP Character couldn't follow the same route. The books are there, and so are the crystals. Maybe find them during an RP event. Or maybe already have them discovered, but they're seemingly more accessible than any profession that's eras older. 

Lore on Red Magic and the Crimson Duelists can be found here!

RE: Viera and Red Magic, theoretically you could learn Red Magic the same way as anyone else trying to. Maybe your Viera left the wood and eventually made their way to Eorzea. Maybe they were a Garlean conscript sent to Ala Mhigo and they escaped when the Alliance drove the Garleans back. Maybe they're a treasure hunter or maybe they're just accompanying a friend or another RPer whose character has interests in Gyr Abania and your Viera uncovered a tome about Red Magic while there. Maybe they just ran across another RP Character who's already a RDM and they just had them teach your character. 

There's plenty of ways to go about it! 

Edited by Sounsyy

On 2/10/2019 at 5:41 PM, Sounsyy said:

As a counterpoint, I very much disagree with this statement. 

In contrast to the arts of Black Magic and White Magic, which were deemed forbidden and their practitioners were put to the torch along with most tomes or histories of the magicks, Red Magic has persisted, as you said, across Gyr Abania for several centuries on and off. You mentioned learning Red Magic on your own via libraries and finding tomes and crystals out in the world as the more arduous path - and while I don't disagree with that - that's the path the Crimson Duelists utilized to rediscover Red Magic only 25 years ago. 

Red Magic died out centuries ago. It was brought back in Gyr Abania around the time of the Mad King's reign to fight back. The Crimson Duelists revived that art, and then they were wiped out not long after. X'rhun being the last survivor. But if the Crimson Duelists could rediscover Red Magic on their own, there's no reason an RP Character couldn't follow the same route. The books are there, and so are the crystals. Maybe find them during an RP event. Or maybe already have them discovered, but they're seemingly more accessible than any profession that's eras older. 

Lore on Red Magic and the Crimson Duelists can be found here!

RE: Viera and Red Magic, theoretically you could learn Red Magic the same way as anyone else trying to. Maybe your Viera left the wood and eventually made their way to Eorzea. Maybe they were a Garlean conscript sent to Ala Mhigo and they escaped when the Alliance drove the Garleans back. Maybe they're a treasure hunter or maybe they're just accompanying a friend or another RPer whose character has interests in Gyr Abania and your Viera uncovered a tome about Red Magic while there. Maybe they just ran across another RP Character who's already a RDM and they just had them teach your character. 

There's plenty of ways to go about it! 

That's why i'm always saying there is another way of learning it. The fact that the Crimson Duelists did through scattered knowledge proves my point. The RDM quest also mentions some locations where red magic knowledge could be found.

I'm not trying to say that it's nearly impossible to learn RDM, just that it's part of the most complicated jobs. It's evidently true that it wasn't forbidden or put under control unlike black and white magic, so it makes sense that knowledge repositories are easier to find, but let's be honest, Gubal is full of forbidden knowledge, a lot of libraries are, and when it's not about libraries, it's about scattered ruins and stuff where control is even less of a thing. 

My point is just that exactly like white and black magic, you can find soulstones and sparse knowledge scattered in the locations native to their old practionners (Amdapor, Mhach, etc), and KojiF confirmed that iirc. When I say one job is hard to learn, and probably the hardest, it's only because one of the single alternatives left to actually learn is through scattered, obscure, rare knowledge, through an arduous and gruesome year long quest, rather than through easier means like other jobs.

Either way i'm not sure we really disagree on principle.

Edited by Valence